Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:04   #1
callihan_44
INFIDEL

Reading to your kids is unfair to those whos parents dont

Reading to children at bedtime: ABC questions value of time-honoured practice

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227335151442

this is pure ****ing liberalism at it's finest

“Evidence shows that the difference between those who get bedtime stories and those who don’t — the difference in their life chances — is bigger than the difference between those who get elite private schooling and those that don’t,” British academic Adam Swift told ABC presenter Joe Gelonesi

THE ABC has questioned whether parents should read to their children before bedtime, claiming it could give your kids an “unfair advantage” over less fortunate children.
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 15:17   #2
SCmasterblaster

I never read BT stories to my son, and he is now an adult conservative.
Old 05-05-2015, 15:29   #3
whoflungdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by callihan_44 View Post
Reading to children at bedtime: ABC questions value of time-honoured practice

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227335151442

this is pure ****ing liberalism at it's finest

“Evidence shows that the difference between those who get bedtime stories and those who don’t — the difference in their life chances — is bigger than the difference between those who get elite private schooling and those that don’t,” British academic Adam Swift told ABC presenter Joe Gelonesi

THE ABC has questioned whether parents should read to their children before bedtime, claiming it could give your kids an “unfair advantage” over less fortunate children.
So does proper nutrition, health care, and unconditional love. Should those be withheld too?

GTDS Certified Member #9
whoflungdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 16:19   #4
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

Just when you thought the morons couldn't get any more stupid.
Old 05-05-2015, 16:41   #5
jeanderson
Toga!... Toga!

Quote:
Is having a loving family an unfair advantage?
This is right up there with the liberals who say 401k plans are unfair because only the people that save money have them.
Old 05-05-2015, 21:44   #6
Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyS View Post
Just when you thought the morons couldn't get any more stupid.
Those MORONS are in charge of Americas children eight hours each school day, those MORONS are ruling the USA, stupid is allowing them to be doing both!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 21:47   #7
btefft
U S Veteran

QUOTE - “Evidence shows that the difference between those who get bedtime stories and those who don’t — the difference in their life chances — is bigger than the difference between those who get elite private schooling and those that don’t,” British academic Adam Swift told ABC presenter Joe Gelonesi

THE ABC has questioned whether parents should read to their children before bedtime, claiming it could give your kids an “unfair advantage” over less fortunate children. END QUOTE

Don't all of us want our kids to succeed. Obviously, there are degrees of success. If my taking to time to read to my kids somehow gives them an advantage over kids whose parents didn't read to them, tough.

Last edited by btefft; 05-05-2015 at 21:50..
btefft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 23:53   #8
akroguy

My wife read to our son every night when he was a baby and played music while he went to sleep (classical and jazz). He's a year ahead in school (he's now 13) and tests at 12th grade level in reading comprehension and vocabulary.

It MATTERS.

Go ahead, lefties...just keep raising stupid kids. It's your legacy. You own it.

The Second Amendment: giving teeth to the remaining 26.
Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
akroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 00:09   #9
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Southern Rogue.

I read to my kid and vice versa.We homeschool for a reason folks.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:36   #10
Deltic

"Evidence shows that the difference between those who get bedtime stories
and those who don’t — the difference in their life chances — is bigger
than the difference between those who get elite private schooling and
those that don’t,” British academic Adam Swift told ABC presenter Joe
Gelonesi.
Swift said parents should be mindful of the advantage provided by
bedtime reading.
“I don’t think parents reading their children bedtime stories should
constantly have in their minds the way that they are unfairly
disadvantaging other people’s children, but I think they should have
that thought occasionally,” he said."

One of the best things my mom ever did for me is teaching me to love books. She introduced me to this.

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliad
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Odyssey
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_L%27Amour
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein
Old 05-06-2015, 04:57   #11
fortyofforty

Quote:
Originally Posted by btefft View Post
Don't all of us want our kids to succeed. Obviously, there are degrees of success. If my taking to time to read to my kids somehow gives them an advantage over kids whose parents didn't read to them, tough.
Nope. Some people have been raised to believe "the man" is holding them back, keeping them down. They believe that nothing they can do for themselves or for their children will have any effect. So, they choose to do nothing, They don't try hard. They don't work hard. They make no effort except that necessary to collect government assistance. That and riot from time to time, about the inherent unfairness of the system. Oh, and they vote Democrat in this country. They expect you and your children to be brought down to their level, just to make things "fair".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
to save animals! Gun Rights are Civil Rights.
fortyofforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:36   #12
callihan_44
INFIDEL

next we'll be hearing having 2 parents in the home is an unfair advantage, especially to the baby mommas toting around 6 kids and no daddy in sight
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:00   #13
Cambo

This is shameful, repugnant, diseased liberalism at it's worst. To make sure no one reads to their kids, these monsters would put your kids in "government" run camps to make sure all kids are treated equally.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:18   #14
JohnnyE

The quote should have been something about parents who do not read to their kids are giving their kids an unfair disadvantage!
JohnnyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:43   #15
Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
This is shameful, repugnant, diseased liberalism at it's worst. To make sure no one reads to their kids, these monsters would put your kids in "government" run camps to make sure all kids are treated equally.
Yes and what exactly are you going to do about it, thats right, nada, not a thing! 99% will never even know about this, or most every other democrat perpetuated insanity, while the few that do, will just sound off in total obscurity, then forget about it, all the while the insanity will just continue to expand itself in literal perpetuity!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:46   #16
jimbo123

Another example of white privilege that must be stamped out.
jimbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:04   #17
janice6

Books are the stepping stones to knowledge and any way children learn to appreciate books and reading is the right thing to do. It is called education.

I worked my damnedest to try to give my kids every advantage they could get while growing up, education is the greatest of them. Why should I not try to make them the best I can. That's called "Being a Parent". It's a responsibility of a parent to equip their children as well as they possibly can to make their lives better.

This article is either the worst attempt at sarcasm or the most blatant piece of BS liberalism I have ever read. Only fools want everybody else to be fools, so they won't feel bad about their own inadequacies.

Screw the people that reject education in all its forms. They will always be followers.

"Control your own destiny or someone else will." – Jack Welch

"True education makes for inequality; the inequality of individuality, the inequality of success, the glorious inequality of talent, of genius; for inequality, not mediocrity, individual superiority, not standardization, is the measure of the progress of the world."" -Felix Schelling (_Pedagogically Speaking_)
C

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.

Last edited by janice6; 05-06-2015 at 11:54..
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:44   #18
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Teacher daughter has many heartbreaking stories about how many parents who have totally abandoned care of their children to the state (as represented by the school district) ...

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:52   #19
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircarver View Post
Teacher daughter has many heartbreaking stories about how many parents who have totally abandoned care of their children to the state (as represented by the school district) ...

I was a teacher. I can confirm her stories.

The first night I did parent-teacher conferences was a real eye opener. The kids who were doing fine had parents come. Not one parent of the kids who were failing came.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:21   #20
btefft
U S Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
I was a teacher. I can confirm her stories.

The first night I did parent-teacher conferences was a real eye opener. The kids who were doing fine had parents come. Not one parent of the kids who were failing came.
Amen to that. I am also a teacher, I attended PTA meetings and saw the exact same thing - parents of high achieving kids showed up and parents of low achievers didn't. I would often contact the parents (many times parent) of the kids having trouble and suggest a conference, and sometimes they would be there and sometimes they wouldn't.

It was the same throughout my 30-year teaching career.

Last edited by btefft; 05-06-2015 at 13:29..
btefft is offline   Reply With Quote