Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:23   #1
ursoboostd

RCBS seater gouging bullets

I'm setting my press up to load 10mm for the 1st time. Anybody else had this problem? I'm using RCBS dies and the seater seems to be seating the bullet on the shoulder of the bullet and gouging the crap of it. So far I've tried 180gr Precision Deltas and 180gr Xtreme plated bullets with the same gouging outcome. Thinking of maybe sanding the seater plug down a little, so that it seats the bullet with the FP of the bullet instead of gouging the shoulder.

I load 40S&W with Lee dies and do not have this problem. I posted this in the 10mm reloading section also. I actually just discovered that part of the forum 2 days ago. lol -Wade-
Old 09-17-2011, 11:37   #2
unclebob

Did you clean the die before using?
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-17-2011, 11:47   #3
ursoboostd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Did you clean the die before using?
No I didn't, but I just did.

I just thought of something. I'm use to seating and crimping in 2 different stages. This is my 1st time setting up seating and crimping in the same stage. I'm measuring .422 on the case at the base of a seated bullet. I'm trying to set my tapered crimp at .422-.421. Am I over crimping causing to much tension while the seater is trying to seat the bullet? Thanks for the help. -Wade-
Old 09-17-2011, 12:16   #4
unclebob

Run the bullet seating stem down. Screw the die in put a case in the shell holder. Run the ram up screw the die down until it touches the bullet. Lower the ram run the die down some, measure the COL keep doing this until you get the right COL. Once you have your COL run your seating stem out, now screw your die in until your get the right crimp. Lock the lock ring. Then screw the bullet seating stem down until it makes contact with the bullet. Youíre done. Itís easier than it sounds.
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-17-2011, 12:42   #5
ursoboostd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Run the bullet seating stem down. Screw the die in put a case in the shell holder. Run the ram up screw the die down until it touches the bullet. Lower the ram run the die down some, measure the COL keep doing this until you get the right COL. Once you have your COL run your seating stem out, now screw your die in until your get the right crimp. Lock the lock ring. Then screw the bullet seating stem down until it makes contact with the bullet. Youíre done. Itís easier than it sounds.
That's pretty much exactly what the RCBS directions say. I was doing that, but somehow I had my crimp to aggressive. I backed the crimp off to about even with the case (.422). Looks like the problem is solved. Damn Operator error. lol Thank for the help Bob
Old 09-17-2011, 13:01   #6
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Yup, you want to flatten the case mouth against the bullet shank in auto pistol cartridges. You're just removing the bell you put before you charged it with powder. Bullet tension is created in the sizing die.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 18:43   #7
ursoboostd

Well it has not been a good week for me and RCBS. Bullet puller broke Saturday. Even without over crimping the seater is still gouging my bullets. This is my 1st set of RCBS dies. The deprimer pin on my Lee dies will push out the top of the die if there is to much tension on it. Not so with the RCBS dies. Bent the rod in the middle of the resizer/deprimer die.

Reloading
Reloading
Old 09-19-2011, 18:46   #8
unclebob

I think the only pins I have ever bent have been RCBS.
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-19-2011, 20:38   #9
fredj338

If you seat & crimp in separate steps, there should be less of an issue. Thicker brass & trrying to seat & crimp at the same time offers mroe resistance.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:41   #10
Cap'n

I'm using .40 S&W RCBS dies and a Hornady LnL press.

I've run into the same problem (bullet marring) with Precision Delta 165-grain FMJs.

Fortunately, I don't have any evidence this affects the accuracy of the finished cartridge -- it probably would if damage was to the bullet's base -- but the cosmetic blemish offends my sense of craftsmanship.

If I'm real careful when placing the bullet on the case, I can reduce the marring to perhaps 10% of the rounds. However, that's time-consuming.

I considered machining the bullet seater; or using hot glue to remold the bullet seater. In the end, I ordered different seater plugs from RCBS. Got two of the new seaters within days ($8/each), but the one I really wanted for the PD 165s is backordered.

Believe you can send RCBS a sample bullet and for a very modest amount they'll create a custom seater plug for you. $12-$20?? Of course, that requires patience to wait for it, and I WANT to reload.
Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:21   #11
ursoboostd

I just ordered another set of Lee dies. I've had good luck with them in every other caliber I shoot. The RCBS dies will go up for sale after I get a new rod.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:33   #12
Tpro
On the mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursoboostd View Post
Well it has not been a good week for me and RCBS. Bullet puller broke Saturday. Even without over crimping the seater is still gouging my bullets. This is my 1st set of RCBS dies. The deprimer pin on my Lee dies will push out the top of the die if there is to much tension on it. Not so with the RCBS dies. Bent the rod in the middle of the resizer/deprimer die.

Reloading
Reloading
The bullet puller failure must have been an issue with manufacturing, because the materiel used to make those things is tough. Maybe a small fissure during processing...IDK, unless you have pulled a million or so bullets and it just wore out.

Anyone else ever see this?
Tpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:42   #13
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

The material that a kinetic puller is struck with can have an impact, (no pun intended but it is pretty good even if I do say so myself), on the life span of the puller.

Striking concrete, metal, etc. will put stresses on the plastic that it was not designed for. The recommended striking surface is the end grain of a piece of 4X4... of if your aim is as poor as Unclebob perhaps a piece of 12X12.

My original puller is well over 45 years old, still works fine, and I pulled a lot of bullets in my younger years.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 21:54   #14
Kwesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursoboostd View Post

Reloading
Reloading
Exactly what happend to my RCBS kinetic. I called them up & they said they would send me a new one as soon as they received the two pieces! Good deal.
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 21:59   #15
hdsteve69

I had this problem once and it was cause I was loading flat nose bullet with a round nose seater my rcbs 40 dies came with 2 seaters one for flat one for round once I figured which one was which I never had a problem again . I also seat and crimp in one step.
hdsteve69 is offline   Reply With Quote