Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-28-2011, 20:01   #121
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Kimono View Post
I checked the reviews on Amazon and people said they loved it...however they may have been talking about a previous model.
...or been 6.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:25   #122
sebecman

I just bought one of these toys off Amazon - $22.99 and free shipping. I'll post a review when I get it.

Judging from the youtube reviews I watched - $22.99 for a toy that actually does see in the dark is money well spent.

I am surprised that a guy who supposedly buys hand operated wood splitters and saws his logs with a survival cable saw doesn't see that.

sebecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 16:52   #123
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebecman View Post
I just bought one of these toys off Amazon - $22.99 and free shipping. I'll post a review when I get it.

Judging from the youtube reviews I watched - $22.99 for a toy that actually does see in the dark is money well spent.

I am surprised that a guy who supposedly buys hand operated wood splitters and saws his logs with a survival cable saw doesn't see that.

Nothing wrong with hand powered. Not sure what a survival cable is though...

Good luck with the toy.

-Emt1581
Old 11-29-2011, 23:53   #124
arclight610

WikiReaders for sale for $15 (Normally 100) at 1 Sale A Day. It is wikipedia in its entirety (minus images, complex stuff, and html) in a palm-sized black and white electronic reader. 90 hours battery life and uses AA's. Combine this with a solar charger and you could have a potentially invaluable post-SHTF knowledge source. Free online updates every quarter.

I just ordered one.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:15   #125
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Nothing wrong with hand powered. Not sure what a survival cable is though...

Good luck with the toy.

-Emt1581
No nothing wrong with hand powered which is why I reccomended you split your wood with a maul.

Survival cable saw - you posted a thread a while ago loking for the best one so you could cut limbs in your back yard. I am not wasting the time to find that thread but I am sure you remember it.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Honestly I don't see what your problem is. This toy uses infrared to see in the dark over 50 feet away and has a built in camera that you can store video or pictures to a removable Sandisk memory card. For $22.99 shipped that is a deal - even if it just sits behind the seat of my truck and I use it occassionally to view deer in the feild....it's worth it.
Old 11-30-2011, 16:20   #126
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
No nothing wrong with hand powered which is why I reccomended you split your wood with a maul.

Read my last replies in that thread.

Survival cable saw - you posted a thread a while ago loking for the best one so you could cut limbs in your back yard. I am not wasting the time to find that thread but I am sure you remember it.

Oh you mean the pocket chain saw.

Honestly I don't see what your problem is. This toy uses infrared to see in the dark over 50 feet away and has a built in camera that you can store video or pictures to a removable Sandisk memory card. For $22.99 shipped that is a deal - even if it just sits behind the seat of my truck and I use it occassionally to view deer in the feild....it's worth it.
I have no problem. Again, I'm curious to see some feedback after you and others try them out.

-Emt1581
Old 12-05-2011, 22:15   #127
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

Todays deal

12-PACK DURACELL DAYLITE 80-LUMENS LED FLASHLIGHTS
$99.99 + Free Shipping -$5 w/ coupon "daylite"
http://schnoop.com

http://www.duracell.com/en-US/product/daylite-3aaa.jspx

Not bad for a 3-AAA LED flashlight. I could see tossing these in a BOB/GHB, and an extra for the car...or you could put them away for the zombie apocalypse.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:21   #128
quake

Wiley-X safety sunglasses with removable facial-cavity seal, which does help with keeping out wind & dust, but I personally removed & use them as regular sunglasses. They're rated at the higher "-2" high-velocity standard of Z87, with pretty good lenses as well. I've been a fan of wiley-x for quite a while; used their Roamer-2's for several years until one of my sons "adopted" them from me. They have four styles here at $49, which is a very good price. I bought the Brick version and am happy with them so far:
http://www.altatac.com/servlet/the-7...glasses/Detail

Camelback hydration/molle vest, inncluding 103-ounce camelback bladder & hose for $99. It says "one size fits most, but if you're bigger than me (6'3", 50" chest, 38" waist) it may not fit you as it's only 'just' big enough for me, and that's without hard armor under it. With hard armor it'd be borderline for someone my size:
http://www.altatac.com/servlet/the-6...dration/Detail

Lastly, a combo-pack of molle pouches. A 'stacked-double' AR mag pouch that holds four 30-rounders, radio pouch, small-flashlight pouch, and double pistol-mag pouch. Color is the old OD and doesn't match the vest on sale above, but minor to me. I don't like the AR mag pouch quite as well as the 5.11 version, but it's still good, and the whole kit here is just $18.99; less than the usual price of the one 5.11 magazine pouch by itself.
http://www.altatac.com/servlet/the-6...-5-Vest/Detail

One thing to point out - altatac ships strange. Their charges aren't overly high, but they ship in pieces. I placed one order for five items, and they came in four separate packages on two different days. Likely a drop-shipping thing, but just fwiw.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:17   #129
cowboy1964

Quote:
What changes? No.

However, last week I was still reading people's complaints. Again, I'm curious what changes they made. I'll see what google turns up but please share what you've heard.

Thanks

-Emt1581
I've been researching knives this week and from everything I can tell the problem was with the handle breaking back where the hammer part is and they changed the design awhile ago to address that. Gerber is also coming out with a non-serrated version in a few months.

I think the Gerber LMF II is a better overall design. No way in hell I would use a knife as a hammer unless it was sheathed. Talk about dangerous.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 12-06-2011 at 11:18..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:16   #130
Lone Kimono

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I've been researching knives this week and from everything I can tell the problem was with the handle breaking back where the hammer part is and they changed the design awhile ago to address that. Gerber is also coming out with a non-serrated version in a few months.

I think the Gerber LMF II is a better overall design. No way in hell I would use a knife as a hammer unless it was sheathed. Talk about dangerous.
The Prodigy is a good alternative to the LMF as well. It's basically just a smaller version without holes to make it a spear and knife sharpener. If you watch the price on Amazon it can be had for $35. The last one I bought was actually $34 something, but I've only seen it go that low once. I have two of them and am really happy with them.
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 14:53   #131
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Kimono View Post
The Prodigy is a good alternative to the LMF as well. It's basically just a smaller version without holes to make it a spear and knife sharpener. If you watch the price on Amazon it can be had for $35. The last one I bought was actually $34 something, but I've only seen it go that low once. I have two of them and am really happy with them.
Here's a good comparison between the two. Tough choice. Edit: forgot the link: http://heezy.com/gerber.html

I frankly don't need a knife like this but was considering one for the B.O.B./vehicle to be all-around as best prepared as possible. The lighter Prodigy would make a lot of sense but OTOH you reach a point of diminishing returns. I already have a decent multi-tool for small cutting tasks.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 12-06-2011 at 18:19..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 15:18   #132
Lone Kimono

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Here's a good comparison between the two. Tough choice.
I thought so as well and actually ended up owning both. I had the LMF to start, but liked what people said about the weight of the Prodigy. Short answer...I don't think anyone will regret owning both as well. I actually bought a second Prodigy because of the price.

The only thing that worries me is that blade test site beat the crud out of the LMF and it held up well. The Prodigy isn't as wide so it might not take that abuse.
Old 12-07-2011, 18:11   #133
sebecman

Quote:
I have no problem. Again, I'm curious to see some feedback after you and others try them out.

-Emt1581
Well the Spy Gear toy arrived today. I thought about posting a review thread on it but really, there isn't much to say.

It's got a very limited feild of view and the range is more like 20 feet, not the 50 feet they claim. The picture is low resolution as would be expected.

I can see the appeal to kids goofing off with it but the real world application is quite limited. I can just make out the treeline at the edge of my property from my door, there could be an elephant standing there and I would miss it.

I only paid $22.99 shipped but would likely have been better served spending that money on scratch tickets.

My assesment: if you don't have high hopes you probably won't be dissapointed with it.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:23   #134
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Maxpedition sale.

Three FREE Maxpedition Accessories on Qualifying Orders of $99 or More. Use Code: 3XMAS2
OFFER ENDS TUESDAY, DECEMBER 20, 2011 AT 11:59 PM PACIFIC STD TIME
THREE FREE ACCESSORIES ARE #0208SY ROLLYPOLY FOLDING DUMP POUCH (SAFETY YELLOW), #9824F SINGLE M4/M16 SHINGLE (FOLIAGE GREEN) AND #9814G E-10 ENVELOPE CASE (OD GREEN).

Last edited by Bolster; 12-14-2011 at 09:25..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 17:39   #135
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Well the Spy Gear toy arrived today. I thought about posting a review thread on it but really, there isn't much to say.

It's got a very limited feild of view and the range is more like 20 feet, not the 50 feet they claim. The picture is low resolution as would be expected.

I can see the appeal to kids goofing off with it but the real world application is quite limited. I can just make out the treeline at the edge of my property from my door, there could be an elephant standing there and I would miss it.

I only paid $22.99 shipped but would likely have been better served spending that money on scratch tickets.

My assesment: if you don't have high hopes you probably won't be dissapointed with it.

Not sure how I missed this but I actually was going to ask about it today. Seems like "you get what you pay for" still rings true. Thanks for the review.

-Emt1581
Old 12-15-2011, 01:49   #136
DJ Niner

Two weeks, or while supply lasts: 20%-25% off all Mountain House freeze dried foods in #10 cans:

http://beprepared.com/category.asp?c=62
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:02   #137
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
Two weeks, or while supply lasts: 20%-25% off all Mountain House freeze dried foods in #10 cans:

Which one or two is usually the best tasting/well liked?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 12-15-2011, 10:01   #138
sebecman

Quote:

These are good prices, thank you!
Old 12-15-2011, 13:26   #139
Lone Kimono

Quote:

Thanks! I was able to go and get some!
Old 12-15-2011, 17:06   #140
emt1581
Curious Member

Again, what flavors are yall getting?!?

Thanks

-Emt1581