SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-07-2011, 18:37   #1
Skadoosh
Tap Rack Bang

How did you start?

Hey yall, new to this part of GT i dont reload, dont know how, or anybody that does. Did any of you guys teach your selves out of a book? is it hard to learn?
Old 09-07-2011, 18:56   #2
atakawow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh View Post
Hey yall, new to this part of GT i dont reload, dont know how, or anybody that does. Did any of you guys teach your selves out of a book? is it hard to learn?
If you can read, you can learn it. Hard? No, not if you follow instructions and pay attention to every little details.
atakawow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:06   #3
RustyFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakawow View Post
If you can read, you can learn it. Hard? No, not if you follow instructions and pay attention to every little details.
What he said. I started by buying a manual and reading it cover to cover. Then I asked quedtions on what I didn't quite understand. According to my needs and the calibers I was loading I got advice to start with the Lee classic turret press. It has been a great press over the last five years. I just bought a Dillon 550 to speed up a few calibers but the classic turret won't be going anywhere.

Last edited by RustyFN; 09-07-2011 at 20:06..
RustyFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:10   #4
JuneyBooney

If you shoot reloads don't shoot shoot a Glock. Kaboom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:23   #5
Colorado4Wheel

I started with a Lee CLASSIC Turret (it's good) and the Richard Lee Reloading manual (it sucks). That and some help from this forum and a decent dose of common sense was all that I needed. I still have all my digits. It's intimidating at the beginning but not that hard.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 09-07-2011 at 20:23..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:25   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
Ignorant or a Joke. I hope it's the latter.
Old 09-07-2011, 20:27   #7
michael e

My dads friend that lived down the street showed me how to . This was after I had read a few books and bought my setup. Reading gives you a good idea, but I liked being able to actually see it done and doing it.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:27   #8
crnama
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

I taught myself from books, this forum, and youtube. You will be surprised the detail you can get out of some videos on youtube. Seriously just take a look at the reloading forum and decide which press you want to buy and get started. The sooner you do it the sooner you will thank yourself.
crnama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:34   #9
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Elmer Keith and I started together when we were in sixth-grade. We got expelled for dipping girl's pigtails in the ink wells and since we had a lot of time on our hands we decided to learn how to load and invent new calibers.

If truth be known Elmer wasn't really very smart, he though the decimal system was just a fad and he wanted us to work on something he called the 10mm. What a dummy... good thing I talked him out of it.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 21:54   #10
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

I started loading when I was 14 years old with a Lee Loader -- the kind you use a hammer to run. I made a lot of ammo with that thing and learned to shoot better because of it.

They were under ten bucks back then. They're not terribly expensive now.

Seriously, that tool will teach you the fundamentals of loading and will give you a close, hands-on experience of every stage of the process. Just wear safety glasses because every once in a while you'll set a primer off.
Old 09-07-2011, 22:14   #11
bush pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Elmer Keith and I started together when we were in sixth-grade. We got expelled for dipping girl's pigtails in the ink wells and since we had a lot of time on our hands we decided to learn how to load and invent new calibers.

If truth be known Elmer wasn't really very smart, he though the decimal system was just a fad and he wanted us to work on something he called the 10mm. What a dummy... good thing I talked him out of it.

Jack
Wasn't Elmer your younger brother? He mentioned you in his stories.

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 22:16   #12
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

I did some research myself reading articles on the internet and in magazines. I entertained the idea for several years (4-5) before I actually moved forward. I gained the base knowledge of the process, then started hanging out here in this subforum to get more practical knowledge. I started handloading in my in-laws' basement (wife and I were living with them until we found a place when we moved to MI) on a Lee Handpress. My first loads were 10mm Auto using Blue Dot and 155gr Hornady XTP bullets loaded with Lee dies.

Most of my knowledge has come from veteran handloaders on forums and personal experience just trying different things.

Handloading is as technical as you want it to be. Basically you clean brass, resize it and remove the spent primer, seat a new primer, charge with the correct type and amount of powder (the tricky part is selection) and finally seat a bullet to the correct depth. My neighbor has only used one load for 40 years for his .45 ACP and that's all he shoots and loads.

freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 22:40   #13
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I started with the ABC's of reloading, asking questions here. A Lee Classic Turret, several reloading books later... I was rolling. Moved onto a 2 SDB's in 4 calibers for 40K rounds then the XL650.
&
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 23:35   #14
fredj338

WHen I started reloading 35yr ago, the only way to learn was read a book or three. Now we have the internet, DVDs, U-tube & NRA classes. All are good ways to learn. If you can pay attention & follow direction, reloading is pretty easy. You can get into serious trouble if you go off the page & start thinking you know more than the guys that write the books, but w/ enough exp, you can go well beyond the books too.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 09-07-2011 at 23:36..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 23:36   #15
dougader

My brother-in-law and I started with a Dillon Square Deal B and a Lyman reloading manual. We started with 9mm and Bullseye powder.

After that I bought a Hornady single stage press that was on close-out at a local gun store, bought my own Lyman manual and started with 38 Special (WW231 powder) and 357 magnum (Hodgdon H110 powder)... from there it was more calibers, more powders and a Dillon 550B so I could afford to shoot more, practice more and compete in IPSC, IHMSA...

Like Freak said, you can make it as technical as you want or as simple as you want.

But its not really all that hard. You just need to study up a bit, read some good manuals and pay attention to detail.

The remark about Glocks and kabooms is very overstated. You can blow up any gun if you try hard enough or make a big enough mistake. I shot over 30,000 rounds through my G19/9mm and the vast majority of those loads were handloads with cast bullets. Oh yeah, I started casting bullets too.

Read more on cast bullets fired in Glocks. I ran mine before anybody knew better. Maybe I was lucky, but I also didn't run my loads at max pressure, riding the ragged edge either.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 23:47   #16
NW-Warlord

I went to the local gun store asked them about how to make my own ammo. 2 hours, and a lot of money later I was home with a Dillon 550 and way over my head.

It took me well over a week to figure out how to assemble the machine and make my first reloads. I was about to give up on the whole idea for awhile, good thing my first reloads worked out alright.
NW-Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 00:18   #17
crsuribe
10mm Auto

I learned and am still learning from this and other sites. So far I've loaded and fired over 2000 rounds without any incidents..

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 00:41   #18
blind noodle

Same as most people here, except I had no place to reload. I bolted my press and powder measure to a piece of wood which I would c-clamp to the kitchen table when I wanted to crank out some rounds. Worked well. Loaded probably 5k like that.
blind noodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:06   #19
Skadoosh
Tap Rack Bang

Thanks guys, lot of good info im sure ill start sometime within the next few years.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:12   #20
meleors
Cranky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
Glocks function fine with reloads. You will not have a problem shooting reloads through a Glock.
But you should never shoot (at) a Glock, reloads or not!
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote