SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-23-2011, 15:47   #1
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Is this a good deal

My son is thinking about buying one of these, they have 8mb video ram, he does a little lite gaming on his old dell with 2 mb video ram, is this a good deal

I have THREE Dell Latitude D630 for $125.00 ea Shipped to your door in FL, GA

Software: XP Professional loaded SP3, AVG Antivirus.
Hardware: 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 80GB Hard Drive, 2GB RAM, 14" screen, CDRW/DVD ROM, Internal Wireless card, Internal Ethernet adapter, Modem, Power supply.

Tech Talk
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Last edited by Dalton Wayne; 09-23-2011 at 15:51..
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 16:02   #2
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Anyone?
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Old 09-23-2011, 16:52   #3
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Depends on the kind of games we're talking.

It's also limited on hard drive space.

Beyond that, the processor and the RAM seem OK for XP Pro.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 17:22   #4
dusty9

I own a D620 with pretty well the same specs as the ones you are considering. I have also used these Latitude series in my work for some time. They are Dell's corporate workhorse laptops. That is, they are not cutting edge technology, but rather pretty rugged and reliable machines that are comparatively easy to repair and upgrade, if/when repairs or upgrades are ever needed. They will do pretty well whatever a comparably spec'd desktop will do including games. The high end games require more processor and video power. Serious gamers go to some extreme lengths to buy or build high powered (and expensive) machines. The D630 is somewhat outdated by today's standards but it is still an excellent business or student machine. Nothing fancy, just solid and reliable and a good performer with XP. With 2gb of RAM it would also work well with the 32 bit version of Windows 7.
dusty9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 16:46   #5
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Well my son bought one we will see how it turns out but so far it looks like a good laptop
Old 09-24-2011, 17:16   #6
Detectorist

I love those units. For $125.00 they are a steal.

Among the things you can do with that model is take out the CD drive and replace it with an additional Hard Drive or battery. Let me know if you need any help with it. That's one of the computers I used to support for Dell.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Detectorist; 09-24-2011 at 17:18..
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote