SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2014, 20:28   #1
kalashluvr

Power pack for short power outages

Hi,

I only experience maybe 5-6 outages per year, and most are 1 hour or less. I have a large propane generator and a small Honda 2000i that runs on natural gas for those events that rarely happen so I can run appliances, lights, TV, etc, but the gap I'm trying to bridge right now are those small events that occur in the middle of the night and leave the house so quiet I can't sleep...yeah, that's crazy but it's what I'm used to. I like to run a fan to not only circulate air if it's summer time when there's an outage, but for the noise also. I would also like to be able to run a lamp or small TV in case the outage occurs when the sun is already down. I know some people run CPAP machines while camping, and in their home during power outages, and I'd like to have a power pack like that. I know it's a deep cycle battery, maybe gel, but what I'm concerned about is using a battery/inverter in my bedroom. I had an outage this week...first one in a while, and I used my Schumacher auto jumpstart device that has 120v plugs, and I ran my small fan for an hour on it. So, yes, it worked great, but it's a small battery and won't last all night if it came to that.

I'm looking for suggestions, and any info indicating which battery type I can safely use in my bedroom (won't be charging in bedroom). The primary decide I would want to use at this time is a fan that has .74 amps on the sticker so I think that's 88 watts according to my iPhone app.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-30-2014, 21:24   #2
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Goal Zero has some cool offerings.

They're VERY solid but expensive.

You could also make a system suitable for your needs pretty easily.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 21:28   #3
Carry16

Just a thought - you might look for a good used heavy duty UPS like they use on computers. They are basically a surge device, battery charger, battery and inverter all in one case. You might want a true sine wave unit if you're going to run a LCD or plasma TV.
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 21:47   #4
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

http://www.bannerpower.com/

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:50   #5
kalashluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionshooter10 View Post
Goal Zero has some cool offerings.

They're VERY solid but expensive.

You could also make a system suitable for your needs pretty easily.

Nice looking systems. Thanks!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 08-31-2014, 10:52   #6
kalashluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry16 View Post
Just a thought - you might look for a good used heavy duty UPS like they use on computers. They are basically a surge device, battery charger, battery and inverter all in one case. You might want a true sine wave unit if you're going to run a LCD or plasma TV.

This is true....I do have a quite large one for my home computing needs and they keep my router and other items up for a while. I need to figure out what kind of amp hours these have and how long they'd accommodate me.

Old 08-31-2014, 15:57   #7
ric0123

Even a big ups is going to have a fairly small battery. What you are looking for is this:

X power power pack 1500 by xantrex or one of the variants. I have the mid sized orange one and I've used it for years. The jump starters with the 120 outlets usually only have a 7 to 14 amp out battery in them. The big power packs are 50 amp hours.

It all depends on what you want to run and for how long. I think the 1500 was intended to run a fridge for short bursts.

Is what I have and I think it's about perfect. It's small enough to carry around easily. The amp capacity is decent and the price is good. It also has jump starter abilities and a little flashlight.

The 1500 I talk about above is nice but it is heavy as hell and a little expensive. It would be a good job site tool.

I personally think the goal zero stuff is massively over priced for what you get
Old 08-31-2014, 16:51   #8
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

For batteries, you can check out Optima. Sealed gel, deep cycle, no fumes, and so safe they can be shipped in the mail. I'm running one in my Jeep. Used to be leaving the lights on overnight meant a dead battery. Now it just means slightly slower cranking than usual.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 18:06   #9
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

I like the Xantrex systems. They are easily worked on. The GZ products are not

They're a better value but are not as rugged as the GZ products.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 21:46   #10
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This may be less than what you are looking for (but far more portable...) I essentially can't sleep without white noise (well, pink noise is more accurate). At home we have an air filter running in the bedroom that takes care of that. But when traveling or if the power is out, a cell phone white noise apps fills in.

There are a ton of small batteries that charge using micro USB just like many phones and have USB ports for plugging your phones into them (some have micro USB outs built right in)

Check Amazon.

One of the larger examples (very similar to one I have)

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 00:10   #11
Tom Kanik

I keep a few extra 12 volt batteries charged up, along with power inverters. Low wattage CFL bulbs or strings of LED Christmas lights provide plenty of light, and I can run a fan if needed, along with short viewings on a television. I keep a few crank-type radios (BayGen and Kaito) for radio listening.
Old 09-02-2014, 14:25   #12
cowboy1964

That's pretty cool. Decent run time. Does Walmart carry similar? Shipping is rather high.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 15:58   #13
daishi

If white noise is all you're looking for, you can try the Homedics sound machine. We used it for our daughter and it plugs in or uses 4 AAs. We had an outage for a few hours and it automatically switched to battery power, so she didn't notice a thing.

If you go with a UPS, make sure it doesn't beep when a loss of power is detected. The one for my computer makes it obvious when the power is out.

daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 17:19   #14
ric0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
That's pretty cool. Decent run time. Does Walmart carry similar? Shipping is rather high.

I have SOMETIMES seen them at stores like Cabellas and FRYS electronics. I also think I saw them at Batteries Plus. Look around at those types of stores, you may come across something.

I cant' recall where I got mine from. I want to say online someplace

They are also often branded Duracell. Same thing, just make sure you verify what the Amp Hour rating is so you get a good one.

I think they are excellent. During the last power outage instead of lighting candles all over my apt, I just clipped one of those $6 shop lights with a 15 watt CF bulb to the handle on the top of my pack and aimed it upwards. The draw was minimal and it lit up my entire apartment with no cords and I was able to pick it up and move it around, and still had 2 other outlets for my phone and laptop

I think it's an excellent option for the situation the OP is describing
Old 09-03-2014, 23:27   #15
cowboy1964

For general lighting I recommend these. Amazing run time on 4 D cells. Weeks and weeks at the lower setting (which is still bright enough to be very usable).

Last edited by cowboy1964; 09-03-2014 at 23:28..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 19:12   #16
kalashluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
For general lighting I recommend these. Amazing run time on 4 D cells. Weeks and weeks at the lower setting (which is still bright enough to be very usable).

Streamlight 44931 The Siege Compact Alkaline LED Hand Lantern - Lantern Flashlights - Amazon.com
I have two lanterns very similar to this. They're LED and run on 4D cells. Very handy tool to have.
Old 09-05-2014, 19:18   #17
kalashluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by daishi View Post
If white noise is all you're looking for, you can try the Homedics sound machine. We used it for our daughter and it plugs in or uses 4 AAs. We had an outage for a few hours and it automatically switched to battery power, so she didn't notice a thing.

If you go with a UPS, make sure it doesn't beep when a loss of power is detected. The one for my computer makes it obvious when the power is out.

I do need some air circulation in the summer, but I like this for other times.

On the UPS beep....my units upstairs on my computer and router/home surveillance cameras....mine do beep. I know they may have a silence button but I don't know if I can silence them for extended periods when I'm running on backup power. Will have to research.
Old 09-05-2014, 19:22   #18
Aceman

Marine Deep Cycle Battery Bank.
- Run silent, run deep!

Go check out Battery123.com

Last edited by Aceman; 09-05-2014 at 19:23..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 21:10   #19
Carry16

When I was looking into a solar install I found most recommended using golf cart batteries as opposed to "deep cycle" marine batteries. YMMV, but I would look into it before investing a lot in marine or automotive batteries.
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:24   #20
ric0123

I did a lot of research on batteries before a big project at work a couple months go.

Tons of people on this forum (myself included) talk about 'deep cycle marine' batteries, or more commonly 'Optima Blue Tops.' While they are good, they aren't great, nor the best. If you read the technical details of them, they have a limited DOD lifespan (depth of discharge), which means you can only charge and drain them so many times.

For example, you can drain a battery to 60% of it's capacity 500 times or 10% of it's capacity 50 times before it dies. Every wonder why if your car battery dies all the way it's never quite the same again? That's why.

Also, if real closely, their 'Amp Hour Capacity' on a Blue Top isn't really that good. People buy them because they are pretty easy to find. Cross check the Amp Hour rate (which is usually only about 80 to 120 amp hours) vs the price you pay for them.

The 'Golf Cart Batteries' while not sealed, have a much better DOD life and much higher Amp Hour Rate, but their main draw is that they are SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than anything else, probably because they are NOT Gel and thus, not sealed. However, they are pretty easy to find at Sams or places like that

If you're looking for the real deal, you need to look at batteries for home solar systems

http://centexbatteries.com/

Like LifeLine. They have a very high Amp Hour rate, a very high DOD lifespan, but they are heavy as HELL, expensive and you have to pay a ton of money to ship them. This is what I used in a law enforcement remote vehicle project at my last job.

I think people are stuck on Optima because most LE departments have a corporate deal with them (which was what I was told by the technical lead of the project) that and you can find them at Academy.

The main distributor for Lifeline is in Texas not far from me. I walked his warehouse and saw every size from 50 ah to 350 ah (forklift battery). He said that they are very popular in motor homes for people that go to camp grounds that don't allow generators after dark. I poured over gobs and gobs of technical data, temperature rating, charge rates, etc... and while they are expensive, I'm very comfortable with them for long term, heavy use.

Regardless of batteries, back to the OP's question, I still think that the Xantrex is the best deal for him. The size to price to weight to capacity rating seems to be right in line with his needs.

If I was putting together a larger version of that for home use that didn't have to be mobile, I'd strongly consider a lifeline battery on a float charger with a nice inverter as others have mentioned. I wouldn't be cheap but I'd be very comfortable with it

Last edited by ric0123; 09-06-2014 at 10:37..
ric0123 is offline   Reply With Quote