SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:10   #1
Skadoosh
Tap Rack Bang

Scent Killer 99%

Hey guys I bought some of that 99% scent killer stuff, says something about rutger's on the label its a white bottle with brown label(sure you have all seen it) have any of you guys used it? i had a friend tell me it leaves a smell that spooks deer?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28   #2
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

I was watching something recently (or read it) where they did all sorts of scent treatments and sent in a dog to find the live person.

He rang their bell 10 out of 10 times. There is masking, to some extent. But it seems use-of-wind is far more important than having animal pee or something on you.
Old 09-19-2011, 13:44   #3
sourdough44

I have nothing against the scent control products & have a buddy that uses many of them. When I'm with him I'll use a little of his stuff that he offers. That all said the, the 1st thing I do when I head out is pay attention to the wind. This may start with a weather forecast & carry over to watching the chimneys on the way to the hunt. Then one must adjust as the day wears on. The nose of many critters is KEY for their survival.

I do agree that one can reduce their scent signature, but the real key is using the wind to your favor.
sourdough44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 15:07   #4
K1500

It's only 99% bs. 1% of the scent killer claims are true.
K1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 20:23   #5
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
I do agree that one can reduce their scent signature, but the real key is using the wind to your favor.
So damm true. Today's generation are markedt to using more caliber than what's required, have to have camo, need to buy unscented soap, baths, sprays,.....

I bet the ole timers would say elsewise. Use the wind, restrict movement, eliminate noise, learn the areas, understand the game, and patiences is what bags you a deer. Everything is is a mirage
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 18:59   #6
RRTX11

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
So damm true. Today's generation are markedt to using more caliber than what's required, have to have camo, need to buy unscented soap, baths, sprays,.....

I bet the ole timers would say elsewise. Use the wind, restrict movement, eliminate noise, learn the areas, understand the game, and patiences is what bags you a deer. Everything is is a mirage
Scent is still the most important factor with a hunt wether stand hunting or stalking. Disagree with the caliber. The older generation(S) put the .06 on the map for years. The younger generation is moving to the .308 and some specialty rounds. .06 is not even the most reloaded deer caliber anymore. .308, .270, and .243 are the most popular calibers in my neck of the woods.
RRTX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:49   #7
BK63

I've never used any kind of scent anything. I have always made sure I'm up high and out of their wind path. Always get deer. I had an old timer tell me he peed out of his tree stand for 30 years and always got deer. I'm sure if you are ground level and the wind is blowing towards the deer they are going to smell you. I like to stay up high, in a tree stand or up on a ridge looking down into the valley.
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:34   #8
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
stand next to the fire before hunting it will do the best and get down wind from your pray

edit: get a charcoal chemical suit from the army surplus store and that will work better than anything <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Last edited by barstoolguru; 10-02-2011 at 09:36..
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote