Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2011, 19:07   #81
achall29

2010 Ohio Deer

In 2010 was my first time hunting Ohio with my Glock 20 with a 6' lone wolf barrel. Walking back to my truck I spotted a group of doe, I picked the largest one out of the group. 30 yards out I beaded down on her, fired and she dropped right away. Low and behold I had two down in one shot. I used 180 grain Winchester silver tips. Luckily I had two tags with me at the time. The bullet ended up half way through the smaller deer.

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

Ohio gun for 2011 starts November 28th. Sorry for the late post but I just found this thread.
achall29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 19:47   #82
glock20hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by achall29 View Post
In 2010 was my first time hunting Ohio with my Glock 20 with a 6' lone wolf barrel. Walking back to my truck I spotted a group of doe, I picked the largest one out of the group. 30 yards out I beaded down on her, fired and she dropped right away. Low and behold I had two down in one shot. I used 180 grain Winchester silver tips. Luckily I had two tags with me at the time. The bullet ended up half way through the smaller deer.

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

Ohio gun for 2011 starts November 28th. Sorry for the late post but I just found this thread.
Nice! I have read so many good hunting reports about Winchester Silvertips! They are certainly beefier than most factory loads but not up to snuff compared to BB, Swamp Fox, or DT. I have several boxes and I'm tempted to use them.
glock20hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 20:29   #83
achall29

The Winchesters are fine for the white tail around here. This spring my wife and I are going to Alaska to fish, hike and visit family. I'll have some Double Taps 230s or 200s sighted in by then.
achall29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:16   #84
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
Kegs, thanks so much for testing out the 135gr Nosler JHP on real flesh! It's amazing to see that it achieved full penetration! If you had to guess, how many inches of penetration would you say, about 12-16"?
I stopped counting the trees it went through after it went through the deer when I ran out of road to follow at the Darien gap (I was shooting Southward).

Nah, all kidding aside it went completely through the deer, which would have been yep, 12"+ inches. I don't know how much exactly, because I didn't measure the deer before I skinned and butchered it. Next time I might. A thin rib bone obviously did not stop it (and wouldn't have stopped it on the way in either). The shot penetrated the lungs, but the heart was intact - the left (exit) side of the lungs were just mangled. The exit hole on the outside of the hide was a typical 1/2"-5/8 hole - but inside, it was a solid 2 1/2" if not larger. Earlier I stated 2"-2 1/2", but that hole may have been a tad bigger than that. If I would have had a plastic ruler around here, I would have shown a better perspective of it, but I didn't have one.

Quote:
I'm guessing it held together because it was a lung shot. Lung tissue contains a lot of air, and should limit expansion. Still, it's pretty amazing that the little Nosler made it all the way through. It's good to hear that it was a clean, one-shot kill. I guess it's just proof that it's hard to test a bullet when you're using homogenous substances like water and wax.
This was very clear to me the minute I went to pick up the deer and noted that there were holes on both sides of it.

I have tested this very load in water jugs multiple times and usually the main slug and all the rest of the pieces were in jug #2, so penetration in this round is lacking. Everyone who has been on this forum a while and has paid attention has seen 21carrier's wax tube tests. This is a high energy round and on most testing media it drops its energy quickly. That is devastating, any way you look at it.

Quote:
An animal's body is nowhere near homogenous. Your Nosler went through hair, skin, muscle, a mixture of lung tissue and air, then a rib and more skin/hair. Not exactly a water filled jug!
You got it.

Quote:

More testing is in order! If you can take another, I hope you use another 135gr Nosler JHP. If I get the chance this season, I'll be using a 135gr Nosler at 1700-1800fps from the G20LS. I really hope I get the chance. The more data we have, the better.
Good luck - I would like to see another deer taken with this load. I only had one doe tag, so that's been filled. My freezer is full, so I'm done hunting for deer this year. If there is a winter season and my freezer starts looking empty, I might decide to take another one, but for the moment that's not in the plans.

Good luck to all the 10mm hunters out there!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:21   #85
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Wow 2 deer with (1) shot with the 10 mil...Awesome! How much better can it get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achall29 View Post

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

Old 11-20-2011, 11:01   #86
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

So...

What you are telling us is,

the 10mm is only good enough to take 2 deer at a time.

Hmmmmmmm, gotta improve on that load.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:12   #87
KK40384

All these 10mm deer pics are making me want to take a deer out with a G20. Issue here in Michigan is that mag capacity is restricted to 5+1. Whats the best way to restrict a G20 mag to 5 without sacrificing reliability?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 11-20-2011, 12:04   #88
Ken52789

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK40384 View Post
All these 10mm deer pics are making me want to take a deer out with a G20. Issue here in Michigan is that mag capacity is restricted to 5+1. Whats the best way to restrict a G20 mag to 5 without sacrificing reliability?

That's not true. The law in Mi is 9 rounds in the barrel and magazine combined. I cut some wood and filed it to fit into the mag limiting the number in my gun to 5 i believe. I only plan on using 1 shot anyways. I'll be in the woods tonight with my G20

"A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined."

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...1578--,00.html

Sweet pics btw everyone. Thanks so much

Last edited by Ken52789; 11-20-2011 at 12:05..
Ken52789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:20   #89
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Heya Kegs and everyone else...

Great results with your 135 grain load, man! .... however, I've used 200gr XTP's on all three of my deer and had complete pass-thru on only HALF of my shots on whitetail. I can tell you for SURE that if a spine or even a smallish shoulder bone can stop a 200gr XTP at 1200-1300fps from complete penetration, a 135 would surely be stopped from the same obstacles. Of course, the sheer velocity of this round may be what gives it the advantage here.... we don't know yet. There are lots of things in a hunting situation that will stop a handgun round from doing what its designed to do and tracking a wounded deer for miles while it suffers isn't the goal here.

I'm super glad you had good (actually, perfect) results on a perfect lung-only shot on your doe but I think the jury is still out on them for hunting until we have more data. I don't know that its what we should be sending new hunters out with to kill their first deer.

This post isn't really for you, Kegs, personally, but rather the thread-in-general.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 11-20-2011 at 15:31..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 15:10   #90
cigarman454

WOW! adhall29 that's awesome two with one shot out of a 10mm. The first deer is a large doe lots of penetration to get to the second. Just goes to show the power of the 10mm. Well done.
cigarman454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 15:42   #91
KK40384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken52789 View Post
That's not true. The law in Mi is 9 rounds in the barrel and magazine combined. I cut some wood and filed it to fit into the mag limiting the number in my gun to 5 i believe. I only plan on using 1 shot anyways. I'll be in the woods tonight with my G20

"A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined."

Good to know. I got it mixed up with rifle capacity. Oops on my end

Old 11-21-2011, 08:18   #92
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Note that this DNR law applies to only the SHOTGUN ONLY (lower michigan) part of the state and not up here in the snowy woods where I hunt. :-)

Quote:

Old 11-21-2011, 08:21   #93
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Shot placement is the goal.

Now where are those pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Heya Kegs and everyone else...

Great results with your 135 grain load, man! .... however, I've used 200gr XTP's on all three of my deer and had complete pass-thru on only HALF of my shots on whitetail. I can tell you for SURE that if a spine or even a smallish shoulder bone can stop a 200gr XTP at 1200-1300fps from complete penetration, a 135 would surely be stopped from the same obstacles. Of course, the sheer velocity of this round may be what gives it the advantage here.... we don't know yet. There are lots of things in a hunting situation that will stop a handgun round from doing what its designed to do and tracking a wounded deer for miles while it suffers isn't the goal here.

I'm super glad you had good (actually, perfect) results on a perfect lung-only shot on your doe but I think the jury is still out on them for hunting until we have more data. I don't know that its what we should be sending new hunters out with to kill their first deer.

This post isn't really for you, Kegs, personally, but rather the thread-in-general.
Old 11-21-2011, 13:46   #94
Ken52789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Note that this DNR law applies to only the SHOTGUN ONLY (lower michigan) part of the state and not up here in the snowy woods where I hunt. :-)
Where abouts are you? My family used to have a cabin on around 200 acres not far from Seney wildlife refuge

On topic i'm hoping to have some pics to post up here soon.

Last edited by Ken52789; 11-21-2011 at 13:46..
Ken52789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 17:32   #95
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Shot placement is the goal.

Now where are those pics?
If you send me a PM I can email them to ya.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:14   #96
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Where abouts are you? My family used to have a cabin on around 200 acres not far from Seney wildlife refuge

On topic i'm hoping to have some pics to post up here soon.
Not that far North...still a troll, but can legally hunt with centerfire rifles (and handguns with no mag restrictions)
Old 11-26-2011, 09:01   #97
glock20hunter

Its 62 degrees and a strong wind here in Arkansas. I passed a 7 point yesterday and had a doe broadside at 25yds but it was on my neighbors land.

The 10 Ring
glock20hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:18   #98
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Hey guys ... Just wanted to brag a little and show off the venison we made into jerky to go along with Thanksgiving dinner yeasterday. It was a HUGE HIT at the poker table that night..... MMMMMM

The 10 Ring

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:45   #99
Jitterbug

Man that 10mm style jerky looks really good Nick.

Last edited by Jitterbug; 11-27-2011 at 08:45..
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 13:47   #100
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
Man that 10mm style jerky looks really good Nick.
Yes. Since you started this GREAT thread, (hence, the Host) you have to send a small pack with a couple of strips in it to everyone who posted here.

Congrats, everyone. Reading this thread is very very enjoyable.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote