Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2014, 13:03   #1
redsox

Back yard shooting in Florida

I live in St Johns county Fla. The Fla statutes 790.15 allow for shooting ranges on your property( look it up- sorry no link). How many Floridians shoot on their property? or those who live anywhere and may have similar laws. In Fla the Legislature took 95% of control AWAY from the county's when it comes to firearms. How many folks use their property for a range?

thanx

Tom
Old 11-29-2014, 14:25   #2
Bruce M

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...-firing-range/

My guess is that eventually someone is ging to use their backyard that is about four and half inches from someone else's backyard and this whole thing will end up going through the courts and eventually with some sort of legislative action.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 18:23   #3
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

I sometimes use my pool to check out expansion on new rounds.
Old 11-29-2014, 19:32   #4
picanins

Yes. Definitely do my shooting in my yard. Skeet, pistol, rifle. And most people on my street do too. Gunfire is a common sound around here.
Old 11-29-2014, 21:05   #5
GoBigOrange

I live in a neighborhood with people 20 feet from me. I guess I could do this legally but it would not be safe. Also, my neighbors would hate me.

I wish I had land to shoot on. Today I did hear someone behind our neighborhood shooting. Those people have a few wooded acres and I hope a decent backstop.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:15   #6
Pardoner

Humm... Interesting. You got me to look out my window at the huge hill in my back yard.

This is the only part that concerns me:

who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use

Who is the one to determine what is reckless or negligent?
Pardoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 13:45   #7
redsox

790.15 Fla stats

first the cops have to SEE you do this. Otherwise all they can do is a noise complaint- dont sign it- I shoot on my .60 acre and by the time they get to my house to "knock and talk" im inside and I tell them to get lost, or I dont answer at all. They cant roam around your private property at will- They bluster and try to intimidate but thats like so many bees buzzing Since I 'posed' my lot they dont even come in the driveway. In 2011 ALL firearms regulation was removed from the county and is the SOLE purvue of the State. The bottom line is this- if they dont have DATED AND TIME STAMPED AUDIO OR VIDEO IT NEVER HAPPENED I got that from one of the rocket scientists at SJCSO
Old 11-30-2014, 21:47   #8
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox View Post
first the cops have to SEE you do this. Otherwise all they can do is a noise complaint- dont sign it- I shoot on my .60 acre and by the time they get to my house to "knock and talk" im inside and I tell them to get lost, or I dont answer at all. They cant roam around your private property at will- They bluster and try to intimidate but thats like so many bees buzzing Since I 'posed' my lot they dont even come in the driveway. In 2011 ALL firearms regulation was removed from the county and is the SOLE purvue of the State. The bottom line is this- if they dont have DATED AND TIME STAMPED AUDIO OR VIDEO IT NEVER HAPPENED I got that from one of the rocket scientists at SJCSO
This might be some of the finest free internet legal advice ever.

Nevertheless, I would probably consult an attorney in a similar situation in case either there may be another potentially applicable statute or another interpretation of what may constitute admissible evidence or how misdemeanor charges might be filed in instances when the police do not actually witness an incident.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 22:02   #9
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
I live in a neighborhood with people 20 feet from me. I guess I could do this legally but it would not be safe. Also, my neighbors would hate me.

I have a safe plinking spot out back, with a creek bank for a backstop, but it's technically over on school property so that won't work.

I have woods and a lake across the street, but it's illegal to shoot across a paved street, so that's out. And nice neighbors on each side.

However, I'll be glad to come visit you guys with your own private ranges..........:
Old 12-01-2014, 06:27   #10
redsox

Backyard range

Thank you all for your input. I did consult a shyster before I began . He would write up a " brief" for me!- seems everyone in the south is out of work. Like I told the cops" anyone can read the Fla stats" the key words in 790.15 are 'paved,public,negilently, residential. Im zoned open rural and own acreage- and have made sure none of the actionable components of this subsection apply. Since im retired, I wait untill my neighbors are gone (usually) before I start. We are leaving Fla after 31 years- this summer. I thought Dade/Broward was bad when we lived there but st johns is mayberry
Old 12-01-2014, 07:58   #11
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox View Post
Thank you all for your input. I did consult a shyster before I began . He would write up a " brief" for me!- seems everyone in the south is out of work. Like I told the cops" anyone can read the Fla stats" the key words in 790.15 are 'paved,public,negilently, residential. Im zoned open rural and own acreage- and have made sure none of the actionable components of this subsection apply. Since im retired, I wait untill my neighbors are gone (usually) before I start. We are leaving Fla after 31 years- this summer. I thought Dade/Broward was bad when we lived there but st johns is mayberry
Generally the laws favor gun owners. The problem arrises with those moving into the state from other locations bringing their pushy, snobbish and egotistical attitudes with them. I guess the attitude is "hey, I'm here and my money is going to do the talking". So they make enough noise that other liberals take notice.

They move into an area and then want to change it to conform to what they feel is right for their comfort. I have been involved several times with newcomers wanting alligators removed from ponds. Um, the alligators were there first, and if you don't like alligators, don't live by water. There is a saying in Fla, "if you have water, there has been, there will be, or there already is an alligator in it".

Near to me is an ongoing attempt to control a gun range because the neighbors don't like the noise and they feel there is danger from random reckless shooting. Why did you move there, why not several miles away?

It irks me that people don't conform to the area and it's customs, rather they want to change things for themselves and their customs.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:52   #12
PhotoFeller

I think the first consideration should be "Will my shooting cause neighbors to be concerned about their safety?". If the law permits a backyard shooting range and close neighbors are ok with it, all the bases would be covered.

Being totally insensitive to how nearby-neighbors feel about shooting is inconsiderate, in my opinion. Its not the kind of attitude good neighborhoods are built on.

My elderly parents would never complain about someone shooting next door, but they would be frightened by it. Should their feelings be disregarded simply because the law allows a neighbor to have a shooting range on the adjoining property?

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 12-01-2014 at 10:14..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:38   #13
redsox

Backyard range

I, myself agree. I tell my neighbors when I intend to shoot. I often wait for all the cars around me to be gone. My intent is not to annoy the neighbors- however- some landowners whose family have been here since dirt feel they have some god given right to dictate how I use the land I paid for- not them Its MY land and and when others help me with my mortage I may take their opinion into consideration. I have noticed that even though the locals take your money for the land they feel they still retain some rights- Being a yankee and a carpetbagger may have something to do with it
Old 12-01-2014, 20:16   #14
plp

MY ex brother in law lives in a rural area outside Panama City, bought a 10 acre parcel with the specific intent of putting in a home shooting range. His neighbor to the east had bought about 3 months before him, put in a McMansion that was grossly overbuilt for the area, as there are trailers and RV setups within less than a mile. They were retired union Michigan state bureaucrats and quickly became a pain in as many asses as they could. They called the sheriff every time he started shooting, and repeatedly said someone was shooting at them, could hear bullets whistling past them and claimed he killed an imaginary pet dog nobody had ever seen. They were at every county commission meeting trying to get the area declared a gun free zone, even though it was explained repeatedly to them it was perfectly legal for BIL and others to shoot on their property. After 4 years the husband had a stroke and had to go into hospice care, the wife sold and moved.

The couple that bought the house were retired USMC, after a few months bulldozed the fence between them and BIL, and the two have put in the range from hell, half on his side, half on theirs. They shoot pretty much every day, BIL shoots on the weekend, and everybody is happy.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 20:26   #15
picanins

I love a happy ending!
Old 12-02-2014, 00:34   #16
MacDonald

VERY good point! I do not live in FL, but I know exactly what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotIt View Post
Generally the laws favor gun owners. The problem arrises with those moving into the state from other locations bringing their pushy, snobbish and egotistical attitudes with them. I guess the attitude is "hey, I'm here and my money is going to do the talking". So they make enough noise that other liberals take notice.

They move into an area and then want to change it to conform to what they feel is right for their comfort. I have been involved several times with newcomers wanting alligators removed from ponds. Um, the alligators were there first, and if you don't like alligators, don't live by water. There is a saying in Fla, "if you have water, there has been, there will be, or there already is an alligator in it".

Near to me is an ongoing attempt to control a gun range because the neighbors don't like the noise and they feel there is danger from random reckless shooting. Why did you move there, why not several miles away?

It irks me that people don't conform to the area and it's customs, rather they want to change things for themselves and their customs.
MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 18:00   #17
mjw357

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotIt View Post
Airports seem to attract these people as well.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:12   #18
ca survivor

if I hear gun shots in my neighborhood, it is for SD
Old 01-08-2015, 13:26   #19
crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by plp View Post
MY ex brother in law lives in a rural area outside Panama City, bought a 10 acre parcel with the specific intent of putting in a home shooting range. His neighbor to the east had bought about 3 months before him, put in a McMansion that was grossly overbuilt for the area, as there are trailers and RV setups within less than a mile. They were retired union Michigan state bureaucrats and quickly became a pain in as many asses as they could. They called the sheriff every time he started shooting, and repeatedly said someone was shooting at them, could hear bullets whistling past them and claimed he killed an imaginary pet dog nobody had ever seen. They were at every county commission meeting trying to get the area declared a gun free zone, even though it was explained repeatedly to them it was perfectly legal for BIL and others to shoot on their property. After 4 years the husband had a stroke and had to go into hospice care, the wife sold and moved.

The couple that bought the house were retired USMC, after a few months bulldozed the fence between them and BIL, and the two have put in the range from hell, half on his side, half on theirs. They shoot pretty much every day, BIL shoots on the weekend, and everybody is happy.
I'm living in Florida and currently searching for a large, rural lot where I can move and build both a house and a range. They don't have a free lot next door..? I'd love to live in a neighborhood where everyone has a backyard range hickok45 style.

Last edited by crockett; 01-08-2015 at 13:27..
crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 13:40   #20
Decutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett View Post
I'd love to live in a neighborhood where everyone has a backyard range hickok45 style.
You need Kentucky.
Decutor is offline   Reply With Quote