Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-25-2011, 13:05   #1
method

Anyone get a deer this weekend?

Not sure about other places, but Ohio's archery season opened Saturday morning. I hunted some friends' land for about 3 hours, in a light rain. Saw a doe with a fawn as I pulled into their driveway. Got there about 30 minutes later than I should have, got there about 7:20. Had a doe come up behind a little stand of trees I was tucked into, 15 feet from me, but she never came close to my shooting lane.

Gotta get some school work cleared, and hopefully I'll be able to go up an evening or two this week. Anyone else have any luck?
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 13:17   #2
Two_Clicks

I didn't go out, I usually wait for a couple weeks for the weather to cool down a bit more. None of my buddies that did go out shot anything but did see a few
Two_Clicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 17:14   #3
noway

1st weekend out for me, still to hot, to many t-storms, no animals seen outside of squirrels, and than too many dammm mosquitoes.

FWIW: Our archery season has been going for about 1 month in some parts of the state.

I'm lookong forwards to regular general gun, temps should be in the His of 70-80 and no high humidity.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:20   #4
RRTX11

Our season isn't open yet. Lots of deer scavaging for food though. Young bucks are still in bachelor groups. Haven't seen any mature bucks. Lots of does, including single and twin fawns. Today it is going to be 104 degrees, so only seeing deer on game cameras late at night.
RRTX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 14:24   #5
method

It's been too warm and wet here too, it's 70 degrees right now. Started to head to my spot this morning, but it started raining very very heavily, and I turned around before too long. Really tempted to go tonight to at least just see and watch some deer, but I have a paper due at midnight.

Last edited by method; 09-26-2011 at 14:25..
Old 09-27-2011, 19:38   #6
RRTX11

I have had atleast 50-100 pictures of deer a night until last night. Not a single pic. Very strange.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:04   #7
Michigun
Miss Michigan?

Send a message via AIM to Michigun Send a message via Yahoo to Michigun

Michigan had a special youth whitetail firearm hunt this past weekend... I took out my girlfriend's 13-year-old son for the Saturday evening hunt… we got out about 3 hours before dark & there were already % does & 2 bucks in the field… we snuck into our spot & ended up seeing 9 bucks total & 20+ does!

He ended up missing a VERY nice 8~10 pointer just before dark… he just got too nervous. Poor kid.
Old 10-04-2011, 21:12   #8
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Does Monday count? Got this gorgeous fellow in a friend's backyard. Stopped by after work just for grins and about 4 of them were bedded down amongst the trees 20 feet (not yards) from their house. I was wearing complete business attire, button down shirt, leather shoes, hell I still had my ID badge on. Calmly walked back to the car, got my bow, crouched down on the patio and when they all stood up finally wondering wtf this yabo was up to I let the arrow go. They all bolt and then I hear the beautiful music: crunch, crunch... CRASH. Elapsed time: 5 seconds. Perfect double-lung.

Yes, probably the fastest and luckiest hunting trip I'll ever experience. Very thankful.

-Stooxie
Attached Thumbnails
Hunting, Fishing & Camping - Click for larger version  
Old 10-04-2011, 21:29   #9
solvability

No Deer yet here, but I got a fine eating hog.
solvability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 23:02   #10
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
Does Monday count? Got this gorgeous fellow in a friend's backyard. Stopped by after work just for grins and about 4 of them were bedded down amongst the trees 20 feet (not yards) from their house. I was wearing complete business attire, button down shirt, leather shoes, hell I still had my ID badge on. Calmly walked back to the car, got my bow, crouched down on the patio and when they all stood up finally wondering wtf this yabo was up to I let the arrow go. They all bolt and then I hear the beautiful music: crunch, crunch... CRASH. Elapsed time: 5 seconds. Perfect double-lung.

Yes, probably the fastest and luckiest hunting trip I'll ever experience. Very thankful.

-Stooxie
Nice shot on a good looking buck, Stooxie. But the picture I want to see is of you field dressing that guy in your complete business attire.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 23:38   #11
B.Reid

I went out this evening, saw a couple but didn't get a shot.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42   #12
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
Nice shot on a good looking buck, Stooxie. But the picture I want to see is of you field dressing that guy in your complete business attire.
I called the wife and asked her to bring me a change of clothes. This was about 15 mins from my house.

-Stooxie
Old 10-05-2011, 08:06   #13
DEPUTY346
Deputy Sheriff

I did

The deer are starting to rut here in Pennsylvania. My dad shot his 8 pointer while it was chasing does.

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

Last edited by DEPUTY346; 10-05-2011 at 08:09..
DEPUTY346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:26   #14
g36user

I've seen a good handful and passed on a doe w/a fawn. Looking forward to the next couple of weeks...hopefully start cooling down some.

Great shot in business attire. Maybe the bow is mighter than the pen.

Regards,

g36user
Old 10-10-2011, 09:59   #15
RRTX11

Watched a very nice Buck chasing a doe and fawn. Buck had head down and was definately after somethin. Highly unusual first week of October in Central Texas. Will be a strange year considering we are 27 inches behind in rainfall for the year, and had the hottest year in the last 100.
Old 10-10-2011, 22:14   #16
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPUTY346 View Post
The deer are starting to rut here in Pennsylvania. My dad shot his 8 pointer while it was chasing does.

Nice deer. I've only managed to get out a couple times now. No shots but I'm seeing deer, so I'm feeling good about it.

Having a get together at the friends' place where I hunt this weekend. I'll be up there Friday and spending the night, so I'll get some hunting in. Need some fresh venison for the party.
Old 10-11-2011, 15:31   #17
Metro566
Gunfighter

Been way too warm where I am. Gun opener hasn't started yet...I believe bow has though. My GF is an avid TradBow hunter...but you have to throw on some deep woods deet instead of doe piss in this weather
Metro566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 18:38   #18
method

Sunday morning I was sitting in a small clump of trees where I'd prepped a spot to shoot from, overlooking the 10 acre bean field my friends have. Heard a stomp to my left, and turned my head to find a very nice buck staring at me 60 or 70 yards away. Saw his head framed against the sky..his main beams go a bit past his ears, and his rack is quite tall. Not huge but very respectable. He'll really be something else if he makes it another couple years.

He was way out of range, and completely on to me, but I still got short of breath and a racing heart. After another few seconds and a couple of steps, he decided I was no good, and wheeled around and bounded off.

Rut's starting here soon. Found another good spot on this property later on that morning with a rub and a nice tree to get up into. Went back later with friends while on a walk, and the place reeked of deer urine. I'ma get me some deer meat dammit.
Old 10-17-2011, 19:33   #19
B.Reid

Got my first bow kill last Friday. Spot and stalk Montana style. Mule deer doe.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 21:38   #20
method

Nice deer. Good to see someone smiling in their hunting pics.