Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:46   #1
Ajon412

Off-duty officer thwarts robbery, shoots 4 suspects

.....Great job by the off duty.........I guess they picked the wrong victim...

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/ar...ts-4-suspects/

Quote:
A struggle ensued, and the officer was able to wrestle control of the suspect’s handgun. There was another struggle, over another handgun in the employee’s waistband. The fourth suspect then entered the business to assist, even as the officer got control of the employee’s handgun and used it to shoot all four suspects.
...Outstanding work......

Quote:
A 16-year-old died at the scene. The other suspects, in their early 20s, are being treated for life-threatening injuries, Rockford police Chief Chet Epperson said.
....Too bad for the BG's / It sucks to be them...
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:20   #2
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Great job!!!!

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:10   #3
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Excellent shooting by the officer, but this is a prime example of why I think one should always carry 24/7. It could have went the other way had he not been able to bring a gun into play somehow. He should have had one on his person, IMHO.

Last edited by KiloBravo; 10-04-2011 at 05:10..
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:01   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

I was thinking the other day, and honestly out of our 120 man dept I estimate about 10% carry a firearm period off-duty. Half of those carry a pocket pistol at best, Ruger LCP or jframe.

I think a LEO should carry a real handgun and a reload 24/7, I know I do.

Oh, and great job on the officers part, that is very impressive. I'd like to share a beat with that guy for a night.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:08   #5
A6Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerPredator View Post
Excellent shooting by the officer, but this is a prime example of why I think one should always carry 24/7. It could have went the other way had he not been able to bring a gun into play somehow. He should have had one on his person, IMHO.
I agree 100%. He should buy a lottery ticket because he was pretty lucky going 4 vs 2 and none of the good guys got hurt. Good on him!

Last edited by A6Gator; 10-04-2011 at 07:09..
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:10   #6
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
I think a LEO should carry a real handgun and a reload 24/7, I know I do.
My thoughts and practice exactly, When I was a rookie I flirted with snubbies as primary off duty carry until one day I decided if tomorrow was the day I had to defend my life off duty I'd rather be doing it with a full size gun with extra reloads. From then on my off duty carry was what I carried on duty. ( Snub as a BUG off duty as well as on duty.)

Last edited by Dragoon44; 10-04-2011 at 07:11..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:42   #7
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Don't be a thug and you will not get a dirt nap.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:23   #8
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Remember the first rule of gunfighting:

HAVE A GUN!

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:31   #9
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
I'm surprised to see that Chief Epperson is still in. I heard very bad things a long time back.

Props to Winnebago Co! Trained at PTI!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:48   #10
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover

That off-duty cop was good no doubt. And tough. And lucky his friend had a sidearm the LEO could employ after a struggle over it. I hope the other three perps, as a result of their "life threatening wounds", have it as rough and brutally painful and horribly crippling as possible. I also pray that the justice system brings its full weight of special enhancements reigning down upon them. If they even survive.

Good shoot, Officer.

Nay, GREAT JOB, Officer.

Next time carry your own friggin gun, though.... (jes sayin)
in no particular order.........
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:38   #11
Ajon412

I agree 100 % with the "Always carry off duty" philosophy, but it was never mentioned or referenced if the OD was armed or not. Maybe he was, not sure and I don't want to read too much into the article. The perp might just have been "that close" (bad breath distance) and it was easier to try to gain control of the BG's weapon then to utilize his own, or he just "reacted" based on his training and/or experience. Either way, it turned out well for the good guys and "not so good" for the perps....
Old 10-04-2011, 11:01   #12
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

I am betting if the officer in question was not carrying Off duty before, he is now.

Nothing like having an "Oh ****!!! moment to clarify ones perspective.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:12   #13
strummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
I am betting if the officer in question was not carrying Off duty before, he is now.

Nothing like having an "Oh ****!!! moment to clarify ones perspective.

I don't know any more details that what has been published in the media...but word around here is that this guy's agency forbids off-duty carry.

If he was carrying...he could be looking at some sort of trick-bag.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:27   #14
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummer View Post
I don't know any more details that what has been published in the media...but word around here is that this guy's agency forbids off-duty carry.

What kind of numb nuts dick bag agency would forbid their officers from carrying off duty??? Then again, it is Illinois.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did. If indeed the agency forbids off duty carry, hopefully this incident will make them change that policy.
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:49   #15
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummer View Post

Maybe this incident will change their minds......"EF" department policy, if that's the case....I'd rather violate policy and be alive after WINNING AN ARMED CONFRONTATION WITH FOUR PERPS then to "take a chance", follow policy and become a victim-officer....This OD copper had luck and/or training on his side. I wouldn't bet on it for the next time, but that's just me.....
Old 10-04-2011, 13:24   #16
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailRecoveryAgent View Post
What kind of numb nuts dick bag agency would forbid their officers from carrying off duty??? Then again, it is Illinois.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did. If indeed the agency forbids off duty carry, hopefully this incident will make them change that policy.
Well, it is Illinois... If they truly don't want their Off Duty LEO's carrying a firearm, then someone needs their butt kicked while off duty cops watch.

People talk about the crazy gun laws in California... on paper, Illinois has always looked worse to me.. but I wouldn't want to live in either.

Glad the Officer is ok.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:25   #17
RVER

Nice.
RVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:43   #18
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
People talk about the crazy gun laws in California... on paper, Illinois has always looked worse to me.. but I wouldn't want to live in either.

Glad the Officer is ok.

IGF
Yeah, Kalifornia at least has a carry permit system, whether they issue them or not is another story. The weather is nicer in Kalifornia too.

As far as cops not carrying off duty, I texted a family member and asked him how many of his co workers carry off duty, and he said he'd be surprised if 10% of them do. He said most of them don't even own personal carry guns and that many of them believe "this is a safe city" and the odds of needing a gun off duty is so minimal that it isn't worth the hassle of carrying.

I wonder across the board what the percentage of cops don't carry off duty?
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:55   #19
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailRecoveryAgent View Post
Yeah, Kalifornia at least has a carry permit system, whether they issue them or not is another story. The weather is nicer in Kalifornia too.

As far as cops not carrying off duty, I texted a family member and asked him how many of his co workers carry off duty, and he said he'd be surprised if 10% of them do. He said most of them don't even own personal carry guns and that many of them believe "this is a safe city" and the odds of needing a gun off duty is so minimal that it isn't worth the hassle of carrying.

I wonder across the board what the percentage of cops don't carry off duty?
To the first point, let me just say.......

These must be the same coppers who work "inside". Any road / patrol copper and /or corrections officer with half a brain and who deals with the dregs of society / bottom feeders and "victims" of crimes on a daily, heck even on a weekly basis can't really believe that "any" city is safe. No such place exists, although there are Cities that may be safer than others.....

I'm afraid your family members assessment of the 10% who carry OD may be accurate...THAT, is unfortunate.....
Old 10-04-2011, 14:11   #20
Trigger Finger

Great shooting. I would give this guy free Pizza for life!!! And I would have a cardboard stand up made of him pointing a finger at everyone who came into the business!!

If the agency does not allow their officers to carry off duty that could be very bad and dangerous for the officer and his family. As someone said, I would carry anyway.

In L.A. I carried two and sometimes three guns on duty and one or two off duty and practiced allot. But that was the city of the damned so it's a little different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote