GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:54   #1
IndianaMatt

Anyone hunt deer using only iron sights?

Back in the Good Olde Days, there were no 12x scopes. Back in those days, a man had to feed his family using a rifle with ordinary fixed iron sights.

Does anyone still hunt this way? Taking aside for a moment the ethical implications of assuming more risk when you shoot at an animal, it seems this would bring a very big element of "fair chase" back to the sport.
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:00   #2
K1500

Yes, with both rifle and handgun.
K1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:41   #3
IndianaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1500 View Post
Yes, with both rifle and handgun.
Any major hits or misses hunting this way?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:10   #4
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
Any major hits or misses hunting this way?
Muzzle loader, and pistol, and yes I've had misses. Never really a clear miss per say, if I were trying to hit the sapling I didn't see with the naked eye. That's happened 3 or 4 times that I can remember. Scopes really help seeing small trees that for some reason I seem to hit often. The last time I did that, was five seasons ago, shot at a buck around 50 yards, with my muzzle loader, could not believe I missed. Walked up to where he was standing, and no sign of a hit. Walked back, and about half way between him, and I, was a sapling bent in half. Lifted it up to upright, and there was a perfect round hole about 2/3's of the way through the tree! When you are concentrating on a spot to shoot on the deer, it's easy to not see the trees for the forest.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:25   #5
K1500

Yep, both hits and misses, but misses are more informative. I missed a deer with a 6.5" S&W 629 Classic once. It was a shot across a small draw, maybe 30-40 yards. It was about 5 minutes into legal shooting light. I could see the deer, backstop, and sights well. At the shot, the deer looked up perplexed at the loud noise and then sauntered out of there. It was a clean miss (I checked). What I couldn't see in the low light were the small sticks of an intervening tree. Sure enough, I clipped one with my XTP. That's the excuse I'm running with anyway, as it was a pretty easy shot otherwise.
K1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:32   #6
alwaysshootin

I will also tell you this about pistol scopes, from experience! First light, seeing a nice buck, at about 40 yards standing broadside, and put the Redhawk up, topped with a Leupold scope, at least 10x's, and cannot, find the deer in the scope, and it was only a 2 power. Now when I use a scope, it's 0 power with a red dot!
Old 09-14-2011, 16:01   #7
quinnt

muzzleloader, pistol, and rifle. Shotgun has a 0x red dot on it, next rifle will have a small scope.
quinnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 17:50   #8
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Only thing in the gun safe with a scope, is the Ruger and the Remington 7mm rem mag, because we do a great deal of long range prairie shooting, and off the canyon rims behind the house.. I do not use them on levers, or hog legs or muzzle loaders. Nor sight pins on a recurve or long bow. I am and old dude who likes to stay simple. It works real well for me...

No one take this as offfense...

Bless you old boys and good hunting...

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 20:18   #9
IndianaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
... When you are concentrating on a spot to shoot on the deer, it's easy to not see the trees for the forest.
Wow, this is like some serious outdoorsman philosophy.
Old 09-15-2011, 20:49   #10
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
Wow, this is like some serious outdoorsman philosophy.
Yes it's something I take real serious!
Old 09-15-2011, 20:55   #11
Jonesee

I shoot iron sights on my Win Model 94 30/30. I shoot iron sights on my .50 cal. muzzleloader. I shoot iron sights on my 12 ga. slug gun. Everything else has a scope.

The 30/30 aims as easily as I point my finger. That may be because I have carried it for years as my sons grew up and I used as a back-up in case they missed. (they never did)

The slug gun shoots low. I've learned to use Kentucky windage to hit what I want.

The muzzleloader is fun to hunt with and its accuracy continues to surprise after all these years.

Last edited by Jonesee; 09-15-2011 at 20:55..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 17:41   #12
noway

I sot with Peer sights and glad for them and my scope rifles. Anything that makes your AIM more straight and accurate is a blessing.

To say the ole'den days they used iron sights , but I betcha a dollar they would glady take a scope or reddot was available. Just like we evolve to use better technology & tools, I highly doubt the massive would revert back to iron only sights.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 18:13   #13
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Took my first few deer with a scoped .243 Winchester but the most recent two deer with an open sighted Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm. I don't really have any plans to go back to ANYTHING with a scope. My primary deer gun has changed from the Razorback to my new (open sighted) Fusion longslide 10mm. The only long gun I might use in the future would be a nice open sighted lever-action in .30-30 or .44 mag.

I prefer to keep deer hunting close and using other skills to git em'
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 18:44   #14
walt cowan

the thing with iron sights is...low light. for years i hunted with iron sights on everything from shoutguns to rifles. legal hunting time in maryland is 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset. my iron sights were pretty much useless durring both those times. other than that they worked 95% of the time. rain, snow, ice and woods trash took the other 5%.
Old 09-20-2011, 19:14   #15
JK-linux

I can't recall ever firing on an animal with a scoped centerfire rifle or shotgun. I've taken some squirrels and bird with a scoped .22, but that's about it. Deer have all been iron sight shotgun and fowl were the same. I'd like to try
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 19:33   #16
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt cowan View Post
the thing with iron sights is...low light. for years i hunted with iron sights on everything from shoutguns to rifles. legal hunting time in maryland is 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset. my iron sights were pretty much useless durring both those times. other than that they worked 95% of the time. rain, snow, ice and woods trash took the other 5%.
Very true, and something most will fail to realize. I have to keep potential shots REAL CLOSE during those times.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 20:19   #17
noway

fwiw anybodu hunting with a 12x scope for deer at normal deer range is serious hamper. More so for a handgun. I more accuaret at 2x than 4x for handguns on paper targets.

Now at early light, the scopes win hands down over iron scope with identifying the target as far as I'm concern.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 21:33   #18
c01
Crazy Eye

I use irons with levers and handguns. No misses but as mentioned above the dusk/dawn thing is rough on both.

D
c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:25   #19
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Now that I think about it, I've always used a low power scope.

I've only shot three deer in my life, though.

Turkey and upland birds are a different story.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 13:53   #20
FPS

I hunt deer in Vermont with a Winchester lever action and open sights. Typical distance in the thick mountainous woods of Vermont is 100yds.

Last edited by FPS; 09-30-2011 at 13:54..
FPS is offline   Reply With Quote