SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:04   #1
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

New Flesh eating bug spreading in UK

I love the name for it, USA300. Anyway its can spread by touch, or sneeze/cough, its anitbotic resistant and it can kill you if you catch it.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/889131-f...zes-and-coughs
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 19:08   #2
jdavionic
NRA Member

Sounds pleasant. I am ignorant about meds, but I just wonder how many of these types of resilient strains evolve due to the misuse of antibiotics.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:39   #3
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quarantine on flights coming in from the UK!
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:54   #4
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Sounds pleasant. I am ignorant about meds, but I just wonder how many of these types of resilient strains evolve due to the misuse of antibiotics.
A crapload. I can't tell you how many people I know who have not finished a complete course of antibotics, or who think popping an antibotic for something like a cold or virus will help.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:32   #5
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Quarantine on flights coming in from the UK!
Uh, it's already here in the U.S. In fact it was first reported here.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 02-03-2012 at 10:33..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 20:33   #6
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Okay, nevermind.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:06   #7
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Another flavor of MRSA.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:38   #8
id1otbox

With the fear mongering decription in that article I would think all of Manhattan would be dying from this bacteria infection. What am I missing that there are no reports of millions dying? If it is so infectious and widespread in America why is this the first I have heard of this. For some reason I don't think I need to worry about contracting it in the mall tomorrow on my day off. Ya know, I haven't gotten it the last million times I was in a public setting.
id1otbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:39   #9
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse????

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:50   #10
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by id1otbox View Post
With the fear mongering decription in that article I would think all of Manhattan would be dying from this bacteria infection. What am I missing that there are no reports of millions dying? If it is so infectious and widespread in America why is this the first I have heard of this. For some reason I don't think I need to worry about contracting it in the mall tomorrow on my day off. Ya know, I haven't gotten it the last million times I was in a public setting.
It usually doesn't kill. And you may very well have it without showing symptoms: one report I read said about 20% of the population are carriers. As long as your immune system is up, no big deal.

It is a big worry in hospital settings, where lowered resistance is common, and in jails or shelters where people are crammed close together.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 13:44   #11
id1otbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
It usually doesn't kill. And you may very well have it without showing symptoms: one report I read said about 20% of the population are carriers. As long as your immune system is up, no big deal.

It is a big worry in hospital settings, where lowered resistance is common, and in jails or shelters where people are crammed close together.
Thanks for the education but in all honesty I work in health care and know about this. My response was mainly at the verbiage of the article creating a lot of fear but leaving out the facts. Something that intellectuals often do to influence the stupid public.
Old 02-04-2012, 14:37   #12
F350

My wife pick up a low level antibiotic resistant staph infection on her face while in the hospital undergoing breast cancer treatment, and due to an inhibited immune system from chemo and radiation she has not been able to get rid of it. She has small raw patches on her chin, nose and cheeks that she can beat back some but always come back.

Recently in some internet searches I found you can get topical ointments containing 10-30 ppm of silver, silver has long been known to have antibacterial properties and is used in bandages for extensive burns, water purification etc. I ordered some 24 ppm gel (couldn't find 30 ppm) and while the final verdict is not in yet it is showing real promise, the raw patches are as reduced as I have ever seen and she just may be on the verge of getting rid of it!

Just in case anyone is interested...

http://www.silversolutionusa.com/asa...nd-body-24ppm/

Last edited by F350; 02-04-2012 at 14:38..
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:19   #13
Carry16

Sorry to hear of your wife's experience, and my best wishes for a quick recovery from her current problem - my wife had breast cancer in 2011.

I am not in the medical field.

You should be able to get silver sulfadiazine with a prescrition from your doctor. That is often used to treat burns. FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
My wi7

fe pick up a low level antibiotic resistant staph infection on her face while in the hospital undergoing breast cancer treatment, and due to an inhibited immune system from chemo and radiation she has not been able to get rid of it. She has small raw patches on her chin, nose and cheeks that she can beat back some but always come back.

Recently in some internet searches I found you can get topical ointments containing 10-30 ppm of silver, silver has long been known to have antibacterial properties and is used in bandages for extensive burns, water purification etc. I ordered some 24 ppm gel (couldn't find 30 ppm) and while the final verdict is not in yet it is showing real promise, the raw patches are as reduced as I have ever seen and she just may be on the verge of getting rid of it!

Just in case anyone is interested...

http://www.silversolutionusa.com/asa...nd-body-24ppm/
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:36   #14
id1otbox

You can ingest colloidal silver water which many believe to have great benefits. Apparently silver colloid acts as a co-enzyme to an enzyme used in the respiration process of many harmful bacteria.
Old 02-05-2012, 15:24   #15
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Another flavor of MRSA.
This.

All drug-resistant strains are bad, this is just another example of why.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:20   #16
RatDrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by id1otbox View Post
You can ingest colloidal silver water which many believe to have great benefits. Apparently silver colloid acts as a co-enzyme to an enzyme used in the respiration process of many harmful bacteria.
Be careful advising stuff like this. Some colloidal silver *might* be safe to drink, others can lead to heavy metal poisoning. There is a Senator out West whose skin is gray from too much silver. Some CS is for external use only.
RatDrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:13   #17
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Knowledge is key in ALL preps.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote