Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-23-2011, 21:35   #1
dvrdwn72

help for newbie reloader

I am starting to reload the 40 and would like any suggestions anyone may have. I already have some titegroup powder and Montana gold180 grain cmj's. It will be mostly for my g35 for idpa and Uspsa. Big question is how much grain titegroup for the 180 grin, start at 4.2 and work up to 4.8 grn?
dvrdwn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 21:41   #2
Colorado4Wheel

www.brianenos.com/forums
Old 09-23-2011, 21:43   #3
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

3.3-3.4 TG with a MG 180 will make minor easy, and is arguably the ultimate gamer load. To make major with a 180 and TG you'll be running close to max.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 22:14   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Look in your reloading manual?
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 19:34   #5
dvrdwn72

Thanks,
dvrdwn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 19:38   #6
fredj338

Hmm, noob reloader & a 40. My suggestion, shelf the TG until you have a good understanding of the process, maybe get 1500rds or so under your belt (about 1# of something better). If you want minor loads for the 40, TG will do, but just not the best powder for that cartridge IMO, but then it is JMO. Never ask for loading data, get 2-3 manuals & work up your own loads. It's the only way you learn the correct process. You already made a mistake in taking someones ill advice on TG & the 40 for a noob, don't make it worse.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 09-24-2011 at 19:40..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 22:44   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Hmm, noob reloader & a 40. My suggestion, shelf the TG until you have a good understanding of the process, maybe get 1500rds or so under your belt (about 1# of something better)... You already made a mistake in taking someones ill advice on TG & the 40 for a noob, don't make it worse.
LOL... I was actually gonna say that, but I knew you'd be along..

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 09-25-2011 at 00:19..
Old 09-24-2011, 22:56   #8
hdsteve69

Get the hornaday reloading book and load from that at first then you can play with your load once you get the feel for it. Remember idpa has minimum power floor specs for each class I am assuming you are shooting ssp or esp the minimum power floor for both classes is 125000 . Power floor is calculated by bullet weight x velocity (fps). I have also heard tite group is not that go, I use power pistol and load 9mm and 40 and it seems to work pretty good for both . I havent shot 40 in idpa yet but hopefully I will have another new glock tomorrow in 40 to shoot idpa ,but I shoot a g19 9mm idpa and my loads seem to do well. I have found so far that heavier bullet with a slower speed seems to work well for short distances like you will shoot in idpa.

Last edited by hdsteve69; 09-24-2011 at 23:04..
hdsteve69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:45   #9
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdsteve69 View Post
Get the hornaday reloading book and load from that at first then you can play with your load once you get the feel for it. Remember idpa has minimum power floor specs for each class I am assuming you are shooting ssp or esp the minimum power floor for both classes is 125000 . Power floor is calculated by bullet weight x velocity (fps). I have also heard tite group is not that go, I use power pistol and load 9mm and 40 and it seems to work pretty good for both . I havent shot 40 in idpa yet but hopefully I will have another new glock tomorrow in 40 to shoot idpa ,but I shoot a g19 9mm idpa and my loads seem to do well. I have found so far that heavier bullet with a slower speed seems to work well for short distances like you will shoot in idpa.
TG would/does actually work for minor in the 40, but still not a good choice for the noob reloader, especailly in small volumn/high pressure rounds like the 40 & pushing heavy for caliber bullets. Where guys really get into trouble is using such powders in 40 major. Yes you can get there, but with zero room to spare. There are several better choices for either IMO, but again, JMO.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 09-25-2011 at 01:45..
Old 09-25-2011, 07:47   #10
Colorado4Wheel

Nothing wrong with TG. Especially for 40 Minor.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:49   #11
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Reloading
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:05   #12
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Gunpowder and women have something in common, there should only be one kind of each... UNIQUE and HOOKERS.

Of course my opinion might be a bit biased... gunpowder has never taken me to court.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:38   #13
kasper7106

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Look in your reloading manual?

that's incredible, you mean all he had to do is look in his manual for advise. I guess we can get rid of the reloading section in this forum then.
kasper7106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:26   #14
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper7106 View Post
that's incredible, you mean all he had to do is look in his manual for advise. I guess we can get rid of the reloading section in this forum then.
Obviously, you don't get satire very well.

Getting load data from random people on the internet is bad practice. I'm not saying Steve (or anyone else) gave bad info, but you should gather info from your own sources, or at the very least, verify what you have been told.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:55   #15
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper7106 View Post
The reloading forum isn't for the lazy reloader looking for instant gratification. Nothing beats doing the work yourself so you can understand the process. The forum is about sharing ideas & techniques, what works well & what doesn't. No one should be getting load data from any forum. Yes, we have all given some out, but really, reading still has value, get 2-3 good manuals & read them.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:50   #16
kasper7106

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The reloading forum isn't for the lazy reloader looking for instant gratification. Nothing beats doing the work yourself so you can understand the process. The forum is about sharing ideas & techniques, what works well & what doesn't. No one should be getting load data from any forum. Yes, we have all given some out, but really, reading still has value, get 2-3 good manuals & read them.

you may be right about the lazy reloader thing but I counted 3 post's that were advising not to use titegroup for his application. I havent seen a manual that says not to use titegroup for 40s&w if you are a newb. so just checking your manual wont always give the answer your looking for

Last edited by kasper7106; 09-25-2011 at 15:05..
kasper7106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 17:35   #17
Colorado4Wheel

I knew this was going to turn into this so I gave you the link to a place that isn't going to tell you to not use TG. To me if your actually looking in every case it doesn't mater that TG has low bulk. But around here a vocal few really hate Titegroup.
Old 09-25-2011, 18:19   #18
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I knew this was going to turn into this so I gave you the link to a place that isn't going to tell you to not use TG. To me if your actually looking in every case it doesn't mater that TG has low bulk. But around here a vocal few really hate Titegroup.
A very few, the smarter reloaders.
Quote:
you may be right about the lazy reloader thing but I counted 3 post's that were advising not to use titegroup for his application. I havent seen a manual that says not to use titegroup for 40s&w if you are a newb. so just checking your manual wont always give the answer your looking for
That is the issue, his "applicatoin" isn't clearly defined. IDPA, probably shooting minor & TG works, but again there are better choices. For USPSA major, TG is a KB waiting to happen as it has to be pushed very hard to get there w/ no room at the top for any type of error. So while the forums are great for discussing techniques, do & don'ts, trusting loading data is suspect. Do your own research w/ several manuals & the manuf site & it's easily seen there are better choices for diff applications. Most of the time, it's a noob reloader coming online to find out what data he should use for this or that powder. The mistake was already made buying a powder w/o doing the homework first to better match the potential load to the application.

Last edited by fredj338; 09-25-2011 at 18:24..