GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:36   #1
Unistat

September is National Disaster Preparedness Month.

September is National Disaster Preparedness Month.

I know that every day is preparedness day for most of us, but you can use this month to talk to you friends, family, co-workers, and church about preparedness without blowing any op-sec (if you worry about those things.)

I for one am going to get my parents serious about making a disaster plan and keeping a couple of BOBs on hand. They already have a nice deep pantry, a generator, and many other "preps." Not that they think in those terms.

What other things could be done with this opportunity to go a little more public with prepping?
Old 09-01-2011, 17:18   #2
ric0123

I don't belive in fear mongering or beating people over the head with prepping, but I'd point to the examples of Irene since it's fresh in everyone's mind.

If it's someone who is brand new and close minded, start with the very very basics.
3 days. food/water/medicine. Once you get someone started with 3 days, the added costs to expand that to longer time is incrimental. Getting started is the hardest part
Old 09-01-2011, 17:25   #3
R_W

WATER!!!!!!

Get everyone to store WATER. I don't care if they build a 5,000 gallon cistern or refill pop bottles or just buy an extra case of bottled water at the store every week.

Drinking, cooking, washing, flushing (you can bucket flush a toilet with the water you just used to wash). So many have enough food, but come unglued because they can't flush a toilet.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:59   #4
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Well Unistat I have tried to talk to some folks at work about being prepared but they are more concerned about the next NFL game, whats for lunch, or something else. The attitude is "it will never happen to me". So my atitude now is I'll just step over the dead sheeple who were killed by their neighbors over a jug of water or a stale cracker. I gave up trying to convince people how fast the supermarket food and water supply will run out in a SHTF senario. I guess they believe the government will come to the rescue, and I remind them about Katrina!
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:31   #5
Restless28

I have tried to educate locals, but, for the most part, they care more about college football or spending money on cars, electronics, vacations.

Even after a few recent "SHTF" events, they still wipe out the stores, wipe out the gas stations, and generally freak out.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:24   #6
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

It's funny how people can see it happening to others, but can't grasp the concept that it COULD happen to them and that they NEED to be prepared for it.

We live in a subdivision outside of town. A month ago, our water main broke. The wife didn't understand why the toilet wouldn't flush. She carries a gun, we have been buying prep items,( I have been at this for years, she is new to the whole survival prep )water, food, fuel, etc, but the whole toilet thing really shook her. I went out into the garage and got one of the 15 5 gal buckets filled with water that I keep for that purpose. I am now asked several times a day what else should we have. I said more 5 gal buckets with water in them for flushing the toilet. The main was broken for two days. We used just four of the buckets(really only needed to use two), but it was a new concept of not flushing the toilet EVERY time.

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:49   #7
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
I have tried to educate locals, but, for the most part, they care more about college football or spending money on cars, electronics, vacations.

Even after a few recent "SHTF" events, they still wipe out the stores, wipe out the gas stations, and generally freak out.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.
During the Irene hurricane, we got the tropical storm side of it. The supermarkets were swamped and people were justed crazies and the selves emptied quick! Areas around us lost power. The power co. is still milking the OT and there are still people without power as I write this. My wife stated to me what would happen if we had a "real" emergency? I simply told her that people would freak out even more and kill for a jug of water, thats why we prep.!
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:16   #8
cowboy1964

If we ever have a real emergency the last place I want to be is fighting the unwashed masses at the stores.
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote