Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:24   #1
mchlhotrod

Support H.R. 822, the "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011: Sup

Please help support the right to carry bill that will allow us who are unfortunate to live in a non constitutional state bring back the second amendment and join the rest of the nation. Please sign the petition.

http://www.change.org/petitions/supp...upport-hr-822-
mchlhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:44   #2
Gunnut 45/454

Nope I will not - the 2A already gives me the right to carry/tarvel! How about we support repealing the Fed and State laws that Infringe upon the 2A instead of adding new laws with more restrictions!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:58   #3
TexasFats
NRA, TSRA, SAF

Pass this bill and, I guarantee, within two years we will have legislation setting federal standards for states CCW licensure. Likely, such standards would impose "may issue" policies nationwide. I think that the NRA is off-base on this one. They are not looking far enough ahead. I oppose this. We need to try a different idea.

Besides, the feds are already too involved in gun laws.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.
TexasFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:25   #4
mchlhotrod

Good points.
mchlhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:27   #5
RGbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFats View Post
Pass this bill and, I guarantee, within two years we will have legislation setting federal standards for states CCW licensure. Likely, such standards would impose "may issue" policies nationwide. I think that the NRA is off-base on this one. They are not looking far enough ahead. I oppose this. We need to try a different idea.

This.

I remember well when the Feds got involved in setting standards for state gun policies. We got hammered with Gun Control Act 1968, and later the Biden Crime Bill (AWB).

Let the individual states sort out gun CCW permit standards.
Old 09-14-2011, 18:07   #6
dnuggett
PRO 2A

It was a bad idea in all the other threads and it's a bad idea in this one.

Last edited by dnuggett; 09-14-2011 at 18:10..
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 18:47   #7
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 09-14-2011, 20:26   #8
paperairplane

Gun nut - dead on right son.
paperairplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:49   #9
1gewehr

Quote:

Absolutely ON TARGET!!! Imagine, ATF eventually regulating ALL CCW permits. Does THAT sound like a good idea?
1gewehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:13   #10
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

Quote:

This is basically my fear as well.

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 20:59   #11
codecowboy
NRA Life Member

While I love the idea of nationwide reciprocity...I think this bill totally tramples State's Rights.
codecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:59   #12
TexasFats
NRA, TSRA, SAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecowboy View Post
While I love the idea of nationwide reciprocity...I think this bill totally tramples State's Rights.
I think that it gives federal politicians a reason to get much more involved in CCW licensure. I can easily see the anti-gun crowd, Pelosi, Boxer, Feinstein, Schumer, and all of the other usual suspects, claiming that, since states have to have reciprocity with all state-issued CCW permits, then there should be a "national standard" for licensure. Can you imagine what that national standard would be if that bunch wrote the law?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:36   #13
Jerry

Quote:
I think that it gives federal politicians a reason to get much more involved in CCW licensure. I can easily see the anti-gun crowd, Pelosi, Boxer, Feinstein, Schumer, and all of the other usual suspects, claiming that, since states have to have reciprocity with all state-issued CCW permits, then there should be a "national standard" for licensure. Can you imagine what that national standard would be if that bunch wrote the law?
If it were to be like the DMV you could be deaf dumb (not unable to speak but actually stupid) and blind and be “given” a permit. But we all know in reality, since we’re talking about those EVIL guns, you’ll be required to know every law for “every” state and be required to sign a contract that if you shoot/kill a bad guy you will surrender yourself for a life term in prison. After all they wouldn’t want us to hurt the BGs. It’s for the children.

When I first heard of this, several years ago, I thought it was a terrific idea. Then I had time to think about it and listen to what others thought of it. It’s one of the worst things we could ever allow the Federal Government to get it’s hooks into.
BIG DAWG #4

Liberal: Someone who is so open-minded their brains have fallen out.
Guns are not dangerous, people are.

Last edited by Jerry; 09-17-2011 at 10:40..
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:12   #14
OldCurlyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchlhotrod View Post
Please help support the right to carry bill that will allow us who are unfortunate to live in a non constitutional state bring back the second amendment and join the rest of the nation. Please sign the petition.

http://www.change.org/petitions/supp...upport-hr-822-

Not a snowball's chance in hades. Too many "unintended consequences" possible to happen if this bill passes.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)
OldCurlyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 18:15   #15
Front Sight
Front Sight

OldCurleyWolf is absolutely right!!!!!
The Gun Control Act of 1968 is a clear example of the US gov't staging the both Kennedy's and Kings death to further restrict firearms owner ship.
Remember it was then Congressman Schumer that fought hard to ban firearms from air planes, by everyone. If only one person hand a loaded firearm on those planes thousands of people would be alive today. We would not be spending billion of dollars on several wars.
Gov't is going in the back door to keep people from owning a firearm while saying they support the 2nd amendment, by turning as many people into a felon using new laws.
The very people we have elected are turning us into a 3rd world country.
Vote them all out! Do it for the children.
SAF
BIG DAWG #821
Front Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:12   #16
DrBob

I've read these sort of posts on almost every forum to which I subscribe. There is always someone who says, "The Feds will screw it up/take our guns/change requiriments/ etc. etc. It is self evident that most of these people are showing knee jerk responses to something they call state's rights.

THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE!

PLEASE READ THE NRA POSITION AND THE FACT vs MYTH portion of this URL
NRA-ILA :: National Right-to-Carry Bill Under Attack
before getting paranoid about it.

We really need this bill and we need everyone who carries and travels outside their own state to get behind it. It is important that politicians understand that the 14th amendment counts and that the 2nd amendment means that peoples right to carry is a constitutional right that transcends state borders.

Good health actually just means dying at the slowest possible rate.
DrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:16   #17
TexasFats
NRA, TSRA, SAF

Dr. Bob, I have read both the NRA's condescending reply to my concerns and your diatribe. I got the same "official" response when I emailed them. I have watched the gun grabbers for over 40 years now. Believe me, we can't give them an inch. Of course, this legislation merely says that states have to respect each others' carry permits. But, neither you nor the NRA can guarantee that, one or two or five years from now, some bozo like Schumer, Pelosi, Boxer, Feinstein, McCarthy, et. al., won't come back with the argument that, "We make states honor each others' carry permits so there must be a uniform standard for licensing". And, neither you nor the NRA can guarantee that we will have the votes in congress to defeat such a proposal.

By the way, I am a Benefactor Life Member of the NRA, a Life Member of the TSRA, and an annual supporter of the SAF. But, this whole thing looks like a classic case of, "Be careful what you ask for--you might get it". Remember the Law of Unintended Consequences works overtime in politics. Also, remember that we just barely won Heller and McDonald by one vote on the Supreme Court. Let's not let those successes lure us into an attitude of hubris that could undo all that has been accomplished for gun rights during the last 25 years.

By the way, I can also call myself Doctor, with an earned Ph.D. in Financial Economics, just in case you wanted to know, or even if you didn't want to know.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:44   #18
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Dr. Bob, I have read both the NRA's condescending reply to my concerns and your diatribe. I got the same "official" response when I emailed them. I have watched the gun grabbers for over 40 years now. Believe me, we can't give them an inch. Of course, this legislation merely says that states have to respect each others' carry permits. But, neither you nor the NRA can guarantee that, one or two or five years from now, some bozo like Schumer, Pelosi, Boxer, Feinstein, McCarthy, et. al., won't come back with the argument that, "We make states honor each others' carry permits so there must be a uniform standard for licensing". And, neither you nor the NRA can guarantee that we will have the votes in congress to defeat such a proposal.

By the way, I am a Benefactor Life Member of the NRA, a Life Member of the TSRA, and an annual supporter of the SAF. But, this whole thing looks like a classic case of, "Be careful what you ask for--you might get it". Remember the Law of Unintended Consequences works overtime in politics. Also, remember that we just barely won Heller and McDonald by one vote on the Supreme Court. Let's not let those successes lure us into an attitude of hubris that could undo all that has been accomplished for gun rights during the last 25 years.

By the way, I can also call myself Doctor, with an earned Ph.D. in Financial Economics, just in case you wanted to know, or even if you didn't want to know.
Amen.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43   #19
Spats McGee

I agree wholeheartedly with TexasFats on this. Once the federal government gets involved in CCLs and licensing, it opens the door to more federal regulation.

Besides, I read the bill, and my take on it is this: If you have a CCL, you'd be able to CC in any other state which does not expressly prohibit CC. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean anything in any state where CC is prohibited by law. So it still wouldn't allow any CC in Illinois, for example, so it's no help to them.

As for me personally, an Arkansas CHCL is already honored in 37 states according to handgunlaw.us. The risks of this bill greatly outweigh any benefit to me.

This is a matter best handled at the State level.
Spats McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 13:40   #20
J_Rico

I agree with the OP on this one.

Everyone says this will let the feds get there hands in gun control. Well they have been mucking around in gun control since the 30's. A little too late to keep them out.

People claim that the feds will set license standards. There is no provision for this. Could they add it later? Sure. They could also set standards for licensure right now w/o ever passing reciprocity.

I also disagree that it has anything to do with state's rights. States should not be able to trample the RTKBA. The RTKBA is a prexisting right protected (not granted) by the 2A. IMO the law does not go far enough.

I am a big proponent of state's rights, but state's have long been trampling individual rights. This is a small step in the right direction.

IMO this law should not be necessary. I believe that each citizen has the pre-existing right to be armed just about anywhere. Sadly, the states and the feds have trampled this right for decades. This law is a step back towards the right path.