SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:12   #1
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

3 Day Bag - for non preppers

This is for non preppers and meant to be simple and non threatening. Can you help me with anything that I am missing that is really important and most likely totally obvious to some of you.

Quote:
The 3 day bag

The 3 day bag is a collection of everything that you might need given your seasonal weather to survive for 72 hours on your own. For instance if you are driving on a very remote road with no chance of any passing traffic and your car dies on you, what would you want to have with you as you hike to the highway 30 miles away?

Start by asking yourself how much you can carry in a backpack all day long. If you donít walk a lot or are small framed you may be limited to a very light bag. Also account for your special needs whatever they may be, for instance prescription medications. Here is a sample bag for Florida.

Prescription medications
Deet for the bugs
Sunblock SPF 30+
Whistle
Compass
A good hat
Good broken in hiking shoes
2 pairs of very good socks
Rain poncho
Walking pants with high SPF
Long sleeve shirt with high SPF
Water purifier tablets and a water filter
Energy bars
Meals Ready to Eat (MRE) without packaging
2 water bottles
2 Solar blankets
Good quality first aid kit
Toilet paper and wet wipes
Hand sanitizer
Multi-tool
Signal mirror
Petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls for starting fires
Lighter and waterproof matches both
LED flashlights (2) with extra batteries
Cash in small bills
Ibuprofen
Chapstick
Needle and thread
Duct tape
Nylon cord
Local map
Folding hand saw

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:57   #2
FerFAL

Those water bottles should be full, checked and rotated once a year.
For Florida summer, you might want to add some sunglasses which can be must haves some days.
This is just me, but if something bad happens and I'm walking for three days, I'd like a handgun + spare magazine, or revolver plus 20 rounds. Check out shemaghs, they are pretty handy.
If its only 3 days and unless the filter you have in mind is really compact and light weight, leave the water filter and just take water purifying tablets (pre filter with shemagh).
FerFAL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FerFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:31   #3
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Those water bottles should be full, checked and rotated once a year.
For Florida summer, you might want to add some sunglasses which can be must haves some days.
This is just me, but if something bad happens and I'm walking for three days, I'd like a handgun + spare magazine, or revolver plus 20 rounds. Check out shemaghs, they are pretty handy.
If its only 3 days and unless the filter you have in mind is really compact and light weight, leave the water filter and just take water purifying tablets (pre filter with shemagh).
FerFAL
Thanks, I am going to get into guns with them later so that I don't scare off to many who would think that it's about violence. So at the moment just doing basic prepping for non preppers.

Sunglasses and shemaghs make the list, water filter is an option now. Around here the three biggest problems (other than people) are wearing the correct clothing, water and keeping away from the fire ants.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 09-06-2011, 11:46   #4
DoctaGlockta

I'd really include 'something to protect yourself and loved ones'

Don't mention 'guns' if you think they are uncomfortable with that.

But protection is really a must - no matter what one uses as a deterrent to others that may want to harm them.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:47   #5
FerFAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
Thanks, I am going to get into guns with them later so that I don't scare off to many who would think that it's about violence. So at the moment just doing basic prepping for non preppers.

Sunglasses and shemaghs make the list, water filter is an option now. Around here the three biggest problems (other than people) are wearing the correct clothing, water and keeping away from the fire ants.
Some sort of weapon is pretty important. Think disasters of any kind, there's usual some civil unrest or chances for criminals to get away with it. Chile eartquake and tsunami, one of the greatest problems was the crime wave that came afterwards.I know its politically incorrect for some people, but it really is one of those things most people that know about this would not go without. I'd make it one of my top priorities. A gun, bottle of water and 1000 bucks, the rest can either be improvised or adquired with one of the three.
If you cant include a gun, at least include a medium size bottle of OC spray, or even better a big bottle of bear spray.
You're also missing a fixed blade knife in there. That's basic preparedness equipment. Something like a Cold Steel SRK, or a KBAR knife would fill the bill.
FerFAL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FerFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 13:57   #6
GeorgiaGlockMan
Aggie in Exile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
I'd really include 'something to protect yourself and loved ones'

Don't mention 'guns' if you think they are uncomfortable with that.

But protection is really a must - no matter what one uses as a deterrent to others that may want to harm them.
I can see it now.

Hand them a little can of OC on a keyring and with a wry grin on your face say "hey at least it is better than nothing and it may buy some time if your kids or wife needs to run away". That may get them thinking.
Old 09-06-2011, 14:11   #7
cowboy1964

Half of your water, IMO, should be Gatorade or another sports drink. Supplies some carbs and electrolytes, without any additional weight penalty over plain water.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 15:24   #8
wjv

Water Filter Straws

http://www.amazon.com/Aquamira-Front...5344237&sr=8-1

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 19:22   #9
Arvinator

A stainless cup, or something like the Kit in GI canteens. TWO knives, one can always get lost or broken if abused.
I also like my "pocket chain saw", I picked up and keep in my bag. It is basically a chain saw chain with a loop for my hands. I can see cutting logs much easier than a folding saw and it could be used to make a shelter where some quick cutting is a must. A few jigs/hooks/sinkers in a old 35 mm film case could catch a fish if the person put forth a little effort. A simple manual or hanbook on outdoor survival also should be included. A little reading could refrsh all of our memories, and I keep one myself with the ton of gear (Stuff) I carry!
Arvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 20:08   #10
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Some sort of weapon is pretty important. Think disasters of any kind, there's usual some civil unrest or chances for criminals to get away with it. Chile eartquake and tsunami, one of the greatest problems was the crime wave that came afterwards.I know its politically incorrect for some people, but it really is one of those things most people that know about this would not go without. I'd make it one of my top priorities. A gun, bottle of water and 1000 bucks, the rest can either be improvised or adquired with one of the three.
If you cant include a gun, at least include a medium size bottle of OC spray, or even better a big bottle of bear spray.
You're also missing a fixed blade knife in there. That's basic preparedness equipment. Something like a Cold Steel SRK, or a KBAR knife would fill the bill.
FerFAL
Good advice on the pistol and that's coming up in the future as opposed to in the 3 day bag. I missed the knife, thanks again.

Old 09-06-2011, 20:10   #11
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
Nice call on the straws, thanks!

Old 09-06-2011, 20:16   #12
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvinator View Post
A stainless cup, or something like the Kit in GI canteens. TWO knives, one can always get lost or broken if abused.
I also like my "pocket chain saw", I picked up and keep in my bag. It is basically a chain saw chain with a loop for my hands. I can see cutting logs much easier than a folding saw and it could be used to make a shelter where some quick cutting is a must. A few jigs/hooks/sinkers in a old 35 mm film case could catch a fish if the person put forth a little effort. A simple manual or handbook on outdoor survival also should be included. A little reading could refresh all of our memories, and I keep one myself with the ton of gear (Stuff) I carry!
The fishing kit makes the list. Any suggestions on a simple field guide for amateurs?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:55   #13
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Uneasyrider, You may want to include about $100 dollars in small bills. You never know what resources you can buy along the way.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:49   #14
R_W

Spare glasses if you need them to see.
Bandana
Playing cards, book, or other time passer
comfort item for you and any kids.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:40   #15
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Sorry,I've been lax.

Gatorade should be in powdered form,saves weight and can be mixed as needed.Potassium Gluconate tabs can be added for a supplement also.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:40   #16
Aceman

I'm going to say this - and I'm sure you will have a cow immediately. But seriously think about this...

I THINK YOU HAVE WAY TO MUCH STUFF IN THIS BAG.

The problem with making a bag for Non-preppers is not the bag itself. It's the mindset that goes into the bag. And you all are in "Prepper" mindest mode. So you are adding a bunch of "prepper" type items.

I think the key to a Non-preppers bag is ultra simplity:
3 Liters of water
3 days high calorie food
Flashlight, knife, Multi-tool
Lighter
Raingear
Basic car/home small first aid kit

Maybe a few other things. They will need the CRITICAL things, in as easy a form to use as possible.

Glucose tabs, rope saw, compass, purifier tabs, fishing kit, GUN? These are things most people would not even think to look for IN the bag - let alone use well...

Last edited by Aceman; 09-07-2011 at 20:44..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:48   #17
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Glucose tabs, rope saw, compass, purifier tabs, fishing kit, GUN? These are things most people would not even think to look for IN the bag - let alone use well...
You know, he's right.
Old 09-07-2011, 20:51   #18
Aceman

We would all build a pretty similar bag, +/- a few items. But a lot of that has to do with the way we think. For example:

We think about:
I need to carry water
I need to be able to gather any water i come across
I need to purify the water by filtering/chemicals/boiling

Non-preppers think:
I'll stop and buy a Soda/Coffee/Bottle of water
I have a Nalgene sport bottle for the game.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:42   #19
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
I'm going to say this - and I'm sure you will have a cow immediately. But seriously think about this...

I THINK YOU HAVE WAY TO MUCH STUFF IN THIS BAG.

The problem with making a bag for Non-preppers is not the bag itself. It's the mindset that goes into the bag. And you all are in "Prepper" mindest mode. So you are adding a bunch of "prepper" type items.

I think the key to a Non-preppers bag is ultra simplity:
3 Liters of water
3 days high calorie food
Flashlight, knife, Multi-tool
Lighter
Raingear
Basic car/home small first aid kit

Maybe a few other things. They will need the CRITICAL things, in as easy a form to use as possible.

You are right about this if the person were going to be carrying all of this stuff but all of the clothing items, boots and hat are going to be worn. I don't think it matters if your wearing jeans, t-shirt and steel toe boots or if you are wearing a suit and tie it's imperitive that a person have good walking clothes for the heat here. It is very similar to not having winter boots, gloves and jacket in your gear if it is winter in Vermont.

Also we all know how it works when you start collecting survival gear, you continue to add to your gear because it's on your mind. I am just trying to help a group of interested people to understand what they need to suvive and don't want to leave them with a short list.

Old 09-08-2011, 14:08   #20
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

+1 to what Aceman said. You are expecting a non prepper to use a signal mirror?

All you need is;

Nine 20oz water bottles. (three bottles = 60oz of water per day). Understand that this is over a gallon of water (1 gallon = 128oz), and will weigh around 10lb. A few of those Gatorade powder singles, probably would not hurt either.

Four (6 bar count) boxes of Cliff Bars. That is 250 calories per bar, 1500 calories per box, 4 boxes at 6 bars per box = 24bars that gives you 8 bars per day for 3 days. 8 cliff bars = 2000 calories.

Basic first aid kit

Emergency bivvy or survival blanket
http://www.rei.com/product/813511/sol-emergency-bivvy

Rain poncho, with a diagram on how to make a tent/shelter with it

Lighter and waterproof matches

Small LED flashlight with a low and high setting if possible

Three lightsticks (backup to flashlight, and if not broken they never go bad. Also great for signaling at night)

Esbit pocket stove and metal cup (good for melting snow)
http://www.rei.com/product/653343/esbit-pocket-stove

Multitool or swiss army knife

OC spray (better than nothing for self defense)

Whistle

Basic Compass

I also like that water filter straw wjv mentioned.

Throw it all in a backpack and that is basically it .

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 09-08-2011 at 14:09..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote