GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 01:38   #1
98_1LE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,313
9mm magazines

It is time to buy a new 9mm magazines and wanted to check in. Are the Cobra Tripps still the way to go, and is there any place to get them for less than directly from Tripp?
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:12   #2
71Commander
Senior Member
 
71Commander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tennessee & Michigan
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post
It is time to buy a new 9mm magazines and wanted to check in. Are the Cobra Tripps still the way to go, and is there any place to get them for less than directly from Tripp?
Yes and no.
__________________
US Army 1970-72
USPSA CRO
Patriot Guard rider
NRA member
71Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:16   #3
doc540
Senior Member
 
doc540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Deep SE Texas
Posts: 2,233
Just buy'em and don't look back.
__________________
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"
doc540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:51   #4
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
BuckyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 8,914
I've acquired a variety of 9mm mags over the past year to try out. For ultra reliability, I like the Metalform / Springfield magazines. They seem to run the best, though there are only 9 rounds. Others I have are the Tripps, Wilson ETMs, and Dawson's. I've had better luck with the Wilson's than the Tripps, I'm sorry to say. Trips in my .38 super and .40s (using the 10mm magazines) have been excellent. I don't have as much time on the Dawson's yet, but had good luck so far. Further analysis will have to wait until the "Cardboard Box" arrives at my LGS. I am "between 9s" at the moment.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:08   #5
71Commander
Senior Member
 
71Commander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tennessee & Michigan
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
I've acquired a variety of 9mm mags over the past year to try out. For ultra reliability, I like the Metalform / Springfield magazines. They seem to run the best, though there are only 9 rounds. Others I have are the Tripps, Wilson ETMs, and Dawson's. I've had better luck with the Wilson's than the Tripps, I'm sorry to say. Trips in my .38 super and .40s (using the 10mm magazines) have been excellent. I don't have as much time on the Dawson's yet, but had good luck so far. Further analysis will have to wait until the "Cardboard Box" arrives at my LGS. I am "between 9s" at the moment.
Dawson 9mm mags are Metalform. I have one of each.
__________________
US Army 1970-72
USPSA CRO
Patriot Guard rider
NRA member
71Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:56   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 56,175


Mec-Gar. Love it. I will not own a Wilson in anything but .45ACP. They've proven to be less than reliable in other calibers.

I am not impressed with the fit and finish of the Metalform, and consider the price difference between a Metalform and a Mec-Gar, it's a non-issue. Espeically when you buy Metalform mags and then spend more money for guts replacement.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:58   #7
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
BuckyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 8,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Commander View Post
Dawson 9mm mags are Metalform. I have one of each.
They are different from the Metalforms I have. Spacer in the back of the Dawson, vs. front of the Metalform, though I only have the 9 rd Springfield version. I'm beginning to think space in the front is a better idea...?

Good to know where he's getting them from. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by BuckyP; 08-31-2011 at 10:59..
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:41   #8
71Commander
Senior Member
 
71Commander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tennessee & Michigan
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
They are different from the Metalforms I have. Spacer in the back of the Dawson, vs. front of the Metalform, though I only have the 9 rd Springfield version. I'm beginning to think space in the front is a better idea...?

Good to know where he's getting them from. Thanks for the info.
Mine are the 10 rounders.

I got the MF from Midway for 27. The Dawson's are 38
__________________
US Army 1970-72
USPSA CRO
Patriot Guard rider
NRA member
71Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 17:19   #9
98_1LE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,313
Thanks ya'all. I have used the Metalform 9-round (Springfield IIRC) mags, and while they worked fine, the followers wore out after about 3k rounds spread over 3 mags. And since ammo comes in boxes of 50, I prefer 10-round mags. I think I will back-order a couple of the Metalform 10-round, make sure they work in my gun, and order some more.
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 20:36   #10
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan
 
Boxerglocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 5,982
10 rounders... I use the Tripps, have tried the ETMs and if were to buy new ones right now would go with the Dawsons as I like and use their basepads on my current Tripps with their ICE magwell. I've had zero problems with Checkmate 9 rounders that I use for practice and as backups for the 6th and beyond reloads on my USPSA SS set-up.
__________________
Glock 3rd Gen G19/G34, 4th Gen G17 FDE, G26,
Dillon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 21:35   #11
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!
 
Shipwreck-The-Sequel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hockey City, Texas
Posts: 2,500
I have several Tripp 9mm mags - only ones I will buy for my 9mm 1911
__________________
-
Visit:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:39.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,522
436 Members
1,086 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42