Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2011, 19:04   #1
theGreenAggie

Shoulder Strap on Recoil Pad / Shield

I hope this isn't a double post, but I did a quick search of the forums and didn't come up with anything.

I went out dove hunting this weekend, and there were a ton of birds. I shot ~115 shells in about 2 or 2.5 hours on Saturday night, ended up with a bruise, and then made it a lot worse on Sunday morning with another three boxes. Hunting, Fishing & Camping It's not all that soar now, but every single shot I took on Sunday morning was like taking one of those police bean bag shots in the shoulder. Perhaps I need a little more practice?

Anyways, until I get my accuracy up and shoot less shells while downing more birds, I'll need one of those strap on shoulder recoil pads.

It looks to me like they all work just fine for actual recoil reduction, but the common complaint is that it doesn't fit properly, or the strap rides up your arm pit, etc.

I'm about 5'11" and average-thin build, in case that makes a difference.

Does anyone use one? What brand / model do you like?
Old 10-10-2011, 18:49   #2
chevy01234

EVO SHIELD!!!

HIGHLY recommend them! I shot right at 3,700 twenty gauge shells over 3 days in Argentina last November and did not have a bruise on my arm using the evo shield! Under Armour type shirt with a custom molded recoil pad that you mold to your gun!

Worth their weight in gold if you need a recoil pad!

Last edited by chevy01234; 10-10-2011 at 18:50..
chevy01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:36   #3
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

I am sure that my Amigo Chevy knows what he is talking about, and that sounds good. Just to throw one more in the pot for ya, the "Limb Saver," is about like what Chevy is talking about. I can shoot all day with heavy cals, (now at 60 years young) and no problem-o. Just something else to check out with his suggestion as well. I know of women and little dried up looking dudes with no meat on the bones that shoot 458 win mags and such with no bruise or pain. As I said, I can shoot a heavy cal or let's say a 'hard kicker' about all day with that pad. Now ya got a couple options. Check 'em out.

Good luck

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:02   #4
noway

bingo on what Canyonman said.

We need to know what SG you have, is it fitted to you and the type & size load? 115rds shells for dove is not very hard hitter when compared to a heavy buck, or sabot or buck slug load.

A avg person could shoot that many shells thru a pump or semi, with no problems. My cousin can do that and she's 14 and maybe 120-130lbs in the saddle.But she has a youth shotgun that's the correct size for her. And she love to shot it, just can't hit a darn thing with it

A ill fitted shotgun and one that is not mounted correctly, are dangerous on the shooter.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:57   #5
theGreenAggie

It's a Remington 870, 12ga. The mount was partially the problem, but I don't think the full problem. I was fine all day Saturday shooting through those 5 boxes of shells, had a bruise at the end of the day but no discomfort. Sunday morning, after it had had some time to brew, was when the pain occured.

I picked up a generic Cabela's shoulder pad, and will eventually get a limbsaver stock for the gun, but that will probably wait until next year, since I should have plenty of padding in the winter for the ducks!

Thanks for the help!