GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:43   #1
mt920

Question for LEOs: Support conceal carry or not?

This question is for law enforcement officers.

Given the noise across the country with "gun control" these days by politicians and civilians. I was wondering if you, those who lives are threatened by protecting us from the madness of society support "conceal carry" or not.

The LEOs that I know are split on this topic. One will argue that a normal civilian (professional) such as myself should be able to himself and his family. Others argue that with the concern of inexperienced shooters innocent by-standers could be at risk.

Again, "conceal carry" is a topic vigorously argued and heard by those who don't face to danger the most.

Therefore, LEOs, what are your thoughts surrounding "conceal carry". Should we have it or not?
mt920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:37   #2
bobcat21

I totally support it. It may, possibly, make my job a bit more complicated at times, but that is not a valid reason to prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising their right to self-protection.

On a more personal level, most of my family/friends are not LEO, and they deserve the same opportunity to protect themselves as I have.
bobcat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:53   #3
ghstface38
Five-O

Yes I support legally armed citizens. Yes I conceal carry off duty.
Sam Spade: [5] If you're a cop, you really do act politely and have a plan to kill everyone. Gacy really did look like a clown. McVeigh was a pretty clean-cut kid. You're hunting bad people, and sooner or later you're going to find them. Sadly, they look nothing like the villians on TV, and there's no creepy music as a clue. Plan for it, and watch the hands.
ghstface38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

I carried with a CCW permit before starting in LE work. I have no problem with it. It is pretty common in my area, I stop alot of folks with CCW permits each weeks. It causes me no concern.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03   #5
k9medic

I don't fear law abiding citizens. It's the ones who don't bother to get a permit that I have a problem with - they are not law abiding.

CCW is great. Too bad we can't expand it to all states like LEOSA.

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40   #6
merlynusn

I think concealed carry is good. I don't mind law abiding citizens owning and carrying guns.

But having a CCW does not make you a perfect angel. We actually just locked up two over the weekend for violent crimes.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:46   #7
Panzergrenadier1979
Keystone Cop

I completely support CCW. I carried concealed before I was LE. It's our constitutional right, as Americans, to do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Panzergrenadier1979 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:55   #8
DOrth

Support H.R. 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
I don't fear law abiding citizens. It's the ones who don't bother to get a permit that I have a problem with - they are not law abiding.

CCW is great. Too bad we can't expand it to all states like LEOSA.
H.R. 822 would require states to recognize other states CHLs like they do D.L.'s

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...=189&issue=003

I wouldn't mind seeing every state passing Vermont style carry = no permit or license required for open or concealed carry for any adult who may legally purchase and possess handguns.

A friend, fellow church member, husband and father who was the first Police Officer ever murdered in the line of duty was shot and killed in December 2009 on a traffic stop by a licensed Pharmacist who had a CHL and was carrying a Glock 21 purchased by his brother who was a Trussville Police Officer. His murderer was found guilty and sentenced to death earlier this year.

I've stopped hundreds of CHL holders who've never given me a reason to feel the least bit apprehensive, but I direct all adult (including teenagers) to please keep their hands on the steering wheel, dash or back of the front head rest until I've concluded my traffic stop whether they tell me they have a CHL or not or tell me there are firearms in the car when asked.

I presume everyone I come into contact with over the age of 12 to be armed and watch their hands. If I suspect them of committing a crime or have a reasonable suspicion I pat them down to make sure (Terry stop).
DOrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:01   #9
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Back when it mattered, I taught CCW courses. So, yes, I support it and have done a bit to advance it.

OP, you say that cops in your area are "split". What area of the country is that, and what split are you seeing?
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:41   #10
Snowman92D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat21 View Post
I totally support it. It may, possibly, make my job a bit more complicated at times, but that is not a valid reason to prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising their right to self-protection.

On a more personal level, most of my family/friends are not LEO, and they deserve the same opportunity to protect themselves as I have.
Snowman92D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49   #11
BULLRUNN
Double Tap

If your old enough to apply for a permit and can pass the background then I think EVERYONE should pack a gun..remember when SECONDS count us cops are MINUTES away...
BULLRUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:41   #12
Sippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt920 View Post
This question is for law enforcement officers.

Given the noise across the country with "gun control" these days by politicians and civilians. I was wondering if you, those who lives are threatened by protecting us from the madness of society support "conceal carry" or not.

The LEOs that I know are split on this topic. One will argue that a normal civilian (professional) such as myself should be able to himself and his family. Others argue that with the concern of inexperienced shooters innocent by-standers could be at risk.

Again, "conceal carry" is a topic vigorously argued and heard by those who don't face to danger the most.

Therefore, LEOs, what are your thoughts surrounding "conceal carry". Should we have it or not?
1. 2nd Amendment = the Law of the Land
2. LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

...Seems to me our job is to promote the law.

You're right, Mr President. Central PA does love their guns and religion.

Last edited by Sippo; 08-30-2011 at 12:43..
Sippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:44   #13
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLRUNN View Post
If your old enough to apply for a permit and can pass the background then I think EVERYONE should pack a gun..remember when SECONDS count us cops are MINUTES away...
This.....100%
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 13:05   #14
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOrth View Post
H.R. 822 would require states to recognize other states CHLs like they do D.L.'s

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...=189&issue=003

I wouldn't mind seeing every state passing Vermont style carry = no permit or license required for open or concealed carry for any adult who may legally purchase and possess handguns.

A friend, fellow church member, husband and father who was the first Police Officer ever murdered in the line of duty was shot and killed in December 2009 on a traffic stop by a licensed Pharmacist who had a CHL and was carrying a Glock 21 purchased by his brother who was a Trussville Police Officer. His murderer was found guilty and sentenced to death earlier this year.
I've stopped hundreds of CHL holders who've never given me a reason to feel the least bit apprehensive, but I direct all adult (including teenagers) to please keep their hands on the steering wheel, dash or back of the front head rest until I've concluded my traffic stop whether they tell me they have a CHL or not or tell me there are firearms in the car when asked.

I presume everyone I come into contact with over the age of 12 to be armed and watch their hands. If I suspect them of committing a crime or have a reasonable suspicion I pat them down to make sure (Terry stop).
I'm sorry for your loss, brother. Is this the incident:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/05/...ial_of_ma.html

Can you shed any addtional light on this?? The article mentions the defense argued and played the "mental illness" card for the BG.....
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 13:38   #15
Glock411

I have known and met a lot of LEO's and I never met one who did not support some type of carry permit, When I lived in Orange county CA, The Capitan of our Local Police Dept. wrote me a recommendation letter for my conceled carry permit,
Old 08-30-2011, 13:51   #16
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstface38 View Post
Yes I support legally armed citizens. Yes I conceal carry off duty.

I carried on a CCW before going into LE and I'm currently carrying on a CCW while I look for another department.
Old 08-30-2011, 13:53   #17
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

I support CCW as long as they are properly trained and have to qualify twice a year like I have to.
Old 08-30-2011, 13:56   #18
danielspdx

12+ years on the job and I support Constitutional carry. If someone is legal to own a gun, IMO, they should be able to carry. While I like the idea of training, the local requirements for training are laughable at best. If .gov offered minimal free training, I would support it, but like most things, I think licensing is about money, not safety.
danielspdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 13:59   #19
trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippo View Post
1. 2nd Amendment = the Law of the Land
2. LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

...Seems to me our job is to promote the law.
I'm clearly on Facebook too much as I found myself immediately looking for the "Like" button.

I wonder if there are regional differences in opinion- like a state or area with a rep for being gun unfriendly having officers that are also less inclined to support concealed carry rights.
Old 08-30-2011, 14:04   #20
mildot