Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-29-2011, 18:23   #1
Deputydave

Well, just got a G23...

...after wanting one for about 17 years. Just never got around to getting or trading for one until now. I was browsing another firearm board that I occasionally frequent and someone was looking to trade a G23 for a G19. I happened to have an extra G19 so I contacted him and did the trade.

Up until now, the other G19 that I have was my off-duty gun. I'm going to make this the HD gun now for a few reasons; first, the 9mm is easier for my wife to use. Secondly, I'm always concerned about the noise indoors and know the 9mm would probably be less of a boom than the .40 since. And finally, I have more G19 mags right now than G23 rounds.

My opinion is that all the service calibers are very close in terminal ballistics (see the link in my sig line) with modern ammunition. But I wanted the G23 for some time and know the .40 is a good round. So the G23 will be my new off-duty gun. One of the factors that I always consider is four-legged critters. No, I'm not talking about grizzlies or elephants. Rather, rabid animals such as dogs and such when I'm out walking. I'd like a larger and heavier round than the 9mm for such circumstances while still having a good round for two-legged critters.

I'm going to take a look at perhaps the Win PDX1 180 or maybe see what the WWB has to offer (thinking it's a 180?). Or if I can get my hands on Speer GD. Our agency has used the GD successfully when we carried 9mm Beretta's and now that we have .45 G21's we still use the GD so I know the .40 offering will be a good choice as well.

Thanks for reading

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 21:46   #2
smokin762

Congratulations on getting a G23.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I bought my G23 new back in the early 1990ís. I am now on my second set of night sights and I replaced the barrel with a KKM barrel.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
My G23, has been one of my HD guns since it was new. I have also been using it as one of my winter carry CCW guns since I got my permit in 2004. <o:p></o:p>
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:26   #3
FLSlim

Welcome to the 40 and G23, hope you like it! Mine has been super -- never any issues. With me behind the trigger, it isn't quite as accurate as my G30 (the 30 continually amazes me), but is plenty accurate for any defensive situation. Have fun, be safe.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 14:06   #4
Deputydave

Thank you both.

I looked at both the 165 & 180 in Win PDX1. Both were nearly identical in actual performance. I went with the 165 as that is what Wally World had in stock. I figured this was a good choice as I already have a 50 round box of 165 FMJ and Wally World also had 165 in 50 and 100 value packs. This way I can practice with the same weight round.

I've had a couple of 30's and a 36 over the years. I was also amazed at the accuracy of the 30. I'm hoping the 23 will provide the same result.

I forgot to mention in the OP, I also have a .357sig barrel that I got in a trade years ago as an extra but never had a use for it. Don't know the make as it isn't labeled. But at least I have the swap out in case I want to shoot .357sig.

Old 08-31-2011, 20:53   #5
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
Thank you both.
I forgot to mention in the OP, I also have a .357sig barrel that I got in a trade years ago as an extra but never had a use for it. Don't know the make as it isn't labeled. But at least I have the swap out in case I want to shoot .357sig.
I once made the mistake of buying a .357 Sig conversion barrel for my G23. I now own a G32 also. They are a little addictive. The G19, G23 and G32 fit my hands really well.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Old 09-01-2011, 09:34   #6
Deputydave

I had a G32 years ago which I believe is where I got the extra barrel. When I traded it off (don't remember what for) the guy didn't need the extra barrel so I've just kept it with all the other gun stuff in the closet.

Guess I should pull it out and stick it in and make sure it fits the G23 just in case I need a 9mm on steroids.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:07   #7
bac1023

Congrats on the G23.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 16:28   #8
Deputydave

Finally got a chance to try the G23 out at the range. I was at my annual firearm requal with the G21. During lunch I put 100 rounds down range. Very impressed with the accuracy! Also impressed with the tame recoil. Accurate follow-up shots were very easy.

I polished the barrel afterwards when I cleaned the gun. Took some 000 steel wool and Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish and went to work. Took about 40 minutes to get a really nice looking SS barrel.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:11   #9
smokin762

Out of my four Glocks, I am most accurate with my G30 and G23. They are both very similar in accuracy for me. It might be though that I have had them the longest and have had plenty of time at the range with them. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Old 11-07-2011, 09:44   #10
bruzer

Congratulations.
Mike
bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 23:43   #11
Poohgyrr
trout fear me!

Congrats, I really like the G23. Just add mags, good sights, ammo, and spare parts.
Snoopy Lives!! Luke 22:36 Ephesians 4:26-32
357Sig Club #3531 S&W Club #10 BHP Club #35
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Poohgyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 18:22   #12
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Good deal, the G23 is a great option. If you want some good, cheap ammo, I have found the 100-pack 180gr Remington JHP you can buy at wal-mart to be a fantastic low-cost JHP. It's accurate and they mushroom really well.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:15   #13
RangeRover

Congrats.

I have the same set up as you. Here is what I did. YMMV. We use our G19 for home defense and my wife takes the G19 when going out. I usually carry my G23. I got a Lonewolf 40-9 conversion barrel (Be careful because I think the LW barrel for the Gen3 is different than their barrel for Gen4. I'd at least check that.) With this set up, I can practice 9mm with my wife and carry .40 if I want to. For woods carry in the WV, KY, Ohio area, I went to double tap and got some 200gr WFNGC @ 1050fps from a Glock 23! I figure this should suit me well enough. Since my 40-9 conversion barrel has been flawless for over 1000 rounds, I don't hesitate to carry it for SD if I think a G19 would serve me better than a G23 (read going into a big city where multiple attackers would be more likely)
RangeRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 00:33   #14
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
...after wanting one for about 17 years. Just never got around to getting or trading for one until now. I was browsing another firearm board that I occasionally frequent and someone was looking to trade a G23 for a G19. I happened to have an extra G19 so I contacted him and did the trade.

Up until now, the other G19 that I have was my off-duty gun. I'm going to make this the HD gun now for a few reasons; first, the 9mm is easier for my wife to use. Secondly, I'm always concerned about the noise indoors and know the 9mm would probably be less of a boom than the .40 since. And finally, I have more G19 mags right now than G23 rounds.

My opinion is that all the service calibers are very close in terminal ballistics (see the link in my sig line) with modern ammunition. But I wanted the G23 for some time and know the .40 is a good round. So the G23 will be my new off-duty gun. One of the factors that I always consider is four-legged critters. No, I'm not talking about grizzlies or elephants. Rather, rabid animals such as dogs and such when I'm out walking. I'd like a larger and heavier round than the 9mm for such circumstances while still having a good round for two-legged critters.

I'm going to take a look at perhaps the Win PDX1 180 or maybe see what the WWB has to offer (thinking it's a 180?). Or if I can get my hands on Speer GD. Our agency has used the GD successfully when we carried 9mm Beretta's and now that we have .45 G21's we still use the GD so I know the .40 offering will be a good choice as well.

Thanks for reading

Hey DD, congrats on your G23. I tell ya although I carry a 45, I do like the G23 very much. I screwed around and sold the last three I think it was I had.. Really dumb.

I have used and tested the WW 189gr PDX1's and the Speer 180 Bonded. 6 of one halsf dozen of another there, except the PDX1 does seem to get better penetration.. Through various barrier test from bone/water/sheet rock/ and other assorted media, the PDX1 does real good amigo. I am a penetration junkie, and have seen to many various JHP's end up like ball anyway, and I must admit the PDX1 sometimes looks reloadable as well through various media. The FBI has made this round their offical round as I am sure you know. This does not really mean to much and then again it does.

What I mean is the Goverment does not always make the smartest decisions. (surprise) ha. Sometime they do. I think this time they nailed it !

I am a heavy for caliber guy in everything I shoot, so in my quest for the best thing (for me) that I felt confident with in about any situation is the PDX1 , 180gr. I like it in the 147gr 9mm as well. They both (again to say) get very good deep penetration. I like a minimum of 14" in jello test, or even the wet pack/or water. I know some look down on these test, and there are better to be sure. But when we placed bone and material, and other media along with the water bags, IMO the results were what i need and was looking for. Yes, good for rabid dogs, and even cougars. We got a good crop of big cats on the ranch here, but leave them alone, unless livestock is being threatened.

Any way, before i go on and on here. I think ya made a great choice, and I do suggest this ammo or the Ranger T series 180gr bonded, or the 180 GD.

But man, I always come back to that WW PDX1.. They (i think) got a real winner on this load/bullet. Hey I dropped the XTP back to second place in my 45acp and 40S&W, and 9mil to go with the PDX1.

I wish ya good luck with all of it, 'and stay safe out there', and thanks for your service amigo !

Good shooting DD !

CanyonMan

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote