Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2011, 13:47   #1
Andy P

What model S&W is it?

I came across this beautiful modified S&W revolver but I canít figure out from what model it is made? There is no text on the barrel which indicates a shortened barrel. The caliber is most likely .38 Special but it could also be a .357 magnum. I didnít have any .357 so I could see if they fit.

There is a large S&W logo on the other side of the frame.

What is your take on this model and how much is modified by the user and how old is the revolver?
Smith & Wesson Club
Old 10-01-2011, 14:09   #2
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

My Dad had a M36 like that.
Think it was a Fitz Special out of St. Louis.
.38 Spl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 14:11   #3
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

HOWEVER...It looks new.
Note the hole for a lock.

Tylet T-grip.
Work on grip frame and grip plates.

Trigger guard and hammer work were typical to Fitz.

Old 10-01-2011, 14:39   #4
1 old 0311

Someone spent a LOT of money, barrel, hammer, trigger guard, front sight, frame, T-grip on a LOCK MODEL.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 15:44   #5
Andy P

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
HOWEVER...It looks new.
Note the hole for a lock.

Tylet T-grip.
Work on grip frame and grip plates.

Trigger guard and hammer work were typical to Fitz.
Great thanks, but what about the thumb piece it dosen't look like a standard S&W piece?

Last edited by Andy P; 10-01-2011 at 16:27..
Andy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 20:24   #6
pennlineman

That is not a hole for the lock. This circa 1942 pre victory model has the same pin.

Smith & Wesson Club

Besides, the lock hole is located above the thumb piece, not below. This was present on S&W revolvers until after WWII when a change to the lockwork took place. The gun looks to be a modified 1905 M&P or as it is also known, a 1905 hand ejector. What change I can not determine with all the modifications. A serial number would really help. The thumbpiece looks like a trimmed down version of the one original to the gun. The barrel I would say is much newer, the extractor rod I'm not sure of. The hammer is typical of a prewar- WWII hammer but has been bobbed. The grips are either not original or have been modified and the grip frame was cut to match the grips. It is obvious the trigger guard was also cut.

A very interesting gun IMO. Congrats!

If you could post the serial number, include any letter prefix if one is present. I can get you a closer age of the gun.

ETA: I just noticed that the bottom of the grip frame appears to have a hole in it. If so, this is where a lanyard was once attached. I'm thinking this is probably a victory model. If so, it will have a V prefix in front of the serial number. Some were .38 S&W special (.38 special) and some were .38 S&W. There is a difference.

Last edited by pennlineman; 10-01-2011 at 20:43..
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 20:28   #7
2740dmx

I do not think that the "hole" is for the internal lock.

If you look at newer Smiths, the internal lock is above the cylinder release, while the one in the picture is below.

There are numerous other details that show it to be of an older vintage as well...

Having said that...I am not a vintage S&W expert, but hopefully someone will be along shortly to tell you exactly what it is!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:17   #8
Andy P

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
That is not a hole for the lock. This circa 1942 pre victory model has the same pin.
Besides, the lock hole is located above the thumb piece, not below. This was present on S&W revolvers until after WWII when a change to the lockwork took place. The gun looks to be a modified 1905 M&P or as it is also known, a 1905 hand ejector. What change I can not determine with all the modifications. A serial number would really help. The thumbpiece looks like a trimmed down version of the one original to the gun. The barrel I would say is much newer, the extractor rod I'm not sure of. The hammer is typical of a prewar- WWII hammer but has been bobbed. The grips are either not original or have been modified and the grip frame was cut to match the grips. It is obvious the trigger guard was also cut.

A very interesting gun IMO. Congrats!

If you could post the serial number, include any letter prefix if one is present. I can get you a closer age of the gun.

ETA: I just noticed that the bottom of the grip frame appears to have a hole in it. If so, this is where a lanyard was once attached. I'm thinking this is probably a victory model. If so, it will have a V prefix in front of the serial number. Some were .38 S&W special (.38 special) and some were .38 S&W. There is a difference.
Thank you very much and you are correct it is not a hole but a pin. I will be back with a serial# in the next week.

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:10   #9
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Was wrong on hole.
My collection of olde stuff is in another state.
Cannot look at them.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:03   #10
Andy P

Quote:
I'm thinking this is probably a victory model. If so, it will have a V prefix in front of the serial number.
Well not a "V" but a "M" and the number is 74986.
Smith & Wesson Club
Old 10-05-2011, 18:35   #11
pennlineman

OK, where did that number come from? The serial number should be located at the bottom of the grip frame. Provided some of it was not cut off when the cut that piece out of it. As a backup try looking at the rear of the cylinder where you put the bullets in. See if that number is the same one you posted.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:27   #12
Andy P

Quote:
OK, where did that number come from? The serial number should be located at the bottom of the grip frame. Provided some of it was not cut off when the cut that piece out of it. As a backup try looking at the rear of the cylinder where you put the bullets in. See if that number is the same one you posted.
Sorry for the long response time I have been out of town.
Well the first number #74986 is from the frame behind the crane, but you are right there is another number on the rear of the cylinder #524379, but what does that mean?
Smith & Wesson Club
There is nothing on the bottom of the grip frame and no hole for the lanyard ring.

Last edited by Andy P; 10-14-2011 at 10:49..
Andy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 16:21   #13
pennlineman

The serial number should be on the bottom of the grip frame. It was probably removed when the grip frame was modified. No big deal since the work was probably done before the gun control act of 1968. Prior to that serial numbers were not required. For some reason S&W has always used serial numbers even though there was no requirement to do so.

In addition to the grip frame S&W also had the serial number on the cylinder, barrel and grips. Assuming the cylinder is original to the frame 524379 dates that revolver to 1915-42 time frame. This would confirm it as being a .38 military and police model of 1905 4th change.

The only way to narrow down the date is to request a letter rom S&W that will detail the date the revolver shipped and where it was shipped to. They do this for a $50 fee and more info can be had at the S&W web site. That gun is interesting enough that I would consider doing so if it were mine.
Old 10-15-2011, 14:11   #14
Andy P

Thanks Penn, this is great information. But what can be said about the serial behind the crane then? And if the cylinder is original to the frame, why the different numbers?
Old 10-15-2011, 14:30   #15
pennlineman

The number behind the crane is a part number. S&W's from this time frame did not have the serial numbers behind the crane. I have 4 pre model number S&W's and they're all this way. Open the cylinder and check under the barrel to see if that serial number matches the one on your cylinder. You can also find the serial number stamped on the back side of the extractor star. Just push it out as if you were ejecting spent brass, you'll see it. If all 3 of these numbers match I'd say that chance are that is the number that was on the grip frame. Please post if all these match, I'm curious.

ETA: Check under the grips for a serial number too. I have a feeling these are the original grips sanded down. It should be on the right grip. The barrel as stated before I doubt is original to the gun.

Last edited by pennlineman; 10-15-2011 at 14:36..