SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2011, 17:41   #1
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Add airgun to kit...

I'd like to add an airgun to my kit. Lotsa small vermin around. Can anyone recommend? Partial to the single cock handgun type, (RWS Model LP8 maybe) but open to recommendations.

Last edited by Bolster; 09-04-2011 at 17:44..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 18:04   #2
Markasaurus

I own an RWS/Diana .177 rifle and i don't think much of it. I took it apart after only 200 shots the main spring was broken. Made in Spain and not good quality control. It is supposed to have 1100 FPS but i really doubt it makes that much and not particularly accurate.

I don't know what you want to shoot with it but a spring handgun is going to be much weaker then a rifle. It might be only 300-400 fps. Forget C02 powered guns for obvious reasons. My advice is get an air rifle, .22 pellet, and buy or make a folding stock to make it smaller. You can get really sophisticated and get one of the newer, but more expensive, pre-charged air guns (you pump them up with a whole lot of pumps from a special air pump, or other air source, and get multiple shots and very high velocity).

http://www.pyramydair.com/?gclid=CO6...FRt3gwodxwhNyw
Markasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 20:19   #3
quake

No help on the handgun version, but I have an old gamo hunter 220 in .177 caliber. It does fine and actually sometimes broke the sound barrier, but to get respectable accuracy with it took using higher-end hunting & target pellets; not the crosman & daisy available locally. Those pellets were expensive enough that I quit using it years ago in favor of a simple .22 rifle with low-powered loads instead.

The benjamin pump-up pistols are supposed to be very good - had a couple friends who owned them years ago, but never had one myself.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 21:00   #4
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Interesting. This RWS LP8 pistol is supposed to do 700 fps with a 17" barrel. Living in so calif an airgun is still allowed, and I have rats and gophers I have to sometimes dispatch. I'd like a handgun as it's just less visible to prying eyes.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:51   #5
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

I would stick to a .22 LR before using an air rifle, but thats just me.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:50   #6
RatDrall

Air pistols are worthless.

Spring piston air rifles are awesome, though. Go with .177, less expensive and much better trajectory. Lobbing a .22 pellet is really difficult. With a proper .177 spring piston air rifle you can get good kills past 50 yards, with the right scope base, scope, and abilities.

I had an RWS model 36, from age 14 until I was 21, and when I was younger I shot it every day. No issues, ever, didn't even clean the barrel, ever. It would shoot touching groups at 25 yards.
RatDrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 20:36   #7
Akita
gone

Have had a RWS mod 48 (1100fps) for 25yrs; very accurate at 25 yds(shooting pecans is pretty easy).
Also have a Beeman P1 400/600fps single cock pistol.
Both are 17cal and deadly with good shot placement. Air rifles are supposed to gain accuracy with use fwiw.

Last edited by Akita; 09-06-2011 at 20:37..
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:55   #8
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
I would stick to a .22 LR before using an air rifle, but thats just me.
+1...a 10/22 that is suppressed will work quite. It may even be more quiet than the air rifle. Air rifles still make noise.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:58   #9
rwrjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
+1...a 10/22 that is suppressed will work quite. It may even be more quiet than the air rifle. Air rifles still make noise.
That's true. I have a spring piston pellet rifle that's just about as loud as a .22lr. I shot it once in my backyard and figured that somebody would call the cops if I continued.

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:46   #10
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Guys, nix on the .22 rimfire, it just is not an alternative in my case. I had a feeling everybody would jump on that bandwagon, but shooting a .22 firearm inside city limits would earn me a trip to jail; whereas airguns are allowed. So I really don't care how far superior a .22 would be. And a suppressed .22 (without the impossible to get license here in Los Angeles)? LOL, they'd lock me up and throw away the key!

Seriously, I need some air gun recommendations:

- Needs to be relatively covert (I don't want to be slinging a big rifle down to the garden)
- Primary use will be dispatching vermin caught in traps or poisoned (or if I'm really lucky, on the loose), so no 100-yard shots.
- Usage will be infrequent, so a CO2 cartridge style would be wasteful.

Yes, I'm sure I could use a shovel, rock, or pointed stick (trying to anticipate the next three postings that will try to dissuade me from an air gun), but an air gun would be cleaner and easier to use. I hope I have sufficiently justified the need for an air gun. It's the right tool for this job.

Last edited by Bolster; 09-07-2011 at 10:02..
Old 09-07-2011, 10:17   #11
quake

Might look at http://www.airgunsmith.com/cgi-bin/a...iew/reviews.pl - they have a lot of air-pistol reviews (sorry; in your initial post you did say handgun but I was thinking rifle for some idiotic reason... ) Click on the gun or description and it'll take you to the review section.

I'd check into the crosman or benjamin pump pistols or some of the CO2 pistols actually. Other than one old Marksman brand, I've never had a co2 pistol leak out. I'd personally look into the crosman 586/686/3576 versions. They look like copies of crosman's old 38C & 38T series; and I had a couple of those (one each 38C and 38T) about 35-40 years ago that were surprisingly good guns. Six-shot DA revolver basically, but according to the review page, it looks like they were discontinued about 1976 or so. If the newer versions are as good as the old ones (always a gamble), they could be very good.

Regardless, the folks at airgunsmith.com might be a good place to do some researching if nothing else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-07-2011, 13:12   #12
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
Guys, nix on the .22 rimfire, it just is not an alternative in my case. I had a feeling everybody would jump on that bandwagon, but shooting a .22 firearm inside city limits would earn me a trip to jail; whereas airguns are allowed. So I really don't care how far superior a .22 would be. And a suppressed .22 (without the impossible to get license here in Los Angeles)? LOL, they'd lock me up and throw away the key!

- Needs to be relatively covert (I don't want to be slinging a big rifle down to the garden)
- Primary use will be dispatching vermin caught in traps or poisoned (or if I'm really lucky, on the loose), so no 100-yard shots.

Yes, I'm sure I could use a shovel, rock, or pointed stick (trying to anticipate the next three postings that will try to dissuade me from an air gun), but an air gun would be cleaner and easier to use. I hope I have sufficiently justified the need for an air gun. It's the right tool for this job.

Are you absolutely sure that pellet guns are allowed in city limits? In most places they're still considered a firearm since they use a gas to discharge a bullet.........

Also something to consider, 22's with CB's are quieter than pellet guns.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 14:44   #13
Akita
gone

Quote:

Check out the Beeman P1. Sounds like what you are looking for.
Old 09-07-2011, 17:11   #14
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Are you absolutely sure that pellet guns are allowed in city limits? In most places they're still considered a firearm since they use a gas to discharge a bullet.........Also something to consider, 22's with CB's are quieter than pellet guns.
YES, I'm sure. I've checked local PD.

Again: Discharging firearms where I live is functionally illegal.

Air. Gun. Thankyou.

Quake and Akita, thank you, will check these out. Not sure dispatching rats should cost me $500 but that Beeman looks nice.

Last edited by Bolster; 09-07-2011 at 17:31..
Old 09-07-2011, 17:38   #15
Akita
gone

Bolster, I agree that it is pricey. However , in its defense, I have had mine since about 1985 and it works as well as the day I brought it home. If it has seen 50 drops of oil in its life, I would be suprised. And to clean an airgun all you do is shoot a felt pellet thru it. I use those pellets to discourage animals that want to attack me or my dogs while walking. It really is a fine weapon that you can pass down to your grandkids.
Old 09-07-2011, 18:01   #16
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
YES, I'm sure. I've checked local PD.

Again: Discharging firearms where I live is functionally illegal.

Air. Gun. Thankyou.

Quake and Akita, thank you, will check these out. Not sure dispatching rats should cost me $500 but that Beeman looks nice.

I would speak to a lawyer. Every other city I've ever seen has a municipal code against discharging a firearm (and thus pellet gun) within city limits.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:24   #17
Akita
gone

A firearm is defined as being propelled by combustion or some variance of that everywhere that I have lived(and by the BATF). But it is always a good idea to check.
Old 09-10-2011, 13:59   #18
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post

Also something to consider, 22's with CB's are quieter than pellet guns.
This.

.22 CB Longs, about 700fps. CCI sells em in 100paks. When you want quiet without silencer. Have to be single shot, they will not cycle most actions.

Did a test with them last weekend. Sounds like an air rifle, hit a phone book at 15 yds within an inch of aim on current scope settings, penetrated 1" and half, no recovery. Would definitely do a woodchuck, bunny, etc. Clean crisp entry on the phonebook, and a mess on exit.

They are better than shorts, which are actually quite loud, and remington subsonics which are rated at 1049fps.

Last edited by G29Reload; 09-10-2011 at 14:00..
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 14:49   #19
W.E.G.

Quote:

- Needs to be relatively covert...

Looks innocuous to me.

Survival/Preparedness Forum
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 21:02   #20
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
...22 CB Longs, about 700fps.

..phone book at 15 yds within an inch of aim on current settings, penetrated 1" and half, no recovery...
Not to further threadjack but just as an aside to that specifically - a .22 at roughly that speed, at 20 feet or so just thru-&-thru'ed a feral - and VERY violent - cat for me one time. Standard deer-hunting shot, full broadside just at the back edge of the shoulders. Went through him, then hit & just barely dented an osb board behind it. That tells me it wouldn't have penetrated thru flesh probably another half inch; maybe another inch at best. Fine for small stuff, but not what you'd want for anything bigger than a cat imo.