Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-21-2011, 21:27   #1
jwagess

Hydra-Shok 9mm 135 grain

I just bought a box It says 9mm 135gr Hydra-Shok Low Recoil. I have never seen this load before. Can anyone give me more information? Is It subsonic?
I plan on carrying this in my Gen4 G26 as my second gun.
Old 09-21-2011, 21:46   #2
RedHaze
Handgunner

Listed at 1060 fps. It is subsonic.

Lot of people complain about sub-par accuracy. YMMV

See how it shoots.
Old 12-03-2011, 16:16   #3
tonymctones

I used these (135 low recoil hydra's) at the range today compared to my federal champion 115 fmj they shoot low every time. I prefer hornady 115 ftx. Just bc there is no discernable difference from my carry to practice rounds. I was just afraid they won't get the job done in the colder months.
tonymctones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 19:45   #4
unit1069

I'm currently carrying the Federal 135-grain Tactical Bonded +P listed at the same velocity.

Is this round the Hydra-Shok minus the post in the middle of the bullet? If so, wouldn't the Hydra-Shok rounds be designated +P?

Trying to learn the distinction between these two rounds.
Old 12-04-2011, 21:50   #5
J_P

They just started carrying these at one of my local wal-marts, along with .40sw and .45acp loads. Im not sure how good they are, but i never buy the 25rd boxes IMO they are just a rip off!
J_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 00:01   #6
Tiro Fijo

They're next to worthless IMO. Outdated technology that never really worked, albeit in the .45 ACP. There are FAR better choices today. Walmart is great for meeting toothless trailer park chicks with tatoos but not for defense ammo shopping.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:04   #7
RWM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
They're next to worthless IMO. Outdated technology that never really worked, albeit in the .45 ACP. There are FAR better choices today. Walmart is great for meeting toothless trailer park chicks with tatoos but not for defense ammo shopping.
What's wrong with toothless trailer park chicks with tatoos? What do they have to do with this thread?
RWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:14   #8
dkf

I wouldn't depend it to reliably expand, especially when cloth is involved. There are far better carry rounds for less money IMO.

Last edited by dkf; 12-09-2011 at 09:14..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 20:05   #9
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I wouldn't depend it to reliably expand, especially when cloth is involved. There are far better carry rounds for less money IMO.
I keep reading how outdated the HydraShok ammo is but at gun shops and online ammo dealers it's as costly as the newer JHP self-defense rounds.

Is this because a lot of folks don't keep up with evolving ballistics technology or some other reason?
Old 12-09-2011, 21:23   #10
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I keep reading how outdated the HydraShok ammo is but at gun shops and online ammo dealers it's as costly as the newer JHP self-defense rounds.

Is this because a lot of folks don't keep up with evolving ballistics technology or some other reason?

Name recognition not unlike Kleenex or Charmin. Nothing more.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 21:44   #11
dkf

Quote:
The Hydro-Shock being available primarily in 20rd designer boxes doesn't help the price point a bit. Some of it comes in fancy plastic boxes also.

Federal wants well over $50 for their 125gr Personal Defense ammo and it uses an antiquated bullet. Yet when we can find it we can get .357sig HST with nickel plated cases for $30 per 50. The HST is a no brainer for me anyway. I doubt it costs federal even a fraction of a cent more to produce the HST vs the Hydra Shock.

Quote:
Probably. Like you said a lot of shops have the Hydra Shock sitting on the shelf. Its usually packed in a nice box, has shiny nickel cases, has "personal defense" on it and is up with the top SD rounds pricewise. So it must be good right? If your a noob or don't really pay attention to what currently being used by LE and by civilians I can see how one would buy the Hydra shock.

Last edited by dkf; 12-09-2011 at 21:45..
Old 12-10-2011, 11:35   #12
JK-linux

Last edited by JK-linux; 05-22-2012 at 21:10..
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 17:31   #13
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
If your a noob or don't really pay attention to what currently being used by LE and by civilians I can see how one would buy the Hydra shock.
Everyone is a noob at the beginning and I didn't escape that designation.

When I recognized the need for a self-defense pistol back in 2005 I was gulled into buying PMC Starfire ammo at an inflated price by the gun shop employee who sold me the new pistol. According to him it was "the hottest round you can get". Well, ...

So now everybody knows the shame I've been living with for the intervening years, unable to look people in the eye for fear that they'll discover I didn't know squat about ammo. I'll take my shame to the grave, it's that much of a burden to me.
Old 12-10-2011, 17:37   #14
JK-linux

Last edited by JK-linux; 05-22-2012 at 21:11..
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 17:41   #15
Quarter Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I buy 180 and 165 gr PDX .40 at Wally world

that and $25 box/100 of .40 Federal range ammo

Wally does have its worth, sometimes
Quarter Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 18:04   #16
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Everyone is a noob at the beginning and I didn't escape that designation.

When I recognized the need for a self-defense pistol back in 2005 I was gulled into buying PMC Starfire ammo at an inflated price by the gun shop employee who sold me the new pistol. According to him it was "the hottest round you can get". Well, ...

So now everybody knows the shame I've been living with for the intervening years, unable to look people in the eye for fear that they'll discover I didn't know squat about ammo. I'll take my shame to the grave, it's that much of a burden to me.
Thats one nice thing about the internet and forums, we can learn before we buy and sometimes after. Its to the point you cannot rely on someone at a gun shop to set you up with good ammo even though your should be able to. Often times the customer knows more than salesman at the gun shop. Live and learn.