Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:10   #1
Ragin Cajun

WIN 7 - Word 2003 vs 2010

I have both Word 2003 and 2010 loaded on my new Win 7 Ultimate computer and both function fine.

I want Word 2003 to open a file when I double click on, for example, a ".doc" file. I have set Word 2003 in "Default Programs" and the Word 2003 Icon shows. HOWEVER, when I double click on a .doc file, !@#$%^&* Word 2010 opens up instead of Word 2003!

What is going on?? I absolutely HATE the ribbons on the newer Windows programs. I also run ACAD and it has the option to use the "Classic" interface. Why can't M'soft do the same?

Any way to fix this file association issue?

Thanks,

RC
Old 09-28-2011, 10:58   #2
JimmyN

I don't know about Win7, but in XP I would right click on the .doc file, then select "Open with" and "Choose Program".

Select Word 2003, it should be on the list. Put a check in "Always use this program...." then click "OK".

It should start up with Word 2003. Close Word then double click on the doc file and see if it now opens up in Word 2003 rather than 2010.
Old 09-28-2011, 13:44   #3
solomansousana

go to your win 7 help menu then type in " default programs "
Old 09-28-2011, 15:39   #4
Ragin Cajun

I have tried both of them and 2010 still loads up!

RC
Old 09-29-2011, 21:54   #5
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
I absolutely HATE the ribbons on the newer Windows programs. I also run ACAD and it has the option to use the "Classic" interface. Why can't M'soft do the same?
There are free programs available that will add the "classic" menu to office 2007 & 2010, here's a couple ...

http://www.technixupdate.com/get-cla...with-ubitmenu/

http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/13/...fice-2010.html

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:01   #6
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

You really aren't doing yourself many favors by refusing to upgrade.

At some point, you'll be forced to, and then you'll have a learning curve that is drastically larger than what it would be if you had just bit the bullet & upgraded and dealt with the changes.

Either that, or you'll run into significant technical issues.

For example, I have a client who didn't upgrade her hardware or software because of a god-awful experience with another IT idiot who managed to delete almost everything in her Outlook in a botched migration.

Anyway, we successfully upgraded her - very smoothly - but are still dealing with the problem that she was on office XP/2000 and WinNT. Outlook 2000 has a hard-set 2GB PST file limit and the conversion process to upgrade the PST file to work with newer versions of outlook seems like a big pain in the rear.

Long story short, again, you will only hurt yourself in the long run by refusing to upgrade. Doesn't mean you have to buy every new piece of software and every new version that comes out, but Office 2003 is pushing a decade....and it's certainly time for you to let it go.

JMHO....
Old 09-30-2011, 15:33   #7
Ragin Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
There are free programs available that will add the "classic" menu to office 2007 & 2010, here's a couple ...

http://www.technixupdate.com/get-cla...with-ubitmenu/

http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/13/...fice-2010.html
SWEET!

It's not that I don't "upgrade" programs, but why do the programmers have to make such dramatic changes that require more picks, etc. to get something done? I have gone over the years from DrDOS to DOS to many of the various window versions. I avoided windows me, Vista, etc. and now am running Win 7 ultimate. I have a business to run and a computer is a tool, NOT an end in itself! I buy a tool like a hammer and don't care how to make one, just use it. When you are the whole business you have to keep things as streamlined as possible.

RC

Last edited by Ragin Cajun; 09-30-2011 at 15:37..
Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 17:18   #8
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
SWEET!

It's not that I don't "upgrade" programs, but why do the programmers have to make such dramatic changes that require more picks, etc. to get something done? I have gone over the years from DrDOS to DOS to many of the various window versions. I avoided windows me, Vista, etc. and now am running Win 7 ultimate. I have a business to run and a computer is a tool, NOT an end in itself! I buy a tool like a hammer and don't care how to make one, just use it. When you are the whole business you have to keep things as streamlined as possible.

RC

I hear ya. I really don't think that software programmers are trying to piss people off (at least in most cases).

It's just evolution - same reason we went from drum brakes to disk....sometimes newer is better.