Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-26-2011, 16:20   #1
NoGlamour229

Why do you want to be a police officer?

You all will get a kick out of this. I know this gal, who works at one of our many outstanding hotels. Every now and then I will stop in and chat with her. She is a 20year old single mom who can't seem to figure it out. She is always asking for advice...so I give it. Each time I speak to her, she seems to have a new career choice.

The other day she told me she wanted to study criminal justice. Interested, I asked her why? She advised she wanted to be an Internal Affairs Investigator.

I tried explaining to her you don't just apply for these positions. I was also concerned on why she would ever want to this job?

She replied by saying, "I want to see the good you guys do, not the bad".

I think I sort of crushed her "dream". I of course have nothing against IA. But I do question the motive of those whose only goal is to obtain an IA position.
NoGlamour229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 16:26   #2
siblueg
Gray Area

She must have watched a new tv show.

Last edited by siblueg; 08-26-2011 at 16:26..
siblueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 16:31   #3
NoGlamour229

Quote:
Originally Posted by siblueg View Post
She must have watched a new tv show.
Absolutely! This reminds me of my first day of college. Teacher asks everybody in the room what they hope to do someday. One kid raises his hand and says he wanted to be SWAT. Our professor, a retired police officer, laughs and tells him to think again.

There was also another girl who said she wanted to be CSI. She was informed it wasn't like the TV show. She came back a week or two later and said she found a new calling. Professor asked her what her new calling was. She said she wanted to be an Animal Cop. She apparently saw the Animal Cop show.
NoGlamour229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 17:07   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

One of our guys was involved in an on duty shooting recently. It was clearly a good shoot, by an officer with a good reputation. We are a smaller agency so our IA consists of the chief, two capts, and a statie who comes in for OIS. He told me afterwards he was treated worse than any rapist, murderer, burglar, etc...that we have ever arrested and interviewed.

I was disappointed to hear they treated him that poorly during the shooting. And to make it worse they did not put him on admin leave, they gave his desk duty for two weeks taking walk in reports in the front lobby. He called his PBA rep on the scene and did not say anything after the shooting until he met his PBA rep. I think that is partly why they treated him like crap.

The first thing they said when the first supervisor arrived on scene was "give me your gun, badge, ID, and any BUG's you are carrying.

That, IMO, is pathetic leadership.

Anyone who enters the field with the goal of working IA is a total ******, that obviously has a chip on their shoulder regarding LE work in the first place.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 17:26   #5
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
And to make it worse they did not put him on admin leave, they gave his desk duty for two weeks taking walk in reports in the front lobby. He called his PBA rep on the scene and did not say anything after the shooting until he met his PBA rep. I think that is partly why they treated him like crap.

The first thing they said when the first supervisor arrived on scene was "give me your gun, badge, ID, and any BUG's you are carrying.

Anyone who enters the field with the goal of working IA is a total ******, that obviously has a chip on their shoulder regarding LE work in the first place.
One of the reasons I carry a G27 for a bug, is so no brother or sister of mine will have to walk around with an empty holster after an OIS.

The situation could not get not get much worse for your coworker, so why treat him like crap? Any interviewer knows that you are not likely to get the most information that way, unless you already know all the facts, and the interviewee is being deceptive.

My agency's policy is that the Deputy will be on admin leave until cleared by a psychiatrist, as it should be to ensure the officer will be fit to return to duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 17:27   #6
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

"To protect the property and citizenry of... "

WHy did they take his badge and ID? That is tanamount to being called guilty right from the start. Time to move on.
Old 08-26-2011, 17:42   #7
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post

WHy did they take his badge and ID? That is tanamount to being called guilty right from the start. Time to move on.
Because it was a new supervisor who didn't know what to do IMO.
Old 08-26-2011, 19:58   #8
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

I like the idiots who think they can get hired on as a detective, with their only prior experience being dropping fries in the hot oil at McDonalds.

Those guys are the LE equivalent of the wanna be Harley dudes who don't own a bike, but come up to you at the gas station, telling you how the Harley they will own someday is better than the jap bike you are on.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 20:14   #9
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
One of our guys was involved in an on duty shooting recently. It was clearly a good shoot, by an officer with a good reputation. We are a smaller agency so our IA consists of the chief, two capts, and a statie who comes in for OIS. He told me afterwards he was treated worse than any rapist, murderer, burglar, etc...that we have ever arrested and interviewed.

I was disappointed to hear they treated him that poorly during the shooting. And to make it worse they did not put him on admin leave, they gave his desk duty for two weeks taking walk in reports in the front lobby. He called his PBA rep on the scene and did not say anything after the shooting until he met his PBA rep. I think that is partly why they treated him like crap.

Every time you post I find myself wondering HTF you do the job there.

We have specific policies which state:

Our OIS are investigated by a shoot team consisting of seasoned investigators and DAs from the surrounding area with one or two dept. reps from the home agency.

Our officers are not to be disarmed on scene for any reason. They keep THEIR gun until it is relinquished to the shoot team, at which time I provide them a replacement G22 or they swap gun/holster for their secondary duty gun most guys have.

We have immediate FOP and legal defense reps on scene. Our attorneys showed up at 2:00 a.m. Or 35 minutes after the last shot was fired.

Officers are encouraged to do what they are comfortable with. Make an immediate statement or wait a day or two. Up to the officer.

Officer is immediately provided paid leave and EAP if needed, as long as needed within reason. Or, if the officer chooses, they may return to work immediately, including full duty if prelim reports indicate a good shoot. We are all big boys and girls and are treated as such. At the same time, we are respected and treated with necessary care.
Old 08-26-2011, 20:16   #10
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
It gets this way in corrections. You have someone come in and next thing you know they're wanting to be the boss or some other glorified position when they are still wet behind the ears.

As to wanting to be IA from fresh off of the street, that must have been TV show influence. I don't have a problem with going after dirty people, if they are really dirty, (not just unsubstantiated rumour). Dirty people in my line of work makes it more dangerous for everyone concerned, including the inmates for that matter.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 20:17   #11
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post

Not that I really have to worry about facing this, but thats one reason why I have a CCW permit. I would hand over my ID but its MY guns and I will carry on a CCW thanks very much!
Old 08-26-2011, 20:36   #12
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Not that I really have to worry about facing this, but thats one reason why I have a CCW permit. I would hand over my ID but its MY guns and I will carry on a CCW thanks very much!
Same here. Except they could not take guns from me where I work, since all of our firearms are issued from the work armoury per post.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 21:14   #13
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Every time you post I find myself wondering HTF you do the job there.

We have specific policies which state:

Our OIS are investigated by a shoot team consisting of seasoned investigators and DAs from the surrounding area with one or two dept. reps from the home agency.

Our officers are not to be disarmed on scene for any reason. They keep THEIR gun until it is relinquished to the shoot team, at which time I provide them a replacement G22 or they swap gun/holster for their secondary duty gun most guys have.

We have immediate FOP and legal defense reps on scene. Our attorneys showed up at 2:00 a.m. Or 35 minutes after the last shot was fired.

Officers are encouraged to do what they are comfortable with. Make an immediate statement or wait a day or two. Up to the officer.

Officer is immediately provided paid leave and EAP if needed, as long as needed within reason. Or, if the officer chooses, they may return to work immediately, including full duty if prelim reports indicate a good shoot. We are all big boys and girls and are treated as such. At the same time, we are respected and treated with necessary care.
Sometimes I wonder also. I guess it is knowing that our dept has very few middle of the road guys. Most are either boots or near retirement, and there will be lots of change in the near future. Plus as far as LE work goes the pay is within the top ten in the state.

I gladly pay my PBA dues each year and keep my card in my front shirt pocket.
Old 08-26-2011, 21:27   #14
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I hear ya.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:04   #15
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGlamour229 View Post
Each time I speak to her, she seems to have a new career choice.

The other day she told me she wanted to study criminal justice. Interested, I asked her why? She advised she wanted to be an Internal Affairs Investigator.

I tried explaining to her you don't just apply for these positions. I was also concerned on why she would ever want to this job?

She replied by saying, "I want to see the good you guys do, not the bad".

I think I sort of crushed her "dream". I of course have nothing against IA. But I do question the motive of those whose only goal is to obtain an IA position.
Plenty of people out there whose knowledge of LE comes from TV and the movies. I always smile when some young person tells me they're thinking of LE, and then ask if they can become a detective, CSI investigator or SWAT right away?

Of course, you also have those whose knowledge of LE comes from Hollywood, and are not shy to tell you they know more about police work than the real police.

That's like me telling a plumber I know more about plumbing than he does because I watched every episode of Home Improvement.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 08-27-2011 at 06:10..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:15   #16
EOD3

She probably thinks "Internal Affairs" is when both participants are LEO.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:59   #17
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

i just wanna go fast
Old 08-27-2011, 15:16   #18
AZLawDawg
Oh, Oh, Oh!!

I don't crush 'em, people come up from time to time, I wanna do it, I wanna get on board. I tell 'em what to do, give 'em some encouragement and if they have the drive, the determination and the background, more power to 'em. If not, the hiring process and/or the academy will weed them out.
Old 08-27-2011, 18:39   #19
Nick.45

I recently tested for a local agency and was waiting for the written test to begin with some of the other applicants. Two guys in the front of the room were trying to impress one of the female officers for the department. They were talking about how much they knew about the law from their college classes and how their buddy so and so works for a department out of state and is on the SWAT team and he knows all the ins and outs and wants to be on the departments SWAT team. The officer lets them know that the dept. itself doesn't have a SWAT team but they have a CERT team made up of officers from other agencies. The guys then moved on to wanting to be K9 officers and on the drug task force. Every comment the officer made one of the guys had a story from a "personal experience" that either he or one of his buddies had.

After about 20 minutes of story telling I could tell that the female officer was getting tired of talking to them. Lucky for her the Chief came in shortly after and she was able to leave. Hopefully these turds are quickly weeded out and there are two less people to compete with.
Nick.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 18:46   #20
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

There is a new show on one of the chick channels about a very empowered female officer in a family full of cops that goes to work for IA. I cringe every time I see or hear the commercials. I would imagine that is her motivation.

RE: OIS investigations...there is literally no end to the research and guidelines out there on how to do it right, and it's an absolutely disgusting disservice to all of those peoples' hard work, the officers involved, the profession, and the public to treat an officer the way that some departments do.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote