Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2011, 23:52   #1
flyandscuba

New (used) G36 acquired

I picked up a LNIB G36 yesterday for a very good price at a local pawn shop. I plan to take it to the range tomorrow afternoon for a test run of 200 rounds to assure proper function.

The pistol is stock. The only thing that I plan to do at this point is a "25 cent trigger job". The magazines already had the Pearce +0 bases installed.

I'm in hopes that this is a good G36 that was sold/pawned by the original owner due to a need for cash -- rather than someone who dumped a troublesome G36 with stovepipe issues...

I really like the pistol. The size and weight are ideal for a CCW. Currently, I use a G29SF as an EDC firearm. It has been trouble-free for me and it can continue to serve as my EDC. However, wearing the thinner/lighter G36 makes me want to switch if the G36 proves reliable.

I'll run WWB or something similar through it tomorrow (what ever the range has for range ammo). I plan to carry Winchester Ranger T SXT 230gr. JHPs as self defense ammo -- so I'll run some of that as well, just to make sure it functions properly.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this new (to me) G36 will work. It is serial number KPM06x.
Old 10-05-2011, 17:06   #2
flyandscuba

OK, here's the first range report. I took the G36 to an indoor range in the city I was working with today and ran 100 rounds of WWB through the pistol. I suspect that the pistol hadn't been fired since it left the factory -- or if it had, very little. The first couple of mags through the pistol produced failures to feed -- with the round nosing down into the base of the feed ramp. It usually occurred with the 3rd or 4th round fired from the magazine. Both magazines appeared to experience the failures equally.

I continued to clear the malfunction and resume firing. After about half of the box of ammo (50 rounds) the failures began to subside. By the time I got to the last 24 rounds, the entire magazines were being fired successfully without a failure. I'm hoping this pistol just needs a good break-in.

After I returned to the hotel, I field stripped the pistol and magazines for cleaning and did not see any unusual or inappropriate wear patterns. The feed ramp of the barrel had visible tool marks and was slightly rough. I polished the feed ramp with silver cream to a bright shiney finish. The tool marks are still visible, but the famp feels very smooth to the touch. I may try to run another 100 rounds of ball through it tomorrow. If that goes well, I'll try some of my preferred carry ammo (Winchester Ranger T 230gr JHP +P) to see how it functions.

I liked the way the G36 shot -- and the point of impact was dead on the point of aim at 7 yards. It continues to be extremely comfortable to carry IWB all day long -- even when seated behind the wheel for significant portions of the day.

More updates later -- as I get more range time with it. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that this one ends up being 100% functional.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:24   #3
Pecos Bill

Congrats on the gun. Good to know you have experience and can kick that thing into shape. Happy shooting.
Pecos Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 16:12   #4
flyandscuba

I didn't have the opportunity to return to the range today. However, I did run across a Pearce +1 magazine base. I replaced the +0 base on my spare mag with it. Anyone else using a +1 base on their spare magazine? If so, has it functioned well with it installed? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 16:55   #5
Keyspike

I just bought a used (looked brand new) G36. It is very tight! I cleaned it with Ballistol (according to Hickok45's description on youtube) prior to shooting. A ran couple of patches and barely showed color. It was hard to bring the slide back on the range. Had a FTE on the second mag ( I believe it was the second round in a Pierce+0 mag). I ran about six mags through with no more problems. I ran out of 45 ammo. I'm waiting for a big box from Midway on Monday and was at the range to shoot a new M9A1 (great gun). Next week I will let everyone know if I have more issues. I am carrying it CCW. I see people rack the slides on Glocks a bunch of times to show that they are empty. I would have a hard to doing that. I have to use my left hand, thumb facing in, and yank it hard one time. It is the usual way that I rack a slide. All of my other autos load like butter. The gun breaks down a little hard. Although Hickok45 doesn't recommend oil in the lower half, I did put some on the rails with a syringe with a 22 gauge round needle. I cannot use the slide release (its a standard one) at all to release the slide. I can only do it as described above.

Last edited by Keyspike; 10-06-2011 at 16:57..
Keyspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 21:18   #6
the perfesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandscuba View Post
I didn't have the opportunity to return to the range today. However, I did run across a Pearce +1 magazine base. I replaced the +0 base on my spare mag with it. Anyone else using a +1 base on their spare magazine? If so, has it functioned well with it installed? Thanks!
Bought my G36 lightly used a few years ago with one of two mags with a Pearce +1 base already installed. Since then I have had +1 bases installed on some other, but not all of my mags. No problems worthy of note save the occasional difficulty of racking slide to load first round when mag in +1 configuration. (No problem when loading from slidelock.)

My advice would be to have some mags +1, others stock.

Others have tried the +0 bases and like them. Hopefully thay will chime in soon......

Last edited by the perfesser; 10-06-2011 at 21:18..
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:23   #7
Keyspike

I have 2 Pearce + zeros and one brand new stock mag. The FTE was on the second shot on one of the Plus Zero mags. I got my goodie box of 2000 rounds of mixed ammo from MidwayUSA today. so i can probably go to the range tomorrow. Boy they fast! I ordered Monday morning, standard delivery to the FL Keys. It arrived Thursday afternoon.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:06   #8
captcurly

Congrats with the G36 and every gun needs some break in time. I have been carrying and shooting a G 36 since 2002 and love the thing. This weapon was designed for concealed carry and Glock did a great job. There is a lot of BS on the internet regarding the G36. This weapon has a different feel because it is thinner than all other Glocks. Spend a little time at the range getting use to it. Good Luck.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 17:03   #9
Keyspike

Thank you very much. I'm going to the range tomorrow to try all the upgrades that i did to my 10/22. I'll run a bunch of rounds through the 36 and see if it loosens up a little. I loved the feel of it, although I was dangerous shooting my 1811 after it. I'll have to make sure that I shoot the Springer first. I felt like it was going to take off on me

R,
KeySpike
Old 10-10-2011, 17:14   #10
flyandscuba

I'm trying out all three magazine configurations to see which I like the best: stock, +0 Pearce, and +1 Pearce. So far, I am carrying concealed with the +0 Pearce in the G36 and a +1 Pearce on the belt as a spare mag. Depending upon what I am wearing, the stock mag usually goes in my right front pocket as an additional spare mag. That gives me anywhere from 14 to 20 rounds of ammo in business casual dress.
Old 10-10-2011, 19:30   #11
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
I'm trying out all three magazine configurations to see which I like the best: stock, +0 Pearce, and +1 Pearce. So far, I am carrying concealed with the +0 Pearce in the G36 and a +1 Pearce on the belt as a spare mag. Depending upon what I am wearing, the stock mag usually goes in my right front pocket as an additional spare mag. That gives me anywhere from 14 to 20 rounds of ammo in business casual dress.

Amigo, congrats on your new gun, I got over 1500 rds thru mine , from my hand loads to factory loads , everything, it has never burped once on anything. I will not be popular for this first suggestion, but I am not here to be popular I highly reccomend you stick with the stock mags and forget the extension crap. Alot of guys have had good luck with them and I am happy for them. But I will tell ya this. Change out both mag springs, and use stock mags, and polish the ramp and chamber like a mirror. I do not have problems with any Glock after doing this. A glock is NOT a M1911 that needs breakin in. I have a ton of them and none needed breaking in. They were taken out of the box, and the feed ramp and chamber polished with flitz till I could almost see to shave in them, 'so to speak', and every Glock I own gets the same treatment, and again, I have never had a glitch, except for a G21 waaaaay back years ago and got rid of it, because i did not like it any way. haha

I know all this sounds to simple, but it will cost you the price of two factory mag springs from lone wolf, and a couple minutes more polish time. No matter the powder or the bullet, mine will eat them up, limp wrist, banger style, upside down, you name it. They ALL should, and I believe if you do this, yours will as well. Glocks do not need "breaking in" as we think of the term breaking in.

Out of the box, clean and shoot and they should hold small groups and shoot well even out to 300 yds, Ours do, and on the ranch here, we shoot even the G27 out to 300 yds with excellent results. That G36 you got is a dang nice piece. I am not a plastic guy, yet I own many glocks and have for 14/15 years and load for them all. I never have had a problem doing what I suggested to you with ramp/chamber and all other parts in slide and reciever.

I keep the stock mag springs on all of the glocks i own, loaded up to a year, then go out side and empty them, no real problems. If there is a sticky, I simply change springs, problem (very rare) fixed. I assure you on the high polish of the ramp and chamber, this will, with new springs heal ya up... If not, get back on here and lets go from there... But I believe you'll be fine. My M1911 EDC "when in town" is almost jealous of me carrying this little tack driving G36. 150 rds in on ragged hole 7 to 35 yds, and shoots great waaaaaay out there as well. Enjoy it. It is one of Glocks best guns yet IMO, and I got most of them except the long slides.

Not trying to sound like a wise butt. Just know what has worked for us for a decade and a half. Keep a good grip (not sayin you ain't amigo ) and polish out those machine marks on the ramp a tad more and the chamber. Let's hear from ya ! If ya reload, I use 7.6/7.7grs of Power Pistol with a 230gr XTP and get 905/910fps. Not bad in a small 3" + little light weight !

Congrats Pard, have fun, and good shooting.

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 19:11   #12
Keyspike

[QUOTE=CanyonMan;18025977]Amigo, congrats on your new gun, I got over 1500 rds thru mine , from my hand loads to factory loads , everything, it has never burped once on anything. I will not be popular for this first suggestion, but I am not here to be popular I highly reccomend you stick with the stock mags and forget the extension crap. Alot of guys have had good luck with them and I am happy for them. But I will tell ya this. Change out both mag springs, and use stock mags, and polish the ramp and chamber like a mirror. I do not have problems with any Glock after doing this. A glock is NOT a M1911 that needs breakin in. I have a ton of them and none needed breaking in. They were taken out of the box, and the feed ramp and chamber polished with flitz till I could almost see to shave in them, 'so to speak', and every Glock I own gets the same treatment, and again, I have never had a glitch, except for a G21 waaaaay back years ago and got rid of it, because i did not like it any way. haha"

I polished all of the surfaces that touch in my 1911 with 1200 emory paper or in some cases Flitz. it runs like silk. My thoughts on the mags are that if Glock thought that they would be more reliable with extenders, they would have put them on the 36 that way from the factory. Since they didn't, I carry the weapon with the factory mag, since those 6 shots are what I'd put my life on the line for, and use the Pearce mags at the range. The Pearce mags were what my gun came with. I haven't had any "pinky pinch" from the stock mag and in a life threatening situation, I doubt that it would be what I would thinking about. My plan is to polish as you suggest and hope that the springs "soften" a little from using it. It is surprisingly accurate and the recoil is amazing for a gun of that small!
R,
Keyspike
Old 10-11-2011, 22:54   #13
Woody Jones

I really like my 36 as well -- like other folks said, they are quite accurate. I've been using +1's on half my mags & have to say that they just make the grip feel so much better. Congratulations on picking up a great pistol.

CW4 USA retired
NRA Life Member, VFW Life Member (G21,G30,G36 and G19)
21 Club #0051,Big Dawg #1600, Florida Glockers #213036, Kalashnikov Klub # 213036,
Woody Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:53   #14
Keyspike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Jones View Post
I really like my 36 as well -- like other folks said, they are quite accurate. I've been using +1's on half my mags & have to say that they just make the grip feel so much better. Congratulations on picking up a great pistol.
Have you had any FTEs with the +1s? I have had 2 with the +0s, both on the second round.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:46   #15
Woody Jones

I haven't had any problems with them, but I have heard of those who have.

CW4 USA retired
NRA Life Member, VFW Life Member (G21,G30,G36 and G19)
21 Club #0051,Big Dawg #1600, Florida Glockers #213036, Kalashnikov Klub # 213036,
Woody Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:16   #16
Keyspike

I'm going to try to get to the range tomorrow. It was brutally hot today.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:47   #17
G36_Me

Almost forgot that I have the feed ramp on my barrel polished and smoothed. I don't really know if it makes any difference. I had the feed ramp touched up before I ever made my first trip to the range. My armorer used a dremel tool to do the polish and shine. It seemed to really be a buffing process on steroids.

At the time, the G36 was my first Glock and I wasn't an armorer. For my G17, I didn't do anything on the feed ramp and never had an issue.
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:42   #18
Pecos Bill

Quote:
I've been using the +1 base for about a year now with no problems. Didn't do anything to the spring, just used the original.
Pecos Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 23:19   #19
Keyspike

I ran a box through my 36 on Friday. Flawless!
Old 11-05-2011, 22:53   #20
Glock Master

Congrats on the G36.
It's a great pistol.
Glock Master is offline   Reply With Quote