Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 09:18   #861
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,488
Blog Entries: 1
Lots of universities and colleges here take foreign students... as you can tell from your visit. There are also scholarships and grants for foreign students... such as the ones which our president got while at Harvard... (teehee)

The I-20 for a student visa, F-1, is not hard to get if you are for real and get enrolled in a program. Cal State LA right next door is always taking foreign students.

As for the funk... now it makes a little more sense. I was in your shoes at that age as well because I had to work and earn everything for myself at that point in life. I didn't get anything from my parents and I never asked for it. They gave me enough earlier in life and I wanted to do it on my own.

I had a few rich friends and a few friends who started work way earlier in other fields, so everyone had more money than me and had more stuff, while I was schlupping away with a 10 year old car with over 100,000 miles on it. People didn't drive cars for that long back then... and my friends all had nice new cars like 3-series bimmers and Lexuses which were becoming very hot back then.

But I just put my nose in it and worked and concentrated on making what I could with what I had. Met some good people that took care of me professionally and while I still had to start on the ground floor, they helped me move along to where I am and now you see that I have somewhat of a comfortable lifestyle. Nothing extravagant... but I'm okay. Just be patient, young padawan, it'll come as long as you don't give it up or blow it by doing something dumb.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:03   #862
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,739
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Lots of universities and colleges here take foreign students... as you can tell from your visit. There are also scholarships and grants for foreign students... such as the ones which our president got while at Harvard... (teehee)

The I-20 for a student visa, F-1, is not hard to get if you are for real and get enrolled in a program. Cal State LA right next door is always taking foreign students.

As for the funk... now it makes a little more sense. I was in your shoes at that age as well because I had to work and earn everything for myself at that point in life. I didn't get anything from my parents and I never asked for it. They gave me enough earlier in life and I wanted to do it on my own.

I had a few rich friends and a few friends who started work way earlier in other fields, so everyone had more money than me and had more stuff, while I was schlupping away with a 10 year old car with over 100,000 miles on it. People didn't drive cars for that long back then... and my friends all had nice new cars like 3-series bimmers and Lexuses which were becoming very hot back then.

But I just put my nose in it and worked and concentrated on making what I could with what I had. Met some good people that took care of me professionally and while I still had to start on the ground floor, they helped me move along to where I am and now you see that I have somewhat of a comfortable lifestyle. Nothing extravagant... but I'm okay. Just be patient, young padawan, it'll come as long as you don't give it up or blow it by doing something dumb.
nice words, thanks.

Like I wrote, I found a new University here to study at, if they take me, that would be a great thing and something to start from.

Studying overseas would be unbelievable awesome, but I dont think I could get a scholarship at age 29 and with my school degree I have or afford the rest. Would probably be easier if I already would have a bachelors degree or similar - but also then, its hard, would have to quit my job I guess.

This September I get my status as an official with all the rights, so its kind of impossible to fire me from my job. When I have that, I have possibilites like a sabbatical or stopping to work but keeping my job for a specific amout of time.
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:50   #863
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO
 
Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas, near the bison.
Posts: 22,970
Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
54? I can do it at 50... but not sure how much I will get at 50 but if it is halfway reasonable, I am outta here!
Oh yeah. I started at 34, and I have to do a minimum of twenty years. My current maximum age, (barring a raising of the maximum age limit), is 57. I actually came in kind of late in comparison to some folks. I have seen people who had started right after they got out of the military, for their initial obligation, and come on in, (obligation meaning: selective service), then push out as soon as they had the required time in, (25 if under age 50), and go to another career on top of the ones that they have experience in. One fellow I know of stayed about a full 32 years, and retired at age 57. Now his son works there. I know another one who is third generation USP LVN, and will stay until he retires. My one offspring most likely will not go into the business, but that is al right. I would not want my daughter working in one of those places.
__________________
Arming with truth defeats ignorance. Jesus said, "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6
"Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the Federal
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:08   #864
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO
 
Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas, near the bison.
Posts: 22,970
Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
A good meal to end the day with: pasta e fagioli con un formaggio erborinato e salsa di noci. Servito con vino bianco. Why, yes I can cook.
__________________
Arming with truth defeats ignorance. Jesus said, "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6
"Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the Federal
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 14:41   #865
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,739
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Friend of mine went to the shot show and met Chris costa. Looks like he is quite small.
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 17:06   #866
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,488
Blog Entries: 1
You can get scholarships and grants at 29. That's not an issue. We had a foreign exchange student who did not want to go back to his communist country and he was working on his 6th bachelors degree while working as a student worker in the library. He has a ton of loans too but he doesn't care... it's unsecured anyway.

If you really want to do it, there is a way to get your funding to study here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 21:55   #867
Agent6-3/8
Senior Member
 
Agent6-3/8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The ramparts of civilization
Posts: 11,510
Finally got to watch "Courageous" tonight. Really excellent movie!
__________________
"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir
Agent6-3/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 13:44   #868
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,739
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
You can get scholarships and grants at 29. That's not an issue. We had a foreign exchange student who did not want to go back to his communist country and he was working on his 6th bachelors degree while working as a student worker in the library. He has a ton of loans too but he doesn't care... it's unsecured anyway.

If you really want to do it, there is a way to get your funding to study here.
You told me about him during my visit. I guess tons of loans isnt a good think though.
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 23:05   #869
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,488
Blog Entries: 1
I wouldn't suggest loaning for 6 bachelors either, but taking out a loan for a state school for 1 bachelors ain't too bad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 00:26   #870
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,739
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
How much does a bachelor cost in the States at a normal university?
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:42   #871
RMolina628
got a job!
 
RMolina628's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern MI
Posts: 1,619
Almost every university is different. For example it will cast me, a Michigan resident, about $22,000 after all said and done at Eastern Michigan University. But if I were to go to the University if Michigan which is about 5 miles from Eastern $22,000 wouldn't even cover my first year there. Just got to shop around for the best value.
__________________
G22, G19, SA EMP 9MM, Sig P225
RMolina628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:44   #872
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,760
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Well, I do believe I had the best first date I've had in a while last night.

We went to the local indoor range. The best part? She brought her own gun and ammo-Glock 35. The bad part? She gives me a run for my money with it.
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:36   #873
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,488
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerChris View Post
How much does a bachelor cost in the States at a normal university?
Not sure now... I earned mine a long long long time ago.

But I think a California State University degree should still be around the $20k mark while the University of California system costs more. Then you have to figure the out of state surcharge... unless you are illegal, then you get the DREAM Act to fund your education like us state residents.

Which makes total sense because after you graduate with your degree, you still can't work because... YOU ARE STILL ILLEGAL! So... now you are an educated dishwasher or gardener, with debt. Awesome plan!

So either you come here legally and pay more but may be able to work afterwards, or save on tuition by coming here illegally, and then have to "work in the shadows of the economy", which is the lib catchphrase now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Well, I do believe I had the best first date I've had in a while last night.

We went to the local indoor range. The best part? She brought her own gun and ammo-Glock 35. vThe bad part? She gives me a run for my money with it.
Sounds like LOVE to me!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:09   #874
Agent6-3/8
Senior Member
 
Agent6-3/8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The ramparts of civilization
Posts: 11,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Well, I do believe I had the best first date I've had in a while last night.

We went to the local indoor range. The best part? She brought her own gun and ammo-Glock 35. The bad part? She gives me a run for my money with it.
Now thats just awesome!
__________________
"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir

Last edited by Agent6-3/8; 01-26-2012 at 12:09..
Agent6-3/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 14:58   #875
Horror
Polizei
 
Horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,215
Send a message via ICQ to Horror
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
The bad part? She gives me a run for my money with it.

nothing is free in this world!
__________________
Everything will be okay in the end. If its not okay, its not the end.
Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 15:38   #876
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,760
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent6-3/8 View Post
Now thats just awesome!
I thought so too.

Now the other bad part. As much as I love how my SIG feels in my hand and conceals, I just flat out don't shoot it as well as I do Glocks. I have the feeling I may trade it for a G35 myself now or sell it for the cash to buy one. Preferably a 3rd-gen; not a fan of this Gen-4 crapola.
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:33   #877
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,739
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMolina628 View Post
Almost every university is different. For example it will cast me, a Michigan resident, about $22,000 after all said and done at Eastern Michigan University. But if I were to go to the University if Michigan which is about 5 miles from Eastern $22,000 wouldn't even cover my first year there. Just got to shop around for the best value.
Studying is just too cheap here in Europe - no wonder the system is collapsing.
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:36   #878
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy
 
OfficerChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schnitzelhausen
Posts: 7,739
Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Not sure now... I earned mine a long long long time ago.

But I think a California State University degree should still be around the $20k mark while the University of California system costs more. Then you have to figure the out of state surcharge... unless you are illegal, then you get the DREAM Act to fund your education like us state residents.

Which makes total sense because after you graduate with your degree, you still can't work because... YOU ARE STILL ILLEGAL! So... now you are an educated dishwasher or gardener, with debt. Awesome plan!

So either you come here legally and pay more but may be able to work afterwards, or save on tuition by coming here illegally, and then have to "work in the shadows of the economy", which is the lib catchphrase now.



Sounds like LOVE to me!

this dream act thing is just too stupid from what I know about it...
__________________
Pinki: "I don't think you want to get wild OC style"
Personal hero: Lawman800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:18   #879
Agent6-3/8
Senior Member
 
Agent6-3/8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The ramparts of civilization
Posts: 11,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
I thought so too.

Now the other bad part. As much as I love how my SIG feels in my hand and conceals, I just flat out don't shoot it as well as I do Glocks. I have the feeling I may trade it for a G35 myself now or sell it for the cash to buy one. Preferably a 3rd-gen; not a fan of this Gen-4 crapola.

Which Sig do you have? I've never cared for the way the traditional 226's and 229's fit me, but their new E2 models are awesome! The P229 E2 I looked at recently was just dead sexy and felt awesome.
__________________
"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir
Agent6-3/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:04   #880
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO
 
Hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas, near the bison.
Posts: 22,970
Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Howdy!
__________________
Arming with truth defeats ignorance. Jesus said, "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6
"Opinions expressed in this article are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the Federal
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:28.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,169
345 Members
824 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31