Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:49   #1
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

World Population To Hit 7 Billion!

World Population Expected To Hit 7 Billion On Halloween

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_979191.html

Sounds like the only thing that will lower these numbers is a global war or a major global disaster.

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 09-25-2011 at 06:52..
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28   #2
bdcochran

wow

Yet we still have people stating that when shtf, they will bug out with a pack.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:39   #3
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
World Population Expected To Hit 7 Billion On Halloween

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_979191.html

Sounds like the only thing that will lower these numbers is a global war or a major global disaster.
Check out the deaths from the Spanish Flu and WWII - they were just speed bumps.

The world population is going to 10B by about 2050.

All types of problems will arise from that.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:41   #4
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Gayness. It's the new population control.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:46   #5
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Were going to breed our self's into extinction or at least very hard times, and yes we are just as guilty, everyone thinks they gotta have two to four or more kids, hard times are a coming I tell ya
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:55   #6
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Ivote for global ww111
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:02   #7
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
Were going to breed our self's into extinction or at least very hard times, and yes we are just as guilty, everyone thinks they gotta have two to four or more kids, hard times are a coming I tell ya
Who's we? Birthrates are low for the people that matter. Us Americans.

Kill yourselves now and beat the rush.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:32   #8
pugman

People have been trying to come up with a “how many people could live on earth” for centuries when they really should concentrate on how many people should. Anton van Leeuwenhook (1673-1723) estimated the earth could support just over 13 billion; very insightful considering most modern scientists believe the sustainable number is around 12 billion.

What is even scarier is where the increases in population are occurring. For the most part it doesn’t really matter whose numbers you use (United Nations, World Bank, etc) but for consistancy sake I will use the United Nations. For simplicity I’ve only added the high and low growth rates. These are also only from 2005-2010.

Top 20 highest growth rate countries

Liberia (4.5%), Burundi, Afghanistan, Western Sahara, East Timor, Niger, Eritrea, Uganda, DR Congo, Palestinian territories, Jordan, Mali, Benin, Guinea-Bissau, Yemen, Somalia, Burkina Faso, Chad, United Arab Emirates, Angola (2.78%)

Notice anything? You don’t see a lot of first world countries in there. How many of those are Muslim?

You had to go all the way down to #69 Ireland before you hit a country not in Africa, South America or the Middle east.

An interesting American monument called the Georgia Guidestones believes we should maintain a population of no more than 500 million (http://www.radioliberty.com/stones.htm).

Although I don’t agree with it, some of their principles make sense if you want to control population including a single world government and single language. I do agree with principle #7 (Avoid petty laws and useless officials).

Then you will run into all the people who tell you procreation is a right. I won’t go down this path except to mention it.

You also need to include quality of life. The earth could support a LOT more people than 7 billion if you 1) managed calorie intake...think of all the fat people at McDonalds on a daily intake of what they eat in a single meal at McDonalds 2) simplified diets 3) cultivated all the available land on earth.

Some estimates put the number at 33 billion; but these are 33 billion people whose sole job would be to feed each other and deal with basic human needs.

If it hits 10 billion by 2050 I would/will be very potentially alive (I’m 41 now). Not sure I even want to see it.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:30   #9
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
3) cultivated all the available land on earth.

I believe the amount of people we can sustain is roughly half the amount here now.

The reason why more are here is due to the artificial framework of oil and fossil fuels.

I won't get into a debate on peak oil, and I certainly never bought into the global warming nonsense.

Its like this: Without petroleum based fertilizers and pesticides, and the ability to transport food to market and power to pump massive volumes of water to where it isn't, half the current population would starve to death.

Fuel to till and prep
fuel to plant and sew
fuel to harvest
fuel to process
fuel to get to market
fuel to make fertilizer
fuel to keep bugs from destroying your crop.

Whoever controls oil, controls food.

Our midwest is also running out of what else is needed. Some say the aquifer under it is drying up.

In the next 50-100 years, something REALLY ugly is gonna happen and I don't want to be here to see it.

You could not stock enough canned goods to outlast it either.

Last edited by G29Reload; 09-25-2011 at 11:32..
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:20   #10
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
I believe the amount of people we can sustain is roughly half the amount here now.

The reason why more are here is due to the artificial framework of oil and fossil fuels.

I won't get into a debate on peak oil, and I certainly never bought into the global warming nonsense.

Its like this: Without petroleum based fertilizers and pesticides, and the ability to transport food to market and power to pump massive volumes of water to where it isn't, half the current population would starve to death.

Fuel to till and prep
fuel to plant and sew
fuel to harvest
fuel to process
fuel to get to market
fuel to make fertilizer
fuel to keep bugs from destroying your crop.

Whoever controls oil, controls food.

Our midwest is also running out of what else is needed. Some say the aquifer under it is drying up.

In the next 50-100 years, something REALLY ugly is gonna happen and I don't want to be here to see it.

You could not stock enough canned goods to outlast it either.
The X factor in all this is technology. I am no scientist but whether peak oil is real or not the simple fact is oil is eventually going to dry up. 20, or 50 or 100 years from now it will be gone.

As for global warming I can't say anything for sure. However, I can say with 100% certainity the weather pattern in my AO has definitely changed. 25 Years ago when I hunted we had snow on the ground...sometimes 1-2' by Thanksgiving. Now? We might get a dusting. We haven't had a significant snow fall in Southern Wisconsin before 12/1 in a very long time. Heck, three Christmas's ago people were playing golf on Christmas Eve as I drove home from work.

As I type this, we have an absolute downpour hitting us. We most certainly will break a record for rain today.

As for cultivating land...I believe this estimate included human labor.

Could this planet sustain 33 billion lives long term...absolutely not.

Last edited by pugman; 09-25-2011 at 12:24..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:28   #11
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
The X factor in all this is technology.
Tech powered by oil.

Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff. I can't estimate when we'd ever run out of the stuff. It could go on for a couple centuries more. We might not be here to see its end.

The truth is, the explosive, locomotive, BTU capacity in a gallon of gasoline is almost indistinguishable from magic. Even diesel, with its heavy lifting power.

Black gold.

AND...the other things you can do with it. biopharma, paints, plastics, fertilizers, pesticides...almost endless.

Last edited by G29Reload; 09-25-2011 at 12:29..
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 15:32   #12
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
Yet we still have people stating that when shtf, they will bug out with a pack.
Well you definitely wouldn't want to bug out to India or China.

Quote:
That's only because in many cases it's being subsidized. Stop that and it'll correct itself.
Old 09-25-2011, 15:55   #13
Aceman

Here is the question: Why do birthrates go up in impoverished areas? This seems contrary to reason. Less resources for more. That's not what it's all about.

High birth rate groups - no matter where or who, tend to stem from one thing: Need for survival.

If there is a 50% that your child won't make it because of low resource, you might think why have any? Or having one is your best bet. Not so.

What are the odds of AT least one child making it?
1 child = .5
2 children = .75
3 children = 1.38 or so....meaning 100% AT LEAST ONE will survive!
(or something like that)

and that's what DNA is all about no matter what you think or say.

The less likely survival, the more kids you'll have. Now take a look at that list of locations.

Last edited by Aceman; 09-25-2011 at 15:55..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 16:13   #14
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

It's self evident.In the US anyway.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 16:22   #15
cowboy1964

Nature will seek balance eventually, one way or the other. OTOH, human technology tends to counteract nature. What was the average life span 200 years ago, for example?

If we can provide enough water, food, and energy, there is basically no upper limit to things.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 09-25-2011 at 16:22..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 20:08   #16
wjv

Need more ammo. . . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:25   #17
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Heres some fuel for thought! Instead of sending BILLIONS of dollars in aid to these African third world countries, maybe we should teach them birth control and send crates of condoms. I think in a lot of cases the U.S. government is too quick to send our hard earned tax dollars and be enableing their behavior. Then! When our own citizens need help during diasters FEMA suddenly is short money. Well I say take care of our own population first!

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 09-26-2011 at 06:34..
Old 09-26-2011, 06:38   #18
Vic777

Quote:
Ivote for global ww111
I doubt we will ever make it to ww111.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:41   #19
Vic777

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
Heres some fuel for thought! Instead of sending BILLIONS of dollars in aid to these African third world countries,
How else can Politicians launder tax money and stick it in their own Swiss Bank Accounts?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:54   #20
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic777 View Post
How else can Politicians launder tax money and stick it in their own Swiss Bank Accounts?

I here ya!