Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-10-2014, 17:56   #1
Mountainview

Eberlestock

Which of their packs come with a frame? How comfortable are they?
Mountainview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 20:23   #2
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Most of their packs have frames and I find them all to be very comfortable.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 21:37   #3
Mountainview

Do the Warhammer and Just One have frames? Does a small pack with the zip attachments carry as well as the larger selections?

Last edited by Mountainview; 08-10-2014 at 21:40..
Old 08-11-2014, 09:36   #4
Mountain10mm

They are good packs, but HEAVY. I have one of their hunting packs that weighs 9 pounds empty. It's a comfortable pack and very high quality, but I've switched to North Face packs if that says anything. North Face isn't quite as heavy duty, but costs less, and weights less than half of what a Eberlestock weighs.
Mountain10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:41   #5
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainview View Post
Do the Warhammer and Just One have frames? Does a small pack with the zip attachments carry as well as the larger selections?
The Warhammer has an Alice frame but is built in such a way that it blows the military Alice packs out of the water.

I'm not sure about the Just One packs.

I have the Little Brother that zips into the Warhammer or Skycrane. It does not have a frame but makes a great day pack and carries very well with the reduced weight.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
Old 08-11-2014, 21:33   #6
Mountainview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm View Post
They are good packs, but HEAVY. I have one of their hunting packs that weighs 9 pounds empty. It's a comfortable pack and very high quality, but I've switched to North Face packs if that says anything. North Face isn't quite as heavy duty, but costs less, and weights less than half of what a Eberlestock weighs.
North Face makes quality gear. It's so hard starting out knowing what type of bag to purchase. I want to get something quality, yet I also don't want to have to do this again not to far down the line. Some recommendations are easy to find in stores, but many others aren't.

It's hard knowing if it's better to buy one big North Face or other outdoor brand offering, a higher volume Eberlestock, or a smaller Eberlestock like Acitonshooter10 spoke of. The primary concern with a small Eberlestock is the balance, comfort, and strength with those added selections.

Last edited by Mountainview; 08-11-2014 at 21:40..
Old 08-12-2014, 10:02   #7
Mountain10mm

I think backpacks are like holsters, there's never perfect one. I have a giant tupperware container full of holsters and am not far behind with backpacks. I've tried multiple brands, types. My latest take on hunting specific packs is that they are solution to a nonexistent problem save for maybe built-in rifle/bow supports. They are overly heavy so they can be used at carrying an elk out of the woods, but really they are only a compromise between a real frame pack and a comfortable day pack. They are not really good at either purpose and my most recent take on it is wear a comfortable day pack and go back to the truck and get a frame pack if I shoot something.
Mountain10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:52   #8
Mountainview

You are probably correct in that there is no one perfect pack. When I look at the cost of an Eberlestock it needs to be close the first time. One of their sales representatives pointed me towards the Terminator. Four thousand cubic inches for four hundred dollars is expensive, but the 67 liters sounds about right for size.
Old 08-12-2014, 14:16   #9
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
They are not really good at either purpose and my most recent take on it is wear a comfortable day pack and go back to the truck and get a frame pack if I shoot something.
This is what I've settled on, an expandable day pack that's not too large for still hunting through thick spruce-fir woods, and a sturdy frame pack for packing meat.

My day pack is heavy, ~18-25 lbs. loaded because it has to carry enough clothes, food and water for me to survive an unexpected night out in severe weather.

I'm not interested in packs that can carry a rifle. I want it in my hands or slung on my shoulder for quick use. Very often, success hinges on being able to make a good shot very quickly.

I still use a Crooked Horn Outfitters Master Guide Pack that's close to 20 yrs old, and a Kelty external frame pack that's 40 years old. Both are quality US made with hundreds of backcountry miles on them, and no failures. The Crooked Horn day pack is heavy with tough cloth and I keep looking for something lighter, but it's stood the test of rough use.

Sometimes I'll carry a lighter day pack or fanny pack for shorter trips in warmer weather, but as a solo hunter I usually opt for the security of more gear in an expandable day pack. With an elk down and dressed, I carry the heart back to camp, and return the next morning with the frame pack, or horses and mules.

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:50   #10
Mountainview

Since when do they sell sleeping bags? Their Ultralight looks intriguing.

Is there a manufacture who falls in the middle of tough as one could need, but lighter and cost effective with a good frame?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:46   #11
Mountainview

Gregory Baltoro 65
http://www.backcountry.com/gregory-b...RE0103-ELEYL-S

Would this pack be the Goldilocks between overly bulky and not enough?
Old 08-14-2014, 18:54   #12
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
You can get heavy gear that lasts forever or light gear that doesn't.

That's the trade-off.

I'd take any of my Eberlestock packs anywhere in the world on any trip for any length of time without blinking an eye. That's how bombproof they are.
George Washington
Old 08-14-2014, 20:29   #13
Mountainview

As a follow up to that, actionshooter10, does one need something which lasts forever for a prep bag? In most ways I'm with you because on the go your bag is holding your life, but the weight is almost double of that of other bags on the market. It's a difficult choice to make.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:13   #14
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
As a follow up to that, actionshooter10, does one need something which lasts forever for a prep bag? In most ways I'm with you because on the go your bag is holding your life, but the weight is almost double of that of other bags on the market. It's a difficult choice to make.
IMO, yes.

I'm in the "buy once, cry once" camp.

I HATE buying replacements because I skimped on quality the first time I bought and learned this lesson early in life.

That said, it depends on you. If you're someone who doesn't use their gear much, you may not need something like an Eberlestock.

I take my gear everywhere and am sometimes less than gentle with it. I want kit that will take everything I throw at it and laugh. Eberlestock is that type of gear.
George Washington
Old 08-27-2014, 19:35   #15
IvanVic

Quote:
Which of their packs come with a frame?
That information is available on their website.
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 21:41   #16
Mountainview

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanVic View Post
That information is available on their website.
Appreciate the help If I could have found it there easily I wouldn't have asked.