GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2011, 20:37   #1
Grayson

What to say to help support a LEO who...

...has been wounded in the line of duty, but returned fire and killed the perp? The LEO wasn't seriously hurt ( less than an inch of difference in shot placement though and... )

I should add that I don't live in a big metro area where this is an everyday occurrence...I honestly can't remember the last time we had a police shooting around here.

I don't even know the LEO involved personally, I just met him once while he was working security at a school fundraiser a while back. Still, I felt the need to call the office, or send a card or something - and I knew it was the right thing to do when I heard that he was having a hard time coping with the stress of the event.

FWIW, all I have is media to go by but it looks to be a textbook case of a justified shoot. Still, putting someone in the ground isn't the sort of thing most people can just shrug off the same as bumping into someone and making them spill their coffee. And it was a "domestic disturbabce" call and a relative of the perp was there during the shooting...

So yeah, totally clueless here, ideas appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
make it SUPER EASY!

Call the Senate on Bloomberg's dime: 855-440-4800
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 21:05   #2
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

The aftermath of a police involved shooting can be pretty lonely and you feel isolated. A simple thank you card or get better card from someone in the community can go a long way. Just send it to the PD.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 22:14   #3
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post
The aftermath of a police involved shooting can be pretty lonely and you feel isolated. A simple thank you card or get better card from someone in the community can go a long way. Just send it to the PD.
This...Simply stated.....

Last edited by Ajon412; 10-06-2011 at 22:15..
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:31   #4
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
I think the most important thing is to express your support and appreciation.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:05   #5
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

I'd call, he is probably on admin leave, so leave a voicemail at the dept. A simple "thank you, you are in my thoughts" would go a long way. A card is a good suggestion but there is something more personal in a phone call, even if it is a recorded message you end up leaving.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:57   #6
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

"I'm glad you're alright."
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:13   #7
ray9898

I would go with the card. I have always deeply appreciated the thought behind the card for the "thank you's" I have received.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:52   #8
CAcop

A card with "hope you are doing better/get well soon" would be just about right.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:58   #9
Patchman
Florist

^^^^ What those guys have suggested.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:14   #10
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Link to incident?
Old 10-08-2011, 07:22   #11
redbrd

Tell him "good job". After a shooting like that he will go through several interviews regardless of how they are conducted they are trying to determine whether or not it was a good shoot or not, and what the liability is going to be. So the best thing you can say to him is "good job" or you did the rights thing.
Making to big a deal out of it will make him feel awkward don't treat him like a victim because that it stupid, he knew when he signed on and put that gun on that he may need to use it one day.
redbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:21   #12
JBaird22

A I'm, my family, my friends, whatever is applicable, glad you're okay and we appreciate your service to our community is about all you can say.

After an incident in which you fought and prevailed at the expense of another human's life can cause emotions to range from survivor guilt to fear of prosecution to people not understanding. While the rest of us would say to ourselves "the guy got what he bought" this officer may not be feeling that way. Its best to keep it simple, supporting and kinda vague really.

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 18:31   #13
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
Link to incident?
http://www.wkyk.com/news.shtml - scroll down to 9/30 and 10/3

Thanks for the ideas/feedback!

and
make it SUPER EASY!

Call the Senate on Bloomberg's dime: 855-440-4800
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 20:07   #14
PuroMexicano
VIVA MEXICO !!!

a copy of this thread where we all send him good wishes and a speedy recovery, physical and emotional.
Quote:
I once didn't kill a mountain lion by hand when it tried to stare me down...once.
Quote:
Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.:rofl::rofl:
PuroMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote