GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:09   #1
hammerkill

What damage would a 9.0 New Madrid earthquake do?

I'm guessing that would be teotUSawki. Sooner or later it is gonna blow. How could you even prep for something like that? (if you are anywhere near it)
hammerkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:18   #2
Aceman

9.0 = more than we can handle, just like Cat 5 hurricanes.

But don't let that stop you from living on the fault....because it's cheaper to rebuild than to systematically deliberately move.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:37   #3
SFCSMITH(RET)

We are about 300 miles from it. 9.0 is a number that is not really "prepable".. And thankfully is way higher than any of the estimates of what has happened before from that fault system. (8.0 estimated) The richter scale is not linear.. so it's a LONG way from 8.0 to 9.0..

We are ready for most stuff that *can* happen.... But, pole reversal, 747 crash landing on to the house, Noah's flood, alien invasion, Project Blue/Captain Trips, etc, etc, just going to have to survive it first, go on about your day as best you can second..
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:44   #4
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Massive.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:45   #5
Stevekozak
Returning video

Alot. Moving away from the fault line, as Aceman suggests, is not quite as simple as it sounds. When this thing goes again, it is going to have a far reaching effect. I read up on the last time extensively, and with today's structures and populations, it is going to be devastating. For a good fictional look at possibilities, read The Rift by Walter Williams.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:57   #6
bdcochran

The most reliable source of information is, of course, Alex Jones. He, of course, published an article on December 3, 2012 revealing that a 9.0 is imminent. This is coincidental to this new topic appearing on this website.

Here is a youtube link so that you can review 42 purported failed predictions.

Remember:

1. anything is possible in this world;
2. if something bad happens, it is George Bush's fault; and,
3. when shtf, you can always curl up into a ball and die in a corner like many people will chose to do.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:47   #7
rwrjr

In my opinion the biggest potential lingering problem with a very large magnitude New Madrid quake could be the disruption of river traffic. Tons of goods are moved on the rivers in that area daily. The the rivers were no longer navigable this would create lasting shortages and much higher prices.

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:02   #8
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrjr View Post
In my opinion the biggest potential lingering problem with a very large magnitude New Madrid quake could be the disruption of river traffic. Tons of goods are moved on the rivers in that area daily. The the rivers were no longer navigable this would create lasting shortages and much higher prices.
You mean as opposed to the earth opening up and swallowing St. Louis, Memphis or splitting the country in half?

BTW, I acknowledge that it could happen, sometime in the next thousand years so I am not losing sleep over it.

Last edited by mac66; 12-14-2012 at 08:04..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14   #9
quake

Not just traffic 'on' the river, but across it as well. I don't see many Mississippi river bridges within a lot of miles, surviving anything near an 8.0, much less a 9.0 earthquake on the new madrid. Trucks, trains, all subject to major re-routing way up- or down-river to cross.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36   #10
rwrjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
You mean as opposed to the earth opening up and swallowing St. Louis, Memphis or splitting the country in half?
Yes that's exactly what I mean. Localized damage will be severe for people near the epicenter but the disruption to the movement of goods through that area will be felt by the entire nation and for an extended period of time.

And I agree with you, I don't lose any sleep over it either. It's right up there with getting hit by a large asteroid. Not a darn thing I can do about it and not very likely in my lifetime.

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner

Last edited by rwrjr; 12-14-2012 at 08:38..
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:35   #11
RonaldBeal

Compounding disaster

The problem with the New Madrid fault, and the Mississippi River is that so much vulnerable infrastructure goes through it. While local devastation would be tremendous, the National impact would be even larger.
19 major natural gas pipelines cross the fault zone
7 major crude oil pipelines also cross the fault zone.
A major quake, would stop most cross country interstate travel, and rail travel... affecting the "Just In Time" delivery systems that most U.S. commerce runs on. Compound that with fuel and Nat Gas shortages and you have a National Disaster that makes Katrina pale in comparison.
HERE is an informative link

RB
RonaldBeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:06   #12
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Cataclysmic devastation likely. Problem is that the New Madrid is well overdue to pop. I'm about 300 miles away, but still it'd be a lot of damage. I was out hunting in November and felt the ground move from a 4.3 mag quake that hit eastern Ky, and that's well over 100 miles away.

I also think a massive 9-10 magnitude EQ in California could be big enough to cause a chain reaction resulting in New Madrid letting loose. Interestingly, the US Navy has a map of what appears to be the Great Lakes spilled out into the central US, which is a possibility, and I will say it's not just the Navy that has considered this possible.
Old 12-15-2012, 18:40   #13
rj1939

I'm forty miles from the north end of the NM fault, Washington DC worries me more.

No matter how cynical I get, I can't seem to keep up
rj1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16   #14
hammerkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldBeal View Post
The problem with the New Madrid fault, and the Mississippi River is that so much vulnerable infrastructure goes through it. While local devastation would be tremendous, the National impact would be even larger.
19 major natural gas pipelines cross the fault zone
7 major crude oil pipelines also cross the fault zone.
A major quake, would stop most cross country interstate travel, and rail travel... affecting the "Just In Time" delivery systems that most U.S. commerce runs on. Compound that with fuel and Nat Gas shortages and you have a National Disaster that makes Katrina pale in comparison.
HERE is an informative link

RB

After reading that link i think I would rather be dead then try to survive after "the big one".
hammerkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:39   #15
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
You mean as opposed to the earth opening up and swallowing St. Louis,...
Every cloud does have a silver lining.
That is one....
Old 12-16-2012, 17:40   #16
powderhead

It would drop every bridge crossing every major river for 3 or 4 hundred miles. Think about that one for a minute.
powderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 18:36   #17
bdcochran

ok

There are 221 bridges that cross the Mississippi River.
Old 12-16-2012, 18:39   #18
glock_19guy1983

If it hits southern California, all effects would be positive.
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
glock_19guy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 18:54   #19
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) View Post
We are about 300 miles from it. 9.0 is a number that is not really "prepable".. And thankfully is way higher than any of the estimates of what has happened before from that fault system. (8.0 estimated) The richter scale is not linear.. so it's a LONG way from 8.0 to 9.0...

This................

A 9.0 would almost level everything within a hundred miles and maybe even change the course of major rivers. If you have seen the damage done by 7.0-7.8 in areas the build for earthquakes you would realize what would happen in a area that does not build for earthquakes.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 15:21   #20
GRIMLET
Deceased

I can think of a few large cities being in serious trouble. We dont build buildings for earthquakes on this side of the continent, do we?
New Orleans could see a tsunami like event possibly. The levee system would be useless, my guess.
Tons of evacuees going out in all directions, fires, crime, lack of information and lack of available resources from the government would be my guess. It would not be the end of the US. It would be a certain change for all of us.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 15:33   #21
bdcochran

Two kinds of problems in the world - the kind you can do something about and the kind you can't do anything about. You focus on the first. The most difficult problems are: pushing away from the table; ruthlessly repairing/getting rid of things that don't work; and learning new skills.

Maybe the New Madrid Fault problem is why FEMA has stockpiled 500,000 coffins in the area.http://beforeitsnews.com/conspiracy-...y-2445300.html
Old 12-17-2012, 17:55   #22
Catshooter

Here in America when we brace a structure for seismic resistance, 7.5 is as high as we normally go.

The only structure that would still be standing after a 9.0 would be there from pure, unadulterated luck.

Being in the air is your best prep for a niner.

Cat
Old 12-17-2012, 17:57   #23
R_W

The devastation would be worse than the EMP or coronal ejection projections. If it hits in the winter, figure 90% casualty rate, myself included.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 18:16   #24
Jake514

Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
I have inspected several very large, tall buildings in St. Louis and you would be surprised how many need seismic bracing on piping, check valves installed on fuel lines in case they rupture, walls with no earthquake bracing, suspended ceilings in offices with the lay-in 2'X4' and 2'x2' florescent light not independently supported, etc. They are not prepared for any earthquake.

I seldom see significant earthquake building preparation in any city on fault lines, including LA. The new building codes usually only build to a much lower severity quake.

Last edited by Jake514; 12-28-2012 at 18:20..
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 18:19   #25
NOGIBJJ

PRP would be wiped out.

V
NOGIBJJ is offline   Reply With Quote