Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-22-2014, 17:15   #1
Acujeff

$25 billion in wasteful Fed spending this year

Sen. Tom Coburn (R., Okla.) released his final Wastebook on Wednesday, and it did not disappoint.

Dr. Coburn, who is retiring after this term, chronicled $25 billion the federal government spent on 100 “silly, unnecessary, and low priority projects,” this year.

“But the real shock and awe may have been the $1 billion price tag the Pentagon paid to destroy $16 billion worth of ammunition, enough to pay a full years’ salary for over 54,000 Army privates.”

Coburn has unearthed $91 billion in government waste since Wastebook began in 2010.

article at:
http://freebeacon.com/issues/tax-dol...on-treadmills/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Get free NRA-ILA legislative and RKBA e-mail alerts:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Acujeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 17:34   #2
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Some of these *******s couldn't get elected if it weren't for some of their pork, I imagine.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 17:39   #3
JBnTX
Texas

The saddest part is that nobody in government cares and nothing will be done to correct the problem.

Every penny should be accounted for and the people involved either fired or jailed.

Last edited by JBnTX; 10-22-2014 at 17:41..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 18:21   #4
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

$25 Billion is a joke not even worth noticing. That's less than a week's worth of social security and Medicare spending.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 19:14   #5
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

"A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you're talking about real money" ....

-Everett Dirksen
They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 19:33   #6
TxGun

We all know the total waste far exceeds a mere $25 billion. Multiply that x several 100.

Coburn is not attempting to chronicle all of it...he's simply pointing out a relatively few specific examples of the more egregious expenses.

Last edited by TxGun; 10-22-2014 at 19:39..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:25   #7
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

When virtually every dime of tax revenue is spent on welfare, how does Coburn delineate between good necessary spending and waste?

Studying endangered slugs in Bolivia seems as worthy as anything else the gov spends on.

Rush Limbaugh
Old 10-23-2014, 10:36   #8
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Nancy Pelosi, in 2013:
Quote:
“The cupboard is bare. There’s no more cuts to make. It’s really important that people understand that.”
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
- Rudyard Kipling, 1919

jeanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:22   #9
HalfHazzard
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
When virtually every dime of tax revenue is spent on welfare, how does Coburn delineate between good necessary spending and waste?

Studying endangered slugs in Bolivia seems as worthy as anything else the gov spends on.

But we could have had an Ebola vaccine by now.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:58   #10
TxGun

Quote:

"Studying endangered slugs in Bolivia seems as worthy as anything else the gov spends on."

OK, so it's all the same to you? Studying endangered slugs in Bolivia is pretty much the same as, IDK, let's say getting paychecks to military members, for example? Or funding research into finding cures for disease? Or even our admittedly wasteful disaster relief processes? What if we spent that slug money on better control of our borders? Probably also wasted, but still...? I'm as critical of government spending and overreach, particularly at the federal level, as anybody on this forum, but even with all the vast inefficiencies and corruption DC brings us, I'm not sure I'd go quite that far.

Coburn is simply shining a light on some of the more ridiculous spending examples. Obviously hoping, likely in vain, that it will make some small difference. Personally, I don't see that as a bad thing. Now granted, he may be, and probably is, guilty of bringing home at least some "pork" that could easily be categorized as "waste".

Last edited by TxGun; 10-23-2014 at 13:11..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 14:18   #11
EOS
Headbanger

Quote:

I have a theory that anytime we see ridiculous spending like that on the books, that's not really what the money is actually going towards. Rather its going to some people's pockets that the public need not know about and endangered slugs and horny monkeys are whats on paper.

Let Freedom Ring With A Shotgun Blast

Last edited by EOS; 10-23-2014 at 14:19..
EOS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 14:40   #12
engineer151515

I say wasteful pork spending should be deducted from Congressional paychecks.

435 + 100 + Joe Biden

$25B / 536 = $46,641,791 each.

Pay up Congress. No personal checks - credit unworthy. Cash, MO, Credit cards if ya got the limits.

Last edited by engineer151515; 10-23-2014 at 14:41..
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 16:22   #13
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGun View Post
"Studying endangered slugs in Bolivia seems as worthy as anything else the gov spends on."

OK, so it's all the same to you? Studying endangered slugs in Bolivia is pretty much the same as, IDK, let's say getting paychecks to military members, for example? Or funding research into finding cures for disease? Or even our admittedly wasteful disaster relief processes? What if we spent that slug money on better control of our borders? Probably also wasted, but still...? I'm as critical of government spending and overreach, particularly at the federal level, as anybody on this forum, but even with all the vast inefficiencies and corruption DC brings us, I'm not sure I'd go quite that far.

Coburn is simply shining a light on some of the more ridiculous spending examples. Obviously hoping, likely in vain, that it will make some small difference. Personally, I don't see that as a bad thing. Now granted, he may be, and probably is, guilty of bringing home at least some "pork" that could easily be categorized as "waste".
What's important to one person is wasteful to another.
Military members are paid with debt. DOD is discretionary.

Medical research is not constitutional.

Welfare consumes virtually all of federal tax revenue. End that and I'll concern myself with Bolivian slugs.

Aside from fulfilling a very limited number of constitutional duties, once they take money from me I really couldn't care less where it goes.

Rush Limbaugh