Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2011, 17:11   #1
malleable

Considering reloading?

I just bought some WWB .38 special FMJ 100 round packs at wally world, with tax it came to $40 box (OUCH). If i started reloading what am i looking at per round?
If i only want to load .38 special range rounds, and i shoot max 5k rounds a year, what idiot proof reloader would you recommend for a total newb?
I believe in buy once-cry once, so I'm not going to sweat a few dollars for a better product but don't want to overbuy or get something with a huge learning curve. Thanks
Old 09-30-2011, 17:31   #2
Colorado4Wheel

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1027887

5K rounds a year is less then 500 a month. MOST people once they start reloading end up shooting more. So you may end up loading up to 10K rounds a year. It's not uncommon. 5K rounds could be done on a Single Stage if your not too limited with time. 10K is going to get old on a Single Stage IMHO.

Do you shoot much/any rifle?

Good Luck with your choice. Lots of recent threads about this topic.
Old 09-30-2011, 17:58   #3
malleable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1027887

5K rounds a year is less then 500 a month. MOST people once they start reloading end up shooting more. So you may end up loading up to 10K rounds a year. It's not uncommon. 5K rounds could be done on a Single Stage if your not too limited with time. 10K is going to get old on a Single Stage IMHO.

Do you shoot much/any rifle?

Good Luck with your choice. Lots of recent threads about this topic.
Thanks, I will do a search. No, I don't do any rifle. I'm 50 yoa and just shoot for fun. I saw a video from a guy named Jerry Miculek and that's what hooked me? I have a GP100 3" for range and home protection, but I'm far from proficient with it.
Just curious, as I don't even know what a single stage is, I guess I should have done more research before posting.

Last edited by malleable; 09-30-2011 at 18:37..
malleable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 18:01   #4
unclebob

Get the book the ABC of reloading.
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-30-2011, 18:06   #5
Dasglockenspiel

Malleable:

Ideally it would be smart to find a friend that reloads and spend some time with him while he reloads so that you start understanding the basics. Too often, folks buy what they think they want and end up not purchasing the right gear.

You will definately shot more often, more consistently and more accurately.

I load 6 calibers for competitive shooters and the inexpensive but reliable press, dies and scale performs fine.

Good luck!

Dasglockenspiel.
Dasglockenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 18:24   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by malleable View Post
Thanks, I will do a search. No, I don't do any rifle. I'm 50 yoa and just shoot for fun. I saw a video from a Jerry Miculek and that's what hooked me? I have a GP100 3" for range and home protection, but I'm far from proficient with it.
Just curious, as I don't even know what a single stage is, I guess I should have done more research before posting.
Basically, reloading is pretty simple. You take a clean piece of brass. Using a press you deprime and size it (ussually at the same time). Sizing makes the case smaller, like it was before it stretched when you fired the cartridge. You have a couple ways to prime. Using a hand tool or a press. After you prime it you fill it with powder and lightly flare the case (usually at the same time). Then you seat the bullet and crimp the case.

So a single stage does each step separately in batches. A progressive does each step in unison. So 4 stations do it all at the same time. Very nice, much faster. Lee CLASSIC Turret dies each step separately, but it automatically indexes between steps and you do it all on the press.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ideoBetter.mp4

That is a little video of a LCT in action. Plus, my singing at the end.

Get a Reloading manual and start reading. It will start to make sense. For the record. Dillon has excellent instructions. Reading them will give you a little idea what the process looks like.

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/en...l-May-2007.pdf

You tube has a ton of videos. It can all be overwhelming. I prefer to read and learn, then watch some videos.
Old 09-30-2011, 18:27   #7
michael e

Lee has a few set ups that are pretty cheap. I have a a pro 1000, used it for years and its good, and cheaper than most. Like others said, get the book read it and see if you really want to do it. You will end up shooting alot more, so you really will not be saving money, just get to shoot alot more.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 18:38   #8
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasglockenspiel View Post
Malleable:

Ideally it would be smart to find a friend that reloads and spend some time with him while he reloads so that you start understanding the basics. Too often, folks buy what they think they want and end up not purchasing the right gear.

You will definately shot more often, more consistently and more accurately.

I load 6 calibers for competitive shooters and the inexpensive but reliable press, dies and scale performs fine.

Good luck!

Dasglockenspiel.
I agree with you to find someone that knows how to reload. But the person also has to remember that just because a person reloads does not mean that that person knows how to reload. Also just because a person post a video on You Tube mean that they know what they are doing also. Granted there are some good ones and some that we will just leave it at that.
GSSF Life Member
Old 09-30-2011, 18:40   #9
malleable

Thanks' to all who responded. I'm sure these newbie questions become quite monotonous.
but we all had to learn sometime.
Old 09-30-2011, 18:40   #10
firefighter4215

I have a Lee Classic Turret press. You'll find mixed reviews here about Lee equipment. I've had zero problems with the LCT, though I'm not trying to reload 200 rounds per hour either. Regardless, buying bulk 125 grain lead bullets from the Missouri Bullet company and CCI 500 primers locally for $29.99/1000, I'm reloading 38 special for somewhere between $5.50 and $6 a box. Others may do it cheaper, but that's as cheap as I've been able to get, and I'm very happy with that. If you're willing to shoot lead, a savings of $15 a box will add up in a hurry.
firefighter4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 19:07   #11
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4215 View Post
I have a Lee Classic Turret press. You'll find mixed reviews here about Lee equipment. I've had zero problems with the LCT,
Most people don't complain about the LCT. Everyone can find something about a press to improve but for the money the LCT is a nice little press.
Old 09-30-2011, 19:54   #12
jfrey

Do your homework and check out the Dillon Square Deal B if all you're gonna load is .38 spl. It is a heck of a machine and comes complete with dies and set at the factory to load which ever caliber you order it for. Don't let folks tell you you can't learn to load on a progressive press. That's a bunch of bull. Just read the instructions a couple of times and pay attention to what you are doing. The SDB is a progressive but you can also load one round at a time if you want. That defeats the purpose but it can be done. Dillon has fantastic customer support and warranty. The SDB is a little more money up front but well worth the investment.

You may intend to only load 5000 rounds a year but that may become a lot more once you get started. I loaded 10,000 the first year I had mine.

Get a loading manual or two, some lead bullets and a can of Unique powder and get to loading. Everyone has their favorite powder but there is hardly a loading bench that has been around a while that doesn't have a can of Unique setting around somewhere.
jfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 20:01   #13
malleable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
Do your homework and check out the Dillon Square Deal B if all you're gonna load is .38 spl. It is a heck of a machine and comes complete with dies and set at the factory to load which ever caliber you order it for. Don't let folks tell you you can't learn to load on a progressive press. That's a bunch of bull. Just read the instructions a couple of times and pay attention to what you are doing. The SDB is a progressive but you can also load one round at a time if you want. That defeats the purpose but it can be done. Dillon has fantastic customer support and warranty. The SDB is a little more money up front but well worth the investment.

You may intend to only load 5000 rounds a year but that may become a lot more once you get started. I loaded 10,000 the first year I had mine.

Get a loading manual or two, some lead bullets and a can of Unique powder and get to loading. Everyone has their favorite powder but there is hardly a loading bench that has been around a while that doesn't have a can of Unique setting around somewhere.
Thanks, I'll research that.
How much space would I need to allocate for a basic station?

Last edited by malleable; 09-30-2011 at 20:04..
malleable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 20:07   #14
frankmako

you can start out on a single stage press. find a good used one. then if things go good, you can build from there. later on you can move up to a dillon 550. the dillon 550 is not more money over the square deal and does a whole lot more. ther are several internet site and books to read before you buy. do your homework before you buy.
frankmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 20:10   #15
Colorado4Wheel

Not much for the press. A press can easily be mounted on a station that is 24" wide. Then another area for some general type of stuff (sorting, inspecting, etc.). A 48" wide 36" tall base cabinet would work. Put a Dillon on a strong mount and your basically set. That puts the press at 44". Good for stool/seated loading. I prefer standing so I have mine at 47". I also like my work bench at 40". I hate bending over even a little. I am 5'10"
Old 09-30-2011, 20:44   #16
jfrey

I have 2 SDB presses set up on an old office desk that measures 24X40 inches. You don't need a lot of room, just make sure what ever is stable and doesn't shake when you pull the lever. I store the extra stuff in the drawers. It is really convenient.

Just FYi, the SDB is a better deal than the 550 if all you are going to load is straight walled pistol ammo. First, the SDB has automatic indexing of the loading stage, the 550 doesn't. Non automatic indexing can and has caused double charging of ammo with small volume powders if you aren't paying real close attention. Second, the SDB comes with Dillon proprietary dies already installed, the 550 doesn't. The dies for the 550 are extra. The SDB works really well on the strong mount base.

All my rifle loading is done on a single stage press since it is a lot more meticulous than pistol loading. The only advantage of the 550 is being able to load rifle ammo on it. I have two SDB's, one for .45 ACP/.45 LC and large primer ammo. The second is for 9mm and small primer ammo. The only thing I have to change is the location of my stool. I assure you, if they weren't any good, John Taffin wouldn't be using the exact same setup for the same purpose.
jfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 20:59   #17
Colorado4Wheel

SDB is tiny. That is the biggest issue with it for me. With out a casefeeder auto indexing is not that big a deal. I prefer it not have Dillon Only dies as well. I like the flexibility of using other dies. Everyone is different.
Old 09-30-2011, 21:07   #18
dkf

Wow. Didn't know the SDB uses proprietary dies. Definatly a deal breaker for me. Learn something new everyday.

Last edited by dkf; 09-30-2011 at 21:07..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 21:11   #19
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Don't look at costs. Look at it as another hobby that saves some money. Reloading is fun and relaxing for me and I make good inexpensive ammo.
Old 09-30-2011, 21:22   #20
LawScholar

I'm also examining reloading. What is the best top end, rock solid, HK of reloading equipment?