Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-18-2011, 15:07   #1
Glock 1

.22 for a young girl - advice needed

This is for all of you guys and gals that have a .22 in your arsenal. I don't mean a conversion kit either. My daughter went with me to the gun show and has begun to show an amazing interest in my hobby. I want to foster this interest but she is only 11. She really likes the new G26 I bought as well a all of my Glocks but I think a 9MM, .40 and .45ACP is a little ahead of the game.

I would like to get her a .22 to start off with and work her up the calibers as she gets older and gains knowledge and experience with guns. I was wondering what pistols you all have that are .22? I know she won't stick to the .22 but I would like to keep it for plinking so I want a decent one. I can use it at the range when I am on a budget too. I also want a semi-auto and not a rifle.

Oh, I also need it to be kinda light. I was looking at the Browning and the S&W .22's but I think they might be a bit heavy. Any suggestions?

The Pistol Depot

Last edited by Glock 1; 09-18-2011 at 15:08..
Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 15:30   #2
Glock 1

How about these?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/26991

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/69935

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/57644

The Pistol Depot
Old 09-18-2011, 15:49   #3
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

My friend's 9 year old daughter was able to handle my Ruger MK3 Srandard just fine.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 15:53   #4
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

I am thinking you would be better off with a 22/45 or MK III. This is coming from someone who owns more Smith and Wesson handguns then any other manufacture. I looked at the 22A and even had a deal lined up for 235OTD. I just ended up passing on it the mag release is awkward at best and the sights where horrible.

I ended up going with the 22/45 which is a Polymer version MK 3. There are several different styles of the 22/45 including one with removable grips (one linked does not have removable grips).

One thing I look at is getting the most reliable 22 you can get. What fun is it to have a gun that is ultra picky or is not reliable. I know the Rugers are pretty much the industry standard for reliability.

The other nice thing about the Rugers is it can grow with her there are so many mods for a 22/45 its crazy. Also if you find she really enjoys shooting it and gets more into shooting sports you can customize it more to her taste. The weight issue if it turns out to be to heavy for her there are Aluminum barrels you can get

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=560132

Like I said the skys the limit with customizing them.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13153

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13148
Old 09-18-2011, 16:34   #5
Glock 1

It's priced right and gets great reviews too. I like the Ruger too. Plus, I think the mags are fairly inexpensive too.

The Pistol Depot
Old 09-18-2011, 16:45   #6
Faulkner
Patriot

I'm fan of Ruger .22 semi autos and have several and would highly recommend one. But, several years ago when my wife got to hankering for her very own .22 pistol she picked a Walther P22. Both she and my youngest son love shooting it because of it's smaller size and we've found it to be plenty accurate and reliable.
Old 09-18-2011, 20:34   #7
bac1023

I vote Ruger.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:54   #8
Glock 1

I have shot the Ruger before and know it to be an excellent gun. I got to see first hand an Anthracite P22 at the gun show and really like it too. I think it will come down to those two. It will be a few weeks before I buy but when I do, I will post it up with a range review.

The Pistol Depot
Old 09-19-2011, 06:26   #9
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88

I'm a revolver guy so I'll throw in the Ruger Bearcat

Rimfire Forum
Old 09-19-2011, 06:31   #10
Glock 1

Nice! I used to own an old H&R that had interchangeable cylinders for .22 LR and .22 Magnum. Loved that gun. I regret ever selling it.

The Pistol Depot
Old 09-19-2011, 07:15   #11
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Rimfire Forum

Part of the reason I suggested the MKIII is the size of and angle of the grip. They're small hand friendly.
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 13:50   #12
Bulletsrrfriend

Ruger all the way! Pistol or revolver you can't go wrong. I opted for their Super Single Six in stainless steel. Mainly because I could use 22CB shorts to keep the noise down, even with ear and eye protection the lower sound level was nice. Then I could work up through the the multiple long rifle offerings finally getting to hype velocity rounds after a couple of shooting sessions. Did the same with the 12GA and the Aguilla rounds. Now my daughter loves to shoot my .454 Casull almost as much as I do.
Bulletsrrfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 18:15   #13
Faulkner
Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJ View Post
I'm a revolver guy so I'll throw in the Ruger Bearcat

Rimfire Forum
For small hands I would also recommend a Bearcat. They are just plain ol' fun to shoot.
Old 09-19-2011, 18:18   #14
bluebeemer
CLM Number 71
Charter Lifetime Member

Ruger 22 autos have probably helped more new shooters get started than everything else combined! My preference is the 22/45, but they are all good. Another good 22 for beginners and experienced alike is the Walther P22 (3.4 bbl). Both are economical to purchase and feed.

Mike
bluebeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:43   #15
Bill Keith

I bet the Bearcat would fit her hands well. It is a small size and light weight. The single action makes it safer for a young shooter than a semiauto with a magazine. The young shooter has to make intentional actions to load, cock, and fire a single action revolver - and you can safely tell immediately if it has the hammer back or down by looking at it! ALSO, it makes a great trail gun for hiking and you'd like it... a LOT
Bill Keith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:41   #16
Glock 1

I think I will end up with the stainless MK III Hunter model witht he 5.5" fluted barrel. I really like it. The price is right and I think fits the bill. It will do for her first gun and it will do for me when she moves on (she found a Bersa .380 she really likes) to other guns. They grow up so fast. My Ken and Barbie girl has suddenly become my new shooting buddy. That alone is well worth the cost of the gun.

The Pistol Depot
Old 09-20-2011, 15:26   #17
ardiver

My nephew is 11 and while he likes my wife's Beretta Neos, and it's a favorite with the kids during our youth firearm safety days at our range. He and I both really liked the Colt (Umarex) 1911 .22 so I picked up the "Government Model" AKA base model and after 300-400 rounds to get it loosened up it's become quite dependable with most any bulk .22 ammo same as the NEOS. It's lighter than a standard 1911 but not so light as to make you think it's a toy. So the Beretta NEOS, MKII or MKIII or the Colt (Umarex) 1911 .22 would be my suggestions.
ardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:31   #18
vafish

I don't know why you don't want a conversion kit.

If your daughter loves the g26 and you want to move her up to that the conversion kit is the best way to go.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:51   #19
Sbh87
Handgunner

I have to agree with the MKIII or the bearcat would be good choices. May I also suggest a Ruger Single Six. It is a bit bigger and may be a bit big at first but it would allow your daughter to almost grow into the gun. As she gets older the bearcat may (or may not) become too small and Single Six would help avoid that since it's more along the lines of a full size gun. I also had a MKIII competition model since I was about 11 and that was never a bad fit then or now.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:40   #20
TreyG-20
Second2None

Send a message via Yahoo to TreyG-20
I have a 22/45 and a browing Buckmark. love them both and cant go wrong with either
Old 10-03-2011, 15:22   #21
wjv

Quote:
.22 for a young girl
That doesn't seem like a very good trade. . . .

Seriously though. . .

Rifle: Henry Lever gun OR Marlin Bolt gun
Revolver: Taurus M94 (yes they are accurate and reliable)
Pistol: Ruger MkIII

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 14:16   #22
brickboy240

My daughter thinks my Ruger 22-45 is hers, now! LOL

Seriously....I vote for the Ruger...its a great shooter.

- brickboy240
Old 01-15-2012, 05:58   #23
Lew-G17

My suggestion is to take her to another show and let her handle every 22LR at the show. Sit down for lunch and discuss with her what she liks and does not like, then buy her what she chooses.

She will cherish the day and the purchase forever.

If what she chooses does not run well most factories will take car of you, especially if you tell the "story" and how disapointed she is.

On the subject of specific pistols, my 12yo granddaugher loves my Walther P22 with the long barrel. My youngest son also learned to shoot with it.

Lew-G17
Lew-G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:59   #24
JimK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 1 View Post
I think I will end up with the stainless MK III Hunter model witht he 5.5" fluted barrel. I really like it. The price is right and I think fits the bill. It will do for her first gun and it will do for me when she moves on (she found a Bersa .380 she really likes) to other guns. They grow up so fast. My Ken and Barbie girl has suddenly become my new shooting buddy. That alone is well worth the cost of the gun.
How about the Bersa Thunder .22 ? Same gun as the 380 in a a .22 caliber. Mine shoots great.Stick with the CCI Mini Mags.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 15:38   #25
Justin1911

My nephew is 11 and handled my 17 with AA .22 kit just fine a few weeks ago, was his first time shooting a hand gun and did very well. I started by just loading one round and going to slide lock until he was more comfortable and showed good muzzle control. So my vote is a .22 kit for the 26 you already have.
Justin1911 is offline   Reply With Quote