SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-20-2011, 19:55   #1
GenX

Send a message via Yahoo to GenX
Hardcore user experience with a tablet

Thinking about buying several and with the limited research I've done, steering towards HP touchpad. What are everyone's experience with any tablet.
GenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 20:12   #2
Ragin Cajun

Have used a Kurta with Autocad for over 20 years. Have most of my blocks set up on it and a few misc LSP routines.

I use both it and a 6 function laser mouse.
Old 09-20-2011, 20:51   #3
GenX

Send a message via Yahoo to GenX
That is hardcore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Have used a Kurta with Autocad for over 20 years. Have most of my blocks set up on it and a few misc LSP routines.

GenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 13:41   #4
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
I would first ask what it is that you plan to do with the tablet.

Without defining an intended use, it is hard to comment.
Old 09-22-2011, 20:07   #5
sappy13

look at the Asus transformer. From what iv read and seen its a great one. Especially for the money. They just came out with the Asus eee slider, which is faster and has a built in
keyboard that slides out. I have the touchpad and love it, especially for the 150 I paid. It will be great once they get android on it all the way.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 20:40   #6
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

I really don't understand this "tablet" term...

There's the iPad....and then there are a whole ton of wannabees....

iPad is king. IMO, I've played with Android enough to know that it sucks. It's slow, clunky, and smooth as chunky peanut butter.

iPad has the most apps and has the best user experience overall, IMO.

I got the first iPad very soon after it came out, just as soon as I tested it in the store and confirmed that, yes, I can type on it surprisingly fast. Soon as the second one came out, I lucked out & got one on opening day, gave old one to my lady.

The iPad is a great device, I really like mine a lot for calendar, contacts, my task manager (ToodleDo), reading internet and books, etc.

But it's still very much an awkward third device that I could live without.

It will never have an ethernet port, so it will never replace my laptop, because as an IT guy, I need an ethernet port to setup routers, verify internet connections, etc.

HP could stick an ethernet port on their touchpad & I still wouldn't buy it. I"d rather put the $100 towards ammo.

I've started lugging around an Apple Bluetooth keyboard for use with my iPad, and it is nice, but when I have to do serious typing/notes/emails, it's my laptop or desktop that comes out.

Next person says "post-pc" again, I'm gonna break their iPad over their stupid head.
Old 09-24-2011, 23:52   #7
sappy13

I have never been a huge tablet advocate, mainly due to high costs and limited uses, but I love my touchpad. I'm in IT and know that none of the current ones can replace a true pc, but it's nice to have. Eventually they will though. I think j read that IBM is already making that is targetted towards IT professionals. As far as I know it does not have Ethernet, but i i think at some point they will get smart and include it. I don't touch a pc for anything normally after work, but I browse GT and other sites after work on touchpad. Great for laying in bed. I also use it at client sites when i need to look something up really quick. The touchpad is well worth 100-150 bucks, especially if u are already thinking about picking up a tablet. I have used the iPads and they really don't impress me any more than any other tablet. If anything they are lower on my list since they have the typical apple "I'm superior" markup price.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 00:47   #8
boomhower

The Touchpad is a good choice if you are willing to do some legwork. Stock they are slow as dirt but with some tweaking they are OK but certainly not speedy. When they get an Android port sorted out they will be much better. If you can find one for $100-$150 go for it but I wouldn't pay the $250 they are going for on ebay. You will get no manufacturer support or warranty obviously.

My suggestion is an iPad. Android just isn't there yet. For all intents Android tablets are at version 1.1. Just like Android did on the phone they are improving very fast but lag being Apple. Android on the phone has caught Apple and is very competitive but the tablet has reached that point yet, it will soon but hasn't yet. Now if you have an Android phone and are sticking with the OS I would probably go with it on the tab to save money buying multiple versions of the same app but otherwise I would go with the iPad. Next year should be interesting as Android by then should be damn near on par.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:34   #9
pilsbury

I've had an Android platform tablet an now an iPad. iPad wins hands down.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:25   #10
MySiK26

Send a message via AIM to MySiK26

another vote for Ipad
MySiK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 18:58   #11
BKG-22

I have told many people this over the last 2 years. I have been a electronic geek all my life and won't begin to try to account for the money I have poured down the toilet on technical widgets that were fun for a couple of days and then got pushed to the closet, then to yard sale.

The iPad is the only exception. It is the only Apple product I own (I don't even have an iPod!) and I am far from an Apple "fan-boy". However, I bought the iPad back in March (?) 2009 and I still use it daily. I travel for my job and it is with me every step of the way. It is not a replacement for my notebook, but pretty darn close. I have a RealVNC client installed, an ssh terminal (puTTY like) and a handful of essentials that allow me to navigate networks and transfer files back and forth. It's pretty impressive.

My buddy has a Samsung Galaxy tab (7") and its ok. My iPad flows more smoothly, the interface seems to be much more "mature" than his, and all my apps work. The first time. He has talked to me about this version and that version of Android, Gingerbread this and Honeycomb that, with an Icecream sandwich on the side. I listen to him and think silently to myself that I'm glad I don't have those concerns. My iPad just works and works reliably.

The Android OS's certainly have their place and are here to stay. But for now, I think the iPad/iOS combo still comes out on top.

If you are thinking more for office/commercial use - check this out. Just read it this morning. I was a little surprised:
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...AV10242011STR2

Quote:
6. Tablet needs

Around the world, the top companies realize a need for tablets. Not only do they provide an added level of mobility, but they’re usually secure. For that reason, Apple’s iPad is the obvious choice. Android-based tablets fall short due to poor software functionality and security concerns, and RIM’s BlackBerry PlayBook is too consumer-focused for the average company. The iPad, however, has an ample number of apps and strong security, making it a top choice for the world’s largest companies.

7. Android falls short

In the smartphone space, it might seem odd that the consumer favorite, Android, wouldn’t also be the leader in the enterprise. However, it’s worth noting that Android is an even-more consumer-focused platform than iOS. Furthermore, the operating system suffers from serious security issues—including apps that have been laced with malware—which makes it a non-starter in the corporate world. Until Android becomes more secure, most companies will choose iOS over Google’s operating system.

Last edited by BKG-22; 10-24-2011 at 19:05..
BKG-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 19:10   #12
BKG-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post

I agree, that is funny and brings lots-o-memories. Acad r13 with a Summagraphics tablet. I preferred the puck over the pen. Later moved to a large format Calcomp digitizing table.... errr... HUGE tablet!

Good memories! Went from Acad to PDGS, to SDRC, to CATIA, to Patran/Nastran then out of engineering for the most part. I still fall back on those skills from time to time. Ahh, those were the days - the roaring 90's!

Last edited by BKG-22; 10-24-2011 at 19:19..
BKG-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:07   #13
jasonvp
Lifetime Membership
Kantre Member

Send a message via AIM to jasonvp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX View Post
What are everyone's experience with any tablet.
I had an iPad 2 for about a month and sold it. I tried to like it, I really did. Certainly: playing Angry Birds on it ruled over my iPhone. But as a generic, all-around platform, I hated it. And that's not the iPad's fault, it's the platform's. Apparently I'm not compatible with tablet computing.

I need on-screen multitasking. I need to be able to see many windows doing many things at once. The only time I pay attention to a single thing on my computer screen is when I'm gaming (see: Angry Birds). Any other time, I've got ~10 or so different windows on the screen.

Tabbed browsing? Hate it. Never used it. Every browser instance gets its own window. Tabbed IM sessions? Hate it. Every IM session I have going gets its own window. On and on. This allows me to watch multiple things at once and change my attention as needed.

For that reason, tablet computing and me aren't compatible. And probably won't ever be. If I need portability, I'll grab my Macbook Pro and go.

jas

Last edited by jasonvp; 10-27-2011 at 08:08..
jasonvp is offline   Reply With Quote