Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 02:38   #1
jprj
Senior Member
 
jprj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Philippines
Posts: 719
Send a message via Yahoo to jprj


Retirement age for servers

This may vary depending on so many factors... but what about you? What do you use as basis and what becomes your retiring age for your servers? For unix based and for windows based...
jprj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:06   #2
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out
 
HerrGlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 64,496


I'm just now replacing my Ultra 2 servers. I got them about 1995ish.

WIN servers? Not likely.
__________________
Sent from my rotary phone
"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a banjo!"- Linus Van Pelt
UNIX - Not just for Vestal Virgins any more
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11   #3
tous
GET A ROPE!
 
tous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Plano, Texas, Republic of
Posts: 39,189
I generally assume a five-year life for front-line servers. At that point, they get replaced and cycled into less resource-intensive domain roles or into a lab. At that point the maintenance costs more than the device is worth.

I still have PE 2600 and PE 2800 servers still being useful, but they are off maintenance and if they break, they're spare parts.
__________________
casing: what sausage goes in
case: what bullets go in

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law
tous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:30   #4
wct097
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: VA
Posts: 2,371
We pretty much replace them when they go out of warranty. Sometimes we pay to extend the warranty if it's just too much of a hassle. I have a couple PE2650's in my basement that we decommissioned. I use them for toying with Linux, but they suck too much power to keep on all the time. I think I figured they were $25-30 a month additional on my electric bill.
__________________
-wct097
wct097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 13:45   #5
Linux3
Senior Member
 
Linux3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,399
If you buy a Solaris server from Sun, well Oracle it's built to last. I think the same can be said for most Unix servers, IBM, HP whatever. They are usually large and very redundant. You don't buy one of these systems based on price. That's the key. You buy these servers to run a specific OS and or application.

Usually Win servers, like from Dell and such, are price sensitive and thus made from cheaper parts. Plus if you are going to have to upgrade the O.S. every 3 ~ 5 years you might as well replace the hardware.

I have a mail and backup DNS server running Red Hat 6.1 and it's been up since 1997.

Clearcase and license server is a Sun from around 1995.

Main DNS, NIS and NFS is a kind of new Sun running Solaris 9 and I think I bought it in 2007 and it shows no signs of needing to be retired.

I think you CAN get quality MS servers but people usually don't.
__________________
It it's not on fire,
It's a software problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:29   #6
tous
GET A ROPE!
 
tous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Plano, Texas, Republic of
Posts: 39,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
If you buy a Solaris server from Sun, well Oracle it's built to last. I think the same can be said for most Unix servers, IBM, HP whatever. They are usually large and very redundant. You don't buy one of these systems based on price. That's the key. You buy these servers to run a specific OS and or application.

Usually Win servers, like from Dell and such, are price sensitive and thus made from cheaper parts. Plus if you are going to have to upgrade the O.S. every 3 ~ 5 years you might as well replace the hardware.

I have a mail and backup DNS server running Red Hat 6.1 and it's been up since 1997.

Clearcase and license server is a Sun from around 1995.

Main DNS, NIS and NFS is a kind of new Sun running Solaris 9 and I think I bought it in 2007 and it shows no signs of needing to be retired.

I think you CAN get quality MS servers but people usually don't.
So, if I Linux on a Proliant, it lasts 50 years, but if install Windows Server it suddenly becomes cheaply made and won't last 3 years?
__________________
casing: what sausage goes in
case: what bullets go in

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law
tous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:47   #7
Linux3
Senior Member
 
Linux3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by tous View Post
So, if I Linux on a Proliant, it lasts 50 years, but if install Windows Server it suddenly becomes cheaply made and won't last 3 years?
That is not what I said at all.
Read it again. Especially the last line.
__________________
It it's not on fire,
It's a software problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:10   #8
tous
GET A ROPE!
 
tous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Plano, Texas, Republic of
Posts: 39,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
That is not what I said at all.
Read it again. Especially the last line.
I read it completely, amigo.

You think I can get quality Windows servers?

Though they serve me well and reliably, I shall remove my three racks of DELL servers immediately and replace them all with Solaris servers from 1997.
__________________
casing: what sausage goes in
case: what bullets go in

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law
tous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:26   #9
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out
 
HerrGlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 64,496


Hmmm, I'm wondering if I should preemptively replace my SparcStation IPX that's my primary time server for the network. It's from 1992. Still works great, though.
__________________
Sent from my rotary phone
"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a banjo!"- Linus Van Pelt
UNIX - Not just for Vestal Virgins any more
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:34   #10
wct097
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: VA
Posts: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
Hmmm, I'm wondering if I should preemptively replace my SparcStation IPX that's my primary time server for the network. It's from 1992. Still works great, though.
I wouldn't want to pay maintenance on a device that old. I also wouldn't want production systems on any device that's out of maintenance. Our iSeries is still pretty cheap maintenance-wise, so we'll continue running it for another couple years, despite having purchased them in 2005. Our Dells aren't breaking down, but it's more cost effective to replace them with higher end equipment than to keep maintenance contracts on older machines.
__________________
-wct097

Last edited by wct097; 09-29-2011 at 12:35..
wct097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 13:02   #11
tous
GET A ROPE!
 
tous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Plano, Texas, Republic of
Posts: 39,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
I wouldn't want to pay maintenance on a device that old. I also wouldn't want production systems on any device that's out of maintenance. Our iSeries is still pretty cheap maintenance-wise, so we'll continue running it for another couple years, despite having purchased them in 2005. Our Dells aren't breaking down, but it's more cost effective to replace them with higher end equipment than to keep maintenance contracts on older machines.
Well said, amigo.

I only buy the initial three-year maintenance and when that expires, those machines get moved to a non-mission critical role and if they fail and it makes economic sense to repair them, I do.

I think my next evolution will be to blades, but that's a few years off.
__________________
casing: what sausage goes in
case: what bullets go in

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law
tous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 13:37   #12
JK-linux
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,655
.....

Last edited by JK-linux; 05-22-2012 at 20:48..
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:42   #13
sappy13
Senior Member
 
sappy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bremen, GA
Posts: 2,744
we typically replace clients servers at the 3 year mark when they run out of warranty. We have a couple who are pushing well beyond their years and its noticeable. Our office server is a clients old ml350 g5 series. Its only real function is a file server and ltsp server, so we are waiting to replace it until we have a critical need.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:17   #14
BarrySDCA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,135
2 years max. It's all about density and a 2 year old server can not do nearly as much as a new server, so we are wasting rack space and power.

2 years...max, with upgrades in between.
__________________
BarrySDCA - BigDawg809
BarrySDCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 23:59   #15
gh0st614
Senior Member
 
gh0st614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 3,376
Send a message via AIM to gh0st614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprj View Post
This may vary depending on so many factors... but what about you? What do you use as basis and what becomes your retiring age for your servers? For unix based and for windows based...
I used to sell alot of SDRAM for servers just last year
__________________
-gh0st
--------------
Unknown- "To escape criticism, do nothing, say nothing and be nothing."
SAR1
.40S&W Member #420
gh0st614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:05   #16
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned
 
G33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: With G29
Posts: 58,672


Cabana boys wear out also.


Wait...servers are...nevermind.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:28   #17
rball
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southern Wisconsin
Posts: 158
I drop my servers as soon as they start spilling hot coffee on the customers, and complaining about not getting time off and benefits.
rball is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,127
296 Members
831 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31