Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:21   #1
Mountainview

Backpacking boots

What are the best leather backpacking boots without EVA? While comfortable I've read EVA wears down quicker over time.
Mountainview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:43   #2
20South

Rocky S2V is my favorite non GTX boot. LaSportiva or Asolo otherwise. Although I believe the Asolo use EVA. Hundreds and hundreds of hard miles on those Rocky's.

Sorry - just realized you were looking for Leather uppers.

Last edited by 20South; 07-07-2014 at 10:44..
20South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:11   #3
Mountainview

I just thought leather would hold up better, but maybe I'm old school. I will Google the Rocky S2V boots now. Thank you!

It looks like there are quite a few kinds. Which have you had the most luck with?

Last edited by Mountainview; 07-07-2014 at 12:13..
Old 07-07-2014, 13:45   #4
20South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainview View Post
I just thought leather would hold up better, but maybe I'm old school. I will Google the Rocky S2V boots now. Thank you!

It looks like there are quite a few kinds. Which have you had the most luck with?
These are the boots I have - the standard vented boot.
http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-mens...00104_color=CQ

I've done just about everything in these 2 14ers, countless hiking trips, obstacle course mud run types of events, etc. I put them away in October/November here in Ohio and go to a more traditional GTX boot then. For all of the things I use those Rocky's for, I need the boot to be able get water out more so then preventing water from getting in. The drains work great and the screens really do a nice job at keeping out sand and silt if you find yourself in a creek. I found I needed them a half size bigger then my running shoes.
Old 07-07-2014, 13:47   #5
20South

I am sure there are others with great experiences with leather boots (Danners seem to be popular) but I've never gone that route. Boots become a personal thing - or at least they have with me. There may be better options out there, but I trust what I know.
Old 07-07-2014, 14:28   #6
Mountainview

Amazon with free return shipping

Reviews are very positive
Old 07-07-2014, 15:58   #7
20South

I went coyote. I'm sure others will be along with some more opinions.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:31   #8
Mountainview

Boots are in transit with free return shipping, but I welcome other choices.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:32   #9
20South

Quote:
Boots are in transit with free return shipping, but I welcome other choices.
I think you made a great decision. Congrats!
Old 08-23-2014, 21:33   #10
Mountainview

I had to send the Rocky boots back and couldn't get size right. I have it narrowed down, but I'm planning to wait until Amazon has free return shipping.

Between Danner and Redwing which would fit a slightly wider foot? I'm not a full on E, but it's close.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:33   #11
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Danner Mountain Hiker Light II's. With a good pair of lightweight wool socks and liners I don't get so much as a hot spot.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

http://www.backpacker.com/gear-revie...-ii/gear/16111

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 14:52   #12
Mountainview

That is the exact model in my Amazon Wish List. How are they in the winter? In the pictures the side panel appears to be ventilation. Will that wear out?

Would they hold up as work boots if pressed into service?

Sorry, the link is for the Mountain Light II. You own the Hiker Light II, right?

Last edited by Mountainview; 08-24-2014 at 14:54..
Old 08-24-2014, 16:15   #13
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

The ones I have pictured are one piece leather construction. No ventilation and I used them for roof inspections to get them broke in and they did just fine.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 22:37   #14
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Mountainview, there is so much about the purpose of these boots you are not telling us. Until you do, I can not get specific.

Are these on trail, or off trail?
Are these hot weather, cool weather, cold weather?
No pack, light pack, heavy pack?
Dry, wet, jungle, swamp, mountain, temperate forest.....?

What I will say is, buy your boots locally. Wear the socks you plan on wearing with these boots. If you are going to buy new socks, do it before getting the boots. Don't go at the end of the day to buy boots, buy them mid day when your feet are still fresh and walk that store and walk that store and walk that store.

There is enough variety in shoe size from any vendor. I have tried on shoes and had them not fit. Then had the guy go into the back room and pull out another pair and they fit.
Old 08-24-2014, 22:44   #15
Mountainview

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Mountainview, there is so much about the purpose of these boots you are not telling us. Until you do, I can not get specific.

Are these on trail, or off trail?
Are these hot weather, cool weather, cold weather?
No pack, light pack, heavy pack?
Dry, wet, jungle, swamp, mountain, temperate forest.....?

What I will say is, buy your boots locally. Wear the socks you plan on wearing with these boots. If you are going to buy new socks, do it before getting the boots. Don't go at the end of the day to buy boots, buy them mid day when your feet are still fresh and walk that store and walk that store and walk that store.

There is enough variety in shoe size from any vendor. I have tried on shoes and had them not fit. Then had the guy go into the back room and pull out another pair and they fit.
Their recreational use will be warm weather, light pack, trail, but mountainous terrain. Ideally, they could also be the boots kept with my BOB, which means everything except jungles and swamps.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:40   #16
USMC_G19
Ham Salad

Vasque Sundowners. Full leather uppers, EVA sole but has worn extremely well over the last 5 years with some serious use. I usually replace the insole with a pair of orange or green Superfeet too. This combo makes even the longest trek comfortable
Old 08-25-2014, 16:42   #17
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Their recreational use will be warm weather, light pack, trail, but mountainous terrain. Ideally, they could also be the boots kept with my BOB, which means everything except jungles and swamps.
Ok, so what I am hearing is above the ankle, soft tread, gorx, as light of weight as possible because 1oz on the foot feels like 1 pound anywhere else on the body.

I am thinking Merrell® Reflex Mid Waterproof Hikers.
Old 08-29-2014, 19:36   #18
granther

ive got pair of Asolo boots that have bee troopers through 100s of miles over the last several years.
granther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 20:11   #19
jeffreykr

+1 Danner mountain light 2's. amazingly comfortable and sturdy. remember some moleskin for break in, bring with.
jeffreykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 20:46   #20
Mountainview

I'm having trouble nailing the size down on the Mountain II. I'm thankful Amazon has free return shipping.

The other problem with the Mountain II is they rub just above my ankles. They said as I break them it they will feel better, but it was painful to just walk around my living room, so I'm trying the Danner Light II next.

The funny this is I'm not picky with footwear. I usually don't even try sneakers on and have never had a problem. Finding a pair of boots that fit well is taking longer than expected.

Last edited by Mountainview; 08-29-2014 at 20:49..