Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-26-2011, 20:21   #1
puckhead

HUD Housing

Is anyone familiar with the Housing and Urban Development/Officer Next Door Program? I am looking into it a little and if you are willing to stay in an area for at least 36 months it seems like a decent deal. For those that don't know, the program offers a 50% discount on qualified houses and a very low down payment. http://www.fha-home-loans.com/office..._fha_loans.htm
puckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 20:34   #2
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead View Post
Is anyone familiar with the Housing and Urban Development/Officer Next Door Program? I am looking into it a little and if you are willing to stay in an area for at least 36 months it seems like a decent deal. For those that don't know, the program offers a 50% discount on qualified houses and a very low down payment. http://www.fha-home-loans.com/office..._fha_loans.htm
I guess that would depend on how much off duty work you wanted to be subjected to.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 20:43   #3
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Its a bid system.

Its next to impossible to find something worth a ****.

I don't want to be scared to come out for the paper.

-texmex
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 20:44   #4
puckhead

Yeah good point. The area that I am in there are only about 10 available and maybe 2-3 that I would be interested in and are secluded enough where if you keep to your self no one really notices you. The houses are a bit more run down though. I am looking at it as an investment. After 3 years and some fixing up, I would be able to sell it and get a better place somewhere.
Old 08-26-2011, 20:45   #5
puckhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Its a bid system.

Its next to impossible to find something worth a ****.

I don't want to be scared to come out for the paper.
I hear ya! In some places I would say no way! I am up in the mountains though. I will have to take a look and see what my realtor says.
Old 08-26-2011, 21:01   #6
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

That said, I just searched a prospective area we could be moving to if'n I go fed and wow. They have some decent places for under $100,000!

My question, the prices listed on HUD search.. Are those pre-discount???

If so, there is a 2004 production house for $49,xxx after the three year period.

And that whole city is nice. Military base, etc.

Damn!

-texmex
Old 08-26-2011, 21:25   #7
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

For that you really can't beat it.

-texmex
Old 08-26-2011, 21:51   #8
puckhead

Yeah, the prices I was seeing was for the listing price not the discounted price.
Old 08-26-2011, 22:00   #9
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

-texmex
Old 08-26-2011, 22:47   #10
G_34
STUMPY

Quote:
I hear ya! In some places I would say no way! I am up in the mountains though. I will have to take a look and see what my realtor says.
You might want to read some of the finer print. The house has to be in a "revitilization area" which is a pretty way of saying "the ghetto". And it is a bid system, which means that if they receive any other bids that are non "LEO/Fire/Teacher" that they bump you. I too got excited when I heard about this, however, did some digging and found out that it is nearly impossible to swing and if you do the neighborhood will be rough.
G_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 23:00   #11
puckhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_34 View Post
You might want to read some of the finer print. The house has to be in a "revitilization area" which is a pretty way of saying "the ghetto". And it is a bid system, which means that if they receive any other bids that are non "LEO/Fire/Teacher" that they bump you. I too got excited when I heard about this, however, did some digging and found out that it is nearly impossible to swing and if you do the neighborhood will be rough.
Thanks for the heads up! I will have to do my research.
Old 08-26-2011, 23:04   #12
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_34 View Post
Is that Johnson County, KS?

If so, I'd live there. Olathe and Overland Park are still pretty nice, yes? I grew up in L.A. C.A. so the hood in a nice town ain't that bad.

-texmex
Old 08-26-2011, 23:58   #13
CAcop

When I first went to buy a house out of the three choices two were in the worst hood in town. I would have been sleeping with a shotgun in my bed. The other one was a step above a lean-to on a tiny lot on a busy street.

I wrote it off in all of 30 seconds on the internet search.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:42   #14
BULLRUNN
Double Tap

I purchased my house through the officer Good neighbor next door program 10 years ago.. BEST thing I ever did PM me and I can give you the low down...I am looking for another one right now.. BEST program I have ever been involved in.. just wish they would give us a 3% across the board rate...the hard part is to find a house in a good area...
BULLRUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:04   #15
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Is that Johnson County, KS?

If so, I'd live there. Olathe and Overland Park are still pretty nice, yes? I grew up in L.A. C.A. so the hood in a nice town ain't that bad.
Olathe and Overland Park both have about the same thing going. Some parts are a little rough, in comparison to the immediate surrounding areas, but nothing like what KCK or KCMO have to offer on the bottom end. Both are moving south at blazing speed, quickly closing the gap to Gardner and Paola.

Is that where you may end up, at some point?

I can give you a lot of information if you have specific questions.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:35   #16
Straight Pipe

Do yourself a favor and don't do it. I've been down that road before and there is no way that the pros can outway the "Cons".

Also, a lot of people don't realize that any compensation that you get, ie: discount in rent, can be considered income and is subject to incometax. If the complex you provide security for reports it and you don't it can come back and bite you years later.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:36   #17
rdrkt

About 5-10 years ago a LOT of the officers in my dept took advantage of the officer next door program. They got some houses in good areas and those that sold before the housing bust made some big money. However as others have stated the bidding system has been open to a much bigger group and it makes it almost impossible to get the good houses in the good areas.
rdrkt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:36   #18
texan86

I just went through the process of looking for and purchasing a house this summer. I looked into the Good Neighbor Next Door Program, and like was previously said, the neighborhoods were not a place I wanted to live. I was talking to a deputy one night and he told me about the Homes for Heros Program. There are NO restrictions on houses that you look at or decide to purchase. They set you up with a realtor and a lender that are involved with the program, and they both give you large discounts throughout the process and and at closing. Go here and read about it: http://www.homesforheroes.com/

We saved almost 2K at closing. Its worth checking into.

Last edited by texan86; 08-27-2011 at 11:37..
texan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:49   #19
OXCOPS

Quote:
Yeah good point. The area that I am in there are only about 10 available and maybe 2-3 that I would be interested in and are secluded enough where if you keep to your self no one really notices you. The houses are a bit more run down though. I am looking at it as an investment. After 3 years and some fixing up, I would be able to sell it and get a better place somewhere.
Make sure you are able to do that. Some programs cap what you can resell for. They intend on making it affordable for the life of the property, not the life of your time there. Not sure if the HUD agreement is that way or not.
OXCOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:52   #20
Patchman
Florist

The HUD program has definite possibilities if you're flexible in the type of neighborhood you don't mind living in, as well as where your kids go to middle and high school.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote