SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-20-2011, 22:17   #1
ULVER
Dixie Rebel

Send a message via Yahoo to ULVER

Next Generation Of Cop Cars Good For 150mph.

Some beautiful, fast cars are going to be out there now...

http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Veh...gan-Tests.aspx

Still, they all pale compared to the legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHvXi...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYIJp...eature=related

In memory of Off. Steven Trindle
In memory of Det. Dennis C. Stepnowski
ULVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 22:30   #2
collim1
Shower Time!

Yeah right, I cant even chase for 5 seconds unless it is violent felony.

All a doper has to do is run long enough to put his joint out and I am already back at the station writing a special report before the smoke has cleared out of his car.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 23:25   #3
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Great. Some twenty-five year old kiddo with a badge running 148 to the verbal domestic.
Old 09-20-2011, 23:39   #4
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
Yeah right, I cant even chase for 5 seconds unless it is violent felony.

All a doper has to do is run long enough to put his joint out and I am already back at the station writing a special report before the smoke has cleared out of his car.
What county?

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 23:48   #5
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover

My '09 Charger (I'm told) hits its ignition cutoff at 143.

I've never ever ever been anywhere close to that.

An officer (and friend) in a neighboring town just across the county line chased a motorcyclist thru three counties (including mine) at night on unfamiliar roads at 143-mph.

For speeding.

He's the one who told me about the the Chargers 145-mph ceiling.

I told him I'd piss myself and scream like a seven-year-old girl if I ever tried that for even 30 seconds.
in no particular order.........
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 00:02   #6
CW Mock

I work out in wide open spaces, and I want and need a fast car. Half of the cars on the road anymore or as fast or faster than my overloaded scow. I have been in enough 110-120MPH pursuits to really, really want a car capable of giving me an edge.

Just because my car can go 154, doesn't mean I will be running it up there all the time. I barely ever broke 120 in my Charger - it had enough juice to run violators down without the 5 mile wind-up my current Ford needs.

The problem is not fast, well balanced cars, it's the training and accountability of the operators.
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:41   #7
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

I may or may not have had a 2010 Charger up to 150 flat and still pulling enroute to a shot's fired call at a deputy's residence in the middle of the night on familiar state highway.
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:14   #8
AngryBassets
Jagenden Übel

I find it ironic that this thread is directly under the thread about the pursuit where the cop smashed into a minivan and killed a kid.
Cop Talk
AngryBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:22   #9
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

We've got at least two other active threads going in CT right now about cops either killing other folks or being killed themselves in vehicle accidents. 150 mph capability is just wasted capacity, if you ask me. If I was the chief, I'd being telling the manufacturers "That's cool. Now how much does it cost me to have a governor put on it that limits the top end to 125?"

IMO, the important performance benchmarks for patrol cars are how fast does it get to 90 from a dead stop (to run down speeders doing 85 in a 70), the acceleration time from 35- 60 (going from regular patrol to running code to a priority dispatch on surface streets), and which one has the shortest stopping distance from 35 mph, 70 mph, and 100 mph. Flat out top speed over 125 or so is worthless in the real world.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:36   #10
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Around here, pursuits rarely get above 100 mph. If they do, it's on the interstate and the perp gets lots of breathing room, the pursuing officers are just buying enough time to get someone up ahead to put down stop sticks. In rural areas, the speed serves two purposes- initial pursuit of violators especially if you are stopped stationary running traffic on a multi-lane highway (would take you all damn day to catch a violator running 100+ if your squad car was capable only of 125 mph, and by then you would be in the next county over) and for responding to emergency calls like bad wrecks, officers need assistance, shootings, etc. That's what we use speed for around here.

If you want a neutered police car, and you don't want to chase criminals, fine. I could care less. In this litigious society, you're going to get sued if you crash, or you're going to get sued if you let someone get away that later hurts someone.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:12   #11
A6Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULVER View Post
Still, they all pale compared to the legend.
Around here, we call a car that goes anywhere a rental...
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:37   #12
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Mock View Post
I work out in wide open spaces, and I want and need a fast car. Half of the cars on the road anymore or as fast or faster than my overloaded scow. I have been in enough 110-120MPH pursuits to really, really want a car capable of giving me an edge.

Just because my car can go 154, doesn't mean I will be running it up there all the time. I barely ever broke 120 in my Charger - it had enough juice to run violators down without the 5 mile wind-up my current Ford needs.

The problem is not fast, well balanced cars, it's the training and accountability of the operators.
Stop lying, you know yu want the fast car because the distance between donut shops is so far out where you work.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:44   #13
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadetklapp View Post
If you want a neutered police car, and you don't want to chase criminals, fine. I could care less. In this litigious society, you're going to get sued if you crash, or you're going to get sued if you let someone get away that later hurts someone.
Please provide one example of the bold faced part of your quote happening... ever.

Thank you.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:01   #14
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
Please provide one example of the bold faced part of your quote happening... ever.

Thank you.
Angry much?

Strange coming from someone called Dukeboy...

Cop Talk

And no, I doubt there are any examples. Just saying. I guess we should just call off all high-speed driving, resort to driving Vauxhall Astra diesels like the British, and hope for the best.

Cop Talk

THE FUTURE OF AMERICAN POLICING!!!1111one

Last edited by Kadetklapp; 09-21-2011 at 11:03..
Old 09-21-2011, 11:16   #15
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover

Quote:
I may or may not have had a 2010 Charger up to 150 flat and still pulling enroute to a shot's fired call at a deputy's residence in the middle of the night on familiar state highway.
Gotta say that sounds like a heckuva ride. Whoever really might have done that (not you, of course) probably had some storytellin' afterward!
in no particular order.........
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:59   #16
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Oh baby!

While I'd love to have the ability to do 150, anyone from Michigan can attest that the roads get a little dicey in the triple digits. Still, if it handled well, and the driver wasn't a shmuck, I don't see any reason not to have the fastest possible vehicle out there.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38   #17
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
Oh baby!

While I'd love to have the ability to do 150, anyone from Michigan can attest that the roads get a little dicey in the triple digits...
That doesn't seem to deter even non-fleeing drivers from running 85-90 on any given expressway!
Old 09-21-2011, 13:56   #18
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
That doesn't seem to deter even non-fleeing drivers from running 85-90 on any given expressway!
Point taken. I admit, I do enjoy seeing some idiot fly by me doing some crazy speed and then disabled on the side of the road 5 miles down where a pothole swallowed their car.
Old 09-21-2011, 14:41   #19
dano1427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post

Thank you.
Several years ago, myself and a coworker in another marked car were at a stop light, across from a major tourist hotel. This frantic lady flags us down, and points to a silver Mercedes that just blew out of the hotel's valet area. She's screaming that the Mercedes was her car and some bum jumped in it when she left it running/unattended (for valet service). We both clear our intersection and manage to get directly behind the Merz, as it was stuck in traffic at a red light. The light turns green and we attempt a traffic stop. The Merz takes off. The lady victim saw this as we shut down, and went around the block to take the report, as we have a "No pursuit" policy.

The lady did not understand the no pursuit policy and filed a complaint from my Sgt to Platoon Commander to Capt, to Chief, to the Citizen Complaint Board, to the Mayor, and tried litigation with the City Atty's Office.

It was a headache for a while, but the litigation never went anywhere, neither did any of the complaints. But people can and will try to sue, especially a Gov't agency.

Last edited by dano1427; 09-21-2011 at 14:43.. Reason: Spelling
dano1427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 14:43   #20
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

There are at least a dozen models of cars and motorcycles on the current market that have top speeds that will leave any of these l.e. vehicles standing still.

Stop wasting money on fast cars and spend it on R&D for teleportation.