SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 16:43   #1
Colorado4Wheel

Be Careful what you ask for!

So I had a perfectly good and reliable 550, sold it to get the ultra PITA LnL. I dreamed about owning a fast and reliable machine with a casefeeder and finally bit the bullet and got the 650-Case Feeder combo. Now I make ammo so fast and easy that I got no loading to do. I guess I could load some more 10mm or 380acp on my LCT. Perhaps that is the solution. Either way I haven't loaded much lately because I don't really need to. I could do some casting but that is more of a bigger block of time for me.
Old 09-30-2011, 17:01   #2
Beanie-Bean

Noted.

I've been resisting the urge ever since the "two 550s?" thread. Was actually thinking about getting another press for small primer, while leaving #1 as a large primer press. Cabelas has the Hornady LnL AP for $369 until 10/09. I was sweating when I walked by it and gave it a whirl earlier--they have one mounted in the store.

It's really not that hard to swap out the priming systems at all, and with the words of wisdom and encouragement from the group here, I've decided to just wait it out and get some other stuff instead. Stuff like bullets and powder, or perhaps even a 10mm G20SF

I've downloaded and read (and read and read and read) the Dillon XL650 and Super 1050 books, and have decided that next year, after I've got this 550B thing down, I'll explore that direction. Haven't had any major malfunctions to deal with yet, but am just waiting to see how I fare while trying to dig out of one.

For now, I'll continue wrestling with OAL and the adjustments and on the seating die. That one seems to give me the most trouble, but I am learning a lot about how little to move things to get that extra .002"

Old 09-30-2011, 17:23   #3
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
So I had a perfectly good and reliable 550, sold it to get the ultra PITA LnL. I dreamed about owning a fast and reliable machine with a casefeeder and finally bit the bullet and got the 650-Case Feeder combo. Now I make ammo so fast and easy that I got no loading to do. I guess I could load some more 10mm or 380acp on my LCT. Perhaps that is the solution. Either way I haven't loaded much lately because I don't really need to. I could do some casting but that is more of a bigger block of time for me.
And, there it is. Truth be told, I've got enough pistol ammo stocked up to last a year, maybe more. As bad as that is, thinking about burning up the coupla' thousand rounds of factory stuff laying around just for the brass. It's a sickness.......
Old 09-30-2011, 17:25   #4
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
Noted.

I've been resisting the urge ever since the "two 550s?" thread. Was actually thinking about getting another press for small primer, while leaving #1 as a large primer press. Cabelas has the Hornady LnL AP for $369 until 10/09. I was sweating when I walked by it and gave it a whirl earlier--they have one mounted in the store.

It's really not that hard to swap out the priming systems at all, and with the words of wisdom and encouragement from the group here, I've decided to just wait it out and get some other stuff instead. Stuff like bullets and powder, or perhaps even a 10mm G20SF

I've downloaded and read (and read and read and read) the Dillon XL650 and Super 1050 books, and have decided that next year, after I've got this 550B thing down, I'll explore that direction. Haven't had any major malfunctions to deal with yet, but am just waiting to see how I fare while trying to dig out of one.

For now, I'll continue wrestling with OAL and the adjustments and on the seating die. That one seems to give me the most trouble, but I am learning a lot about how little to move things to get that extra .002"
If you ever have a issue just clear the entire shellplate and start from scratch.

.002" is NON-Existent. It's not even a difference. It's a anomaly resulting from how seating stems/brass/bullets really work.
Old 09-30-2011, 19:38   #5
sellersm
disciplinare

That's what you get....

So this just means you're not shooting enough, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Prosecute criminals, not guns!
Old 09-30-2011, 19:42   #6
michael e

I have a friend that works for a place that gives me unlimited access to certain caliber brass, I actually had to tell him I didnt need any last time he call because I have a few thousand loaded up, and about 5k in storage. I keep telling him they need to switch calibers for me. The time reloading is part of the fun, no one bothers me when I am in my gun room. Phone is in other room , radio on, and nothing else.
Old 09-30-2011, 19:45   #7
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellersm View Post
That's what you get....

So this just means you're not shooting enough, right?
Yep. Maybe I need to join the inside range. That just sounds so boring.
Old 09-30-2011, 19:54   #8
Beanie-Bean

Quote:
If you ever have a issue just clear the entire shellplate and start from scratch.

.002" is NON-Existent. It's not even a difference. It's a anomaly resulting from how seating stems/brass/bullets really work.
Yessir...thanks for the pointers. I've been getting cross-eyed trying to get the die to lock in for different OALs because of the different bullets I've been experimenting with lately.

If anything, I just go with a longer length, and if it gauges OK, and chambers OK, then it must be OK.

Old 09-30-2011, 20:00   #9
ursoboostd

I have a 650 and and LCT also. I'm pretty loaded up in every caliber I shoot. I prepped 3K pieces of 223 brass last week because I had no reloading to do. lol
Old 09-30-2011, 20:02   #10
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
That's been my issue as well...

I've got 5000 plus rounds of 9mm loaded and stockpiled right now and another 1500 of .223 rifle... all my rifle brass is sized and trimmed ready to load.
I just got my .380 ACP RCBS taper crimper/seater though an will start load developing the Bear Creek moly bullets I have. I got a Horandy micrometer seater stem for my .380 die set so gonna give that a evaluation soon.

It's tough having a machine that does all you could ever ask of it
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Old 09-30-2011, 21:14   #11
Tpro
On the mark

Yeah and all of us who didn't drink the kool-aid struggle to load 100 rounds without mishaps.

You know its slow around hear when people start snappin' their suspenders telling us how good they are.
Old 09-30-2011, 21:18   #12
Tpro
On the mark

Quote:
" ultra PITA LnL". Classic over exaggeration. Funny tho. I'm sure for you that was the case. Like I said, I'll be buying the case and bullet feeder later in October. Maybe I'll post pics. Maybe not. If it was trouble free noone here with a Dillon would believe me anyway. Because it can't be true. None of them work. Won't seat primers. Can't load 9mm. Fill in the rest for me as I have forgetten all the singular gripes I have read.
Old 09-30-2011, 22:07   #13
ursoboostd

Oh don't fool yourself. Your drinking Kool Aid. Just a different flavor......
Old 09-30-2011, 22:07   #14
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Wanna trade for a month? I can bring it down in the morning.
Old 09-30-2011, 22:08   #15
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Manley View Post
And, there it is. Truth be told, I've got enough pistol ammo stocked up to last a year, maybe more. As bad as that is, thinking about burning up the coupla' thousand rounds of factory stuff laying around just for the brass. It's a sickness.......
You pulled any factory rounds to use the components yet?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:23   #16
WiskyT
Malcontent

Once you close the door to the reloading room, no one knows you're not actually reloading. I've got the internet which means I've got Simon and Simon, The Rockford Files, Magnum PI, and Wonder Woman in my gun room.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
Old 10-01-2011, 13:24   #17
bush pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpro View Post
" ultra PITA LnL". Classic over exaggeration. Funny tho. I'm sure for you that was the case. Like I said, I'll be buying the case and bullet feeder later in October. Maybe I'll post pics. Maybe not. If it was trouble free noone here with a Dillon would believe me anyway. Because it can't be true. None of them work. Won't seat primers. Can't load 9mm. Fill in the rest for me as I have forgetten all the singular gripes I have read.
An obvious case of press envy. I have friends that wished they'd gone blue too.

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
Old 10-01-2011, 13:27   #18
bush pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Manley View Post
Sell the factory ammo to some non-reloader and buy components.

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
Old 10-01-2011, 15:04   #19
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Once you close the door to the reloading room, no one knows you're not actually reloading. I've got the internet which means I've got Simon and Simon, The Rockford Files, Magnum PI, and Wonder Woman in my gun room.
Stuck in the 70's/80's?
Old 10-01-2011, 15:06   #20
norton

Quote:
Don't you people own firearms? You are supposed to shoot what you load.
Damn, Jack is gone, so I gotta tell you the obvious?

Closed Thread