SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-17-2011, 15:10   #1
humanguerrilla

Wise Food Buckets

http://wisefoodstorage.com/gourmet-e...food-kits.html

ok price and listed 25 yr storage on what looks like convenient Mtn House style packets in decent buckets. Saw these in sportsmansguide and some other places. Anyone try their food?

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 09-17-2011 at 15:11..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 22:41   #2
DaScotsman
D-FENS

It tastes good enough... but it's sky high in Sodium...

I'm still going to buy/keep some as an emergency fallback, after regular preps...
that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst."
-Lt Jean Rasczak
DaScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 23:05   #3
cowboy1964

All these types of foods are high in sodium. And fat too usually.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 23:35   #4
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
If you get to the point where you NEED to eat them, you won't care. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:13   #5
Aceman

I'm in Florida. Sodium in the hot and fat in SHTF are all good.

If I'm eating this stuff longevity is being measured in DAYS, not years!

Last edited by Aceman; 09-18-2011 at 07:14..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 14:29   #6
rwrjr

Quote:
They are all usually high in MSG too. Nothing wrong with extra fat. If you're eating these because you have to then you'll want all the calories you can get. Fat = energy.

When Wise first started distribution they offered free samples. All you had to do was fill out a web form, somebody would contact you to ask a few questions, then they would mail you a couple of samples.

I seem to remember that they tasted ok, were mainly pasta with some sort of sauce. Not too much different than MH and some other dehydrated foods. The serving sizes are small so expect to eat a lot of servings per day to maintain weight. If you favor long term storage type foods these could fit the bill. I would recommend having other foods too but supplementing calories with Wise food pouches wouldn't hurt.

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 14:53   #7
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrjr View Post
When Wise first started distribution they offered free samples.
They still are.

Reviews are mixed, some people suffer an acute, sudden condition that causes them to, ah, not retain the meal for the normal length of time. Test before you need is wise advice.

Oh-- No animal protiens, but TVP in their recipes.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:10   #8
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

TVP,,,,,sounds familiar,,,,,

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05   #9
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

http://www.foodinsurance.com/food_in...e/foodkits.php

Are these guys any better?

Don't want any "reactions".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:18   #10
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Tagged for further info.

Wise looks interesting. It looks like Mountain House, but my question is what is the calorie content? I can' get anything off their website. How many calories per meal. If the per meal calorie count per serving above 650, or if the total Breakfast Lunch and Dinner is at 2000 calories or more then I'm sold. The per meal price is cheaper than mountain house, and for $179 to feed one person 3 meals a day for a month, comes out to $6.39 per day. All that and a 25 year shelf life, if the calorie count is acceptable it would be a steal. Heck if the food taste real good, for that price I would buy some extra to use for camping and hiking.

http://wisefoodstorage.com/gourmet-e...nd-entree.html

If the calorie count is low, like 200 calories per meal then its a waste of money.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 09-22-2011 at 09:35..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:32   #11
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
http://www.foodinsurance.com/food_in...e/foodkits.php

Are these guys any better?

Don't want any "reactions".
We had a thread on that a while back, but I can't find it and it might have gooten lost in the last crash.

Honestly its OK, but I think you could build your own copy of that 2 week kit with Mountain house packs, and a legit backpack for about the same price. Again, if you pack your own Mountain house food you will already know the calorie count and how the food taste, that food insurance stuff will be a mystery.

If you want to buy a ready made kit, I don't think its too bad. I would just check on the calorie count per meal, and the overall weight (I'm guessing that its heavy) befor you buy.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 09-22-2011 at 09:36..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:40   #12
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Found this site. Looks like a good way to compare.

http://www.foodstoragereviews.com/food-storage-brands/

--Gunhaver

Old 09-22-2011, 12:03   #13
rwrjr

Quote:
Found this site. Looks like a good way to compare.

http://www.foodstoragereviews.com/food-storage-brands/
Thanks for posting this list. There are a few names on there that I haven't run across before. The reviews are helpful even if subjective.

They have a deals page that gets you money off or free shipping on some of the brands so don't forget to check the deals before you buy.

I just might have to augment my preps after browsing this site some more.

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 14:57   #14
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Word to the wise: Food Insurance will ship you a sample for $5. The package arrived today and was labeled “Daily Bread”…Hmmm. A month ago we requested a sample directly from Daily Bread – exactly the same sample bag of “Beef Stroganoff with Noodles”. Guess what? It was free!
Why did Food Insurance sell us a $5 bag of a “Daily Bread” product? Whatever their reason, it is not disclosed on their web site.
FYI the Daily Bread Beef Stroganoff has by far much better flavor & texture than the Beef Stroganoff Wise Food product.
Daily bread and Food Insurance may be selling some of the same products.

Here are the pictures of their 2 week bug out kits.
Survival/Preparedness Forum

--Gunhaver

Old 09-22-2011, 15:51   #15
cowboy1964

Quote:

Those look like nice packs if the quality is decent. Was thinking about getting a Kelty Redwing but these look comparable. Not crazy about red though.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 09-22-2011 at 15:51..
Old 09-22-2011, 16:19   #16
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Those look like nice packs if the quality is decent. Was thinking about getting a Kelty Redwing but these look comparable. Not crazy about red though.
From the look of it, it's a light use item. There are plenty of military surplus bags out there that may not look uber cool, but are cheap, and work well for years of use.
http://www.google.com/search?q=milit...w=1687&bih=885

I drug a single Alice pack across Texas, Southwest Asia three times, Eastern and Western Europe many times. I've had the same one for 20+ years. I always put the one I was issued in a plastic bag, and took my own. Same stuff, just didn't have to worry about cleaning the darn thing. There are a lot of nooks and crannies.

I still take it on hunting trips. I may not look like a badazz ninja, but I can still bring all my gear.

--Gunhaver

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 09-22-2011 at 16:19..
Old 09-23-2011, 18:55   #17
WolfNotSheep
Tackleberry

I did some research on these since they advertise the buckets as 1-month food supplies. And they are....if you eat less than 1000 calories per day. I think each.pouch averaged between 200 and 350 calories and you only get three pouches per day.
Old 09-23-2011, 20:45   #18
cowboy1964

These freeze dried foods should be supplemented with other types of food.... canned, boxed, etc. So a "one month supply" should ideally last several months.
Old 09-23-2011, 21:00   #19
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
These freeze dried foods should be supplemented with other types of food.... canned, boxed, etc. So a "one month supply" should ideally last several months.
That's what I was thinking. 250 calories a serving is WAY too low.

My dogs are upset, because they can't get under any of the beds in the house. Those areas are full of canned and dry food, and water. Still, might buy a 2 week bug out bag for a truly desperate situation. I can quietly kill more birds than my family could eat in a day in the back yard. Air, and BB's. I could help out a neighbor or two. I have access to near by area's where feral Hogs and Deer are plentiful, and a water resivior.

--Gunhaver

Old 09-23-2011, 23:47   #20
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Our menu goals are 3000cals a day winter,and 2000cals a day summer.There is a +/- adjusted inta the equation so we can go up/down as "activity" dictates.Those FD buckets that are advertised are just add ons ta a healthy cal base.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote