Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:05   #1
NkySpike

Here is my 20 gauge Remington 870 Express Synthetic 7-Rd.

I bought the 20 ga for home defence with my daughter in mind... I was afraid a 12 ga would kick to much for her, even with the Blackhawk Knoxx adjustable shotgun stock... Plus, I still wanted something tactical looking for myself...

So I got Remington 870 Express Synthetic 7-Round in a 20 gauge, it also comes in a 12 gauge as well...

Here the funny part, the only thing I did at first was change out the factory synthetic stock for the Blackhawk Knoxx stock.
Then I told her to see how different it felt with the new stock... She told me, the gun is to heavy for her to hold ?!?!! I do have to agree with on that, the weight is now shifted to the back of the gun, because of the Blackhawk Knoxx stock...

Tactical Shotguns

So here is a list of my add on's that make up my "Tactical 20"...

I have added:
*Blackhawk Knoxx SpecialOps Adjustable Shotgun Stock, 20 gauge.
*BLACKHAWK! Knoxx SpecOps PowerPak Modular Cheek Piece.
*Hogue Handall Universal Slip-On Grip Sleeve.
*Remington 870 20 Gauge Mount Dovetail Rail Black Satin.
*TruGlo Multi-Reticle Dual Color Red/Green Open Red Dot Sight.
*Mako 3-Rail Forend Remington 870 Polymer Black.
*Mako GMG Tactical Vertical Forend Grip AR-15 Polymer.
*Mesa Tactical Receiver Mount Sling Adapter Loop Style Remington 870.
*MidwayUSA Tactical Single Point Sling Nylon Bungee.
*Mesa Tactical Sureshell Shotshell Ammunition Carrier 20-Gauge Remington 870.
*Streamlight TLR-1S Tactical Illuminator Flashlight.

Tactical Shotguns

If I had to do it again, would I ?

" NO ", to much of a pain in the *** to find parts for a 20 Gauge. If you do, they are 12 ga parts with shims to fit a 20 ga.

Gen4 G19
Gen4 G27

Last edited by NkySpike; 09-26-2011 at 03:37..
NkySpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:55   #2
aippi

Never put a vertical forend on a pump shotgun. We all tend to torque the forend some when we rack it back. That vertical forend acts as a lever and increases this torque and you are twisting the action bars. Soon you are going to notice the action is not as smooth and that is because the action bars are starting to bind in the receiver. They are going to be damaged beyond repair and if this weapon is going to see any kind of use then you will be buying a new forend tube assembly often and that is a $40 part, however you are also damaging the channels inside your receiver and that can not be repaired. Your are damaging this weapon.

In my opinion you took a perfectly fine Shotgun and turned it in to a useless Tacti-fool hunk of junk and of course you made it to heavy for her. I would find someone who wants that mess and take it off that weapon so she can enjoy shooting again.

Forgive my lack of tact but you posted this mess and that gives us the right to jump in and comment. I hope she want to continue shooting with you and you find a compromize in a weapon you both can enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:48   #3
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

I feel queasy.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:16   #4
NkySpike

Thanks aippi, for the info on the vertical grip. After I put it on I really never felt comfortable with it.

This was my first attempt to make two different people happy, that didn't turn out great. As for the red dot, that was setup for rifiled slugs ( outside of course ).

Gen4 G19
Gen4 G27
NkySpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:32   #5
DHSGMAN
Combat Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NkySpike View Post
Thanks aippi, for the info on the vertical grip. After I put it on I really never felt comfortable with it.

This was my first attempt to make two different people happy, that didn't turn out great. As for the red dot, that was setup for rifiled slugs ( outside of course ).

Return it to factory config, sell off the extra's. WIN
TACTICAL SHOTGUN CLUB #930
BLACK RIFLE CLUB #O815
KALASHNIKOV KLUB #0831
DHSGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:44   #6
Z71bill

Don't LOL -

I almost bought one for my wife -

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/62787

We were at a LGS - shopping for a Walther PK380 - and the gun store guy said to me -

Don't laugh - then he handed my wife the Rossi circuit judge.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:52   #7
aippi

I understand completely. Problem is what makes us happy may not make them happy. My Daughter loved shooting my shotguns and loved a friends AK (which I hate) She refused to shoot the handguns after a time and broke Dads Heart so I bought her an AR. She qualified Expert in the Marine Corps, so I guess the AR I bought her paid off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 09-26-2011, 12:52   #8
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

Get rid of evertyhing but the side saddle and the stock the red dot is unnecessary. That bead is fine. If she can line up behind the barrle and pull the trigger she will hit waht she is aiming at in a house.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:31   #9
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
Get rid of evertyhing but the side saddle and the stock the red dot is unnecessary. That bead is fine. If she can line up behind the barrle and pull the trigger she will hit waht she is aiming at in a house.
What he said. Keep it simple and light. I think the 20 guage is great for HD. I have a Mossberg 20 gauge that came with a pistol grip. Removed that and put a pistol grip stock combo on it. Feels great and it doesn't get taken off target when jacking the next round into the pipe..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:16   #10
byf43
NRA Life Member

OP:

A couple of years ago, I bought an 870 Express 12 ga for my daughter, when she bought her first house.

I could not find a synthetic stocked 870, so, I bought one with the hardwood furniture and put synthetic on it.
I also removed the 26" RemChoke barrel, and put an 18-1/2" IC choked barrel on it. (I kept the 26" barrel. It's going to be used with another 870 Express that I won. It has a rifled slug barrel on it, now.)

I then added an extended magazine tube, side-saddle and Knoxx Spec-Ops stock.

After taking my daughter and her new shotgun to the range, we determined together, that this set-up is too heavy for her.

So, I removed the extended mag tube and the side-saddle, and put the Knoxx "PowerPak" on the buttstock, to hold additional rounds.

This seems to be the perfect set-up for my daughter.
The weight is toward the rear, and with a full magazine tube, and the shotgun on "Cruiser Safe" (full mag tube - empty chamber, with bolt 'unlocked'), she now has a decent quantity of 00B available to fend off most attackers.

We've also rehearsed and practiced that she will stay in her 'nest', in the bedroom IF and when she needs to defend.

Note: Using #7-1/2 shot (to begin with), to #6, to #4, to #4B, to 00B, to Slugs, my daughter exclaimed that she 'LOVED' her new scattergun.
Also note, until she fired this one, she had never fired a shotgun!!

The Knoxx SpecOps stock works as advertised.

Minus the PowerPak, here's what my daughter's 870 looks like.:

Tactical Shotguns

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 09-27-2011 at 08:19..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:44   #11
WoodenPlank
Who?

My thoughts:
Ditch everything but the Knoxx stock(toss the riser), and replace the Mesa saddle carrier with a standard Mesa side-mount carrier, so you can go back to using just the bead sight. With the standard fore-end, Knoxx Stock(WITHOUT the cheek rest), and a lower profile Mesa shell carrier, you'd have a much lighter, simpler shotgun for your daughter, and you wouldn't be giving up anything in lethality.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 17:47   #12
jeremy stanke

Send a message via AIM to jeremy stanke
aippi- what are your thoughts on using a AFG? like this?
Tactical Shotguns
my 20 gauge that was built on a standard weight frame so i can use 12 gauge accessories
jeremy stanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 17:51   #13
msoprano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy stanke View Post
aippi- what are your thoughts on using a AFG? like this?
Tactical Shotguns
my 20 gauge that was built on a standard weight frame so i can use 12 gauge accessories
I like.
msoprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 19:10   #14
kasper7106

I have the same 870 20ga and the only thing I did to it was put on one of those ATI adjustable stocks so my 5'2" wife could also feel comfortable shooting it
kasper7106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 19:42   #15
aippi

Not as bad as the vertical broom stick type handle but you have to be aware and consentrate on rack directly to the rear. I would not put that type of forend on my personal weapons as I know I don't rack straight back. I see no benifit to one of those that would off set the damage I would do over time due to the way I rack my weapons. Each shooter is going to be different and I can pull your forend tube assembly, look at the amount of and where the wear is locate on it and then look at your action bars and tell you to which side you torque and how much.

Some guys rack a pump back so perfect their tubes look new except for the 12,3, 6 and 9:00 O'clock stritations from the guide detents on the tube assembly. These guys have it down and as shoot pumps as fast as the rest of us shoot semi-autos but I would think any type of forend extending below the normal line of the stock type forend would slow them down.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 09-29-2011, 18:38   #16
Patchman
Florist

Never thought about the action bars being torqued as part of the pumping sequence.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 21:15   #17
CrackerKen

As for me, I wouldn't do ANY of the mods or additions - None. I would take it out of the box, clean it, test fire it, load it up, and put it in the corner of the room on "standby."
FL Glockers #442
CrackerKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:10   #18
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerKen View Post
As for me, I wouldn't do ANY of the mods or additions - None. I would take it out of the box, clean it, test fire it, load it up, and put it in the corner of the room on "standby."
Agreed. This is perfectly serviceable and follows K.I.S.S. principle. A tac light maybe.

Tactical Shotguns

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-05-2011 at 12:10..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 13:34   #19
FH Alum

Quote:
Don't LOL -

I almost bought one for my wife -

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/62787

We were at a LGS - shopping for a Walther PK380 - and the gun store guy said to me -

Don't laugh - then he handed my wife the Rossi circuit judge.
NOT Laughing at all. I think those are really cool and could have a real purpose. Think about it for a second. The .410 has the same velocity as a 12 just holds less shot. The lower mass of the projectile produces the lighter re-coil not the velocity. The .410 is an underrated round and is still one of my favorites when in the desert SW.

Since this is a tactical forum this weapon holds promise for such a purpose. Stoked with "00" you are getting more than enough power for social purposes. As good as a 12? Heck no but still plenty of snort. The .410 is very comfortable and the lower recoil is useful for folks who physically can't handle the power of a 12. The smaller frame, size and weight of the typical .410 is easier to handle as well for those with upper body strength issues.

The double action is very quick, reliable and having 6? (or is it 5?) rounds on tap as fast as you can pull the trigger is nothing to snot at. No low recoil or load issues like a semi and no worries about short stroking a pump. The swing out cylinder can be reloaded VERY fast with practice. My guess is that there is even a speed loader out there somewhere. Bonus is the new combo loads for the .410 that on paper are just plain nasty.

This thing can also shoot .45 Colt. Hot loads in the .45 are nothing to dismiss either and should be better than a shotgun slug at range.

So, you have a rapid fire, idiot proof-think learning curve on revolver, low recoil, quickly reloaded, handy-thing is pretty short and nimble, powerful (compared to other platforms), weapon with sights that can launch multiple types of rounds and be used by those that might have issues with a 12.

It also looks cool! The Judge handgun is a joke, this thing is a tool and an absolute nightmare for jackrabbits and snakes.

Damn...I may have just convinced myself to buy one. Sigh..wife is going to shoot me.
FH Alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 13:46   #20
sciolist

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Ron1 View Post
I feel queasy.
LOL at comment/avatar.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote