SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:27   #1
bcowen22001

Send a message via Yahoo to bcowen22001
Body armor/carriers/plates etc.

Armor should also be a priority in a grid down,civil unrest situation. you may not have care if shot or injured (no ems). I have a Condor plate carrier with soft armor level II in the front with 2 level III 10 x 12 steel plates and 6 x 6 side plates. These are not the most expensive or "best" on the market. Im not leo or military or using on a daily basis. It is just thrown together on a budget and better than not having any.

Besides if you have an ar with mags, you need something to hold your mags in while you shoot and move. a plate carrier is perfect for this purpose. so why not add some armor. so this is what i did.

anyone else have experiences or suggestions??

Last edited by bcowen22001; 03-02-2013 at 11:28..
bcowen22001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:45   #2
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcowen22001 View Post
Armor should also be a priority in a grid down,civil unrest situation. you may not have care if shot or injured (no ems). I have a Condor plate carrier with soft armor level II in the front with 2 level III 10 x 12 steel plates and 6 x 6 side plates. These are not the most expensive or "best" on the market. Im not leo or military or using on a daily basis. It is just thrown together on a budget and better than not having any.

Besides if you have an ar with mags, you need something to hold your mags in while you shoot and move. a plate carrier is perfect for this purpose. so why not add some armor. so this is what i did.

I am not sure I would call body armor a "priority". I would consider it more of a bonus item.

Last edited by FireForged; 03-02-2013 at 11:49..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 13:34   #3
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Who are you planning on shooting? Where are you planning on moving to?

Armor is cool, but unless you find yourself in a gunfight(which is fairly rare even during events like Katrina) it's hardly a nessesity.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:58   #4
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcowen22001 View Post

Seems like I have been saying this a lot lately...

Suggestions? Sell the plates you have and get some that have frag protection for a little more money.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:22   #5
ancient_serpent

I don't know that body armor is a priority during a SHTF. I think that after your basic finances, food/water storage, power stuff is taken care of, it's definitely nice to have.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31   #6
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I've got a level 3 plate carrier kevlar with level 4 ceramic plates
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:27   #7
ClydeG19

I've been trying to put together a medical kit for a traumatic injury in a post shtf situation today. As stated, advanced medical care could be hard to come by. The conclusion I'm coming to is don't get shot, stabbed, etc. Armor may be the way to go instead.

As also covered above, armor shouldn't take precedence over the basics.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54   #8
Mr.Pliskin

I have a few curved plates from thetargetman that Im about to coat in 1/4 inch of rhinoliner for spall protection. I figure for the money its hard to beat $100 multi-hit front and back plates. I have some Beez armor to put a pair in but bought a banshee carrier to hold some mags along with the pates for training.
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 16:17   #9
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pliskin View Post
I have a few curved plates from thetargetman that Im about to coat in 1/4 inch of rhinoliner for spall protection. I figure for the money its hard to beat $100 multi-hit front and back plates. I have some Beez armor to put a pair in but bought a banshee carrier to hold some mags along with the pates for training.
You gonna use the tuffgrip version?

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
Old 03-06-2013, 03:06   #10
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. A bullet in a ceramic plate is always better than the alternative.
Old 03-06-2013, 22:28   #11
bcowen22001

Send a message via Yahoo to bcowen22001
agreed!
bcowen22001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:53   #12
Mr.Pliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
You gonna use the tuffgrip version?
Looked at the can, its actually herculiner. I'm planning on pouring it into a "mold" over some steel mesh to 1/4 inch thickness, leaving a few inches mesh extra around the edges. After it cures I'll scuff and put a thick layer of liner on the steel for the mold to adhere to, then wrap the extra mesh around the edges and paint on a few layers of the liner around the sides and back. Hopefully it will prevent some of the separation issues the plates have.
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:10   #13
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pliskin View Post
Looked at the can, its actually herculiner. I'm planning on pouring it into a "mold" over some steel mesh to 1/4 inch thickness, leaving a few inches mesh extra around the edges. After it cures I'll scuff and put a thick layer of liner on the steel for the mold to adhere to, then wrap the extra mesh around the edges and paint on a few layers of the liner around the sides and back. Hopefully it will prevent some of the separation issues the plates have.
I'd be interested to hear how it turns.

Old 03-08-2013, 00:55   #14
DAIadvisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Who are you planning on shooting? Where are you planning on moving to?

Armor is cool, but unless you find yourself in a gunfight(which is fairly rare even during events like Katrina) it's hardly a nessesity.
Most people don't realize how much armor weighs - a full up kit with plates will come in close to 40 lbs. Every loaded mag is a pound, so add accordingly. Unless you're practicing carrying it, in SHTF situation it will do you more harm than good.
DAIadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 17:51   #15
98LS-WON

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIadvisor View Post
Most people don't realize how much armor weighs - a full up kit with plates will come in close to 40 lbs. Every loaded mag is a pound, so add accordingly. Unless you're practicing carrying it, in SHTF situation it will do you more harm than good.
No joke, I see threads about how guys need to get in better shape for SHTF. Try sprinting a few hundred meters caryying all that extra weight, throw youself on the ground and try to shoot a man sized target 200-300m away. Good luck w/ that.
98LS-WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29   #16
FireForged
Millenium #3936

In a crisis, I would rather bet my money on carrying more WATER and food rather than a plate carrier that looks kool but will likely be un-needed.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:59   #17
Raleigh Glocker

Keep in mind that body armor is designed to allow you to survive with damage that can be repaired by prompt medical attention. You can still be in a world of hurt even when shot by a caliber your armor is rated for.

Check out the study on injuries to LEOs shot while wearing body armor. Read in particular the results of animal studies.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/m...issue_id=82008

Also, I just put this up today. It shows a crazy amount of deformation of Level IIIA armor when hit with a moderate 40S&W load (Black Talon 180gr). Bottom line- even with body armor, many times you are still likely to need serious medical care in order to ensure your long term survival. Factor this into your calculation of the value of body armor when you have no access to medical care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Raleigh Glocker; 03-18-2013 at 11:00..
Raleigh Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:33   #18
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
As long as the round doesn't penetrate, your likely not going to get much more than moderate brusing.

Professionally, I know close to 20 people who have been hit in either OIF or OEF.
Non penetrating vest hits didn't even take them off work the next day.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 14:50   #19
expatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
As long as the round doesn't penetrate, your likely not going to get much more than moderate brusing.

Professionally, I know close to 20 people who have been hit in either OIF or OEF.
Non penetrating vest hits didn't even take them off work the next day.
I took a 7.62X54 mm to my chest plate outside of Sadr City. I am a fan of body armor
Old 03-21-2013, 06:35   #20
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatman View Post
I took a 7.62X54 mm to my chest plate outside of Sadr City. I am a fan of body armor

Wow,,,,I'll bet that took the air out of you for a few minutes.

That is a hell of a hit.

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote