Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12   #1
Toyman

Easy Windows/Mac mouse sharing!

Ok, I have to share this new program that I just found via discuss.joelonsoftware.com:

http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/

"ShareMouse" allows you to control any of your PCs with the mouse & keyboard of any other computer. If you have multiple computers on your desk, this is the software you want.

Works better than Synergy. ZERO configuration. And unlike Multiplicity, it also works on the Mac as well as Windows.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:50   #2
JimmyN

I took a look at that and I'll definitely stick with Synergy. Although initial install is probably easier because of auto configuration it's missing some key features that Synergy provides, like copy/paste and more flexible configuration options. I wouldn't call it better than Synergy, just easier to install and setup.

With 3 PC's at my desk it would cost $45 for Sharemouse ($14.95 per PC), Synergy is free.

It only works with Windows and Macs. I have a FreeBSD UNIX system in the mix, and Synergy runs on Windows, Mac, UNIX and Linux systems. It wouldn't work for me.

I would lose my copy/paste between PC's and across platforms, as the clipboard follows the mouse with Synergy. No clipboard function with Sharemouse. I can copy text from a Windows doc, then move the mouse over and paste the text into an email on the UNIX screen, or go the other way. I do that all day long and without the ability to copy and paste across PC's/platforms I'd be backing up 5 years to when I used a KVM switch.

For some it probably is the perfect solution, but personally I'd never use it.
1) No UNIX/Linux versions.
2) No clipboard or ability to copy/paste across PC's - major shortcoming
3) Limited configuration options to set up screen wrapping, direction, etc.
4) I'd have to pay for it.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:04   #3
Toyman

Ya, the clipboard support is on their list of features to add, as this is just in beta.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
synergy multiplicity