Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2011, 16:41   #1
CheddarB

used Dillon xl650 for first press?

Ok I have been thinking about getting into reloading for a while now just never seriously considered it. but with me shooting .357sig,40sw,45acp and this ever burning itch to buy a 10mm has really got me thinking about it day and night.. one of my dads friends reloads and he said that if it isn't a dillon you wish it would be.. I have found a xl650 with case hopper. .380acp 9mm,40sw,45acp all "quick change" setups for 1800.00, is that a bit high for what he is selling? I was looking at the 550b's, but this seems like a nicer machine.. I am usually the "spend once cry once" type guy and it seems already setup for 3 calibers that I would load for.. what I am asking is this a good deal? and is this the type of press that I would probably never need to upgrade? any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
CheddarB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 16:51   #2
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Dillon gear at 80 percent of retail used is a good deal. Price it out on the Brian Enos website and she where you come up.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 16:51   #3
Hawker Man

Get on Dillon's web page and do the math.
Hawker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 19:19   #4
Frank V

I'm not sure of the value of the press & set up you are talking about, but I bought a used Dillon 550. I called Dillon & told them I'd bought a used 550 & would the warranty still be good. The Rep's words were darn right, we warrant our presses not the buyer. I can tell you if you buy a used Dillon & anything is wrong with it they will repair it. They have one of he best warranty programs in the gun business. Buy Dillon with confidence.
Frank
Old 10-01-2011, 19:44   #5
RustyFN

I
Quote:
have found a xl650 with case hopper. .380acp 9mm,40sw,45acp all "quick change" setups for 1800.00, is that a bit high for what he is selling?
For everything you have listed it would cost $1,408.45 at Brian Enos and it's all new. This is what I figured,

Dillon 650
four die sets
case feeder
two case feeder plates
three quick change kits

Not sure how much more is included in the used set up.
Old 10-01-2011, 20:15   #6
unclebob

I came up with 1675.00 and that is with just about everything Strong mount, roller handle, bullet tray etc. If it has everything 1340.00 would be more like it.
GSSF Life Member
Old 10-01-2011, 20:27   #7
frankmako

i got two 550 and they have never given me any problems. check the prices over at dillon and enos to see what a new one goes for.
frankmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 20:32   #8
unclebob

Ops forgot the dies. So that would be another 252.00. So I would say he is selling it for what he paid for it.
GSSF Life Member
Old 10-01-2011, 21:04   #9
fredj338

I can't argue w/ wanting to purchase a quality, few hassles progressive like the 650. Priced as stated, the owner is a bit high, get him down to $1300-1400 & it's a good deal. Reload on it for 5yrs & you can sell it for what you paid today.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 10-01-2011 at 21:05..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 21:13   #10
Colorado4Wheel

650 would be a great first press. Very nice indeed.
Old 10-01-2011, 21:24   #11
Tpro
On the mark

My question is this; Why would anyone sell the Dillon 650? Unless they dies of course, but this is the Cadillac of presses. Can't imagine some one selling one.
Tpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:41   #12
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpro View Post
My question is this; Why would anyone sell the Dillon 650? Unless they dies of course, but this is the Cadillac of presses. Can't imagine some one selling one.
The recent admins wet blanket on the economy has cost many good jobs. So if you need $1500 to pay the bills, you can always buy another press when you start working again. It's likely why they are asking pretty much retail.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 10-02-2011 at 09:41..
Old 10-02-2011, 10:41   #13
Tpro
On the mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The recent admins wet blanket on the economy has cost many good jobs. So if you need $1500 to pay the bills, you can always buy another press when you start working again. It's likely why they are asking pretty much retail.
I get that. My question is who is the fool that will over pay for that? I never pay 80% of retail for anything used. No matter what it is. It's stupid. For 20% I'll buy new, regardless of warranty. He may need to pay bills. He just wouldn't do it at my expense.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:48   #14
ave8er

Quote:
the guy that wants to move up to a 1050 If I was loading a bunch of 9mm I would step up to 1050 for the primer swaging damn crimped primers are a PITA
ave8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:50   #15
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave8er View Post
the guy that wants to move up to a 1050 If I was loading a bunch of 9mm I would step up to 1050 for the primer swaging damn crimped primers are a PITA
Great if that is all you shoot.
GSSF Life Member
Old 10-02-2011, 15:16   #16
fredj338

Quote:
I get that. My question is who is the fool that will over pay for that? I never pay 80% of retail for anything used. No matter what it is. It's stupid. For 20% I'll buy new, regardless of warranty. He may need to pay bills. He just wouldn't do it at my expense.
Got it, I agree. The guy wants his money back. I see it all the time. Most people think their stuff is worth more when they sell it & your stuff is worth less when they are buying it.
Old 10-02-2011, 23:47   #17
Tpro
On the mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Got it, I agree. The guy wants his money back. I see it all the time. Most people think their stuff is worth more when they sell it & your stuff is worth less when they are buying it.

Yup!
Old 10-07-2011, 20:34   #18
CheddarB

thank you all for your reply's and input, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his bottom dollar is.. I just got another .357sig and that damn 10mm keeps looking better and better by the day...

UncleBob- do you reload? if so is there a good local source for reloading supply's? (I am in the FWB area) or is it better to stick with on-line retailers?
CheddarB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 21:13   #19
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarB View Post
thank you all for your reply's and input, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his bottom dollar is.. I just got another .357sig and that damn 10mm keeps looking better and better by the day...

UncleBob- do you reload? if so is there a good local source for reloading supply's? (I am in the FWB area) or is it better to stick with on-line retailers?
Yes I reload. It depends powder and primers I get from Graf on Sons or Powder Valley. Bullets, one of the people that I shoot and travel with for GSSF matches is an X-Treme dealer. Two to three times a year he does an order of what people want. If I Just want to try a different powder I go to Patriot Arms.
GSSF Life Member
Old 12-01-2011, 17:33   #20
marksmenscorner

reloading

Hi Chedder

Dillion makes a fine press I have reloaded for years and own both a dillion and a lee progressive, I find that I use my Lee loadmaster for most of my reloading needs and the price was a lot less, The dies are great and customer service is number one,

just a thought, Don't buy just because that brand is sold near by, Most co. will ship to your door in 3 to five days, check on line for the equipment that fits your needs and budget
marksmenscorner is offline   Reply With Quote