Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:23   #1
glockandgroovin'
Devil Dog

Send a message via Yahoo to glockandgroovin'
Medical/first aid kit.

It is time for me to upgrade my first aid kit. Curious as to what all of you are using.
.40 S&W#60

Kimber is the gun that you show to your friends,Glock is the gun that you show to your enemies.
glockandgroovin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:37   #2
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

too expansive request. what do you have, and others can make suggestions?

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:41   #3
pmcjury

What is the first aid kit for? I have a few different ones that range from one I keep for the kids cuts and Scraps, to one that I take hunting that had meds large wounds dressings, tourniquets and the like.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:03   #4
mac66
Huge Member

I just picked up a handful of surplus military IFAKs. These things include an Israeli bandage, CAT (tourniquet), airway, gloves, tape, field dressing etc. They will be the bases for my trauma kits. These cost the Gov't $265/each but they are upgrading so they dumped these on the surplus market. Most of the ones I got were still in the plastic bags. I got mine from a friend who works in an army surplus store pretty cheap. I've not seen them as cheap anywhere else. However, if you are looking for trauma kits this is a good place to start. The tourniquet alone cost more than I paid for the whole kit which also happens to comes in a Molle 100 rnd SAW pouch.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

I got mine from the actual store but they also sell online at a decent price...I don't think you could put one together for that price.

http://www.joesarmynavyonline.com/Pr...uctCode=141061

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 12-21-2014 at 09:18..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:51   #5
John Rambo
Raven

I never really saw the point behind having a camouflaged first-aid kid, nor did I ever feel comfortable with a soft-sided kit.

I got one of these (Survivor Dry Box):

And I put that silver reflective tape on all sides of it to mark it as a first aid kit even in the dark.

Its just big enough to hold everything I need. As for whats in it? The kit's contents carry depending on what its used for. Diving, camping, hunting, hiking, a weekend out in the country. Theres really no one-size-fits-all solution. The key is to think objectively. Don't sit down and think, "Gee, what should I buy in case the zombies rise from the ground armed with AK47s, tee hee!" Just consider the realistic risks associated with your activity and pack for them. And don't pack things you don't know how to use, you'll do no good with those items.

For instance, when I'm packing for diving I'll include an eye dropper with a 50/50 alcohol/vinegar mix in it, baking soda in a large plastic bag, and motion sickness pills. On land? No use for those (except the motion sickness pills, which are actually nothing more than fancy anti-histamines)

Last edited by John Rambo; 12-21-2014 at 09:59..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:19   #6
bdcochran

people want lists

I am not going to give you a list. You are going to think.

1. You live in Virginia. You work with propane and accessories.

2. Think about the occupation. Do you have a first aid kit in the vehicle with burn items.
3. You live in an area of ice and dog gone black ice. There are car accidents. A blanket should be with a kit in the car.
4. Think of a surgery - pilonoidal cyst, torn rotator cuff, broken arm, deep cut. Then think of the items needed for aftercare. Your super dupper Walmart is not going to be open and sell you the bandages/medicines for the long haul.
5. If you aren't going to do field surgery (and you are not a qualified doctor) on the side of Mount Hood, think of the most common things - torn finger nail, blister on the heel, cut forearm. When you are all blistered up, you are going on no bug out with a 40 pound pack.
6. The only important developments in the last 10 years that I recall are the Israeli bandage and the discovery that potato based (not bovine based) blood stop will stop serious bleeding. Get some.
7. you can't have enough astringints. Yes, you can get 1.75 liter plastic (not glass) bottles of Vodka at the grocery store on sale for under $10 plus tax.
8. antibacterial ointments - even if you eventually throw them out unused.
9. A throwaway comment on superglue. Ok. I used it on a serious cut. Went to Kaiser. Told it was the worst thing I could have done. Cuts are supposed to heal from the inside out. Then discovered that the proper medicine was about $20-$25 a unit - rare- and I bought some.
10. refrigerate your medicines and even freeze some of them.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:23   #7
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Learn how ta use the gear.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:14   #8
Kentguy

GlockandGroovin',

For my EDC/car First Aid Kit, I started out by buying the "Delux" version and just took out and added what made more practical sense to me. The bag expands has plenty of room for whatever you deem necessary.

http://www.safetyed.org/all-purposef...dkit97pcs.aspx

It is a soft bag (strong material) 8.5" x 7" very easy to transport - can be stuffed into a bug-out bag and you'll be good to go as well.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:18   #9
mac66
Huge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
I never really saw the point behind having a camouflaged first-aid kid, nor did I ever feel comfortable with a soft-sided kit.)
Well gee, I wonder if you could take that IFAK out of the soft camo case and put it in an orange box? Or even stick it with the rest of your First Aid stuff? Why indeed you can.

You could even sew big red or orange or reflective crosses on it if you wanted to or paint it red or orange even. The point is that they are a good way to start a trauma kit which, regardless of what you do, everyone should have in addition to a regular FAK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:43   #10
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Well gee, I wonder if you could take that IFAK out of the soft camo case and put it in an orange box? Or even stick it with the rest of your First Aid stuff? Why indeed you can.

You could even sew big red or orange or reflective crosses on it if you wanted to or paint it red or orange even. The point is that they are a good way to start a trauma kit which, regardless of what you do, everyone should have in addition to a regular FAK.
I wasn't specifically referencing your choice, just a coincidence that you had posted previously. When I'm scrambling for first aid, high visibility saves seconds. Seconds save lives.

With that said, if an airway tube, a compression bandage, and a few other misc wound dressings are things that you foresee yourself needing, then its appropriate to start a first aid kit with them. Wound dressings generally go in every kit, but I'd be pretty cautious about starting out with an airway tube - that would make things much worse if you aren't trained with it.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:47   #11
glockandgroovin'
Devil Dog

Send a message via Yahoo to glockandgroovin'
Currently,all I have is your standard kit that includes bandages,splint ,gauze,burn creme,disinfectant wash,etc.I'm looking for a good trauma kit that can cover a multitude of injuries,such as a GSW or other serious blood loss incident.I am aware that the list is quite expansive but i would like a good starting point. Thank you for all the replies thus far.
.40 S&W#60

Kimber is the gun that you show to your friends,Glock is the gun that you show to your enemies.
glockandgroovin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:53   #12
itstime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
I just picked up a handful of surplus military IFAKs. These things include an Israeli bandage, CAT (tourniquet), airway, gloves, tape, field dressing etc. They will be the bases for my trauma kits. These cost the Gov't $265/each but they are upgrading so they dumped these on the surplus market. Most of the ones I got were still in the plastic bags. I got mine from a friend who works in an army surplus store pretty cheap. I've not seen them as cheap anywhere else. However, if you are looking for trauma kits this is a good place to start. The tourniquet alone cost more than I paid for the whole kit which also happens to comes in a Molle 100 rnd SAW pouch.

I got mine from the actual store but they also sell online at a decent price...I don't think you could put one together for that price.

http://www.joesarmynavyonline.com/Pr...uctCode=141061

That's a great price there. I'm going to order. Thanks.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 18:57   #13
rj1939

Nice find..........I ordered a couple more.

A year or two ago I ran across refills for IFAK shrink wrapped and they were twenty dollars

No matter how cynical I get, I can't seem to keep up
rj1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:34   #14
mac66
Huge Member

In that those IFAKs were designed to be carried in a war, they are a good start on a trauma kit if not for the tourniquet and Israeli bandage alone. I carry the inner pack of one of them in my range bag. If you shoot or hunt you should probably have a trauma kit to supplement your regular FAK.

In that we are not using these in a war, one might want to add a couple extra PPEs like a face mask, another pair of gloves, alcohol wipes, etc.

In addition to the above experts recommend adding a chest seal for sucking chest wounds (HALO seals are highly recommended), decompression needle, Quick Clot gauze and trauma shears.

Trauma shears are a handy and cheap addition to any and all FAKs. Obviously one should be trained before treating sucking chest wounds and sticking a needle into someone's chest. The Quick Clot is a no brainer. One should also note that even if you don't know how to use the above stuff, there may be someone around who does so it is good to have.

One last comment...if you carry a trauma kit inside your regular FAK or another bag you might want to label it as a trauma kit. It saves someone from having to look around for it. I also recommend putting a label or tag on the outside of your FAK or bag that says "Trauma Kit Enclosed".

Last edited by mac66; 12-22-2014 at 09:47..
Old 12-22-2014, 21:40   #15
bstock

Awesome, thanks for the heads up on that kit. Ordered two and I will see what needs replaced when it comes in and add what i need to. Chinook Medical always has good prices on kits and supplies too.

bstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:38   #16
mac66
Huge Member

Just a note on FAKs.

You can't have enough dressings in a FAK. Whatever else you do, load up on bandages (gauze pads, gauze wrap etc, etc).

Last edited by mac66; 12-26-2014 at 09:10..
Old 12-25-2014, 00:33   #17
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

I layer my IFAK's. IN my sport coat, I carry a small flat bandaid box, which is slightly larger than a deck of cards, that has some bandaids, gauze pads, rubber tubing and some OTC drugs like advil, immodium, chapstick and some cold pills. I also have some small packs of neosporin and alcohol wipes.

In my backpack that has my tablet and other work gear, I carry 2x CAT Tqt, Blood clot medium, compression dressings (like the Israeli ones), a prepackaged "

I also carry a Stomp Kit in my truck that has everything from basic trauma, suturing, a C collar, BP cuff, airways and a small surgical kit. It also has lots and lots of expendables, bandages, tape gloves and the like.

I put rolaids, ibuprofen and Imodium in everything, no matter how small

Last edited by fasteddie565; 12-25-2014 at 00:43..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote