GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 06:43   #1
mt920
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 891
Question for LEOs: Support conceal carry or not?

This question is for law enforcement officers.

Given the noise across the country with "gun control" these days by politicians and civilians. I was wondering if you, those who lives are threatened by protecting us from the madness of society support "conceal carry" or not.

The LEOs that I know are split on this topic. One will argue that a normal civilian (professional) such as myself should be able to himself and his family. Others argue that with the concern of inexperienced shooters innocent by-standers could be at risk.

Again, "conceal carry" is a topic vigorously argued and heard by those who don't face to danger the most.

Therefore, LEOs, what are your thoughts surrounding "conceal carry". Should we have it or not?
mt920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:37   #2
bobcat21
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Posts: 31
I totally support it. It may, possibly, make my job a bit more complicated at times, but that is not a valid reason to prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising their right to self-protection.

On a more personal level, most of my family/friends are not LEO, and they deserve the same opportunity to protect themselves as I have.
bobcat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:53   #3
ghstface38
Five-O
 
ghstface38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Area around Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,075
Yes I support legally armed citizens. Yes I conceal carry off duty.
__________________
Sam Spade: [5] If you're a cop, you really do act politely and have a plan to kill everyone. Gacy really did look like a clown. McVeigh was a pretty clean-cut kid. You're hunting bad people, and sooner or later you're going to find them. Sadly, they look nothing like the villians on TV, and there's no creepy music as a clue. Plan for it, and watch the hands.
ghstface38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02   #4
collim1
Shower Time!
 
collim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 9,955
I carried with a CCW permit before starting in LE work. I have no problem with it. It is pretty common in my area, I stop alot of folks with CCW permits each weeks. It causes me no concern.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03   #5
k9medic
Senior Member
 
k9medic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: at an LZ near you
Posts: 1,609
I don't fear law abiding citizens. It's the ones who don't bother to get a permit that I have a problem with - they are not law abiding.

CCW is great. Too bad we can't expand it to all states like LEOSA.
__________________
K9 "Prince" 03/04/05 Goodbye my good friend

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40   #6
merlynusn
Senior Member
 
merlynusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 3,265
I think concealed carry is good. I don't mind law abiding citizens owning and carrying guns.

But having a CCW does not make you a perfect angel. We actually just locked up two over the weekend for violent crimes.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:46   #7
Panzergrenadier1979
Keystone Cop
 
Panzergrenadier1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,139
I completely support CCW. I carried concealed before I was LE. It's our constitutional right, as Americans, to do so.
__________________
"If you stopped yourself every time you said, 'I have to', and change it to, 'I get to', it might change your entire experience."
Deputy Kyle Pagerly, Berks Co.Sheriff's Office, PA. EOW 6/29/2011.


Panzergrenadier1979 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:55   #8
DOrth
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 98
Support H.R. 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
I don't fear law abiding citizens. It's the ones who don't bother to get a permit that I have a problem with - they are not law abiding.

CCW is great. Too bad we can't expand it to all states like LEOSA.
H.R. 822 would require states to recognize other states CHLs like they do D.L.'s

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...=189&issue=003

I wouldn't mind seeing every state passing Vermont style carry = no permit or license required for open or concealed carry for any adult who may legally purchase and possess handguns.

A friend, fellow church member, husband and father who was the first Police Officer ever murdered in the line of duty was shot and killed in December 2009 on a traffic stop by a licensed Pharmacist who had a CHL and was carrying a Glock 21 purchased by his brother who was a Trussville Police Officer. His murderer was found guilty and sentenced to death earlier this year.

I've stopped hundreds of CHL holders who've never given me a reason to feel the least bit apprehensive, but I direct all adult (including teenagers) to please keep their hands on the steering wheel, dash or back of the front head rest until I've concluded my traffic stop whether they tell me they have a CHL or not or tell me there are firearms in the car when asked.

I presume everyone I come into contact with over the age of 12 to be armed and watch their hands. If I suspect them of committing a crime or have a reasonable suspicion I pat them down to make sure (Terry stop).
DOrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:01   #9
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
Sam Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 20,768
Back when it mattered, I taught CCW courses. So, yes, I support it and have done a bit to advance it.

OP, you say that cops in your area are "split". What area of the country is that, and what split are you seeing?
__________________
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:41   #10
Snowman92D
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat21 View Post
I totally support it. It may, possibly, make my job a bit more complicated at times, but that is not a valid reason to prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising their right to self-protection.

On a more personal level, most of my family/friends are not LEO, and they deserve the same opportunity to protect themselves as I have.
Snowman92D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49   #11
BULLRUNN
Double Tap
 
BULLRUNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 723
If your old enough to apply for a permit and can pass the background then I think EVERYONE should pack a gun..remember when SECONDS count us cops are MINUTES away...
BULLRUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:41   #12
Sippo
Senior Member
 
Sippo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt920 View Post
This question is for law enforcement officers.

Given the noise across the country with "gun control" these days by politicians and civilians. I was wondering if you, those who lives are threatened by protecting us from the madness of society support "conceal carry" or not.

The LEOs that I know are split on this topic. One will argue that a normal civilian (professional) such as myself should be able to himself and his family. Others argue that with the concern of inexperienced shooters innocent by-standers could be at risk.

Again, "conceal carry" is a topic vigorously argued and heard by those who don't face to danger the most.

Therefore, LEOs, what are your thoughts surrounding "conceal carry". Should we have it or not?
1. 2nd Amendment = the Law of the Land
2. LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

...Seems to me our job is to promote the law.
__________________
NRA Patron Member

You're right, Mr President. Central PA does love their guns and religion.

Last edited by Sippo; 08-30-2011 at 12:43..
Sippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:44   #13
Ajon412
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ. Don't hold it against me
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLRUNN View Post
If your old enough to apply for a permit and can pass the background then I think EVERYONE should pack a gun..remember when SECONDS count us cops are MINUTES away...
This.....100%
__________________
"A man's got to know his limitations."-Harry Callahan
“...Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing”
“The difficult is what takes a little time. The impossible is what takes a little longer.”
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 13:05   #14
Ajon412
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ. Don't hold it against me
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOrth View Post
H.R. 822 would require states to recognize other states CHLs like they do D.L.'s

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...=189&issue=003

I wouldn't mind seeing every state passing Vermont style carry = no permit or license required for open or concealed carry for any adult who may legally purchase and possess handguns.

A friend, fellow church member, husband and father who was the first Police Officer ever murdered in the line of duty was shot and killed in December 2009 on a traffic stop by a licensed Pharmacist who had a CHL and was carrying a Glock 21 purchased by his brother who was a Trussville Police Officer. His murderer was found guilty and sentenced to death earlier this year.
I've stopped hundreds of CHL holders who've never given me a reason to feel the least bit apprehensive, but I direct all adult (including teenagers) to please keep their hands on the steering wheel, dash or back of the front head rest until I've concluded my traffic stop whether they tell me they have a CHL or not or tell me there are firearms in the car when asked.

I presume everyone I come into contact with over the age of 12 to be armed and watch their hands. If I suspect them of committing a crime or have a reasonable suspicion I pat them down to make sure (Terry stop).
I'm sorry for your loss, brother. Is this the incident:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/05/...ial_of_ma.html

Can you shed any addtional light on this?? The article mentions the defense argued and played the "mental illness" card for the BG.....
__________________
"A man's got to know his limitations."-Harry Callahan
“...Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing”
“The difficult is what takes a little time. The impossible is what takes a little longer.”
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 13:38   #15
Glock411
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 92
I have known and met a lot of LEO's and I never met one who did not support some type of carry permit, When I lived in Orange county CA, The Capitan of our Local Police Dept. wrote me a recommendation letter for my conceled carry permit,
__________________
G21 = 4, G21 = 2 OD, G30 = 2
G22 = 2, G19 = 2 OD, G27 = 1
Glock411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 13:51   #16
Agent6-3/8
Senior Member
 
Agent6-3/8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The ramparts of civilization
Posts: 11,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstface38 View Post
Yes I support legally armed citizens. Yes I conceal carry off duty.





I carried on a CCW before going into LE and I'm currently carrying on a CCW while I look for another department.
__________________
"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir
Agent6-3/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 13:53   #17
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock
 
mrsurfboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,711
I support CCW as long as they are properly trained and have to qualify twice a year like I have to.
__________________
Sig P225/S&W 60, 66, M&P 45, M&P 9c, 1911SC/Glock G22 Gen4, G23 Gen4 & G36/Kimber Pro Tactical II/Ruger Mk II/H&K P30, 45c/Colt Defender
mrsurfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 13:56   #18
danielspdx
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 90
12+ years on the job and I support Constitutional carry. If someone is legal to own a gun, IMO, they should be able to carry. While I like the idea of training, the local requirements for training are laughable at best. If .gov offered minimal free training, I would support it, but like most things, I think licensing is about money, not safety.
danielspdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 13:59   #19
trifecta
Senior Member
 
trifecta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippo View Post
1. 2nd Amendment = the Law of the Land
2. LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

...Seems to me our job is to promote the law.
I'm clearly on Facebook too much as I found myself immediately looking for the "Like" button.



I wonder if there are regional differences in opinion- like a state or area with a rep for being gun unfriendly having officers that are also less inclined to support concealed carry rights.
__________________
Your laminated Chuck Norris Fan Club card won't do you any good when you walk onto a 2 way range.
trifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 14:04   #20
mildot
Senior Member
 
mildot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 296
__________________
There's going to be more shooting, more people are going to die. I didn't start it, but I mean to see it through.
Certified Glock Armorer
mildot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 14:10   #21
Nine Shooter
Average Guy
 
Nine Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 809
I support CCW and would hope everyone I have dealings with that has one is a responsible shooter and firearm owner. Usually the only times we have negative run-ins with CCW holders is seizing one after someone gets a DUII or some sort of pre-trial release condition. Both of these are fairly rare, which in my mind means that most CCW holders are responsible in other aspects of their lives as well.
Nine Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 14:34   #22
ray9898
Senior Member
 
ray9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,162


I had a CCW permit long before a badge. I have always supported and always will support law abiding citizens to have a means of protection.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 14:36   #23
boomhower
Senior Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,278
I am completely in agreement with lawful citizens being armed.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 15:06   #24
RVER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLRUNN View Post
If your old enough to apply for a permit and can pass the background then I think EVERYONE should pack a gun..remember when SECONDS count us cops are MINUTES away...
10-4 that. It costs approximately $35,000.00 per year to keep a felon locked up in a state prison VS $4.50 (the price of 3 Corbon DPX's) for a citizen to put an end to said felon's criminal career. Forever. Just sayin...

I certainly would support if a portion of my tax dollars were spent on background / psychological checks, training, and the arming of "volunteer" citizen crime watch groups.
RVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 15:57   #25
msu_grad_121
BOOSH
 
msu_grad_121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW Burbs
Posts: 2,553
I have no problem with CPL holders, and in fact if it were up to me, I'd get rid of most of the "pistol-free zones" in MI. The majority of them are laughable at best. The only negative I've seen is that a lot of CCW'ers I know are pushing for the OC thing all the sudden. Again, another can of worms I'm not gonna open.
__________________
The name on the left side of your chest represents who you work for. The name on the right side of your chest represents who raised you. Make them both proud.
msu_grad_121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,177
384 Members
793 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42