Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 12:24   #1
Tpro
On the mark
 
Tpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Right side of Washington
Posts: 188
Question on phones

I didn't see a better p[lace to post this so I'll try it here. If I'm in the wrong place maybe a mod could move it for me. So here goes.

iPhone, Droid, BlackBerry (ok skip the BB because my wife had one and I wanted to run that piece of crap over) etc...What's the big deal? I ASSume it's nothing more than a computer that is a phone? Or am I wrong? Do we need to be that "connected"?

I ask because my wife wants us to get some kind of phones like this (I am partial to the iPhone because I use Mac and HATE PC's, tho I am using one now...) and I can't see a real reason to spend the money.

I am by no means a tightwad, but I need to see some value/usefulness to the product.

What say you?
Tpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:30   #2
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316
 
gemeinschaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,617
Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
I think a lot has to be said for personal taste.

I like my iPhone, but I have a good amount of respect for the Droid Phones that some of my friends have.
__________________
Check my Photography Site at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
gemeinschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 13:32   #3
Tpro
On the mark
 
Tpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Right side of Washington
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemeinschaft View Post
I think a lot has to be said for personal taste.

I like my iPhone, but I have a good amount of respect for the Droid Phones that some of my friends have.
Ok, I get that. But don't you have a computer at home? The office? Do you use your phone to keep up? That is what has me stumped.
Tpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 13:43   #4
Markasaurus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,205
6 months ago i walked into a radio shack intending to get $40 a month metro pc. I walked out with a hundred dollar Samsung 4g android and $95 a month bill.
This phone is endlessly entertaining for the times i am bored (which is a lot of the time). The internet is hit or miss, sometimes it locks up and wont load pages but usually it works - and it is fairly fast (think faster then dial up but slower then cable, more towards the dial up end).

Our desktop computers at work have internet but have "surfblock" on almost everything you'd want to see, and are monitored, of course (people have been fired based on emails they have sent etc. or pages they have viewed over their system). No such worry while using the droid internet, of course, there's no way in Hell for my employer to monitor what i see so of course i look at anything i want to. It also has lots and lots of apps (GPS, navigation, even a compass - that isn't accurate at all - and a lot more). The phone often makes a boring day just a little nicer. If you don't think you will be using internet much on your phone, hold out for the cheaper one or maybe just get your wife the fancy one and you keep the simpler one.
Markasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 13:54   #5
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316
 
gemeinschaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,617
Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpro View Post
Ok, I get that. But don't you have a computer at home? The office? Do you use your phone to keep up? That is what has me stumped.
Actually, I have a personal computer and my work computer...

The caveat to a smartphone is when I am at dinner and I get a call about something that needs immediate attention, instead of having to walk out to the car, get my laptop and login; I can simply open connect to VPN using my phone, open my Citrix App and do what I need without leaving the dinner table.

My phone is also super easy to look up something in a pinch when I am out and about.

Catching the train downtown and need to figure out what stop to get off at? Google it.

It is an issue of convenience for me.

I also regularly answer e-mails on my phone that would otherwise take me 20 minutes because I am not in front of my computer at the time.
__________________
Check my Photography Site at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
gemeinschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:56   #6
Glock 1
Senior Member
 
Glock 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,864
I look at it this way:

If you are happy to take it out of the box and use it as intended and never modify it, get an iPhone. It will work flawlessly. Yes, it can be jail-broken but a jail-broken iPhone is an unstable iPhone. iPhones are very limited but very stable for the average user.

If you like to tinker with it and make it do cool stuff, get a droid. Droids can be rooted which removes all the carriers restrictions and makes them even more exceptional when looking at modifications.

Either way, if your going to modify it, do your homework before Jail-breaking/rooting them. You can also "brick" them; which is never good. You ever tried to talk or surf the web on a brick?

You could not run fast enough to GIVE me a BB. Blackberry's days are over.

1 more thing, the internet on the phone is driven solely by the carriers performance. I have an Inspire on AT&T and I have never had to wait for a page to load and never gotten "page cannot be displayed". others have different stories. It varies by carrier.
__________________
Robert Bailey
Owner


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Glock 1; 09-06-2011 at 05:58..
Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:57   #7
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist
 
Dragoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 24,435
I prefer my BB to any iPhone or Android device. But If iPhone and android were the only two choices I would choose iPhone.

Android is still a glitchy and unsecure OS and their freewheeling app market makes the situation even worse. Google exercises no real oversight and allows anyone to simply upload an app without vetting it in any way. That is why you hear about apps in the android market being discovered to have trojans built into them though usually only after hundreds of android users have downloaded the app and one finally reports the app to the app market.

You do not see occurances like that with BB or iPhone because both exert rigid control over their app stores and all apps submitted are tested and examined.
__________________
“Right is still right, even if nobody is doing it. And wrong is still wrong, even if everybody is doing it.”—Texas Ranger saying.
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:25   #8
Glock 1
Senior Member
 
Glock 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Android is still a glitchy and unsecure OS and their freewheeling app market makes the situation even worse. Google exercises no real oversight and allows anyone to simply upload an app without vetting it in any way. That is why you hear about apps in the android market being discovered to have trojans built into them though usually only after hundreds of android users have downloaded the app and one finally reports the app to the app market.

You do not see occurances like that with BB or iPhone because both exert rigid control over their app stores and all apps submitted are tested and examined.
The part about the google app store is true.

However, having had an iPhone as well, I can say not all of those apps are glitch free. They do not however have as many problems as the Droid apps but that is not a droid oversight. Droid is open source and can be modified by anyone and the apps SHOULD be tested before being made public.

People who chose droid should know (or atleast be informed of this) before buying Droid. The same is true with an iPhone user who decides to jail break his/her iPhone; it comes with some inherent risks.
__________________
Robert Bailey
Owner


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:21   #9
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist
 
Dragoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 24,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 1 View Post
The part about the google app store is true.

However, having had an iPhone as well, I can say not all of those apps are glitch free. They do not however have as many problems as the Droid apps but that is not a droid oversight. Droid is open source and can be modified by anyone and the apps SHOULD be tested before being made public.

People who chose droid should know (or atleast be informed of this) before buying Droid. The same is true with an iPhone user who decides to jail break his/her iPhone; it comes with some inherent risks.
Apple Vs Android is eerily identical to the old Apple Vs. windows.

it is virtually the same situation. Apple controls the hardware and only has to build an OS for THEIR hardware. Android has to work on a multiple hardware platforms. as such it is no surprise the Apple OS is more stable. Add in that Android is still a new OS and not yet a mature platform that has to work on a wide variety of hardware platforms.

The real cause of the popularity of Android is not droids and other high end phones, power users are always the minority. Androids surge in popularity came with the introduction of the sub 100 dollar phones which are now down to 49.00, 29.00 and even free. The problem is Android does not run nearly as well on the entry level phones because of reduced hardware specs compared to high end android phones.

I think it will be a few years yet before Android is a mature stable Phone OS. But I do think they will get there.
__________________
“Right is still right, even if nobody is doing it. And wrong is still wrong, even if everybody is doing it.”—Texas Ranger saying.
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 17:12   #10
Glock 1
Senior Member
 
Glock 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Apple Vs Android is eerily identical to the old Apple Vs. windows.

it is virtually the same situation. Apple controls the hardware and only has to build an OS for THEIR hardware. Android has to work on a multiple hardware platforms. as such it is no surprise the Apple OS is more stable. Add in that Android is still a new OS and not yet a mature platform that has to work on a wide variety of hardware platforms.

The real cause of the popularity of Android is not droids and other high end phones, power users are always the minority. Androids surge in popularity came with the introduction of the sub 100 dollar phones which are now down to 49.00, 29.00 and even free. The problem is Android does not run nearly as well on the entry level phones because of reduced hardware specs compared to high end android phones.

I think it will be a few years yet before Android is a mature stable Phone OS. But I do think they will get there.
Very well stated. I do find that the lower end phones running Droid do have more issues. Motorola Cliq, need I say more? I love my Inspire as a Droid but I agree my iPhone was very stable and very likely for the reasons you stated. I hardly ever had to restart it.
__________________
Robert Bailey
Owner


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:46.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,115
305 Members
810 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31