Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:53   #1
healing

reloading 7.62x25 tokarev?

I am having a hard time finding info about reloading 7.62x25 tokarev. I used the search function and it returned very little info. Does anyone make carbide dies? What about bullet selection? I know starline has the brass. Any other info would be great. Thanks
healing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:37   #2
XDRoX

Dies:
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*702***8345***

Doubt you'll find carbide dies. You'll need to lube anyways, isn't that a bottleneck round?

I think it takes .308" bullets, which any of the big name reloading sites will carry. Depending on your pistol, you may want .311" bullets. What are you shooting them in?

Good luck.

Last edited by XDRoX; 09-04-2011 at 12:39..
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 19:50   #3
meleors
Cranky Member

I reload the Tokarev round for my CZ52.
The biggest problem you will face is finding reloading data. The manufacturers have produced very little data for the Tok round and any personal loading data from the web is suspect as many try to push this round to the limits.
VihtaVuori does have data here: http://www.lapua.com/en/products/rel.../relodata/6/37
I load with N340 which produces a nice accurate target load.

Lets walk this through:

Sizing:
No carbide dies for the Tok. Lee makes a 3 die steel set that works good. Case lubing is required. However, you can first resize with a 38 Super carbide sizing die for the body then resize with the Tokerev sizing die. No case lube needed if done this way. This is how I do it.

Powder Charging:
The Lee powder through expander works perfect for charging the case.

Bullet selection:
For bullets, Grafs sells Hornady .308 86gr SP-RN bullets that function well in my CZ52.
Grafs also sells a Hornady .309 90gr HP/XTP and Sierra .308 85gr RN. I have not tried either of these as the Hornady 86gr works well for me and is the cheapest.

Next, get and use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. While many here will tell you that the FCD is a bad idea (true for most pistol rounds), the Tokarev is a bottle neck cartridge and the Lee FCD works different on it. The FCD will ensure the crimp is trued up concentrically.

Finally, what you are waiting for, loading data:
Remember, this data is what works for me, in my gun. Start your load lower and work up to it.

Using Starline brass and Hornady .308 86gr SP-RN bullets
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->VihtaVuori N340 6.1gr @ 1.32" OAL

Yes, the OAL is long and you must check that the rounds will fit your mags and chamber.

Good Luck and Happy Shooting!
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:57   #4
healing

Thanks guys for the responses so far. I plan on shooting them in a pps-43 and a m57. Is there any load data out there using power pistol?
healing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 14:40   #5
meleors
Cranky Member

I played around with Power Pistol and found that accuracy was wanting. Flash was also a bit much. If you wish to try Power Pistol start at around 7.5gr. I worked up as far as 8.3gr without high pressure signs but never found decent accuracy. Spectacular light show though!
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 18:47   #6
ibesonso

I use a Lee sizer, then an RCBS 30 M1 Carbine expander. After priming and charging, I use an RCBS 30 Luger seater because I dont like the floating seater in the Lee seater die. Then finally I use the Lee factory crimp die. Works great and the bullets are always nice and straight.
ibesonso is offline   Reply With Quote