Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:36   #1
Mountain10mm

Pocket knife for the beach

Not many people in the knife room, so I thought I'd post here.

I'm looking for a "beach" pocket knife, something that can go in and out of the surf, is relatively light weight, can be taken diving (salt and fresh water), and strong enough to open an oyster.

I've have several of the H1 SpyderCo knives and one N680 Benchmade - all advertised as suitable for the ocean environment. After a week's worth of diving in Mexico, the SpyderCo's showed no rust, no wear. The much stronger and better built, Benchmade was held it's own, but showed signs of rust on the axis lock, liners, and screws (the non-N680 steel parts). I also don't like the blunt tip of the Benchmade 111H20.

I've been to SpyderCo's factory in Golden, CO and played with everything they have to offer. Their H1 steel is excellent for this purpose, but the knives they put their H1 blades in are 100% plastic, there are no steel liners, not even a partial steel liner. I doubt the SpyderCo knives can be torqued enough to open a small clam let alone an oyster without breaking.

What do you guys carry on the beach...?
Mountain10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:36   #2
John Rambo
Raven

A dive knife.

Forget everything you know about crappy land knives and go to a dive shop. Or: http://www.leisurepro.com/ (They carry some land knives there. For the most part, disregard them.)

Last edited by John Rambo; 11-13-2014 at 12:37..
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 13:05   #3
Mountain10mm

Thanks for the reply Rambo. I'm not opposed to a dive knife, but I definitely want a folding knife (fixed blade conversation is for another time). My experience with dive knives has been that they are gimmick knives that serve little purpose other than a mini-crow bar. Not like I'm trying to spend unnecessary money, but I can't understand how a $32 dive knife has an quality to it. Gosh a decent land folder costs $100, I would expect to pay at least that for something capable of resisting salt water with good steel qualities.

Titanium knives looks appealing (very $), but not sure how they hold an edge or sharpen. Not even sure if a titanium folder exists.
Old 11-13-2014, 13:30   #4
eb07
Sharkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm View Post
Thanks for the reply Rambo. I'm not opposed to a dive knife, but I definitely want a folding knife (fixed blade conversation is for another time). My experience with dive knives has been that they are gimmick knives that serve little purpose other than a mini-crow bar. Not like I'm trying to spend unnecessary money, but I can't understand how a $32 dive knife has an quality to it. Gosh a decent land folder costs $100, I would expect to pay at least that for something capable of resisting salt water with good steel qualities.

Titanium knives looks appealing (very $), but not sure how they hold an edge or sharpen. Not even sure if a titanium folder exists.
See below

Last edited by eb07; 11-13-2014 at 13:36..
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 13:34   #5
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:

Yep, dive knives are made to act as a prybar if needed. Sounds like you'd want that if you were prying open aquatic wildlife. As far as folding...well thats a whole different animal. My experience has been limited to fixed blades.
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 21:34   #7
Mountain10mm

EB07 that looks interesting. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:38   #8
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

I carry a Spyderco Salt. I don't use folders to bust open oysters. I use an oyster knife for that.

I think you have already found the best knife going for working in or around water.

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 11-14-2014 at 07:41..
syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 20:00   #9
Bill1954

I use a Victorinox Tinker. It's all stainless has two flat tip screwdrivers and a short and long blade. The short blade is really great for clam shells. Just my two cents.
Old 11-14-2014, 20:18   #10
Dave514

Old 11-29-2014, 08:25   #11
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1954 View Post
I use a Victorinox Tinker. It's all stainless has two flat tip screwdrivers and a short and long blade. The short blade is really great for clam shells. Just my two cents.
Its the beach. You forgot the best tool. The bottle opener.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:41   #12
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I went to a dive shop many years ago and bought a generic folding dive knife with hook for cutting fishing lines.

It worked out very well. It fits in the pocket of the dive vest and stays there. I pull it out and wash it off when I am finished with my dive. I did some prying with it, but it is not for prying.

If you want something for prying, you need a full tang knife.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:51   #13
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
Its the beach. You forgot the best tool. The bottle opener.
Waiting until Spyderco waves the Salts, perhaps that will open bottles.

"I was part of a 10-person team at the human genome project that weaponized diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made..."
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:05   #14
CaptMike

Since I'm in Murder Beach SC I'll tell you... There's about umpteen Different Grades/Types of Stainless Steel.

In my left front pocket, I have a Gerber tool. If I use it on the boat, I have to spray it with WD40 cause It Will RUST. Corrosion Eats stuff inside the house here (if you are near the water).

330 has 34-37% Nickel.

Even with the "Light" rust on the Gerber tool, it's what I'd suggest.
CaptMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:06   #15
engineer151515

I have not tried your service with this knife but it might be worth looking at.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/KA5551

KA-BAR 5551 FIN Folding Frame Lock 2.75" Combo Edge Drop Point Blade

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Stainless construction. Wide blade. A very flat assembly - I like that in a pocket knife. And at it's price level, would be inexpensive to try. I bought a few for Christmas gifts.

ETA - I haven't tried to open oysters with it. . . yet.

Last edited by engineer151515; 11-29-2014 at 11:12..
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 13:14   #16
Aceman

Wow - cool question.

as mentioned - I would go dive knife.

That said -

I often Snorkel with my Spyderco Native III.. Be sure to thoroughly rinse after salt water.

My other beach knife is a Swiss Spartan/Climber. Corkscrew/bottle opener is essential.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:14   #17
Tom Kanik

Mission knives have titanium blades that are impervious to saltwater; supposedly liked by many Navy SEALS.
Old 11-30-2014, 19:48   #18
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Not many people in the knife room, so I thought I'd post here.

I'm looking for a "beach" pocket knife, something that can go in and out of the surf, is relatively light weight, can be taken diving (salt and fresh water), and strong enough to open an oyster.

I've have several of the H1 SpyderCo knives and one N680 Benchmade - all advertised as suitable for the ocean environment. After a week's worth of diving in Mexico, the SpyderCo's showed no rust, no wear. The much stronger and better built, Benchmade was held it's own, but showed signs of rust on the axis lock, liners, and screws (the non-N680 steel parts). I also don't like the blunt tip of the Benchmade 111H20.

I've been to SpyderCo's factory in Golden, CO and played with everything they have to offer. Their H1 steel is excellent for this purpose, but the knives they put their H1 blades in are 100% plastic, there are no steel liners, not even a partial steel liner. I doubt the SpyderCo knives can be torqued enough to open a small clam let alone an oyster without breaking.

What do you guys carry on the beach...?
Spyderco makes, or made, a fixed blade version of the salt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 20:01   #19
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Yep, dive knives are made to act as a prybar if needed...
Not the cute little broken-off-steak-knife DIR knives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 11-30-2014, 20:10   #20
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

You could always take a grip with your strong hand thumb over the thumb hole of the Salt, and the palm of your hand. Like so: Survival/Preparedness Forum