Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:35   #1
Leightonpd2

Not the norm Duty Handguns

We have had "what type of duty handgun do you carry" threads. As you know, most replies are a Glock, M&P, or Sig type handgun.

Who out there carries something different than most? Either by choice or issue. New Officer here carries a Colt Double Eagle .45 ACP. Otherwise, it is Glocks in various calibers, 1 Beretta, 1 Sig P-220 .45ACP and a M&P .40.
Leightonpd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:20   #2
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

I have, over the past years, carried a Ruger P89 and P90, and Taurus PT92, in addition to the normal Smith 6906, Glocks and Sig.

I actually really liked the Taurus, I credit it with getting me interested in shooting again, since I could shoot it so well it motivated me to train more and become even more proficient. Prior to that, I carried .40 cal Glocks which I was, honestly, awful with.

The Taurus went by the wayside when the locking block broke on a range course. Taurus did replace it for free, and quickly, but I lost faith and sold the gun. I replaced it with a G17, later a G19, and haven't looked back. I acknowledge the Taurus is a sub-quality gun, but it was always a good piece for me up until the block broke at around 5,000 rounds.

I wouldn't carry another off-brand gun again, plus I am really happy with the 9mm Glock platform.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:26   #3
UrbanOps

I'd be carrying my FNX if Safariland made an ALS holster for it. I'm carrying the typical 226R + TLR combo.

The majority of our guys carry Glocks. There is, however, an XD and a Sig 229 thrown in there.
NRA and GSSF Member
UrbanOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:57   #4
GD2J
GoDirectly2Jail

The Goochland County Sheriff's Office here in central Virginia all carry issued HK45's.
GD2J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:32   #5
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Top shooter in my academy class carried a PT92, nickel plated. He won top shooter by chopping the tritirum hand off of his watch and gluing it on the front sight for night shoot. Now THAT is salty.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:49   #6
madecov
book em' Danno

I have qualified with my
Steyr M40A1
Walther P99
Walther PPS

I have carried them all as Duty weapons. Currently using a Gen 4 Glock 23

$20.00 transfers in the Houston area.
[
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:30   #7
A6Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
Top shooter in my academy class carried a PT92, nickel plated. He won top shooter by chopping the tritirum hand off of his watch and gluing it on the front sight for night shoot. Now THAT is salty.
Hardcore!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:02   #8
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

Not an off brand...but a rare gun. A neighboring sheriff's dept purchased Sig Sauer P226ST in .357 SIG. That is an all stainless frame and slide 226 in .357 Sig. It is NOT a catalog item typically offered. The sheriff is a working sheriff, and a gun nut. When he was elected the dept was him and about 3 deputies. He called Sig and ordered the guns from them directly. They gave him no grief over the order.

As crime began escalating in their county the commission approve hiring of another 6-8 deputies. he called to order more guns and SIG refused to make any more of his original purchase. He took it to the VP of LE Sales and eventually got a call from the head gunsmith in the SIG custom shop taking his order for the new guns. The guns are super heavy for a duty gun, but tame recoil well and are dead nuts accurate.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05   #9
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

Quote:

He IS the most interesting cop in the world....LOL

That takes serious stones and will be a story told at the academy for years. LOL
Old 09-28-2011, 10:36   #10
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

I saw a copper on DPD some years ago with a 3" S&W .357 with an unfluted cylander (blued gun) and custom cut target grips. That always cracked me up.

When I worked on the government contract as a guard, they gave me a 4" 681 (fixed sight 686). That was apparently rare, because the Smith gurus I have talked to have gone as far as denying they even made such a weapon.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:07   #11
Captain Caveman
a.k.a. DaReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
I saw a copper on DPD some years ago with a 3" S&W .357 with an unfluted cylander (blued gun) and custom cut target grips. That always cracked me up.

When I worked on the government contract as a guard, they gave me a 4" 681 (fixed sight 686). That was apparently rare, because the Smith gurus I have talked to have gone as far as denying they even made such a weapon.

The "681" is by no means rare. It just wasn't made in the same numbers as the "686". Most people prefer the adjustable sights over fixed on the L frames.
so they went to the polls and removed all doubt.
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:10   #12
ateamer
NRA4EVR

For a while in the early 90s, we were issued phased plasma rifles in the 40 watt range.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:20   #13
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caveman View Post
The "681" is by no means rare. It just wasn't made in the same numbers as the "686". Most people prefer the adjustable sights over fixed on the L frames.
That's what I thought, as the red patch company I worked for was uber-cheap, and would've spent as little as possible on guns, but like I said, some schmuck I worked with who claimed to be a S&W master swore up and down that there was no such animal.
Old 09-28-2011, 19:53   #14
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
The Taurus went by the wayside when the locking block broke on a range course. Taurus did replace it for free, and quickly, but I lost faith and sold the gun.
Same here. Bought my PT92 around 1988. Locking block broke with a live round in the chamber @ around the 5,000 round mark. Taurus said to send it back anyway and paid shipping both ways. I never trusted it after that. Sold it and bought a S&W 5904 (wish I still had that gun...it had an early "AIP" serial number). Now carrying a department-issued XD40 Service. Not a really common sidearm in LE, let alone an issued pistol. I like it though, but I'd rather carry my personal G21SF.
Old 09-28-2011, 20:22   #15
Pepper45

I carried a Browning Hi-Power for a couple years, liked it a bunch. Carried it until I started getting pressured to carry a .45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 20:41   #16
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

We used to carry the gun in my avatar, but the public complained. Too powerful!
Old 09-28-2011, 21:14   #17
CAcop

Does a Colt 1991A1 count? Thats what I currently have.

I have carried a 4506 and P220R which are kind of rare around here but can be found within the state elsewhere.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 22:31   #18
Chowser

Quote:
haha. reminds me of my academy class. i was top shooter with a nickel plated taurus pt99.

beat the marine with the HK. he says the light reflected off my nickel plated sissy gun causing him to miss a shot.

our area is mostly sig or glock. neighboring pd carries full size HK USPs in .45.
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 23:28   #19
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper45 View Post
I carried a Browning Hi-Power for a couple years, liked it a bunch. Carried it until I started getting pressured to carry a .45
I carried my (Yost) BHP on duty for a while. Love that gun.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:23   #20
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post

I have carried a 4506 and P220R which are kind of rare around here but can be found within the state elsewhere.
Didn't Palm Springs issue 645s or 4506s at one time? I can remember .45s and SIGs being pretty rare in the South Bay but Riverside County authorized P220s and Inland Empire departments allowing several types of .45-chambered pistols (El Monte, Asuza, etc.).

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine