Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-28-2011, 13:51   #1
mikegun

After 25yrs an ankle holster that works

I found it, after attempting to find an ankle holster that works for me, over a 25yr period, and having owned many many of them, from cheap to very costly, i have found one, that ,is most comfy, does not move around no matter what, does not need a second garter strap, and by chance i have located an ankle holster that works, it is a RENEGADE HOLSTER, MADE IN arizona, A google search will locate one for you, i am so happy i could s..t, or 50 bucks, and money well spent, i dont even know i have it on....I have a model 51, made for a kel tec 380, BUT, due to its tough stretchable material i find that i can carry my smith mod 337 2 in 11 0z, snubby as well as my kel tec 9mm pf-9, in the holster and they all stay put. run jump fall on the ground and this holster will not move and remains comfy.

Last edited by mikegun; 08-29-2011 at 06:09..
mikegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 14:24   #2
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

What do you carry in it? I'm always looking for alternative ankle holsters for my G26. I've gone back to using a nylon Uncle Mike of late.
Old 08-28-2011, 14:55   #3
Sgt127

I am sorry it took you so long to discover them, you could have just asked me.

I discovered them about 7 years ago. Just an awesome holster for a 642. The elastic is finally getting pretty ragged on mine, I need to order another one.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 15:23   #4
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Why Google, they finally have a website: http://renegadeholstersdirect.com/

I love 'em.

BUT - For a hammerless Smith J frame, I cannot recommend their no strap elastic holster model 50. I had a failure with that model; the elastic was too feeble and the gun came out, and this was when the holster was new. I returned it and the woman told me they had some vendor issues with a batch of elastic...

I now use their model 52 which has a leather pouch with a very wide strap; it is great and securely retains the humpback 442 J frame. I also use the model 53 with a Glock 26, it also fits the Glock 19 if you really want to shoehorn a big gun on your ankle.

They are very comfortable and the best I've used, even with the issue with the model 50.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 15:48   #5
PROSOUTH

I have a Galco non-strap retention holster I've had for ten years and worked with it everyday when I was on Interdiction with no problems.

The one mentioned above may be great, but it is going to have to be super great to beat my Galco.
When time stands still as bullets Zoom
Who will live, who will die; we both will lose
PROSOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 15:55   #6
fla2760

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegun View Post
I found it, after attempting to find an ankle holster that works for me, over a 25yr period, and having owned many many of them, from cheap to very costly, i have found one, that ,is most comfy, does not move around no matter what, does not need a second garter strap, and by chance i have located an ankle holster that works, it is a RENEGADE HOLSTER, MADE IN arizona, A google search will locate one for you, i am so happy i could s..t, 40 or 50 bucks, and money well spent, i dont even know i have it on....
The RENEGADE is great.
Old 08-28-2011, 16:28   #7
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSOUTH View Post
I have a Galco non-strap retention holster I've had for ten years and worked with it everyday when I was on Interdiction with no problems.

The one mentioned above may be great, but it is going to have to be super great to beat my Galco.
I've tried Galco and DeSantis, and the Renegade is better.

It's "betterness" comes from the high level of comfort, quality of the velcro, the boot length of the strap (not cut short for skinny ankles like DeSantis), the snugness of the fit to your leg, the good stability and lack of flopping while running, the long term durability (my last one lasted 5 years of daily use and had a lot more life left in it before I switched guns), and the good customer service.

As I mentioned above I had an issue with a model 50 and they took care of it immediately. I generally don't give companies a second chance if they screw something up so for me to still be giving them a good reference means they are doing something right.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
Old 08-28-2011, 18:48   #8
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Glad to see that someone picked up and carried on with the old Rogers ankle holsters. I still have one of the originals that I used for years.

The Renegade 500 is pure rogers ankle holster, one of the best designs ever for a snubbie. it holds the gun snug against your ankle and in the draw your index finger just naturally wipes the retention strap free. And it also happens to be one of the most comfortable ankle holsters ever made.
Old 08-28-2011, 23:06   #9
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I swear by my galco ankle glove for my glock 26. But I am looking for an alternative for my 642. Will have to give this a serious consideration.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:42   #10
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

I carried my Sig P239 in a Ken Null ankle holster. It was so comfortable, I actually found myself thinking I had forgotten it and left it at home a few times. But, I used a Glaco before, too and it was pretty decent as most Galco products are.

Even though I'm retired, I still wear my Galco belt every day. It is over ten years old and I believe it will still be going strong when I expire.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:40   #11
scottydl

Would one of the Renegade "Cozy Partner" be workable for use with patrol boots? I'm still looking for a good BUG option for my Glock 27 on duty. Ankle holster seems like it may be the best option. The website shows all the Renegade models but doesn't really explain what applications they're all for, just described the leather and retention. I'm open to any recommended brand/model really. In case anyone has a used one sitting around, let me know via PM.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:13   #12
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Go with the Galco ankle glove and the boot extension strap accessory.

Last edited by lawman800; 08-29-2011 at 08:13..
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59   #13
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
Would one of the Renegade "Cozy Partner" be workable for use with patrol boots? I'm still looking for a good BUG option for my Glock 27 on duty. Ankle holster seems like it may be the best option. The website shows all the Renegade models but doesn't really explain what applications they're all for, just described the leather and retention. I'm open to any recommended brand/model really. In case anyone has a used one sitting around, let me know via PM.
Yes, the 53 is long enough to go around boots and fits the 26 / 27.
Old 08-29-2011, 17:22   #14
PROSOUTH

I'm not familiar with the RENEGADE HOLSTER, It may very well be the Cat's Meow and if it is I'd really like to see one.

One of the things about an ankle holster and any ankle holster is the Apple and Orange thing. I can see an ankle holster for an Air Weight Snubbie or similar small light weight weapon being contained and comfortable on your ankle, but a loaded Glock, even the 27 size, seems a little heavy and maybe even a little large to control with any holster positioned on your ankle.

My Galco Retention Ankle Glove has rode comfortably inside my left ankle for years with the 442 S&W riding in it. I also have the extension for the Matterhorn's and Danners to allow its use on them.

One of the most favored attributes of the Galco Retention Holster is the fact that there is no strap on the model I use. Brother let me tell you that mine has been involved in many rough fights on the side of the Interstate and foot pursuits with never a slip.

I guess ankle holsters are like wives, ya just gotta keep tryin' till you find one that is just right, and brother have I got a box full of used holsters too.

lol
When time stands still as bullets Zoom
Who will live, who will die; we both will lose
PROSOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 19:25   #15
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSOUTH View Post
I guess ankle holsters are like wives, ya just gotta keep tryin' till you find one that is just right, and brother have I got a box full of used holsters too.
Well with a little planning and foresight, I've managed to keep the first and only wife I ever plan on having... so ideally I wouldn't mind getting the holster right on the first try as well.
Old 08-29-2011, 20:12   #16
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I still prefer three thumb snap over a velcro strap though, just because I like the stealth feature of a silent release instead of the"riiiiip" of the velcro. You know, ninja stuff and all.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:14   #17
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
I carried my Sig P239 in a Ken Null ankle holster. It was so comfortable,
Ken Null holsters are great, they are virtually works of art and last forever. I had one for my S&W M38 and wore it for months with no problem, ( it was the open top model that used the hand fitted molding for retention) Until the day I bailed out of the car and had to jump a big ditch to run a guy down. On the way back to the car I found my M38 laying on the ground near the edge of the ditch.

Still love Null holsters just don't use the open top models anymore.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 08-30-2011 at 18:19..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15   #18
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
I still prefer three thumb snap over a velcro strap though, just because I like the stealth feature of a silent release instead of the"riiiiip" of the velcro. You know, ninja stuff and all.
By the time you are drawing your backup gun in the line of duty, the noise it makes coming from the holster will be the least of your concerns.
Old 08-30-2011, 13:41   #19
buddah

Send a message via AIM to buddah Send a message via Yahoo to buddah
I've tried them all (17.5 yrs. in L.E carrying a badge and gun)and I rank them in this order:

1)Alessi ankle holster-If you have the $$ then this is the rolls royce of ankle rigs.

2)Galco ankle rig- Very comfortable and reasonably priced. Volkswagon of ankle holsters.

3)Renegade ankle rig- Priced right. Same type of elastic and padding as galco but holster is not very molded/form fitting. Very comfortable but gun doesn't fit as well in the holster like the other 2 brands.Crown vic of ankle rigs.

Just my $.02. you can't go wrong w/ any of the above three models.
buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 15:52   #20
scottydl

buddah what make/models of weapons have you carried in those respective ankle rigs?