SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-25-2011, 21:45   #1
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
Gear Junkies - chinese LED flashlights

I just bought a JETbeam 3M XML (2 cr123) and a BA20 (2 AA) and they're incredible.

The 3M is advertized as 450 Lumen and it is brighter than my Inova T4, Surefire 6PX pro, Streamlights C4 stinger and SL20.

The BA20 is extremely light and significantly brighter than my Inova T4, and about on par with my 6PX pro.

The 3M was $85 and the BA20 is $40.

Money incredibly well spent. Given the quality of these, I would not hesitate to try 4Sevens, Fenix and COAST
Old 08-25-2011, 22:12   #2
rjrivero

I have an Olight M30 that is an incredible torch. The Chinese made lights have come a long way!
rjrivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 22:16   #3
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
I have one that is pretty good. In fact I bought two packages of them. They carry a name called Rocky and have been available at Sams Club for a little while. Three settings, one of which is a strobe setting. Uses 6AAA batteries. The only thing I don't care for are that the springs could be better quality, but it is a cheap product.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 22:17   #4
Chico Bill

I've used several Fenix lights. I've abused an Eagletac P20A2 MK II pretty well and it held up nicely. My single favorite light is my 4Sevens Quark 1AA Tactical Neutral. They are great lights and work very well. They are driving innovation which is a very good thing.

You might want to try the new Terralux drop-in for the SL20X...It turns it into a whole new light...It's 600 lumens and matched my uncle's 600 lumen flashlight so it is indeed a big improvement.

Aim low boys! They're ridin' Shetland ponies!
--The Kung Pow Buckaroo's
Chico Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:11   #5
Gangrel

I use an Eagletac. It's pretty good, but occasionally flips out and wont work properly. Something to do with the switch.
Gangrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:00   #6
toddmog

I carry a Fenix LD10R4 everyday. 132 lumens from 1 AA is sweet. Plus I can twist the bezel and have 9 lumens for reading ID's in the car if I don't want to turn on the dome light. I keep a 6 pack of batteries in my bag too. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a momentary function.
toddmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:23   #7
stopatrain
Lifetime Membership

I have several Fenix lights and they have been good. I would buy again.
stopatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:27   #8
lwt210

I have a ton of LED flashlights and have had great performance from all of them.

I had to send a Nitecore back to 4sevens once but other than that, no problems whatsoever.

I carry two on duty: a 4sevens Quark 123x2 and a Fenix PD30 R4. I prefer the Quark for it's moonlight function (3 lumens) for navigating the dark house in the wee hours of the morning and the theater side job I work.

The tint of the Fenix is much more neutral/white than the Quark so I prefer that aspect. I carry the Fenix in a basketweave pouch and use it for traffic control with the accessory traffic wand.

Both have been lightly abused by drops to concrete and rain soakings. I do use Deoxit red and gold on my contacts to prevent corrosion but I doubt either one really needed that. Ounce of prevention and all that jazz.

I used to be a die hard Surefire fan. Their prices soared while their innovation seemed to lag. They still make a great product but for me, I prefer what I carry now.

Off duty I have 4sevens Mini Quark Ti in CR2 and a Preon Revo SS on my keychain. Stellar performance from both. The performance from the Revo SS with it's sole AAA lithium cell is impressive for a keychain sized, multi function light.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50   #9
Jayman
Big Dummy

Send a message via AIM to Jayman
I've had really good luck with Fenix. I haven't used any of the other brands near as much. I've had one Fenix for over 4 years now, and it is still as good as when I got it. (Looks a little worn from the wear, but still kicking, no problems.) I stopped carrying my issue Surefire and replaced it with a Fenix TA-21, that's how much I prefer the Fenix.
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:13   #10
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero View Post
I have an Olight M30 that is an incredible torch.
I have one as well. With the extension and two 18650 rechargeables it is awesome. The improved tailcap pushbutton switch was a huge upgrade. My M30 is my "go-to" building clearing flashlight because the orange peel reflector gives a great overall flood/spill.

The Fenix LD25 is an incredible 2xAA neutral white LED with very good color rendition and 180-lumens. With it, green grass still looks green, and blood is still red if you know what I mean. It actually penetrates very well, expecially in fog or smoke. Has momentary on and a simple switching mechanism, plus the aluminum body is plastic encased. Chinese made or not, it's a great light for around $60 with shipping.

Warranty-wise the Chinese made lights can never compete with say Pelican which is designed and built in the USA and has a no-questions asked Lifetime Warranty.
in no particular order.........
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:08   #11
Sharkey

I think I have about 8 lights from DealExtreme and with the exception of 1 with a bad switch, they have all been great. Have some all around the house, in cars, and the wife has one.

Bought a Olight at the show and it is a great light. Think it is the M30? Came with the rechargeable batteries. I have an old Fenix that still works but the technology is way better now. It's about the size of a Kubotan so it is my "airport" light.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 20:23   #12
Glock22C

Send a message via AIM to Glock22C
2 weeks ago i got a Trustfire P7 SSC from dealextreme and everyone that has seen it has been quite impressed (takes 2 18650 batteries).

for $39 shipped its hard to beat it.

I doubt it has the same reliability as a domestic light and no warranty, but I'm betting it will last long enough so even with a replacement i will still make out.
Glock22C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 22:37   #13
steveksux
Massive Member

Another option, I picked up a couple Surefire 6p led drop in from DealExtreme, and have been very happy with it. My first report earlier mentioned the one was intermittent, but upon further inspection, there was a little strip of excess solder in one spot, and once I trimmed that off, it's been flawless.

Run time is vastly improved (many hours vs the hour of a stock surefire bulb) and the brightness is equal to the surefire bright bulb. Its a bit more of a spot than the surefire bulbs, but no problem.

The extra runtime allows me to run rechargeable cr123 style batteries, in LiFePo4 chemistry (no explosion potential, but slightly lower runtime than conventional Li-ion rechargeables which are still lower than the single use CR123 batteries) and still come out with many times the runtime of the surefire bulbs without sacrificing brightness.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 08-28-2011 at 22:38..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 17:13   #14
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

I'm a big fan of the Coast lights. I have one on my AR and another one that I carry on duty. Then there is a third one that I keep beside my bed. Great little lights. I buy them from either Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 08-29-2011, 17:26   #15
toddmog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNREMTP View Post
I'm a big fan of the Coast lights. I have one on my AR and another one that I carry on duty. Then there is a third one that I keep beside my bed. Great little lights. I buy them from either Lowes or Home Depot.
What model's do you have? I did a quick search on home depot and found a ton of coast lights ranging from $15-$100. Also, do the models you use have a momentary switch?
toddmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 22:36   #16
rdrkt

I have used a bunch of the deal extreme lights. I think for a cheap light for the car or the house they work great. As far as patrol work Ive had mixed results. Some of my coworkers are constantly breaking theirs others have had theirs for a year or two. I think their trustfire batteries and chargers cant be beat for the price. For patrol use flashlights Im sticking with Fenix. They have good waterproofing, they are much more shock resistant, they have MUCH better thermal management, and they are built to a much higher standard. You can get the Tk21 for a reasonable price on promotive but the TK11 is downright cheap IMO. There is no reason to carry junk when you can get a professional grade lights for well under 60 bucks. The TK21 also fits in the Surefire V70 with no issues.

Last edited by rdrkt; 08-29-2011 at 22:52..
rdrkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 13:51   #17
buddah

Send a message via AIM to buddah Send a message via Yahoo to buddah
I own and use a couple of Fenix and olight for duty use. The chinese lights have come along way. During Hurricane Irene all my neighbors were scrambling for D batteries and all stores were sold out. But they had tons of AA batteries. I just laughed, all the LEO guys use lights w/ AA or CR123 batteries. I was well stocked w/ my surefire CR123 12 pack and AA powered Fenix/olights.
buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 14:27   #18
Aux Bear

Send a message via ICQ to Aux Bear
Mmmmm.

I have a Fenix. When the batteries get low, (after just a few hours use) then the lamp starts to pluse. Not a flash, just a brightening/dimming that is really hard to work under. PITA. I'll stick with my Streamlights. JMHO
Aux Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:40   #19
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmog View Post
What model's do you have? I did a quick search on home depot and found a ton of coast lights ranging from $15-$100. Also, do the models you use have a momentary switch?
Here's the one I have mounted on my AR.
http://www.homedepot.com/Coast/h_d1/...atalogId=10053

Here's the one I carry while on the ambulance.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_305545-13229...n|0&facetInfo=
Old 09-03-2011, 11:47   #20
lwt210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aux Bear View Post
I have a Fenix. When the batteries get low, (after just a few hours use) then the lamp starts to pluse. Not a flash, just a brightening/dimming that is really hard to work under. PITA. I'll stick with my Streamlights. JMHO
It is supposed to do that. That is the low cell indicator letting you know that you better be seeking fresh cells.

I like that feature. Both my Fenix PD30 and my Quark 123x2 do that.

That feature will afford you enough light to get you by until you replace the cells.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_pd30.htm

Regards.

Last edited by lwt210; 09-03-2011 at 11:50..
lwt210 is offline   Reply With Quote