SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-09-2011, 16:10   #1
Gasoil4ever
Glock Frog

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 ?

Generally speaking what are the main differences between a Remington and a Mossberg when you compare more or less equivalent versions (Tactical, Marine etc)

The Remington seems from what i see more expensive, where does the price difference come from ? Is there some real quality differences ?

(sorry shotgun noob question...)
G1 Niners Club #1-French
Former guns : G17F, G19, G26, S&W 686 6", 1911 Gold Cup, Contender 7mm TCU, Tanfoglio 99 Sport
Waiting for my local CCW permit

Last edited by Gasoil4ever; 09-09-2011 at 16:21..
Gasoil4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 16:30   #2
Dasglockenspiel

Generally speaking, the to systems are very reliable. Some prefer the trigger guard safety button that the Remy has which serves Rt Handers well. The Mossy on the otherhand has the safety on upper back of receiver so is neutral relative to left hand vs right hand. The Mossy still functions after being driven over by a Hum Vee, I would imagine the Remy could do the same.

They are both built inexpensively yet are very reliable.

Pick them up and handle them and see which seems to be the best natural fit for you before you buy. I have two 500s that function flawlessly....and would likely say the same about te 870.

Dasglockenspiel
Dasglockenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 17:08   #3
Aceman

Safety and release positions. That's it.

You may have an issue with the safety on a Mossberg, or the release on an 870. Both issues can be overcome by practice.

A Maverick 88 is the best of both worlds.

I'd be happy with either gun. Flip a coin. They are both excellent. differences are trivial / non-significant to all but seriously experienced shooters who have a preference.

Price difference comes from the name Remington.

Last edited by Aceman; 09-09-2011 at 17:08..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 17:28   #4
dc2integra

They are both build with reliability in mind.The safeties are the main difference between the two.The mossberg is lighter and has dual extractors.I personally went with the mossberg for those same reasons.

Last edited by dc2integra; 09-09-2011 at 17:32..
dc2integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 18:08   #5
bigcountry31987

They are both great guns I have shot both I like the mossberg cause its definatley a lighter gun but I prefer the remington 870 for reliability cause I've hunted with it for years and has never done me wrong.
bigcountry31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 19:24   #6
-gunut-

Check them out in person. The mossberg feels cheap compared to the 870. Both are sturdy guns.

Quote:
Torture tests are silly and prove nothing about a gun. Hell you pour sand down MY ass crack and I'll jam up and and fail to extract...
-gunut- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 19:28   #7
wrenrj1

Being a lefty, I like the Mossy's safety. That's why I own an 870! Don't ask.
Old 09-09-2011, 21:16   #8
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I never tried Mossberg 500, but I will. I love 870, but own Ithaca M37 Defense.
My best advise for You is to rent each model at the local range or ask around (maybe your friends own those) and give each shotgun a try. Try to work the safeties, cycle the action, point and shoot. This is the best way to figure out which model You like the best. With 870 You have a couple more options to go with - You have Express quality level, Wingmaster quality level and Police quality level to choose from. Mossy in this regard is pretty much one dimension shotgun.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 21:23   #9
alexanderg23

Remington is BA, moss is not
Old 09-09-2011, 21:28   #10
brausso

I have a police 870. Nothing bad to say about it. I'm negotiating a purchase right now for a mossberg 590 special purpose NIB. I love the 9 shot capability
brausso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 21:48   #11
Ferdinandd

I have both, and prefer the 870 with SF PG shoulder stock - the M500 safety is difficult to use with that stock type. Both are excellent shotguns and are reliable and robust. I like the loading port on the M500 over the 870 though - it's faster for me to load and doesn't have the risk of having a loaded shell get stuck on top of the carrier, jamming the action. The 870 is heavier since it's all steel, while the M500 has an alloy receiver. Shoot both of them and pick the one you like.
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:28   #12
Gasoil4ever
Glock Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Being a lefty, I like the Mossy's safety. That's why I own an 870! Don't ask.
I am a lefty to. Can you release the safety on your 870 with your left thumb or is there a lefty conversion kit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
I never tried Mossberg 500, but I will. I love 870, but own Ithaca M37 Defense.
My best advise for You is to rent each model at the local range or ask around (maybe your friends own those) and give each shotgun a try. Try to work the safeties, cycle the action, point and shoot. This is the best way to figure out which model You like the best. With 870 You have a couple more options to go with - You have Express quality level, Wingmaster quality level and Police quality level to choose from. Mossy in this regard is pretty much one dimension shotgun.
Thanks for your feedback guys !

Now you give me a serious dilema...

Even if after reading you guys i consider both will do the job 100% fine and will be comparably reliable :

I am a Lefty ----> Mossberg ?
I like good looking / quality stuff ----> Remington ?

Unfortunately there are no local shooting range in Cameroon, nor there is a Local Gun shop... i have to set up my mind on the net before i order it through DHL...
G1 Niners Club #1-French
Former guns : G17F, G19, G26, S&W 686 6", 1911 Gold Cup, Contender 7mm TCU, Tanfoglio 99 Sport
Old 09-10-2011, 01:50   #13
PlasticGuy

Mossberg 590a1 is the best answer, in my opinion. It has a thicker and stronger barrel and receiver than the 500, and dual extractors for total reliability in extraction. Combined with controls that are perfect for both left and right handed shooters, it is as good as it gets in a pump action combat shotgun.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:02   #14
Alderak

decided against a 2 shot gun?
Alderak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:33   #15
Gasoil4ever
Glock Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
Mossberg 590a1 is the best answer, in my opinion. It has a thicker and stronger barrel and receiver than the 500, and dual extractors for total reliability in extraction. Combined with controls that are perfect for both left and right handed shooters, it is as good as it gets in a pump action combat shotgun.
Eh eh i didn't realise they had a version that could be perfect for what i am looking for : 590A1 Mariner 6 shots : 18.5" heavy barrel, Marine coat (humid sea side environment), 6 shots. All i need is to get a pistol grip, Ghost Ring sights, a forend w/ tactical rail (for a lamp) and here is my baby !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderak View Post
decided against a 2 shot gun?
Considering i can get a 6 shots shotgun i guess i am going to go this way first.

Can beat the safety of a empty barrel + 6 shots below for night use. No risk of unwanted shot if the barrel is empty. On top of this the "creecccc-creeccccc" sound when loading is the first warning for the goblin intruding my home at night which is something that can happen if you are a foreigner here.

But once i'll be comfortable with the paper work + customs i'll get a SxS cause i started really liking them after doing some much research on them
G1 Niners Club #1-French
Old 09-10-2011, 08:34   #16
G19freak

Thats 6 shots TOTAL---if you leave it with an empty chamber, you'll only have 5.

Put a shell holder cuff on the stock to carry extra ammo.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:16   #17
Gasoil4ever
Glock Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19freak View Post
Thats 6 shots TOTAL---if you leave it with an empty chamber, you'll only have 5.

Put a shell holder cuff on the stock to carry extra ammo.
I am thinking of adding :

- Ghost Ring sights
- front picatinny rail + tactical lamp (for HD)
- Hogue pistol grip for HD, Tactical stock for outdoor fun / clay shooting
- shell holder cuff
G1 Niners Club #1-French
Old 09-10-2011, 15:47   #18
Aceman

Quote:
I am a Lefty ----> Mossberg ?
Yes - especially if you are NOT using a tacticool stock (no pistol grip + stock)
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 16:58   #19
Gasoil4ever
Glock Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Yes - especially if you are NOT using a tacticool stock (no pistol grip + stock)
Good to know !
G1 Niners Club #1-French
Old 09-10-2011, 19:46   #20
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

My vote is Mossberg, imho they're awesome. There is a huge list of Mossberg's I want to own and they're many that are similar, redundant, and I'd not needf them but I'd do it anyway.

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote