Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-15-2011, 19:03   #141
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Again, what flavors are yall getting?!?

Thanks

-Emt1581
I am ordering a tin of pilot crackers, couple rasp. crumble and some more chili mac.

Actually IMO one of the better deals on this sale is the PP Taco Mix TVP. High calorie/protein content and mixed in with some other MH meal or with rice etc...not that bad.
sebecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 19:06   #142
Lone Kimono

Quote:
Again, what flavors are yall getting?!?

Thanks

-Emt1581

I got the spaghetti and meat sauce and eggs and bacon. That chicken and rice looks like a good value as well though.
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 00:48   #143
DJ Niner

Assuming it's the same as the stuff in the pouches, I prefer the Beef Stroganoff, along with the Rice And Chicken. All I ordered this time was Pilot Crackers, but I'm considering another order after the Christmas shopping is done.

I was thinking about getting some Mac And Cheese, to go with my hoard of Spam...
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:06   #144
emt1581
Curious Member

Awesome, maybe I'll try some...

I did watch a bunch of vids and did some math. For quick, SHORT TERM, SHTF meals these seem pretty good...in cans (due to 30 year shelf life). However, you can buy exponentially more grain, mylar bags/buckets, and a few mills...plus other flavoring and preparation materials for the same it would cost to feed someone for a month or so with these meals.

One problem I had after trying ONE MRE is it gave me the runs for a day or two after eating. Had it been a true SHTF where liquids may have been scarce I probably would have been dehydrated and possibly dead. Not the results I'm hoping for with these...lets keep our fingers crossed.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:55   #145
sebecman

Quote:

I did watch a bunch of vids and did some math. For quick, SHORT TERM, SHTF meals these seem pretty good...in cans (due to 30 year shelf life). However, you can buy exponentially more grain, mylar bags/buckets, and a few mills...plus other flavoring and preparation materials for the same it would cost to feed someone for a month or so with these meals.

One problem I had after trying ONE MRE is it gave me the runs for a day or two after eating. Had it been a true SHTF where liquids may have been scarce I probably would have been dehydrated and possibly dead. Not the results I'm hoping for with these...lets keep our fingers crossed.

-Emt1581
We have been over this before. Low price is not the appeal to freeze dried foods. The appeal is;

1. Very little preparation (just add water)
2. 30 year shelf life
3. Diet diversity
4. Light weight

It's great for times when you have limited fuel/time to prepare a meal that you will actually want to eat. I used it while hiking the AT and I can tell you it's light weight, easy to reconstitute and tastes like a gourmet meal after a hard day.

Sure you can buy a bunch of wheat/oats etc and a mill for less money per volume...what are you going to do with it? With no other preparation, try adding just warm water to your wheat berries and eating it, sure it can be done but cooking time is exponetially longer and you will not enjoy the flavor/texture I promise.

To your last point, Mountain House is not an MRE - not even close. Any experience you had with an MRE does not apply here.

Last edited by sebecman; 12-16-2011 at 06:56..
sebecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 22:52   #146
DJ Niner

Quote:

-Emt1581
I'd recommend finding a local sporting goods/camping store that carries the pouches of Mountain House foods and buying/trying a few. Even some Walmarts carry a limited selection of MH pouch meals in their camping department. Pick out a few, and have one for lunch on some weekend day, so if it doesn't agree with you, you have time to get over it. I've never had that problem specifically with MH foods, but as I get older, ANY radical departure from my normal diet is usually greeted with tummy rumblings (or worse). I think this is one of the reasons that many "new prepper" resources preach a larger-than-normal supply of normal foods as an important building block in food storage planning; fewer problems with adapting to strange foods or textures that you (or your family) are not used to dealing with.

And my experience with MREs (in the military) was exactly the opposite of yours. After a few days of MREs, most folks are passing concrete blocks, if they're passing anything at all...
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:33   #147
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

I hope everyone took advantage of some of the great deals that come up at the supermarket in the runnup to TG:

I saw:

-bulk sugar
-canned cranberries
-canned gravy
-nuts
-flour and baking needs,

…etc, all on sale at times for ridiculously low prices.

I bake with canned cranberries weekly (Cran walnut bran muffins, good for keeping cholesterol in check) and during the year they go for 1.50-2.00 /can.

4 for 3$ (.75c a can) I bought a couple of cases.

Flour, now running in the area of 2-3$ per 5lb bag?

$1 each on special.

Canned gravy, running .50c a can.

Sugar gets cheaper.

In total, you can really stock up..I havent even touched what else was there, all the stuff I saw that are conventional pantry items.

The runnup to Christmas is also good for this. So make your lists but also be prepared to pitch them for all the on-the spot goodies you see. Lots of bulk items at a fraction of what they cost the rest of the year. Pay attention to aisle-enders, and palletloads stacked in the clearings.

Calculate your annual usage and acquire it!
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56   #148
rwrjr

Dick's Sporting Goods is selling the Marlin 795 .22lr semi-auto for $125 until 12/24. There's a Marlin $25 rebate so final price is $100 before tax.

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 13:54   #149
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrjr View Post
Dick's Sporting Goods is selling the Marlin 795 .22lr semi-auto for $125 until 12/24. There's a Marlin $25 rebate so final price is $100 before tax.
I bought a pair of these a few years ago when they ran that special. Awesome deal IMHO!

-Emt1581
Old 12-22-2011, 12:35   #150
quake

rwrjr - Both a 'thank you' and 'darn it' on the 795 deal. Don't need one (don't even need another .22 rifle in general), but I'd never been to the new Dick's in conway ar, and was near there yesterday test-driving a vehicle anyway; so I stopped in. I've considered a 795 as another spare .22 since marlin discontinued the 7000, which is just a 795 with a target barrel & no sights. Ended up picking one of them up while I was there yesterday since it has identical controls and will even share magazines with the 7000 that I like so much.

Thanks again (I've really got to stop checking this thread... )

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:50   #151
rwrjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
rwrjr - Both a 'thank you' and 'darn it' on the 795 deal. Don't need one (don't even need another .22 rifle in general), but I'd never been to the new Dick's in conway ar, and was near there yesterday test-driving a vehicle anyway; so I stopped in. I've considered a 795 as another spare .22 since marlin discontinued the 7000, which is just a 795 with a target barrel & no sights. Ended up picking one of them up while I was there yesterday since it has identical controls and will even share magazines with the 7000 that I like so much.

Thanks again (I've really got to stop checking this thread... )
Yes, this thread has cost me a few dollars too.

I bought 3 of these 795s, would have bought 4 if they had another one. I convinced my wife and two cousins to do an Appleseed this spring so I figured that I would outfit us all with 795s. I took one of them shooting for the first time yesterday and it's small and light. It will be perfect for my wife and my cousins (both women).

Now I just need to get some tech sights and slings on them and we'll be ready for Appleseed.

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner

Last edited by rwrjr; 12-23-2011 at 08:50..
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 20:01   #152
wrenrj1

Anybody got an idea on a good all weather lighter for my Maxpedition EDC? I ordered the following lighter from Cabelas and it was the size of a roll of quarters! It's going back:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Looking for a smaller all weather lighter, but a mini-bic may be the one to carry as long as I check it periodically...
Old 12-23-2011, 20:09   #153
purrrfect 10

Bud Lite 6- 16oz cans $6.19
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 20:44   #154
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Anybody got an idea on a good all weather lighter for my Maxpedition EDC? I ordered the following lighter from Cabelas and it was the size of a roll of quarters! It's going back:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Looking for a smaller all weather lighter, but a mini-bic may be the one to carry as long as I check it periodically...
SOTO has two models you should check out.
Old 12-23-2011, 21:24   #155
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
SOTO has two models you should check out.
Link? Thanks.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:19   #156
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Link? Thanks.
http://www.sotooutdoors.com/products/index.html
Old 12-24-2011, 10:20   #157
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Brunt...h-All+Products

Not sure how this brand compares but seems to be the same/similar thing...on sale.

-Emt1581
Old 12-24-2011, 10:38   #158
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrjr View Post
Yes, this thread has cost me a few dollars too.

I bought 3 of these 795s, would have bought 4 if they had another one. I convinced my wife and two cousins to do an Appleseed this spring so I figured that I would outfit us all with 795s. I took one of them shooting for the first time yesterday and it's small and light. It will be perfect for my wife and my cousins (both women).

Now I just need to get some tech sights and slings on them and we'll be ready for Appleseed.
I bought a 795 last spring for $105 after rebate. Been trying to talk my brother into an Appleseed and finally got him to shoot my 795 while we were deer hunting in November. He calls me up a week or so ago and says he went out and bought 2- 795s. One for his wife and one for his daughter so they can shoot Appleseed as well. I set him up with slings and swivels and he bought Simmons 22 mag 4x scopes for them.

The 795 is a best buy right now. It is also pretty versatile at a stash away rifle. Here's a review www.nylonrifles.com and my attempt at making into a survival rifle. Look at all three parts.

Last edited by mac66; 12-24-2011 at 10:51..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:43   #159
Dexters

Quote:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Brunt...h-All+Products

Not sure how this brand compares but seems to be the same/similar thing...on sale.

-Emt1581
The Soto design had benefits at altitude and cold weather, also higher BTU (I think).
Old 12-24-2011, 14:53   #160
inzone

magnum shotshells

on sale now at Wallmart......15 round packs, Remington 3 inch magnum shotshells....5.95 i think...... this is real eotw zombie whackin ammo!!!! I just bought 200 bucks worth......
inzone is offline   Reply With Quote