Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-24-2014, 23:12   #1
wingspar

Brand New G20 Gen4 to the Range Today

Picked up a brand new G20 Gen4 earlier this week and finally got to shoot it today. I shot 85 rounds, some from each of the boxes of ammo you see in the second photo. The G20 handles the recoil very nicely. It was a blast to shoot. I shot a steel plate for the first few rounds, then put 5 rounds of each ammo on paper. I was more accurate with the 180 grain rounds vs the 200 grain rounds. From left to right, ammo was;

Underwood 200 Gr TMJ
Double Tap 180 Gr FMJ
Underwood 180 Gr TMJ
Buffalo Bore 200 Gr FMJ
Remington UMC 180 Fr FMJ

General Glocking

General Glocking

I had one malfunction when the empty got caught in the slide before it could clear the slide. Did not pay attention to which ammo I was shooting or which magazine I was using.

I had one magazine that the follower was installed all cattywampus right out of the box. I had a harder time getting the base plate off than I ever have had with any magazine from any gun I own. Everything about this gun is stiff. I got the follower on straight, and the magazine operated fine the first time I used it, but then it failed to lock the slide open. It will not lock the slide open at all now. Could Glock have manufactured a bad mag? Iím wondering if I should return the mag for a new one? Below is a photo of what the magazine looked like straight out of the box next to one of the other mags.

General Glocking

Overall, the G20 Gen4 handled the recoil very well. Just like I expected it to after reading about the G20 on the forum. I think my Ruger Blackhawk in .357 has a more stout recoil. I had some decent groups on paper. I could have done better, and probably will as I shoot it more, but I know I was flinching. Having an explosion going off in your hands is not a natural thing to experience. I know I flinch sometimes no matter how much I try to concentrate on squeezing the trigger and being surprised when it goes off. The gun is a blast to shoot, and I wonder why I didnít get interested in 10mm earlier. I finished the day off by shooting 10 rounds from my G17 then 10 rounds from my G20. What a nice difference. This thing is a blast to shoot.

This will be a woods gun, and right now Iím liking the Underwood 180 grain the best, but am open to suggestions as I have a lot to learn about 10mm.
Old 09-25-2014, 00:15   #2
AJE
*goes to 11*

Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
Very nice. I love my gen 4 20.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:18   #3
Big1

Awesome, I pick up the 29 and was looking at the 20 out on base for $525 the other day I think that I need to go back and see again.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:55   #4
Z71

Yeh..I would ship that one particular magazine straight back to Glock!
Z71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:09   #5
happie2shoot

The UW 200 only went around 1150fps from my g20s and had 3 FTF in
10 shots in the gen4 and 1 FTF in the gen3sf, will not buy them again,
nose of bullet hit the left side of the chamber.

The UW 180 was 1265fps in the OEM barrels and had one nose dive in the
mag jam, in the 6.6''LW they went 1364 and no jams, I will but these
again, they are good.

My 6'' 357s kick more because they shoot a 187gr cast boolit at 1500fps.

Last edited by happie2shoot; 09-25-2014 at 07:12..
happie2shoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:36   #6
DJCantonGA

I'm jealous! I hope to pick up a Gen 4 G20 in the next month. Great review, glad you like it.
John 3:16
Matthew 6:34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJCantonGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:42   #7
azbuckeye

Another pistol on my list. I've never owned a 10mm but the 20 could easily convince me to join the 10 Ring.

I'd contact Glock regarding the magazine issue and have them send you a new one.

Glad to hear your overall experience with the Gen 4 G20 has been good thus far. I'm sure it'll make a great addition to your home.
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
azbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:46   #8
ku4hx

Send a message via AIM to ku4hx
My NIB 20 bought earlier this summer had an "out-of-spec" magazine exactly like yours. I popped the follower back to where it should be and through 310 rounds it's been fine. But then I have twelve other magazines so I don't worry about it.

I did mark the magazine with a little code of mine. Over the years I've had Glock replace two magazines no questions asked so if it becomes a problem, I'll swap it out the next time I'm in Smyrna.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:44   #9
Jeffrey Lebowski
Not a golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJE View Post
Very nice. I love my gen 4 20.
x2. It might be my favorite pistol.
It certainly is the one I shoot best.

Nice pickup and congrats, OP.
Old 09-25-2014, 16:04   #10
Glolt20-91

It's always a good feeling when you get to take a new firearm to the range.

Do you handload?

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 16:40   #11
wingspar

Thanks for all the comments. The magazine is in the mail to Glock. When I called them this morning, I got a real human on the second ring. Sounded like a very old woman. She transferred me to a tech who probably took no more than 20 seconds to pick up from the time she transferred me. I certainly did not expect such excellent CS from such a large company. I expected a series of frustrating menus. They will fix it or send me a new one. Glad I marked the mags before I went to the range.

One thing I forgot to mention. This thing Flings the brass. I found brass from between 12 feet to over 22 feet away, all in neat little piles. Well, neat little piles compared to my G17 which will drop brass at my feet, to the left and to the right in no particular pattern or any consistent distance.

I ordered a new Raven Concealment Holster on 09/18 and received it on 09/24. Thatís fast. I went for the Raven Holster as Iíve been carrying my G17 in one for a year or so and like it just fine, so I decided to stick with what works. A photo of both holsters for those interested.

General Glocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Awesome, I pick up the 29 and was looking at the 20 out on base for $525 the other day I think that I need to go back and see again.
Jump on that if itís a Gen4. I paid $630 for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post
The UW 200 only went around 1150fps from my g20s and had 3 FTF in
10 shots in the gen4 and 1 FTF in the gen3sf, will not buy them again,
nose of bullet hit the left side of the chamber.
I had no problems with any of the Underwood ammo, tho I only shot 15 rounds of the 200 grain. Wanted to save the last 5 rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glolt20-91 View Post
It's always a good feeling when you get to take a new firearm to the range.

Do you handload?
There is nothing better than taking a new firearm to the range. I plan to reload someday, but itís not in the cards for now. Canít find enough powder to just get started, so itís on hold. If I ever get to it, Iíll be loading .357 Magnum, .45 ACP and 10mm.
Old 09-25-2014, 22:07   #12
happie2shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
Thanks for all the comments. The magazine is in the mail to Glock. When I called them this morning, I got a real human on the second ring. Sounded like a very old woman. She transferred me to a tech who probably took no more than 20 seconds to pick up from the time she transferred me. I certainly did not expect such excellent CS from such a large company. I expected a series of frustrating menus. They will fix it or send me a new one. Glad I marked the mags before I went to the range.

One thing I forgot to mention. This thing Flings the brass. I found brass from between 12 feet to over 22 feet away, all in neat little piles. Well, neat little piles compared to my G17 which will drop brass at my feet, to the left and to the right in no particular pattern or any consistent distance.

I ordered a new Raven Concealment Holster on 09/18 and received it on 09/24. Thatís fast. I went for the Raven Holster as Iíve been carrying my G17 in one for a year or so and like it just fine, so I decided to stick with what works. A photo of both holsters for those interested.

General Glocking

Jump on that if itís a Gen4. I paid $630 for mine.

I had no problems with any of the Underwood ammo, tho I only shot 15 rounds of the 200 grain. Wanted to save the last 5 rounds.

There is nothing better than taking a new firearm to the range. I plan to reload someday, but itís not in the cards for now. Canít find enough powder to just get started, so itís on hold. If I ever get to it, Iíll be loading .357 Magnum, .45 ACP and 10mm.
I don't blame the 200gr UW ammo for jamming, it's good
ammo I just want faster ammo, I blame the gun.
happie2shoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:33   #13
Big1

Yes sir it is a Gen4 I will be going back out there tomorrow and see if it still there and this is no tax, you got to love that. The other time I was out there they had a sell and was selling it for $490, yes I know I can kick myself for not buying it.
Old 09-27-2014, 13:57   #14
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post
I don't blame the 200gr UW ammo for jamming, it's good
ammo I just want faster ammo, I blame the gun.
After watching the video I shot on all of my 85 rounds, the one time the slide locked open with a round still in the mag was with the Underwood 200 grain. I was more accurate with the 180 grain. According to the grains and fps, fpe is a tad bit more with the slower 200 grain bullet.

Underwood 200 Grain 1250 fps / 694 fpe
Underwood 180 Grain 1300 fps / 676 fpe

Of course, that is at the muzzle. I wonder what happens at say 50 feet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Yes sir it is a Gen4 I will be going back out there tomorrow and see if it still there and this is no tax, you got to love that. The other time I was out there they had a sell and was selling it for $490, yes I know I can kick myself for not buying it.
I’ve learned not to procrastinate when I see a good deal at the LGS. I loose out every time I do. Now, I know that if I ask them to, they will put my name on it and hold it for a couple of days. Works well, and I don’t end up kicking myself for going home to think about it, only to find out it went home with someone else.

Last edited by wingspar; 09-27-2014 at 14:02..
wingspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 19:21   #15
rowdy115

Congrats on the new gun. How does shooting the 10mm compare to .45? I love .45 but have never shot a 10mm. Recoil wise. Thanks.

Last edited by rowdy115; 09-27-2014 at 19:22..
rowdy115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 19:25   #16
bac1023

Congrats on the G20.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 19:26   #17
tom mac

the .45 is softer than mid+ range 10mm.
tom mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:11   #18
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy115 View Post
Congrats on the new gun. How does shooting the 10mm compare to .45? I love .45 but have never shot a 10mm. Recoil wise. Thanks.
Itís been 3 or 4 months since Iíve shot any of my .45 ACP handguns, so without taking one out with the G20 and shoot them side by side, I have to say they are very close. The G20 handles recoil very well, and I think Iím liking the 10mm more than .45. I thought that all I read about the recoil of the G20 handling recoil very well and being very manageable was all internet speak, but it is true. The G20 is a blast to shoot. Recoil is softer than hot loads in my Ruger Blackhawk in .357, mostly due to the design of the semi-auto vs revolver and the semi-auto action absorbing some of the recoil.
Old 09-28-2014, 19:05   #19
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
General Glocking
The Flat Dark Earth looks good too... My 20 G4 is also FDE & worry free, besides the 10 Ring here 10mm-firearms . com is another good source of info.
Old Yesterday, 10:59   #20
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
The Flat Dark Earth looks good too... My 20 G4 is also FDE & worry free, besides the 10 Ring here 10mm-firearms . com is another good source of info.
The FDE one is my G17 Gen3. I bought it used on the spot when I saw it at the LGS just cause it was FDE. My other G17 hasnít been shot since I bought the FDE model, but I wanted all black for the New G20.

I have a couple of posts on the 10 Ring and joined 10mm-firearms.